HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens vs Canes Plus/Minus 1-17-12 Free Candy Editon!

Old
01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Pensgal1158

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Dave Molinari @MolinariPG

Orpik, on his interference minor: "The ref said he didn’t think (Jeff Skinner) got the puck, but he saw a replay and apologized after."
Refs are lucky Canes didn't score on that penalty, would've been some pissed

Listened to majority of game through Pens radio, they were absolutley astonished at the terrible reffing tonight.

Pensgal1158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Just do something with Tangradi (trade preferably). Dressing him, only to pretty much bench him, is dumb. Some guy on the roster will get too many minutes and another player watches from the press box.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Yeah that was a friggin' crime. He was a shoo in for first star, and honestly I think as far as being a force for 60 minutes, that's the closest anyone has looked like Mario since he retired. I mean I love Neal, but #1 star because he had the "game winning" shootout goal? Barf.

As far as Orpik, he had that amazing hit but I believe he also handed the puck right to the Canes twice in the first period leading to prime chances.

The Tangradi obsession is far beyond out of hand. If he got benched he shouldn't have, but he didn't do anything of note whatsoever.
You know, if our standard with Orpik is going to be perfection, then he's never going to meet the standard. Instead, I look at Orpik like I look at Geno in one big way: I want an impact on the game. Perfection would be nice, but I can deal with a turnover here or a missed assignment there if the overall impact is there. Geno was the best forward on the ice tonight. Orpik was the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Perfect? Absolutely not. Positive impact? Absolutely.

Frankly, if one wants to complain about the performances of two defensemen tonight, then I thought Paul Martin was pretty spotty in his play after two good games, and watching Lovejoy is like experiencing the onset of a bleeding ulcer.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
**** I'd rather see Street up here more than anyone.
I agree with this point. He's on an AHL-only contract and Hockeysfuture rates him as a 0.0, but he is producing down in W-B/S and, in my opinion, should be deserving of a one year, 2 way deal next season. He showed he didn't deserve to be in the ECHL and now he's showing he deserves a 2 way deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
- vitale and tangradi minutes. These guys have been great. Give them minutes.
I agree moreso with the Vitale point than the Tangradi point, but these guys are more deserving of minutes. Maybe given them a few shifts with Matt Cooke. Who doesn't love what Vitale and Tangradi bring to the table?

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:32 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I know his statline doesn't reflect it but I actually thought this game for Malkin was every bit as inspired and in some ways even moreso than the last one. You can tell he's really, really feeling it lately. Laying out to block a shot with OT winding down? That was almost as pretty as his goal. I know it doesn't mean anything... but I have no idea how he wasn't the first star of the game.

Fleury and Neal both played great games, I thought. Vitale was a one man wrecking crew all game. Orpik was obviously pretty visible for the right reasons, too. I'm all about cutting dirty hits out of the game... but his hit on Skinner is the exact thing you don't want to see punished. Bush league that it was somehow called interference. You don't want to see Skinner get hurt after just coming back from a concussion (we all know how that goes) but that was completely clean. Skinner should have shown better awareness. I respect the fact that he's trying to make something happen for his team and beat Orpik to a loose puck... but it just isn't very smart to try pushing it ahead and then cutting to the middle of the ice with Free Candy lurking nearby.

I wasn't impressed at all with Sullivan. No surprise there, really. He seemed to make worse and worse decisions with the puck as his shifts wore on. The Martin/Michalek pairing looked kind of ugly all night, too. Particularly Martin. And not just because of the miss (which was kind of a tough play for a defenseman, anyway), either. Kennedy was alright, I guess. I haven't noticed Cooke either good or bad all season. Dupuis had something like 3 billion shots on goal tonight and they were all pretty much harmless. He had a good game otherwise, though.
THIS . . . when Geno is 'on', it's like you're watching two games, the one where he's on the ice and you wonder what's coming next and the other one that's a grind out involving everyone else.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
The Tangradi obsession is far beyond out of hand. If he got benched he shouldn't have, but he didn't do anything of note whatsoever.
As is the opposite end of the spectrum.

It's not like I'm asking for him to play on the top two lines like some people are. All I am asking is for him to be rewarded for his good play with some increased minutes, and don't bench him for one bad shift. That's not how you develop a prospect.

If this is how they are going to treat him, then send him back down to WBS or trade him. He's being wasted as it stands right now.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Bylsma is an idiot, what else is new? Vitale is gonna be scratched the next game. Hope Park, and Adams are gone soon, Vitale NEEDS and has EARNED SO MANY TIMES HE DESERVES A PERM ROSTER SPOT! this game proves it.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:33 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Why do sully, park, and Adams go out there and make mistakes but then tangradi gets benched??? Makes no sense to me.

Bylsma is strange when it comes to tangradi. I just don't get it.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You know, if our standard with Orpik is going to be perfection, then he's never going to meet the standard. Instead, I look at Orpik like I look at Geno in one big way: I want an impact on the game. Perfection would be nice, but I can deal with a turnover here or a missed assignment there if the overall impact is there. Geno was the best forward on the ice tonight. Orpik was the best defenseman on the ice tonight. Perfect? Absolutely not. Positive impact? Absolutely.

Frankly, if one wants to complain about the performances of two defensemen tonight, then I thought Paul Martin was pretty spotty in his play after two good games, and watching Lovejoy is like experiencing the onset of a bleeding ulcer.
The only reason I mention Orpik at all was because the turnovers were kind of blatant. He turned and haphazardly passed the puck right to a Cane a couple of times and it lead to a chance. I don't think he played a bad game or anything.

I thought Martin was fine but I believe Eric Staal or someone else overwhelmed him a time or two.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Why do sully, park, and Adams go out there and make mistakes but then tangradi gets benched??? Makes no sense to me.

No argument here on those three, especially Sully in his own end. Better still, if anyone has any complaints about Tangradi's head being in the clouds when it comes to playing in his own end, then I suggest that person also watch Kennedy for a shift or two.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

This is my feeling as well. He clearly isn't holding the rookies to the same standard as the veterans.

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Bylsma is an idiot, what else is new? Vitale is gonna be scratched the next game. Hope Park, and Adams are gone soon, Vitale NEEDS and has EARNED SO MANY TIMES HE DESERVES A PERM ROSTER SPOT! this game proves it.
Vitale slipped a bit for more than a few games. What he did tonight is what earned him his roster spot in the first place. Simple as that.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
KIRK

Quote:
The only reason I mention Orpik at all was because the turnovers were kind of blatant. He turned and haphazardly passed the puck right to a Cane a couple of times and it lead to a chance. I don't think he played a bad game or anything.

I thought Martin was fine but I believe Eric Staal or someone else overwhelmed him a time or two.
Fair enough on Orpik. Don't disagree on the mistakes, even the ones one might call blatant, just saying that's always come with the territory with Orpik.

As for Martin, I'll respectfully disagree. A few of the pinches also weren't good. They'd have looked a lot worse if the puck didn't end up on the stick of Ponikauseless.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
I agree that Vitale should never be scratched. I still like Bylsma. Just because I don't agree with every move he makes doesn't make him an idiot.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Who picks stars of the game? For some reason I'm under the impression that Phil Bourque is the one for games in PGH, I have no idea why?

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
mpp9

Quote:

He trusts Vets more. He'll give them opportunities to make up for their mistakes.

I was hoping Tangradi could get on the scoresheet playing with Vitale. Really don't understand what's so horrible about giving him a few shifts a game with Jeffrey and Malkin to get his confidence and production going.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He trusts Vets more. He'll give them opportunities to make up for their mistakes.

I was hoping Tangradi could get on the scoresheet playing with Vitale. Really don't understand what's so horrible about giving him a few shifts a game with Jeffrey and Malkin to get his confidence and production going.
That line with Tangradi-Vitale-Adams was really playing well tonight too, but Bylsma benched Tangradi and that line was gone for good.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
As is the opposite end of the spectrum.

It's not like I'm asking for him to play on the top two lines like some people are. All I am asking is for him to be rewarded for his good play with some increased minutes, and don't bench him for one bad shift. That's not how you develop a prospect.

If this is how they are going to treat him, then send him back down to WBS or trade him. He's being wasted as it stands right now.
Sorry but the other end of the spectrum is nothing like the weird, unjustifiable fan club that's been borne out of his call up. Check out the GDTs lately. Seems like every half dozen posts is about Eric freakin' Tangradi of all players.

He should get some kind of regular shift though I have no argument there. This is about as good a time as any for him to get out there and show something (i.e., them see what he can do).

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 PM
SEALBound

+'s

Malkin
Neal
Fleury
Orpik
Vitale

='s
Martin
Dupuis - played well but missed too many chances
Kennedy - same
Tangradi - its not that he's bad...its just that he doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant being in over someone else.

-'s

Refs
Skinner possibly being hurt

Sullivan - Is this guy not just completely useless? I honestly do not see how he should be in over anyone...especially when Asham is back. Even as a 4th line / PP guy. Just...a waste of cap space IMHO.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:42 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Benching Tangradi is stupid but after this game if he scratches Vitale I'm going to start to doubt his decision making process. I mean he plays Ray Shero hockey to a T.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensFanSince1989

+ Leafs and Capitals both lost in regulation

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Much as I enjoy watching Skinner for what he does on this ice, it's stuff like this that makes me like him as a player even more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Skinner is a great guy... post game interview

"I saw him coming, I thought I could get to the puck and chip it in and take a hit, once I saw I couldn't get make the play, I just got my hands up to protect myself. If anything hit me in the head, it was my own hands trying to protect myself. You should expect a defenseman to step up and hit a player where I was"
Incredible to think he's only 19 . . .

Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:

These three have earned spots and still are better players for where they are slotted and Tangradi had "one" really noticeable game that he stood out, one.

Add in a game where you are down a goal early and then tied the rest of the way, are you willing to sacrifice a possible chance to win a game on a prospects minutes in a game like that. They have a lead he plays. Isn't that smart coaching? He had a bad shift and got benched.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
- Cooke, he isn't offering much right now he's not scoring, he's not hitting, and he's not even agitating. I would play Vitale over Cooke when Asham returns.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Once again, people just completely ignore the 30 nasty plays that Martin makes look easy. It is always the one or two he slips up on. Don't get me wrong, he needs to cut down on the horrid mistakes, but every defenseman makes mistakes. My only problem with him is his offensive game. I know he is never going to score a ton of goals, but this is the 2nd or 3rd time he has missed a yawning net. He has to put that home. Puck at feet or not.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote