HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Old
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

vCash: 500
Call him up, let someone claim him, and end this sideshow already. I'm so sick of Sean freakin' Avery. He's done in NY; who'se fault that is is irrelevant. The team's playing the best it has in ages, without him. Let's let go and move on. He's now not only a distraction to the NHL club but appears to be a detriment to the AHL room. This needs a conclusion.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
he did. pay attention
Then it was still his choice not to go.

01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Call him up, let someone claim him, and end this sideshow already. I'm so sick of Sean freakin' Avery. He's done in NY; who'se fault that is is irrelevant. The team's playing the best it has in ages, without him. Let's let go and move on. He's now not only a distraction to the NHL club but appears to be a detriment to the AHL room. This needs a conclusion.
Florida was the mystery team who asked sather to put him on re-entry to make a claim last week.

http//www.calgarysun.com/2012/01/15/selanne-refuses-to-rule-out-change-of-address

They moved on and signed Madden instead. Pay Avery his his money and GET HIM THE HELL AWAY FROM YOUNG PLAYERS.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:12 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Torts has his team playing better than it has in over 15 years and you are incessantly ripping on Torts because you feel he wronged a player you love.

It's beginning to appear that if the Rangers were to win the Cup ths year that that would not be enough for you.

When a player alienates multiple ownerships and coaches, isn't it possible that the fault may lie with the player and not with the coach?
Yes, I would be miserable if we won the Stanley Cup this year.

Since when do we award a champion 40+ games into a season?

And how does any part of what you're saying disprove the fact that Sean Avery is a better hockey player than guys on this team right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I don't know what "facts" you seem to be abiding by, but Avery has been almost non-existent this year. He had that nice goal at the beginning of the year shortly after he got re-called, but he did almost nothing after that. And it's not like this year is an anomaly, he was declining towards fringe status last year also. He's simply a player in decline.

And somehow, he's better then Rupp and Mitchell? Rupp brings size, versatility and toughness to the team's bottom lines (as well as the occasional timely goal). Mitchell has actually been a nice surprise this year, he can play down low well and he knows what to do with the puck when he gets it. I guess you could justify him being better then Christensen, but really, you think it's worth it to keep Avery's cap hit on the team when he's done almost nothing this year?

Somehow? When in Mike Rupp's career has he ever been better than Sean Avery?

John Mitchell is a mediocre hockey player. He can do a lot of the same things that Avery does, but he doesn't have the offensive upside that Sean does. For a team that really hasn't gotten any production from the bottom six, you'd think there would be more people that would want a player who can contribute offensively.

Quote:
You know, the world doesn't revolve around to Avery. It isn't that he isn't PC or that he wore sneakers and a t-shirt that's the issue, he violated team rules that are clearly spelled out. Why should he be an exception to those rules? I don't know if you have a job or not, but if you don't follow a business' rules, say goodbye to your job.
You're not getting it. Which isn't shocking. I defend him all the time because everything gets blown up. I stated earlier in the thread that he broke a rule and got reprimand. Good. I see you didn't quote that though. My issue is it gets skewed into being a completely speculative bunch of BS assertions. It started with him spitting on his coach, now he's a cancer in the Whale locker room and the reason they're losing. None of it is supported by any fact. It never is. It's speculative BS from people who hate Avery and have been doing this his whole career when he does something. He waves his stick in front of a goalie and he's a disrespectful POS that has no respect for the game of hockey. He talks trash (like he always does) and someone says he made fun of an ex-players cancer. Factual? Not one bit. But it didn't stop it from happening and then being attached to him for the rest of his career. He gets called a ****** in the preseason and people blame him for being a sideshow and breaking some sort of honor code by answering a question when the media asked him about it.

These are the types of reasons why I defend him. I don't give a crap about the 11 people on this message board who hate the fact that the guy they hates has fans.

Quote:
Yes, blame the guy who has won a Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay and currently has this team at the top of the Eastern Conference.
Who the **** cares about Tampa Bay? Why on earth does that matter to me, as a fan of the New York Rangers?

Torts has done a great job this season. He was atrocious when he took over for Renney, costing us an upset victory over a number one seed we should have beaten. He did an awful job the year we missed the playoffs. And last season he needed a team with nothing to play for to defeat a team with everything to play for on their home ice in order for his team to make the playoffs.

Bravo, Torts. Bravo.

He's a motivator. He's done a good job this season. This team still has glaring issues and he seems incapable of addressing any of them.

He's finally got his boy Richards here. But unfortunately he's 31 now. And hate to break it to you, but there's no St. Louis' and Lecavalier's in their prime here either. So color me skeptical about his ability to make this team a champion.

At some point the motivational rah-rah stuff wears thin and you've got to bring something of substance to the table. This is a coach who can't solve the power play, openly admits that he doesn't pay any attention to his opponents, and talks about how he does not work on offense at all.

Sorry, but there are a lot of things to complain about with the guy, regardless of how well he's done this season. I like him. I root for him. Just like I do everybody on this team. And I criticize him when necessary. When he puts his ego and personal feelings ahead of the team, I think its appropriate to criticize him.

Quote:
I think the joke is that you are defending Avery so much and acting like he has "untouchable" status, that he can do no wrong, and that he is still an effective player.
Wow more generalizations and assumptions. Perfectly fitting for an Avery thread, even if they're directed at me.

How is stating that he's a better hockey player than Erik Christensen, John Mitchell, and Mike Rupp equivalent to stating he has "untouchable status"?

Who would you rather have on the fourth line..Avery, or Wolski?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

The only one keeping Avery in limbo is himself.
It is unfortunate, because if his head was screwed on right he could have been a valuable player for us. The way things are going with him at this point i doubt anyone wants to take a chance on him.

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:54 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
The only one keeping Avery in limbo is himself.
It is unfortunate, because if his head was screwed on right he could have been a valuable player for us. The way things are going with him at this point i doubt anyone wants to take a chance on him.
What did he do that would suggest his head wasn't screwed on right?

He had three goals in 15 games this season while getting about six minutes a game.

How is that in any way, shape, or form, bad?

Rupp has 4 goals in 21 games and he's lauded by the Avery detractors as if its insulting to even compare him to Sean.

Never mind looking at their careers. Rupp has no chance to compare there.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:56 PM
chosen

Ruckus-

I never said the Rangers have won the Cup. You are contorting to make points

The only indisputable fact is that you think Torts is hurting his team just to punish Avery.

That is flat out nutty.

Would you prefer Torts fired and Avery back on Broadway?

Yes or no?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
I agree. He's had his time on the team and now he's fallen into the wayside. I couldn't bear to see him in another shift in the NHL. He needs to go.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:08 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ruckus-

I never said the Rangers have won the Cup. You are contorting to make points

The only indisputable fact is that you think Torts is hurting his team just to punish Avery.

That is flat out nutty.

Would you prefer Torts fired and Avery back on Broadway?

Yes or no?
Not at all. As I've stated a million times I would prefer Avery in the lineup over John Mitchell for starters. That isn't even debatable to me. I understand the EC salary cap thing, but at the beginning of the season when this was going on and he was first sent down my biggest beef was that MZA was here and being used as a bottom six forward in a spot that suits Sean perfectly.

I like Mike Rupp. People confuse my comparisons of him and Sean as me saying I don't. I think he's a slow hockey player that can contribute. To me, Avery is a player who can contribute very similar things, is much, much, much quicker, and has higher offensive upside. I don't think that it has to be one or the other on this roster.

What I would prefer is a coach that didn't have a giant ego and was able to work with players who can be an asset to his hockey club. Torts proved over and over again that instead of trying to be a coach, he'd rather be an arrogant S.O.B.

Again, if you think that John Tortorella's dislike for Sean Avery has nothing to do with the role that he played under Torts and nothing to do with the fact that he's not on this team anymore, you're ignorant.

I've stated that obviously it's not the end of the world, because it's a bottom six forward, but it bothers me because it's rooted out of spite and dislike from the head coach, much the same as most of the comments in here are from those who can't stand him.

As long as there are bottom six forwards on this hockey club that Sean Avery is better than, I think it's completely fair to question the coach.

Your question isn't really relevant. And as I said at the beginning the answer is no. But to ask for a head coach to not act like a middle school child when it comes to a player shouldn't be too much to ask. People get on Avery for the way he acts but with Torts they seem to love it. Even though as the head coach he's the one who needs to act appropriates. More is expected of him.

It's fascinating to me how many people there are that detest Avery and get on him about his immaturity, how he handles situations, and his attitude, and at the same time defend our head coach.

Avery and Torts are literally the same person. The difference is one is the head coach and one is the player. And that means one had the ability to run the other out of town.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Sorry, but blaming this on Tortorella is just asinine. Avery was placed on re-entry waivers and any team in the league could've had him at 1/4 of his current contract and EVERY SINGLE TEAM passed on taking him for next to nothing. That speaks volumes. Whatever your current assessments of Avery talent level(s) are, it's clear that every other organization in the NHL vehemently disagrees with you - and that should be enough for you to reassess whatever it is you think he can still bring to the table.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
What did he do that would suggest his head wasn't screwed on right?

He had three goals in 15 games this season while getting about six minutes a game.

How is that in any way, shape, or form, bad?

Rupp has 4 goals in 21 games and he's lauded by the Avery detractors as if its insulting to even compare him to Sean.

Never mind looking at their careers. Rupp has no chance to compare there.
He keeps getting in "trouble", and seems to have a real hard time keeping focus when he is facing adversity. Where other players put their head down and work hard to get back, Avery makes remarks in the media, refuses to follow team rules etc.
Avery himself, out of all people, should know that it takes less for him to get fingers pointed at him. He has a history of this doing things that gets media attention, some less smart than other, and should do whatever he can to avoid negativ attention.
But he dosnt care.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Crease

I don't think anyone here questions whether Avery has NHL-caliber skills. But what is clear is that every coach/GM in the league agrees that his skills do not justify the cost of his contract and the headaches he brings to the locker room and coaching staff.

The whole "He's better than [insert 4th line scrub or healthy scratch]" argument is moot. Talent doesn't always win out over hard work/cohesiveness/chemistry. This isn't fantasy hockey or a video game.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Somehow? When in Mike Rupp's career has he ever been better than Sean Avery?
Right now, actually. Even when he was still adjusting after his surgury, he showed more then Avery has so far this year.

Quote:
John Mitchell is a mediocre hockey player. He can do a lot of the same things that Avery does, but he doesn't have the offensive upside that Sean does. For a team that really hasn't gotten any production from the bottom six, you'd think there would be more people that would want a player who can contribute offensively.
Avery had 3 goals in 15 games and brought very little else to the table. Where is this offensive upside that you are talking about? Because it sure as hell hasn't been around this season.

Quote:
You're not getting it. Which isn't shocking. I defend him all the time because everything gets blown up. I stated earlier in the thread that he broke a rule and got reprimand. Good. I see you didn't quote that though. My issue is it gets skewed into being a completely speculative bunch of BS assertions. It started with him spitting on his coach, now he's a cancer in the Whale locker room and the reason they're losing. None of it is supported by any fact. It never is.
Alright, I'll actually kind of agree with you on this point. But...

Quote:
It's speculative BS from people who hate Avery and have been doing this his whole career when he does something. He waves his stick in front of a goalie and he's a disrespectful POS that has no respect for the game of hockey.
Actually, as amusing as it was, I would argue that that incident was disrespectful. The league thought so as well, hence, they changed the rule.

Quote:
He talks trash (like he always does) and someone says he made fun of an ex-players cancer. Factual? Not one bit. But it didn't stop it from happening and then being attached to him for the rest of his career. He gets called a ****** in the preseason and people blame him for being a sideshow and breaking some sort of honor code by answering a question when the media asked him about it.

These are the types of reasons why I defend him. I don't give a crap about the 11 people on this message board who hate the fact that the guy they hates has fans.
You can't honestly tell me with a straight face that Avery deserves the benefit of the doubt given his history? You are aware of how many controversies he has started, and how many coaches and teammates he has pissed off, right?

Quote:
Who the **** cares about Tampa Bay? Why on earth does that matter to me, as a fan of the New York Rangers?
You know, it only means that he has won something before and knows what it takes. He has actually proven that he can win.

Quote:
Torts has done a great job this season. He was atrocious when he took over for Renney, costing us an upset victory over a number one seed we should have beaten. He did an awful job the year we missed the playoffs. And last season he needed a team with nothing to play for to defeat a team with everything to play for on their home ice in order for his team to make the playoffs.

Bravo, Torts. Bravo.

He's a motivator. He's done a good job this season. This team still has glaring issues and he seems incapable of addressing any of them.

He's finally got his boy Richards here. But unfortunately he's 31 now. And hate to break it to you, but there's no St. Louis' and Lecavalier's in their prime here either. So color me skeptical about his ability to make this team a champion.

At some point the motivational rah-rah stuff wears thin and you've got to bring something of substance to the table. This is a coach who can't solve the power play, openly admits that he doesn't pay any attention to his opponents, and talks about how he does not work on offense at all.

Sorry, but there are a lot of things to complain about with the guy, regardless of how well he's done this season. I like him. I root for him. Just like I do everybody on this team. And I criticize him when necessary. When he puts his ego and personal feelings ahead of the team, I think its appropriate to criticize him.
You seem to be very reluctant to give Torts any credit for the team's successes (I find that comment of "should of upset the #1 seed" very amusing). Hey, every coach has his flaws, but the guy has us on the right track.

Quote:
Wow more generalizations and assumptions. Perfectly fitting for an Avery thread, even if they're directed at me.

How is stating that he's a better hockey player than Erik Christensen, John Mitchell, and Mike Rupp equivalent to stating he has "untouchable status"?
The "untouchable" status to me was that you seem to think that it's "no big deal" that he violated the dress code. Sure, he didn't spit on a coach, but you seem to just simply write it off like it shouldn't be a big deal. You give the impression that it's ok for Avery to act like the way he has, when it absolutely isn't.

Quote:
Who would you rather have on the fourth line..Avery, or Wolski?
I don't know why you are bringing Wolski into this, but at this point, Wolski. Sure, he doesn't fit the bottom 6 player mold, but at least he has some talent.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:24 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Sorry, but blaming this on Tortorella is just asinine. Avery was placed on re-entry waivers and any team in the league could've had him at 1/4 of his current contract and EVERY SINGLE TEAM passed on taking him for next to nothing. That speaks volumes. Whatever your current assessments of Avery talent level(s) are, it's clear that every other organization in the NHL vehemently disagrees with you - and that should be enough for you to reassess whatever it is you think he can still bring to the table.
The waivers argument is the what's asinine. You do realize that players pass through waivers all the time, and it says nothing about their ability to play hockey, correct? You also are aware that teams have to, you know, put a roster together without the assumption that some player somewhere might become available to them?

No one is arguing that Sean Avery is Wayne Gretzky. He's a bottom six forward. Passing through waivers says nothing about his ability to play hockey. If you think there aren't plenty of players in this league in the bottom six on their roster that Sean Avery isn't better than then you don't watch the game. Avery has a reputation and at his age teams aren't going to be too likely to take a chance. It says absolutely zero about him as a hockey player. Dale Weise was claimed by freaking Vancouver. Do you think Dale Weise is a better hockey player than Sean Avery? The list goes on an on.

Quote:
He keeps getting in "trouble", and seems to have a real hard time keeping focus when he is facing adversity. Where other players put their head down and work hard to get back, Avery makes remarks in the media, refuses to follow team rules etc.
Avery himself, out of all people, should know that it takes less for him to get fingers pointed at him. He has a history of this doing things that gets media attention, some less smart than other, and should do whatever he can to avoid negativ attention.
But he dosnt care.
What trouble did he get in as a New York Ranger?

His coach hates him, cut him before the season started after making him fly to Europe, lying to him about giving him a fair chance, and then mocked him on his way out the door.

He got a chance to return because of injuries, much to the chagrin of his coach, played fine for someone who was getting 6 minutes of ice time, was scratched game after game after game, and then was subsequently demoted again.

He's not an idiot. He knows his coach wants nothing to do with him and he knows that he has no chance at playing for this organization as long as Torts is here and the entire team isn't in the infirmary. Him being irritated shouldn't be much of a surprise. Him wearing jeans and sneakers in the AHL isn't a big deal. He was reprimanded for breaking that rule. End of story. He has no shot at "making it back". This coach wants nothing to do with him. Do you not get that?

What comments has he made to the media that were blasphemous or inaccurate?

Your post is typical of all the anti-Avery stuff. Generalizations. Assertions. Lots of fluff and innuendo. But not really actually saying anything of substance.

What else is new though.

Old
01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I dont want his cap hit on our hands, even if it is only 450k. Wait until after the trade deadline, if we dont make any moves, let some team take him like what we did with the stars.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
The waivers argument is the what's asinine. You do realize that players pass through waivers all the time, and it says nothing about their ability to play hockey, correct? You also are aware that teams have to, you know, put a roster together without the assumption that some player somewhere might become available to them?

No one is arguing that Sean Avery is Wayne Gretzky. He's a bottom six forward. Passing through waivers says nothing about his ability to play hockey. If you think there aren't plenty of players in this league in the bottom six on their roster that Sean Avery isn't better than then you don't watch the game. Avery has a reputation and at his age teams aren't going to be too likely to take a chance. It says absolutely zero about him as a hockey player. Dale Weise was claimed by freaking Vancouver. Do you think Dale Weise is a better hockey player than Sean Avery? The list goes on an on.

What trouble did he get in as a New York Ranger?

His coach hates him, cut him before the season started after making him fly to Europe, lying to him about giving him a fair chance, and then mocked him on his way out the door.

He got a chance to return because of injuries, much to the chagrin of his coach, played fine for someone who was getting 6 minutes of ice time, was scratched game after game after game, and then was subsequently demoted again.

He's not an idiot. He knows his coach wants nothing to do with him and he knows that he has no chance at playing for this organization as long as Torts is here and the entire team isn't in the infirmary. Him being irritated shouldn't be much of a surprise. Him wearing jeans and sneakers in the AHL isn't a big deal. He was reprimanded for breaking that rule. End of story. He has no shot at "making it back". This coach wants nothing to do with him. Do you not get that?

What comments has he made to the media that were blasphemous or inaccurate?

Your post is typical of all the anti-Avery stuff. Generalizations. Assertions. Lots of fluff and innuendo. But not really actually saying anything of substance.

What else is new though.
I am not even going to bother getting into it with you Rucus. I said what I wanted, and if you have no idea what he has gotten into as a Ranger then your memory is quite selective. Not as what he has done as a Ranger matters anyway.
Avery is a controversial player, one that has more negative press on his wrap sheet that just about any player in the leauge.
You know it, I know it, but most important Avery knows it. And he does nothing to try to change it. He did, briefly after being called up earlier this season, but thats it.
He wants it his way, or no way at all. At this point that has landed him in the AHL.
-FIN-

Old
01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

To be fair, I dislike the whole "30 teams passed on him when he was on re-entry waivers"

Remember, Avery was on re-entry before he proved this season that he could play at the NHL level, he was also just 2 games returned from his injury.

If put on re-entry today I'd be hesitant to say that he'd clear. Though Florida had interest and signed Madden instead, there are a few teams out there that could use a guy like Avery. There's obviously the chance he'd clear, but I don't think he'd clear as easily this time than he did last time. As in the fact that some GMs may debate this time whether or not to pick him up, rather than easily letting him pass through.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
To be fair, I dislike the whole "30 teams passed on him when he was on re-entry waivers"

Remember, Avery was on re-entry before he proved this season that he could play at the NHL level, he was also just 2 games returned from his injury.
How many times do we have to go over this? I dont think anyone, anywhere, has said straight out that Sean Avery is not an NHL player. Hes a fringe 4th liner/extra forward at this point in his career, but his status in the NHL compared ONLY to his play was rarely questioned.

Hes not here now, and all the teams in the league passed on him because hes a headache, without enough talent to justify putting up with his BS. Thats really all there is to it.

Its hard to admit when you love the guy like a couple of posters here still do, but thats it.

I respect your viewpoint on the subject because you're obviously a fan and bring up/understand all the negatives associated with him; unlike ruckus, who is absolutely out to lunch on the subject

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

Wait. What?

NHL players pass through waivers all the time? Did you just say that? *AHL* players that can't make or stay on their rosters pass through waivers all the time. NHL players that are potentially worth picking up without losing anything RARELY pass through waivers. Are you really arguing this point? Do you think Dale Weise being claimed on waivers and Avery not being claimed actually makes a better case for Sean being an NHL player? Every, EVERY club in the NHL had a chance to pick up Avery for 1/4 of his salary and PASSED on it. I've had Center Ice for years and watched numerous teams for years, so don't go using the "you don't watch hockey" dumb argument. I won't argue that I don't think Sean could be a roster player on a number of teams - however, given everything that comes with the package, NO ONE wanted him and that's something you really can't argue about.

Bottom line here is that if ANY team in the NHL thought that Sean Avery would make THEIR team better, they would've claimed him. And no one did. Tortorella has nothing to do with that. And now that the Rangers are healthy, he once again didn't make the cut. Tortorella has said that Avery isn't the best fit for this team and given where the Rangers are in the standings, it's hard to argue against that.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

If put on re-entry today I'd be hesitant to say that he'd clear. Though Florida had interest and signed Madden instead, there are a few teams out there that could use a guy like Avery. There's obviously the chance he'd clear, but I don't think he'd clear as easily this time than he did last time. As in the fact that some GMs may debate this time whether or not to pick him up, rather than easily letting him pass through.
I get all that - but at 1/4 of his salary, pro-rated, it wouldn't have been much of a risk for any team. It's not like he has a NMC and couldn't have been assigned to whoever claimed him's AHL club. As I said in my response to Ruckus, he's probably got the skills to play on the bottom 3 for a number of teams, but no one wants the whole package that comes with it. Can't really blame them.

Old
01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
I get all that - but at 1/4 of his salary, pro-rated, it wouldn't have been much of a risk for any team. It's not like he has a NMC and couldn't have been assigned to whoever claimed him's AHL club. As I said in my response to Ruckus, he's probably got the skills to play on the bottom 3 for a number of teams, but no one wants the whole package that comes with it. Can't really blame them.
And you're right, his "package" is exactly why he passed through waivers and nobody claimed him. The difference is he's never had any issues with this hockey club in this locker room. His teammates had nothing bad to say about him outside of Steve Valiquette. The fact that he wasn't an issue with THIS hockey club, and he is a member of our organization, why wouldn't you want him as a bottom six forward? Since now you're seemingly admitting that he has the skills to be one for a number of teams in this league.

He's done nothing with this team over the past few years to warrant being banished out of the league. He's had zero issues and is a better hockey player than others who are on the roster.

The head coach wants nothing to do with him and never did from the moment he took the job.

That's my problem with it.

Last edited by ruckus*: 01-17-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
I am not even going to bother getting into it with you Rucus. I said what I wanted, and if you have no idea what he has gotten into as a Ranger then your memory is quite selective. Not as what he has done as a Ranger matters anyway.
Avery is a controversial player, one that has more negative press on his wrap sheet that just about any player in the leauge.
You know it, I know it, but most important Avery knows it. And he does nothing to try to change it. He did, briefly after being called up earlier this season, but thats it.
He wants it his way, or no way at all. At this point that has landed him in the AHL.
-FIN-
I'm guessing that this is your response because you have nothing substantial to back up what you're saying. What has he done the last few years here? Nothing. He's put his head down and gone to work. Which is odd because in your previous post that's what you were asking him to do. And he's never gotten anywhere for that. Now he's banished to Connecticut again and irritated about it. Go figure. Problem is your comments have continued to state that he's "gotten into" things as a Ranger. Like what? Please, refresh my memory.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
And you're right, his "package" is exactly why he passed through waivers and nobody claimed him. The difference is he's never had any issues with this hockey club in this locker room. His teammates had nothing bad to say about him outside of Steve Valiquette. The fact that he wasn't an issue with THIS hockey club, and he is a member of our organization, why wouldn't you want him as a bottom six forward? Since now you're seemingly admitting that he has the skills to be one for a number of teams in this league.

He's done nothing with this team over the past few years to warrant being banished out of the league. He's had zero issues and is a better hockey player than others who are on the roster.

The head coach wants nothing to do with him and never did from the moment he took the job.

Disagree. And the results prove it. Look, I get you don't like Tortorella and I understand why, but you can't make a logical argument that a coach isn't entitled to play who he wants and not play who he doesn't and I don't care who the coach is. It's part of the job. If Tom Renney, Mike Babcock, Sutter, Tippet, or whoever doesn't want to play ____ player because he doesn't "fit" with his concept of play then he shouldn't have to. I'm sure Tortorella wasn't excited by Glen bringing Avery back into the fold and probably was against it to begin with. You can't make a coach like a guy because YOU like that guy or the fans like that guy. He doesn't fit here. Plain and simple.

Yeah, I don't see why the Isles didn't take Avery. Or Florida. Hell, how about Columbus so they have something to talk about over there? Obviously, there's more under the surface here then any of us know about.

As far as this team goes - Rupp is a better fit for the team - in the locker room and on the ice. I'll give you that Mitchell and Avery are probably a wash - but he's the only guy on the current top 12 that I could even see Avery replacing and Mitchell plays Tortorella's game better than Avery does. I hope Avery gets moved and keeps playing. I like the guy. Just not on this team anymore.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:51 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Dallas be off the hook at that point if he went through re-entry a 2nd time and was claimed?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

No offense, but you dont have the slightest ****ing clue regarding if this is true or not. Have a friend in the locker room? How do you come across such information that allows you to present it as fact with such ease.

I dont know if its true either. But with his long and distinguished history of being a jerk, its pretty easy to make an inference.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote