HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Miller: "There's not ever going to be a trade in the history of the NHL..."

Old
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Miller is wrong, but coming from a players point of view I understand his comments and respect them.

If it's a GOOD trade, it can re-instill confidence through the locker room.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:11 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Go to tsn.ca and watch the Dreger video from a radio station. It is where he says those things about Miller. He actually states it twice, that Miller is not very welcome in the dressing room right now with some guys.
Which, depending on who "some guys" are, could be a good thing or bad.

If the chronic underachievers like Roy and Stafford are pissted at Miller, fine. He should wear that **** like a badge of honor.

But if he's alienated the guys who actually put in the effort - Vanek, Myers, Enroth, or even the new guys like Regeher or Ehrhoff - that could definitely be a problem, considering how vocal Miller tends to be.

I've always gotten the vibe that, despite all his efforts, Miller isn't considered a leader by the rest of the team. So when he comes out and calls players out - he doesn't have even an unofficial "C" to give that criticism legitimacy. He's just calling out his teammates, and that probably won't sit well with some of them.

This team is so ****ed right now it's not even funny.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Which, depending on who "some guys" are, could be a good thing or bad.

If the chronic underachievers like Roy and Stafford are pissted at Miller, fine. He should wear that **** like a badge of honor.

But if he's alienated the guys who actually put in the effort - Vanek, Myers, Enroth, or even the new guys like Regeher or Ehrhoff - that could definitely be a problem, considering how vocal Miller tends to be.

I've always gotten the vibe that, despite all his efforts, Miller isn't considered a leader by the rest of the team. So when he comes out and calls players out - he doesn't have even an unofficial "C" to give that criticism legitimacy. He's just calling out his teammates, and that probably won't sit well with some of them.

This team is so ****ed right now it's not even funny.
aye

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Or that playing like garbage actually bothers him and too many guys are happy to cash their paychecks.
A little Red Sox syndrome? Which ended up being the coach losing the team.
I wonder who is pounding the blue lights in the locker room, and tossing the cans into the fireplace.

This team IS messed and it CAN be fixed by either trading players, benching players or preferrably BOTH. This seems to be really getting bad.

If Lindy doesn't get control of this team Pegula should let him go. Come on Lindy, you're the lingest tenured coach in the NHL if anyone can figure out how to regain control of the high paid babies its you.

If Reiger can't find some type of quality trade that shakes this team in a positive way Pegula should consider firing him

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
walrus

Call me crazy, but Miller is one of the last Sabres I'd want to trade. He's had an awful year, but I think he can have 1 garbage year after carrying the team pretty much by himself two years ago and not being bad at all last year, or pretty much anytime before that, in his career. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction to trade the guy who's helped your team for so long.

It's the players on the Sabres who stand around and watch their teammates get pushed around and do nothing in the hopes of getting a power play that need to be traded. That attitude has made the Sabres into a one dimensional team--and they're not even performing in that dimension correctly!

walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:29 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Call me crazy, but Miller is one of the last Sabres I'd want to trade. He's had an awful year, but I think he can have 1 garbage year after carrying the team pretty much by himself two years ago and not being bad at all last year, or pretty much anytime before that, in his career. It seems like a knee-jerk reaction to trade the guy who's helped your team for so long.

It's the players on the Sabres who stand around and watch their teammates get pushed around and do nothing in the hopes of getting a power play that need to be traded. That attitude has made the Sabres into a one dimensional team--and they're not even performing in that dimension correctly!
You're not crazy, don't worry. Miller would likely win any personell in-fighting headbutt contests of "Miller goes vs. x, y, and/or z goes" where x, y, and z = skaters on the team that don't like him in the locker room, as per all the supposed rumors.

Not to mention that his contract makes him hard to move, anything short of the receiving team taking a leap of faith that the team in front of him is the cause of his less than stellar play.

In conclusion, Miller's carried the team before. He can do it again with at least a tacit effort from the defense in front of him, and well, we can all agree that hasn't been happening, particularly when #17 hits the ice

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:18 AM
littletonhockeycoach

First of all..... outstanding thread. Top flight HF Boards!

Second.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
From interview Miller did with NHL.com:

Quote:
Q: You haven't really had to deal with this in your career before, have you?

Miller: No, not really. I've been pretty fortunate, because nothing's going to be forward and onward and upward every time. There's going to be plateaus and you're going to stumble a little bit, but the idea is to keep moving forward and learning and adapting. The game is constantly changing, our team is changing. Our team changed from last year quite a bit and from the year before that our D-corps has shifted completely. You see things that change and you try and roll and change with it and adapt. As a team, our system, everything ... we're trying to grow into being current and relevant. Where we were at our best, that's quite a while ago now. Those days are gone. That kind of hockey is not being played. So, we're just trying to adapt.
The bolded comment translates to me as Miller saying Ruff hasn't got a clue how to play or strategize for today's version of the game.

Or at the minimum, what's he's trying isn't working.

Than again, maybe I'm just reading into things what I want them to say. just me...

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:23 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
The bolded comment translates to me as Miller saying Ruff hasn't got a clue how to play or strategize for today's version of the game.

Or at the minimum, what's he's trying isn't working.

Than again, maybe I'm just reading into things what I want them to say. just me...
Combined with his statement that a trade won't help - ie that the makeup of the team is fine - I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

When a team's playing this bad, for this long, you really only have two options. Either a big trade or trades to change the makeup of the team and the attitude in the locker room, or you get a new coach. Miller sure seems to be ruling out the first option, and the comments about being relevant would seem to be suggesting the second option.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote