HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Can we bottle team emotion after the high stick?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
bwunderlich

vCash: 500
Can we bottle team emotion after the high stick?

Win or lose last night, I LOVED the team's emotional reaction to a bloodied Thornton. The team played MAD for the last few minutes and were hitting (Great hit by McGillis) and outworking the Sharks. When that happens . . . hmm GOOD THINGS happen!!

IMHO, when this team hits and plays with that kind of FIRE in their bellies, I believe they could beat anyone. I really hope they learned something last night about earning good fortune.

Incidently, how do 2 zebras miss that high stick with the helmet almost popping off his head.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:07 AM
neelynugs

mcgillis' hit was absolutely awesome. the entire crowd was going nuts after cheechoo hit the ice with a thud. personally, i think that hit had a lot to do with us scoring- the crowd was extra-pumped, and it fed directly to the players.
but you make a great point here about thornton- when he got cut and stood up screaming, the boys really stood up and took notice. it's ridiculous that the refs continue to miss this crap, but luckily we tied it up. last night's game = what the NHL league office should watch and understand that THIS is what hockey should be. anyone that watches carolina, new jersey or montreal these days can attest that nobody wants to watch that utter CRAP!!!
go joe

Old
11-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
mcgillis' hit was absolutely awesome. the entire crowd was going nuts after cheechoo hit the ice with a thud. personally, i think that hit had a lot to do with us scoring- the crowd was extra-pumped, and it fed directly to the players.
but you make a great point here about thornton- when he got cut and stood up screaming, the boys really stood up and took notice. it's ridiculous that the refs continue to miss this crap, but luckily we tied it up. last night's game = what the NHL league office should watch and understand that THIS is what hockey should be. anyone that watches carolina, new jersey or montreal these days can attest that nobody wants to watch that utter CRAP!!!
go joe
The league should also think about disciplining the two clowns in stripes for what happened on the non-call.

There is simply no excuse for it.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Bruwinz37

This thread brings up two valid points I wanted to talk about.

First the one problem that is stopping this game from succeeding is the officiating. Not the red line, not the goalie pads, not anything else. Unless the officiating changes this game goes no where. These people are as bad at their jobs as anyone is as bad at anything. The two officials out there last night should have their game reviewed and they should be either fined or suspended. Not only the Thornton high stick, but there were other situations where they are right in front of the play and totally ignore it. It is ridiculous. Night after night, year after year we watch these guys do a crap job and it is killing the sport. The biggest joke EVER in pro sports is when they added a second incompetent ref to the ice. This has improved NOTHING and only adds another body on the ice...what a waste.

Second issue you mentioned is how well this team plays with fire in its belly. My one issue with this team so far is that it doesnt play *mad* often enough. There play is too passive. I am not, at all, condoning goonism or fights, but the physical play must pick up. You need to make opposing players PAY for skating with their head down, for trying to go to the net, and along the boards. If Joe is getting slashed and held all game then you go out and take runs at their superstar until things are either even'd up or Joe gets more room. This team is still building its charachter so I am glad to give them more time, but it is something I would like to see intensified.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
I think this thread is right on. The Bruins could achieve much more if they played fired up from 20:00 of the first period. It seems to me the team has been less than inspired for a few years now and it is a characteristic of the team. I don't know what it is and I don't care to speculate too much.

But, if they could "bring it" every night, I believe it's true that they could compete with the teams in the East, especially in the playoffs. Right now, only Philly and Ottawa are "scary" on paper. Would they have been able to beat Montreal in the first round a few years back if they had played out of their heads? What would have happened if they did not look so listless against NJ this Spring?

What is the secret to unlocking the Bruins potential?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
I think this thread is right on. The Bruins could achieve much more if they played fired up from 20:00 of the first period. It seems to me the team has been less than inspired for a few years now and it is a characteristic of the team. I don't know what it is and I don't care to speculate too much.

But, if they could "bring it" every night, I believe it's true that they could compete with the teams in the East, especially in the playoffs. Right now, only Philly and Ottawa are "scary" on paper. Would they have been able to beat Montreal in the first round a few years back if they had played out of their heads? What would have happened if they did not look so listless against NJ this Spring?

What is the secret to unlocking the Bruins potential?
Sometimes I think a ball busting coach like Keenan is best because he literally forces players to play the way he wants. That said, I think Sullivan could be that type. I can tell he does hold people accountable and I am sure he can be tough when he wants to be.

I think if every line (starting with Joe's line) came out taking the body it would be contagious. Joe takes a lot of hooking and holding, he has to learn to pick his spots and line up people for big time, but legal, hits as often as he can...that in itself will make room for him. Sullivan has to instill this type of aggressive behavior in his team, but he must ensure that it is controlled aggression.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I also think that the coach has a lot to do with it. Sullivan appears to be an intense guy , maybe that will help. I also don't have anything against starting a 4th line or energy line to set the pace right at an opening face-off.

Either way it's a mindset that needs to be established but more importantly maintained.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
11-07-2003, 09:38 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
It is reputed that Mark Messier walked into the Rangers dressing room when he arrived and threw aside a garbage can in the middle of the room. He did that so he could look at all the other players in between periods.

Now, I am REALLY not trying to turn this into a discussion about the captaincy of Joe Thornton. But, my question is who sets the tone among the players "in game?" I would guess Lapointe does some of that. But I don't really know...

Old
11-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Jeff from Maine

My Thornton Issue

My issue with the intensity and emotional issue that is being spoke of, especially in regards to Thornton and his recent problems is this:

Thornton has stopped being a proactive physical presence. He will retaliate with a punch to the face AFTER he is held.

But when was the last time that BIG Joe Thornton really initiated physical play?

He just about NEVER sets the tone of a game physically anymore. he never establishes the physical tone over a game.

he never commences the hitting.

IMHO, if he had the desire to do this, he woul see a drop in the holding and hacking that he faces nightly.

But he has changed his game so much. he doesnt seem to WANT to be a physically dominating player.

And that drives me absolutely nuts!

LAter

Old
11-07-2003, 03:29 PM
bwunderlich

right on jeff and others! what had me standing and pacing for 45 minutes after the game was that 20+ players and 15,000+ fans would have lied down in traffic for their "C" last night. And after last night, there is no doubt in my mind that Thornton could set a tone physically with his first shift that would spread like wildfire for 60 minutes. After last night, there is also no doubt in my mind that Joe's Captaincy took a much needed step forward . . . if only for a few minutes - BUT Sully really has to drive this topic home again & again because the players seemed to forget during the overtime and again played a bit passive.

learn learn Learn LEARN FROM THIS!!

Old
11-07-2003, 03:51 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

As far as the "ball busting" coach thing. Bah. It works for a bit, then the players tire of it, and then they quit. It's why guys like Keenan have success for a year or two, then they just stop.

Intense=good. Screaming, ranting, head-game playing schlup=bad.

To paraphrase Spinal Tap, "there's a fine line between intense and stupid."

Closed Thread