HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Itís Optimus Reim or Bust

Old
01-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Darcy Tucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can excuse the 2nd goals in either of the last 2 games.

Those were both pathetic softies.
yeah they were. they crippled us too. but we still dont win either of those games with Reimer in.

and remember the blue line shot Reimer let in last time he played the Sens? he was on his knees on the goal line... as the puck is being moved around the outside to the point.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:54 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Reims' play really doesn't have much to do with it.

Gus is a 27 year old who hasn't shown anything at the NHL level, and just when we thought he might be, he goes back to letting in ridiculous bush league goals again.

We gave him a nice little run there but it's definitely time to switch it up.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:00 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
I'm not sure how anyone can excuse the 2nd goals in either of the last 2 games.

Those were both pathetic softies.
The 2nd goal in the Sabres game, he should have had, despite it deflecting off Gunnar (who shoulda got outta the way of the shot if he wasn't gonna block it). The deflection happened pretty far from the net, and it wasn't a hard shot.

Boyle's goal was a perfect screen by Franson. I have no idea what he was doing right in front of Gus. I don't think Gus saw much of that shot.

As far as I'm concerned, Gus let in one softie in 6 games, and even that one wasn't a "pathetic" goals that just find their way straight through a goalie (with no traffic) that we're used to seeing from #34.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Even if he had avoided the collision with Brian Gionta in Montreal on Oct. 22, chances are Reimer would be a shell of last season
No, Howard.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Is the Sens PP still #1 in the league? I remember we faced them earlier this year and they just absolutely lit us up on the PP.
nope 15th in the league now

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
The 2nd goal in the Sabres game, he should have had, despite it deflecting off Gunnar (who shoulda got outta the way of the shot if he wasn't gonna block it). The deflection happened pretty far from the net, and it wasn't a hard shot.

Boyle's goal was a perfect screen by Franson. I have no idea what he was doing right in front of Gus. I don't think Gus saw much of that shot.

As far as I'm concerned, Gus let in one softie in 6 games, and even that one wasn't a "pathetic" goals that just find their way straight through a goalie (with no traffic) that we're used to seeing from #34.
I find it unbelievable that you would attempt to defend either of those goals in any way, shape, or form.

Those were horrific softies. weak wristers from way out that gus was nowhere remotely close to, even though they weren't anywhere near the corners of the net. Just embarassing bush league stuff.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:12 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ulimate Reims View Post
nope 15th in the league now
Could move up depending on how many we give them.. Putting Rosehill in doesn't really help that. If he gets one bad penalty...

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Reims' play really doesn't have much to do with it.

Gus is a 27 year old who hasn't shown anything at the NHL level, and just when we thought he might be, he goes back to letting in ridiculous bush league goals again.

I remember when Tim Thomas was a "27 years old who hadn't shown anything at the NHL level".

While I don't expect him to be Tim Thomas, I would think we should take encouragement from the fact he has shown stretches of very strong play at the NHL level as well as phenomenal play in other high level leagues.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Is the Sens PP still #1 in the league? I remember we faced them earlier this year and they just absolutely lit us up on the PP.
Sens 15th, Toronto 4th. Edmoton 2nd. (Had to throw that in there)

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Hey, I'm not saying to waive him today.

He's played like a decent backup this year, at least, which is valuable enough.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Difference is, Gus went 4-2-0 in his little stretch, while Reimer went 3-4-3 not counting his horrible preformance against the Panthers that cost us that game. Before Gus was replaced by the return of our "#1 goalie", he had a 5-2-0 streak going, dating back to his battle for starter position with Scrivens.

His 4 losses since the Scrivens / Gus competition (Nov 19th) came against the Bruins, Canucks, Rangers, and Sabres, and outside of the Sabres game, the others were pretty much default losses with the way those teams have been playing.

Like Burke said, Gus is a huge reason why we're still in the playoff picture atm.

Quote:
I find it unbelievable that you would attempt to defend either of those goals in any way, shape, or form.

Those were horrific softies. weak wristers from way out that gus was nowhere remotely close to, even though they weren't anywhere near the corners of the net. Just embarassing bush league stuff.
Watch the replay, and check where Franson is on Boyle's goal. I don't know how anyone could say that Gus saw that puck all the way to the back of the net. Oh, I know how. It's Gus.

Quote:
Hey, I'm not saying to waive him today.

He's played like a decent backup this year, at least, which is valuable enough.
For a "backup", he sure did face teams like the Bruins, Rangers, Pens, Capitals, Canucks an aweful lot this season.

Last edited by 4evaBlue: 01-17-2012 at 11:39 AM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Darcy Tucker

I am pretty certain that if Gustavsson goes to another NHL team as an after-thought and lands a back up role he will come back to haunt and play spectacularly like Elliot in St. Louis, Smith in Phoenix etc.

He has the potential to be amazing, if the physical tools are there and mental ability is whats holding him back then its only a matter of time.

Writing him off because hes 27 and we have Reimer, who has yet to prove he can be a #1 and carry a 60+ games load, is a weak argument.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Ari91

I hope Allaire has been drilling it into Reimer's head that he needs to play more at the top of his crease. He's been playing way too deep in his crease this season. He's having a harder time tracking the puck but at least if you're playing at the top of your crease, you're taking away lot of the net from the shooter which at least gives you a better chance at making the save.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

this may sound stupid but anyone else notice that reimer isnt lifting his shoulders up as much as he did last year? so many times last year he would be down and then catch a piece of a shot labelled in the top corner by lifting his shoulders..ive seen a few shots just sail in the net that i believe would have been stopped last year

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
spidergoalie

In Reimer's interview yesterday he made mention of getting back to the top of the crease where he should be.
I liked hearing that because it demonstrated an actual isolation of a problem area, and a defined intention and strategy to fix it.

I am really really tired of the Reimer versus Gus thing.
I fully admit I prefer Reimer both in terms of his style of goaltending (which is very very much like Giguere who is my all time favorite goalie) and in terms of his personality, but that is not to say I don't like Gus. Actually I've liked the real changes and improvements in Gus's game beyond the wins or stats, and aside from the yelling and stick smashing last year (which without doubt was frustration with himself and not his teammates), there is nothing unlikeable about the guy at all. I truly and deeply want both to succeed. I want any goalie in blue and white with a leaf on his chest to succeed!

I am even more tired of the myopic view of Leaf fans and media. Reimer is a quality goalie with solid technique and a great head on his shoulders. Even if the rest of the year he struggles, in the big picture I believe he will be the #1 goalie for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and provide us with quality goaltending that may even rival the Belfour, Cujo, Potvin days.

Tonight is not Reimer or bust. It is one game against a hot team. Hopefully Reims plays well and we win, but if not...oh well. It is not the end of the world, the season or Reimer's career.

spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
ThreeHundred

I think we need a proven Goalie like Cam Ward, it will be very hard to acquire but I'm not sure Reimer is our guy

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
zeke
#freewilly

cam ward is doing no better than Reimer this year, and he doesn't have a concussion excuse.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Strange world, we live in, when the fan-base and management's preference/decision to play a hot and winning goaltender instead of James Reimer means that everyone is 'giving up' on James Reimer.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
KuleminFan41

This stretch of him not playing will only make him hungry to keep his spot. He'll regain his spot soon enough and think of it this way. He's getting more rest from his head injury this way. Maybe its not the best way but what can ya do

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
pspot

trade for miller, goalie is to important to hope they do well

pspot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
somecut*

Bust.

somecut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Stephen

Quote:
it happens to nearly every second-year athlete in pro hockey and is almost always followed by a bounce-back in year three.
Only in a loser town like Toronto is the 'sophomore slump' taken to actually be a universal fact.

WRONG Howard Berger, sophomore slumps are not a good, normal nor an excusable thing. These fools are paid to perform, and no one is taking a third year bounce back as a give.

Please explain to Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin, Jonathan Toews, Erik Karlsson, Pat Kane, Alex Pietrangelo, Jordan Eberle, Jamie Benn, Ryan O'Reilly, Tuukka Rask, Nicklas Backstrom, Pekka Rinne, Drew Doughty etc. what the sophomore slump is.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Polk High

The thread title would have been funnier if it said, It's "Optimus Reim" or "Bust a Reim"

Polk High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:39 PM
devilishleafs

After tonites game with the Sens Im saying he is a bust. He let a bad goal cause he is going down way to early, similar to Miller. Time to pull the trigger and get some real players in TO.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Cleric

Quote:

Wait, are you talking about the goal that Gunnarsson screen and redirected?

Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote