HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Buy or Sell @ the Deadline: What would you do

View Poll Results: Two part question: Buy or Sell @ the Deadline? Which moves would you make?
We should be SELLERS @ the deadline. 10 11.49%
We should be BUYERS @ the deadline. 37 42.53%
I would trade Jagr @ the deadline for the right return. 7 8.05%
I would trade Briere @ the deadline for the right return. 11 12.64%
I would trade picks for Gleason @ the deadline. 33 37.93%
I would trade JVR+ for Suter @ the deadline. 20 22.99%
I would trade mid round picks for Suter's rights in the offseason 26 29.89%
I would trade picks for Beauchemin @ the deadline. 26 29.89%
I would trade JVR for Luke Schenn @ the deadline. 6 6.90%
I would stand pat @ the deadline. 12 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
JGalt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
back again boys ..

to NSH : JVR + carle + 1st round pick

to PHI : ryan suter
This. Eight days a week this.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:58 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
If we get to negotiate a contract out before acquiring him, thats pretty good value. You see your boy Couts had a shorty tonight also. Kid is playing really well the last two weeks.
I seen .. getting all sad knowing NSH can't have him!! he is going to be awesome for the next 10 years shutting down crosby/malkin and scoring goals! *thumbs up*

I would say NSH throws in a pick as well in that deal but jvr is out with a concussion and thats scary to me

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I seen .. getting all sad knowing NSH can't have him!! he is going to be awesome for the next 10 years shutting down crosby/malkin and scoring goals! *thumbs up*

I would say NSH throws in a pick as well in that deal but jvr is out with a concussion and thats scary to me
ladies and gentleman we have someone that actually knows the value of some players on these boards! I hope the Flyers can deal for Suter, but I feel dealing away JVR could bite our *****. He reminds me of Johny Vermont so much is unreal. Someone else pointed out that Leclair didn't break out until 7 year out of high school. Also Jvr doesn't have the ability to play with Lindros, but something along those lines with Giroux.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
so I was having a discussion with people on the main trade forum and they said the Flyers don't have a shot to sign Suter because he wants to go play closer to home. I can stand when people use that as an excuse for a player to sign for their team. They are grown men who have new households and usually wives and kids, they make their new house where they want.
exactly. no offense here... but canadiens are the worst and we southern markets hear it 24/7 how everyone loves canada and who would want to play in nashville.. I think yall have a good shot of signing him as anyone. I've met suter multiple times and he is really laid back.. not that means anything but I see him signing with a PHI, CHI, NYR .. imho

Old
01-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
exactly. no offense here... but canadiens are the worst and we southern markets hear it 24/7 how everyone loves canada and who would want to play in nashville.. I think yall have a good shot of signing him as anyone. I've met suter multiple times and he is really laid back.. not that means anything but I see him signing with a PHI, CHI, NYR .. imho
I keep hearing Chicago.. Why? They won't have the money, they need another d-man and a couple of forwards. Are they gonna trade away one of their d-man and hope that Suter signs there?? That would be a horrible horrible idea. do they sign suter and then have to trade a dman and get horrible value back because teams will know they need to clear space (i.e Gagne to tampa for us). I don't think Chicago is actually in the top 5 destinations for Suter.

Old
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
back again boys ..

to NSH : JVR + carle + 1st round pick

to PHI : ryan suter
Quote:
If we get to negotiate a contract out before acquiring him, thats pretty good value. You see your boy Couts had a shorty tonight also. Kid is playing really well the last two weeks.
I really think that is horrible value for the Flyers. I just can't justify the Flyers giving up JVR + Carle + 1st for 1/2 year of Suter. And that's what it would be...

If Suter is unhappy in Nashville and wants out, he could be acquired as a UFA for free. If we want to get the jump on other teams, we could trade for his rights before the UFA deadline ala Bryzgalov ala Hamhuis, etc and give up a lot less.

Even with Suter, I don't think we're anywhere close to the favorites to come out of the East, so his value to us for a 1/2 year rental isn't anywhere close to JVR + 1st + Carle.

I understand that under this hypothetical trade we'd be able to work out an extension prior to making the deal, but still, I just feel like we're essentially bidding against ourselves.

---------------------------------------------------

If we aren't Suter's 1st choice destination, then why would he agree to an extension here when he is 5 months from being a UFA, getting a bigger contract (market value is ALWAYS higher), and getting to choose his destination?

The only possible reason for him to agree to an extension is if we're either overpaying him (we don't have the cap space to do this) or if he thinks being w/ a better contender for this playoff run is worth being stuck in his non-#1 destination for 5-6 years. Since I'd say the Flyers and the Preds have about the same Cup chances @ this point, that's not a possibility either.

So he would only sign an extension here logically if we were his 1st choice destination. If that's the case then we might as well wait till the off-season and make him an offer and save JVR and the 1st.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:25 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
I keep hearing Chicago.. Why? They won't have the money, they need another d-man and a couple of forwards. Are they gonna trade away one of their d-man and hope that Suter signs there?? That would be a horrible horrible idea. do they sign suter and then have to trade a dman and get horrible value back because teams will know they need to clear space (i.e Gagne to tampa for us). I don't think Chicago is actually in the top 5 destinations for Suter.
I'm not implying he would sign there.. just a city that resembles CHI. but also suter said CHI was his favorite road city.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:27 AM
NoNecksCurse

@sandlansd

maybe make the 1st a conditional one? if suter doesn't re-sign with PHI, NSH doesn't get it. so itd be jvr + carle for suter if he signs else where..

Old
01-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
@sandlansd

maybe make the 1st a conditional one? if suter doesn't re-sign with PHI, NSH doesn't get it. so itd be jvr + carle for suter if he signs else where..
That's a completely insane price to pay for rights to negotiate, even if Carle is a UFA.

01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Silly Flyers.

Why do you guys have a Buy/Sell thread when you're actually 4 points out of #1 seed in the Conference?

I mean.... WHat????

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:22 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Silly Flyers.

Why do you guys have a Buy/Sell thread when you're actually 4 points out of #1 seed in the Conference?

I mean.... WHat????
Tell me about it.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Silly Flyers.

I mean.... WHat????
Looking at this team's goaltending and defensive ability, as well as the ridiculous amount of rookies, it's reasonable to believe this season might not go anywhere.

Besides, we likely used up our miracle quota for this decade in the last Finals run.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:38 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Looking at this team's goaltending and defensive ability, as well as the ridiculous amount of rookies, it's reasonable to believe this season might not go anywhere.

Besides, we likely used up our miracle quota for this decade in the last Finals run.
So??? It's still beyond ridiculous to sell when you're in 4th place in the conference.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
So??? It's still beyond ridiculous to sell when you're in 4th place in the conference.
Oh, I see what you mean.

Yeah, I don't want to do anything drastic.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:17 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
It's beyond ridiculous if your goal is 4th place in the conference.

If you want something more, then you look to deal.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
2nd rounder and Gustafsson for Gleason
JVR for Suter (it could be straight up if Suter does not want to re-sign there because JVR is one of the better young forwards in the game and is signed for years to come)

Hartnell---Giroux---Jagr
Voracek---Schenn---Briere
Simmonds---Couturier---Read
Rinaldo/Sestito---Talbot---Harry Z/Sestito/Betts

Kimmo/Coburn
Suter/Carle
Gleason/Mez

Bryz
Bob

The 2nd line will get pushed around a bit but we don't have a big team to begin with. I just tried to stack the D and that group of forwards have a lot of speed and skill to fit into this scheme.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
2nd rounder and Gustafsson for Gleason
JVR for Suter (it could be straight up if Suter does not want to re-sign there because JVR is one of the better young forwards in the game and is signed for years to come)

Hartnell---Giroux---Jagr
Voracek---Schenn---Briere
Simmonds---Couturier---Read
Rinaldo/Sestito---Talbot---Harry Z/Sestito/Betts

Kimmo/Coburn
Suter/Carle
Gleason/Mez

Bryz
Bob

The 2nd line will get pushed around a bit but we don't have a big team to begin with. I just tried to stack the D and that group of forwards have a lot of speed and skill to fit into this scheme.
i'm pretty sure it doesn't work cap-wise

Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
i'm pretty sure it doesn't work cap-wise
Well there is always that then! I didn't check

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:22 AM
John Flyers Fan

Small buyer.

Pick up a cheap rental all Bryan Allen from Carolina. Re-sign Matt Carle to a 6 year, $26 million deal.

Without Pronger we aren't a legit threat to win the Cup this year.

The core is now a group full of 21-27 year old players.

It would be a big mistake moving significant assets to add Suter or someone of that ilk right now.

Hold onto three assets and make a move for Suter on 7/1.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Small buyer.

Pick up a cheap rental all Bryan Allen from Carolina. Re-sign Matt Carle to a 6 year, $26 million deal.

It would be a big mistake moving significant assets to add Suter or someone of that ilk right now.

This is what makes sense from a buyer perspective.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Damaged Goods

François Beauchemin is #1 on my deadline wish-list. Can eat up a lot of minutes and balance the bottom pairings, won't have to give up any important pieces. I don't like the idea of giving up big value for an impending free agent. Resolving the top pairing situation long-term should be Homer's project for the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Small buyer.

I think Matt Carle can point to the James Wisniewski contract and get at least $30 M for 6 years somewhere in free agency.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote