HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why John Tavares is good, not great

Old
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
strife

vCash: 500
Not my opinion of course, but will someone with an espn insider account give me an overview of what this article is all about. I'm extremely curious to know why he wouldn't be on this list.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...top-25-25-list

Last edited by strife: 01-17-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Darth Bangkok

Nothing to read there. Some guy watched the second period of a game once and wrote an article.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Isles Junkie

Don't have insider, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
So how can such a talented young player, who has accomplished so much in so little time, be left off a list of the 25 best players under 25 years old? Simple. His performance is not as impressive as it looks.
No, ESPN. The answer as to why he's left off the list of top 25 players under 25 years of age, is because ESPN doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Anyone who has watched Tavares for any more than 5 games can see that he is MORE impressive then his #s indicate.

Why does ESPN even try? Leave it to their canadian counterpart to cover hockey. Let them stick with baseball & football which they only know a little bit about. I don't even know what the rest of the article says, but it's wrong.

ESPN turned into a pile of turds.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:51 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Don't have insider, but

No, ESPN. The answer as to why he's left off the list of top 25 players under 25 years of age, is because ESPN doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Anyone who has watched Tavares for any more than 5 games can see that he is MORE impressive then his #s indicate.

Why does ESPN even try? Leave it to their canadian counterpart to cover hockey. Let them stick with baseball & football which they only know a little bit about. I don't even know what the rest of the article says, but it's wrong.

ESPN turned into a pile of turds.

I bet the guy who wrote this article never played hockey before. Tavares game reminds me of Toews game, and he's # 1 on the list

Last edited by goal1228: 01-17-2012 at 12:00 PM.
goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
SDIsles34

All you can do is laugh at this article. I can honestly say one of the ONLY things currently going well for this franchise is the transformation of JT into exceptional hockey player and leader. Borderline elite.

I would love to know how many Islander games Neil Greenberg has watched this season.

SDIsles34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Isles72

brutal article

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
stevedepot

I'd be willing to bet that this blogger writer may just be basing his opinion on the long scoreless stretches Tavares had his first 2 seasons. Looking at that is fine however when you factor in how he played on a line with 2 castoffs (Moulson/Parenteau) and made them better you have to admire him. Especially when you look at the lack of protection he had. The kid got elbowed by Jovanovski, cross checked by many a defender and even lost a tooth courtesy of Chris Pronger with no retribution from out soft team.
He worked on his core strength, has become a stronger skater, protecting the puck and teams are adjusting to HIM now.
He has quietly broken into the NHL's top 15 in scoring on a team with arguably the WORST defensive production.
He is and should be in the top 25 IMO.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Butt-Hurt Toronto Media.

"WAAAAAHHH! WAAAHHH! The lowly Isles have JT and us the mighty Leafs wanted him and we can't have him". Suck it easy partner.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
4straight

tavares isnt a 350 pound roid-head lineman in the nfl therefore espn has no idea what theyre talking about.

4straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Hipietro

I have become extremely frustrated with ESPN in recent months. Its turned into the gossip/tabloids of sports. Its seriously so stupid.

They spend more time talking about athlete's tweets and what they say in the media rather than showing highlights and scores. They focus on Tim Tebow, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James show after show and nothing else.

I used to watch sportscenter all the time to catch up on scores but its just getting stupid now. Oh, and of course their only hockey coverage consists of Sidney Crosby's concussion and Alex Ovechkin.

I'm willing to bet a good amount of money that the guy who wrote the article hasn't watched Tavares play AT ALL. What a load of ********.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
I have become extremely frustrated with ESPN in recent months. Its turned into the gossip/tabloids of sports. Its seriously so stupid.

They spend more time talking about athlete's tweets and what they say in the media rather than showing highlights and scores. They focus on Tim Tebow, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James show after show and nothing else.

I used to watch sportscenter all the time to catch up on scores but its just getting stupid now. Oh, and of course their only hockey coverage consists of Sidney Crosby's concussion and Alex Ovechkin.

I'm willing to bet a good amount of money that the guy who wrote the article hasn't watched Tavares play AT ALL. What a load of ********.
If anyone is still going there to get their hockey news, then they deserve what they are getting lol.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
All you can do is laugh at this article. I can honestly say one of the ONLY things currently going well for this franchise is the transformation of JT into exceptional hockey player and leader. Borderline elite.

I would love to know how many Islander games Neil Greenberg has watched this season.
I'd be willing to bet he's never watched JT play one complete game, and very few partial games.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Toujin

Meanwhile, TSN, the people who actually know about hockey, published their ranking of the top players in the NHL right now

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10467

22. Matt Moulson LW N.Y. Islanders 79.73
23. John Tavares C N.Y. Islanders 79.62

Well how about that? JT is ranked at the #23 player in the ENTIRE LEAGUE, and this dip**** thinks he's not even in the Top 25 of Under 25 year olds?

Yikes.

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 01-17-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fully censor your cursing
Toujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
PJGooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife View Post
Not my opinion of course, but will someone with an espn insider account give me an overview of what this article is all about. I'm extremely curious to know why he wouldn't be on this list.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/story...top-25-25-list
I have Insider and I read both the Tavares breakdown and the original ranking it was based on. Both are garbage. The original list was "Best 25 Players Under 25," which is idiotic from the very beginning b/c how do you define "best" here. Whatever this guy's criteria was, it didn't include Tavares, Seguin and other very good players.

Reading this Tavares explanation and the writer's own arguments in the comments thread of the original ranking, it sounds like his job was to just test out some new statistical metrics and see how they fly. There was a whole bunch of nonsense there citing statistics that I literally have never heard of in my life.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Noreaster96

The title of the thread should be

"Why ESPN isnt good, but awful at NHL coverage"

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

ESPN still exists?

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
kasper11

the guy made up his own statistical formulas and wrote an article about it. Worse, he uses all three years without any regard for the fact that JT has improved tremendously.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
What is he basing his opinion on? Observation of one period, of one game? Seems very limited.

If you want an idea of how JT impacts the game, watch 8-10 Islander games and you'll see exactly what most of us already know here.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Bauer Warrior*

There are some things that just don't bother me, and this is one of them. It's an ESPN fluff piece. It's worth nothing. There's absolutely nothing to substantiate the rankings. In the end, who cares what ESPN has to say about anything? It's a wave riding publication. They'll hop on a bandwagon wherever it is.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
He's making himself look even more foolish from the tweets that he's posting.

"Tavares didn't make it because even despite a favorable starting position he doesn't drive play. @ESPN_NHL"

Someone said to him that Tavares makes everyone around him better. His response?

"By inflating their point totals, sure. But not puck possession, where it matters."

"Agree he has made strides this year in the first half, however, doesn't mean we ignore last two full seasons."

"By what metric does he "dominates puck possession"? Give me facts, not "saw him good."

I'm pretty sure he's 6th in the league for takaways. Isn't that very good puck possession?

I'm really not even bothered by this. The guy is proving he knows nothing about hockey and is a fool.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
stevedepot

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
He's making himself look even more foolish from the tweets that he's posting.

"Tavares didn't make it because even despite a favorable starting position he doesn't drive play. @ESPN_NHL"

Someone said to him that Tavares makes everyone around him better. His response?

"By inflating their point totals, sure. But not puck possession, where it matters."

"Agree he has made strides this year in the first half, however, doesn't mean we ignore last two full seasons."

"By what metric does he "dominates puck possession"? Give me facts, not "saw him good."

I'm pretty sure he's 6th in the league for takaways. Isn't that very good puck possession?

I'm really not even bothered by this. The guy is proving he knows nothing about hockey and is a fool.

Totally agree with you.
This is why bloggers should never be allowed to have any semblance of legitimacy.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Tavares didn't make it because even despite a favorable starting position he doesn't drive play.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:47 PM
StrongIslanders90

WOW....Didnt think somthing like this would bother me, but im extreamly mad about this....This kid has and does work his ass off every shift of every game no matter the score........He does so much and gets little credit.....I though we were getting an offensive goal scoreing juggernaut when we drafted him.....instead we got a great ALL AROUND player...

Hes Great in all 3 zones

Hes an amazing PLAYMAKER he finds teamates in almost impossible situations
he can score 30 goals and when his shot gets a bit better 40+

His character is off the charts

His on ice vision, Hockey sense ans IQ are among the BEST I have ever seen.

His Hands and puck handling are great.

His Strenth on the puck is very good...

Forget that hes a point per game player...He does so much more than shows up on the score sheet...If he was in TOR or on the RAGS people would be kissing his ass and praising him....But hes on the unworthy islanders and even worse he wants to be here so he will catch heat forever.....

Striet is our captain but Tavares is the Leader of our team...

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
peter021

It's ESPN. Nothing to see, or read, here.

I haven't gotten to see enough of Tavares or the Isles to comment with much authority, but what I have seen has impressed me. His vision is excellent, as are his playmaking skills.

If this article was based on metrics, surely those metrics have to take into account how bad the Isles have been and his supporting cast. Hell, he's single-handedly made PA Parenteau money! If Tavares was part of a rebuild like the Penguins had or the Blackhawks, by year 2 he'd have put up 80 points easy. He might be close to the scoring lead this year.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:02 PM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
WOW....Didnt think somthing like this would bother me, but im extreamly mad about this....This kid has and does work his ass off every shift of every game no matter the score........He does so much and gets little credit.....I though we were getting an offensive goal scoreing juggernaut when we drafted him.....instead we got a great ALL AROUND player...

Hes Great in all 3 zones

Hes an amazing PLAYMAKER he finds teamates in almost impossible situations
he can score 30 goals and when his shot gets a bit better 40+

His character is off the charts

His on ice vision, Hockey sense ans IQ are among the BEST I have ever seen.

His Hands and puck handling are great.

His Strenth on the puck is very good...

Forget that hes a point per game player...He does so much more than shows up on the score sheet...If he was in TOR or on the RAGS people would be kissing his ass and praising him....But hes on the unworthy islanders and even worse he wants to be here so he will catch heat forever.....

Striet is our captain but Tavares is the Leader of our team...
Amen.