HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik - Beast Mode

Old
01-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
This is one of the best, most truthful posts I've ever seen on the forum. I couldn't have put it any better about the many holes that exist in Gaborik's game. I've stated it over and over again that if Gaborik is not scoring goals, he is about thr most useless player we have in the lineup. When his contract is up in 2+ years, they have to wish him luck and let him walk away because for what he brings to the table, he is grossly overpaid.
Gaborik has something that cannot be taught, hockey sense. If any player who's main purpose is a goal scorer, is not scoring then their usefulness drops, not just Gaborik. I think your grossly exaggerating that he is the most useless player we have in the line up if he is not scoring.

Also, there is a reason Tortorella has been using him late in games to defend the lead, mainly in the last minute and a half.

01-17-2012, 10:50 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
and 7.5 million in cap room but who's counting
What do you think a 40 goal scorer is worth?

Maybe less, but he was a UFA.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Gaborik has scored more goals then Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin and they both make more then Gaborik at about 8.1ish and 9+ respectively. So I guess Pittsburgh and Washington should dump those two worthless sloths while they can and we should follow with Gaborik?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
GloveSave35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I think that you're definitely exaggerating more than a little bit, but you're not wrong; Gaborik struggles through contact, and he is not a good puck carrier. He's a pretty terrible puck carrier, in fact. I just think that you overstate his ineffectiveness. You cannot judge a player strictly based on his offensive production - but, you can't simply ignore it. It's a big factor...because, without goals, you don't win games.

That is why he's an important player. He finishes his chances. Getting chances is a great thing, especially if you can help in generating multiple chances, but if you don't finish the play, it's all for naught. Call it a tap in, call it whatever you want. It's a goal, and it's important.

I get your menntality. I respect it, and generally, I'm more of a "play on the ice" is more important than stats type of fan. But Gaborik gets his goals, which is what he's paid to do. He's frustrating to watch at times, but it's hard to argue with top 5 in goals for.

One of the better posts I have ever read on here.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Also, Gabby and Torts have a good player-coach relationship.

I don't think the same could be said if we had Kovalchuk on this team.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
He's 1 goal shy of being tied for 2nd in the league in goals...

But who's counting . . . .

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Gaborik has something that cannot be taught, hockey sense. If any player who's main purpose is a goal scorer, is not scoring then their usefulness drops, not just Gaborik. I think your grossly exaggerating that he is the most useless player we have in the line up if he is not scoring.

Also, there is a reason Tortorella has been using him late in games to defend the lead, mainly in the last minute and a half.
If you think that Gaborik isn't useless if he isn't scoring, dream on. He can't carry the puck, coughs it up as soon as he's faced with the slightest bit of contact and is basically an overpaid one trick pony. I will grant you that he is an elite skater and finisher when he gets himself in places on the ice to receive passes and finish. I've never questioned his god given ability to finish. His problem is he's a flawed player who doesn't really fit our system going forward but who is vitally important right now because we have a bunch of muckers who can't finish.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
If you think that Gaborik isn't useless if he isn't scoring, dream on. He can't carry the puck, coughs it up as soon as he's faced with the slightest bit of contact and is basically an overpaid one trick pony. I will grant you that he is an elite skater and finisher when he gets himself in places on the ice to receive passes and finish. I've never questioned his god given ability to finish. His problem is he's a flawed player who doesn't really fit our system going forward but who is vitally important right now because we have a bunch of muckers who can't finish.
That is my entire point. Him being an elite skater by default makes him an at least average puck carrier because he has an advantage over so much of the league with his speed.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:38 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I disagree. When you have the speed that Gaborik does you are by default a decent puck carrier because of the ability to blow past the opponent. Hagelin does the same thing. Gaborik may not be tops in the league but IMO he is by no means horrible.
Regardless of his speed, he is not a good puck handler while he is carrying the puck over the blueline. He coughs up the puck 95% of the time -- that isn't his game, and that's fine. His speed makes him dangerous while his teammates are on the rush, and when his line is cycling in the offensive zone. The first step is what makes him so dangerous, to go with excellent hockey sense, as you said before.

Speed alone doesn't make him good at carrying the puck. Was Enver Lisin a good puck carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

Yeah. Gaborik has his shortcomings. He knows this, and Tortorella knows this too. As long as the effort is there, which it usually is, Torts will let Gaborik do his thing. What he lacks for in physical defensive skills, he makes up for in awareness and positioning. He's a very skilled defensive player.

Kovalchuk is better as a player. But, he doesn't fit on this team.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Regardless of his speed, he is not a good puck handler while he is carrying the puck over the blueline. He coughs up the puck 95% of the time -- that isn't his game, and that's fine. His speed makes him dangerous while his teammates are on the rush, and when his line is cycling in the offensive zone. The first step is what makes him so dangerous, to go with excellent hockey sense, as you said before.

Speed alone doesn't make him good at carrying the puck. Was Enver Lisin a good puck carrier?

Yeah. Gaborik has his shortcomings. He knows this, and Tortorella knows this too. As long as the effort is there, which it usually is, Torts will let Gaborik do his thing. What he lacks for in physical defensive skills, he makes up for in awareness and positioning. He's a very skilled defensive player.

Kovalchuk is better as a player. But, he doesn't fit on this team.
Exactly as I said before.

If you asked me who the better player is, I'd say Kovalchuk with little to no hesitation.

If you asked me who would be better on this team, considering the coach, I'd say Gaborik with little to no hesitation.

Old
01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

This can't be emphasized enough. I've been very frustrated with Gaborik lately, but he is a hard worker and he fits in with the team and he fits with the coach. He has been struggling lately, but you can tell it's not from a lack of effort or else Torts would have benched him, which he hasn't. I just hope this doesn't last any longer because we need him to score goals, because if he doesn't, we can't seem to score as a team either.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
MSG the place to be*

I completely understand the debate of what matters more - how many goals you score or how much you dictate the flow of the game. To each his own. I am fine with that part of it.

What I don't understand is that some fans ignore or can't identify the maddening things in his game when you've seen the guy play now for over 175 games. There are countless things to chose from but the one that is so insane to me is his stick positioning when he glides around in the neutral zone. If holding your stick with your arms extended in front of your five hole was a good defensive technique, then how come Gaborik is the only player I've ever seen do that? He looks like hes a statue out there.

Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 01-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
This can't be emphasized enough. I've been very frustrated with Gaborik lately, but he is a hard worker and he fits in with the team and he fits with the coach. He has been struggling lately, but you can tell it's not from a lack of effort or else Torts would have benched him, which he hasn't. I just hope this doesn't last any longer because we need him to score goals, because if he doesn't, we can't seem to score as a team either.
Oh don't worry, it'll come. A few more games without a goal, and it'll come.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Oh don't worry, it'll come. A few more games without a goal, and it'll come.
You're saying this as if its some sort of bad thing. Gaborik has 1 goal in his last 9 games. Unacceptable.

Torts has already identified and demoted the real sandbag on that line, Artem Anisimov. If Gaborik continues to not perform, he'll deserve a seat on the bench for a bit.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:16 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You're saying this as if its some sort of bad thing. Gaborik has 1 goal in his last 9 games. Unacceptable.

Torts has already identified and demoted the real sandbag on that line, Artem Anisimov. If Gaborik continues to not perform, he'll deserve a seat on the bench for a bit.
How many does Callahan have in his last 10 game? I assume you're in favor of benching him as well?

Torts picks and chooses. As I've said many times, you play the game like a mucker or you don't play. The only reason he tolerates Gaborik is because he has 40 goal potential. If he didn't he'd be MZA'd and Frolov'd and Wolski'd on out of here.

What's funny to me is when people propose trades to bring in a top 6 LW with talent.

As if Torts would tolerate a talented player that didn't throw his weight around.

Last edited by ruckus*: 01-17-2012 at 06:21 PM.
ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
How many does Callahan have in his last 10 game? I assume you're in favor of benching him as well?

Torts picks and chooses. As I've said many times, you play the game like a mucker or you don't play. The only reason he tolerates Gaborik is because he has 40 goal potential. If he didn't he'd be MZA'd and Frolov'd and Wolski'd on out of here.

What's funny to me is when people propose trades to bring in a top 6 LW with talent.

As if Torts would tolerate a talented player that didn't throw his weight around.
Speaking of picking and choosing, you seem to ignore that many of his current and former players seem to love him because he expects the same out of everybody.

Whether you're a mucker, a skill player, a whatever - its not outlandish to ask for you to work hard and get your nose dirty every night at this level.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote