HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schenn + 1st to Edmonton

Old
01-16-2012, 11:53 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Kadri View Post
Lol you guys are hilarious for those who said schenn is 3rd pairing defenseman. I guess that makes Bogosian, Peitrangelo, Subban, and Doughty scrubs eh?

only a few twits suggested he is a 3rd line pairing--most agree he is a second line pairing

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:03 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
**** NO from TO....

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:05 AM
philer Bozel
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I just love how so many proclaim prospects from jr hockey as franchise players before they play a single NHL game against men.

The draft is no different to playing those 1 in 4 lottery tickets you might win big, yoGgu might win something, you might not win anything at all.

I got to say it but I'm really glad that as a Leaf fan Burke is the GM because all this draft day hype is ridiculous.

I hate to break it to Oilers fans but from Hall to Eberle to RNH not one is in the class of a franchise player. Top line potential yes but franchise players no way. I could careless if you like to use it in terms of potential cause they're not that talented. Big difference between these kids and the Crosby's, Toews, Malkin's and Ovechkin's of the game.
Glad someone said it

philer Bozel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:49 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
No thanks.
I forgot to put the

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:58 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
Glad someone said it
I'm disappointed that neither of you understand the difference between franchise player and generational player. Hall/RNH/Toews/Kessel/etc.. are likely franchise players. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin are generational players.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:11 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
The value of this trade depends HEAVILY on what pick the Oilers get. If the Oilers get a top 2 pick, it's probably worth only a little bit less than Kessel. If it's outside the top 5, the Oilers would have to give a LOT more than swapping 1st rounders to get Schenn.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 02:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
this really depends on which pick Edmonton gets and which one the Leafs get.

If our pick ends up in the early 20s or later and edmonton landed at #1 again then I imagine that's a no from edmonton. And vice versa it's only the halfway point in the season the Leafs could bomb in the second half with injuries or poor play while Edmonton could surge, trade could end up being 13th overal for Schenn and 12th.
If you think that's possible, then I'm going to assume you haven't been watching the Oilers much this year. Our blueline is doomed.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

Only a deal I'd do for the Leafs at the draft not before. But Schenn will only be traded for a proven player so Edmonton isn't a good trading partner.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:00 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Are we talking right now?

Leafs pick is a #12 (Schenn was a #5 pick)
Oilers pick is #4

The 12th pick and a recent 5th pick (even though he has been a recent HS, has tonnes of promise) is a steeeep price to pay for #4. I understand why TML fans would be leery.

However, as the year goes on, that EDM pick could be #2-3 and the Leaf pick a ~#16, you have to consider it!

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:09 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
No from Edmonton. This is a better draft than the last 5. We will be unloading up to 5 roster players for more picks before or at the deadline which means that pick will def be in the top 3 and get us another frachise player. then we use that other franchise player for our UFA dvd to give to Shea in 2013 after he signs his 1 year contract with whomever.

oilers arent parting with a future perrenial all-star

Also there is no reason i would ever trade for a pick before the lotto was determined so why would toronto... oh yeah... burke

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-17-2012 at 04:21 AM.
oilinblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 04:24 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'm disappointed that neither of you understand the difference between franchise player and generational player. Hall/RNH/Toews/Kessel/etc.. are likely franchise players. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin are generational players.
why are you listening to Leafs fans? these are the same ones that had kessel practically begging for a trade out last year because they dont understand that a crap team with 2 or 3 even franchise players ....is still a crap team. It was something Kessel was polite enough to not state for the record, but its something that goes without saying.

btw you forgot seguin in that franchise player list. pretty much every top 5 in the last 7 years. Also once we dump 5 guys for picks our pick will likely end up 1-2 because we arent taking skill up from our farm with the way they are dominating the ahl. the oilers want the ahl team to win the calder.

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-17-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old
01-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Absolutely not from the Leafs. That's a gamble the Leafs need not make.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I just love how so many proclaim prospects from jr hockey as franchise players before they play a single NHL game against men.

The draft is no different to playing those 1 in 4 lottery tickets you might win big, you might win something, you might not win anything at all.

I got to say it but I'm really glad that as a Leaf fan Burke is the GM because all this draft day hype is ridiculous.

I hate to break it to Oilers fans but from Hall to Eberle to RNH not one is in the class of a franchise player. Top line potential yes but franchise players no way. I could careless if you like to use it in terms of potential cause they're not that talented. Big difference between these kids and the Crosby's, Toews, Malkin's and Ovechkin's of the game.
I guess it depends how you define franchise player. The general consensus seems to be that Yakupov is the best prospect since Stamkos, meaning possibly/probably better than Hall, Eberle, and RNH. If there's 5-10 franchise players in the NHL then there's a pretty nice chance that one of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Grigorenko/Yakupov become one. The best piece in this proposed deal is far and away the Oilers 1st.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:45 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I guess it depends how you define franchise player. The general consensus seems to be that Yakupov is the best prospect since Stamkos, meaning possibly/probably better than Hall, Eberle, and RNH. If there's 5-10 franchise players in the NHL then there's a pretty nice chance that one of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Grigorenko/Yakupov become one. The best piece in this proposed deal is far and away the Oilers 1st.
well there are 30 teams in the nhl so i would say there are 30-50 franchise players... players you could see being a corner stone to a franchise. Thats what the term means.
Being a GENERATIONAL talent is different. Being a Phenom is different.

Generational talent (maybe 5 a decade) --take lemieux gretz Messier bourque coffey roy lindros jagr > Phenom (maybe 20 a decade)-- take sakic forsberg federov bure lidstrom pronger brodeur (if roy is one with huge pads for 8 years than brodeur gets in to this level at least) etc >
Franchise talent (maybe 50 a decade). Modano, Shanahan, Zubov, Weight, Guerin, Blake, robitaille, hull, oates, neely, olcyk, gilmour, macinnes, ...even palffy and bondra with hm to berard who might have been if not for the eye

I didnt think he would be even a franchise talent (i wanted larsson) but RNH is just sick and i think he is a phenom in my opinion right now. I watched the kid in junior alot and never thought he would last in the nhl nor step on the ice for at least 2 years. holy hell. He is still growing vertically and when he packs on weight and keeps the mind and hands...jesus. the way he describes even the physics of his stick blade... if the uck is on this inch and i pass in that direction it should do this but if i let it slip a quarter of an inch down it will do this, if i level the blade more by 1 degree it will come off like this, if i tug back while release my pass it curles with back spin, if i..... f*n nuts/

also datsyuk and zetter are def phenoms.

keep in mind those decade numbers will grow as the sport gets more popular in other regions. in the 80s a gretzky and lemieux might come around once every 20 years but id say lemieux would have been less had it not been for the harlem globe trotter type learning on team canadas against russian elite competition. the field is getting bigger and better... and wider

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-17-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old
01-17-2012, 08:51 AM
mydnyte

[QUOTE=Homesick;42585951]Tough call. If Toronto's pick is between 16-20 then yes. Schenn is a second pairing defenseman and thats it.(quit trying to sugar coat it by saying top 4....like saying Eager is a top 12 forward)[/QUOTE]

if he plays on one of the top 3 lines, then, yes, he is.

I'd call Schenn a solid #3 d-man, or a complimentary #2 to a mainly offense oriented #1

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 08:58 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Are we talking right now?

Leafs pick is a #12 (Schenn was a #5 pick)
Oilers pick is #4

The 12th pick and a recent 5th pick (even though he has been a recent HS, has tonnes of promise) is a steeeep price to pay for #4. I understand why TML fans would be leery.

However, as the year goes on, that EDM pick could be #2-3 and the Leaf pick a ~#16, you have to consider it!
Most logical post in the thread. Heck wouldn't it be typical Leaf luck if at the end of the year Edmonton is 5th and Leafs 9th and Leafs won the lottery putting their pick 5th and Edmonton's 6th.

edit: that is why it would be a draft day only trade.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
TOGuy14

Schenn and a 1st?

Toronto says yes and starts fitting RNH jerseys.

Oh wait, you wanted to send us only your first? No thanks.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
mydnyte

this deal would only get discussed on the draft floor, and would only happen depending on who was or was not on the board, and which GM went a little bit crazy.

Toronto needs Schenn for a playoff push, Oil need that 1st to help solidify their rebuild in the deepest draft in years.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Horseradish

Yeah, Schenn and his 18 MPG, few points and significant contract can stay in Toronto for that.

Burke would trade Schenn and a mid-first for a lottery pick the second it was proposed.

If Edmonton trades that lottery pick for a d-man, it's sure as hell gonna be a better one than Schenn.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:29 AM
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner

Ridiculous. If this was last year we would gladly offer you Lebda and a 1st.. haha

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
zeus3007*

I'd love Schenn on the Oilers, but not at the price the Leafs would need. Especially when we have Smid playing the same role, but better. We need a top pair puck moving d-man, not just any random d-man with top pair potential...although Schenn would certainly be an upgrade to our 2nd pair guys.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
From an Oilers POV, I'd do it.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
There's been a lot of people who have said they believe Hopkins may be the best player to come into the league since Crosby, Gretzky and Dale Tallon being two of them. In fact iirc the last 18 year old with stats as good or better than Hopkins to begin his career is Crosby. Hopkins is unreal, so is Hall, and so is Eberle. All three are franchise players.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:55 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

With the way the Leafs are dropping in the standings, I would have to agree with their fans, that this trade doesn't make sense for them.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

WHy in the world would the Leafs do this deal? I mean IF IF IF it were the absolutely no doubt about it first overall pick in the 12' draft even then it would be a bad deal for them. Schenn is a very good young stay at home Dman who is doing what young Dmen do and that is taking time developing into the very good player that he will become. Giving up on him now would be a big mistake unless the Leafs received a pretty big overpayment.

Edm would have to add to get Schenn.

Awful proposal but then it is probably better than I could do.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote