HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dolan crawls out of the woodwork......"says cup in near"

Old
01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
this! show some respect and class! What does dumping on ownership accomplish? I guess we have our fair share of mutts just
like any fanbase.

it is, what it is. this is also a business. nothing wrong with what Mr. Dolan did, and he's right... we're getting "pretty close"

stop with this karma superstitious BS! you sound like my old italian grandmother in black, crying over statues...
Whatever. The guy hasn't give 2 ***** about the team since he took over as owner. Now that the team is first overall in the entire league, NOW he decides to address the media, and say "we're" close to winning a cup? "We're" not close to anything Dolan. Sather deserves more credit than you, and I hate Sather. Just continue to write checks and keep your mouth shut. And shave that ugly beard, it makes you look fatter than you already are. D**che bag.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:50 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Whatever. The guy hasn't give 2 ***** about the team since he took over as owner. Now that the team is first overall in the entire league, NOW he decides to address the media, and say "we're" close to winning a cup? "We're" not close to anything Dolan. Sather deserves more credit than you, and I hate Sather. Just continue to write checks and keep your mouth shut. And shave that ugly beard, it makes you look fatter than you already are. D**che bag.
he's just showing team spirit and getting behind the club. no need to act like a mutant. they haven't played this well in a long time.
he gives Sather whatever he wants, and it benefits our club.

go get yourself an ice cream on me.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why all of the Dolan hate? He was part of the NBA negotiating committee. The NBA agreed to keep the cap at $58M for the first two years of their CBA. Dolan agreed to more revenue sharing. Dolan is kicking in $50M into NBA revenue sharing. The big market teams such as Dolan agreed to sharing more of their money and they wanted something back for it. Keeping their flexibility. The same could scenario work with the NHL. Dolan agrees to share more revenue and the Rangers can keep their team together. That's bad?

November 1,2011

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...qYYk4xR4CJ3ApO

Why all of the Knick hate? Walsh hired D'Antoni. Now D'Antoni is the big issue. Dolan didn't hire him. The Knicks get Davis back from his back injury soon.
No. Dolan pushed the Melo trade which has been nothing but a disaster so far. He kept Isiah Thomas because they were friends and embarrassed the franchise. D'antoni wouldn't be a big issue if Dolan minded his own damn business.

Now that the Rangers are doing so good he wants to come in and take some of the credit. I don't want him coming in and involving himself with this team after that proved disastrous for the Knicks.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
he's just showing team spirit and getting behind the club. no need to act like a mutant. they haven't played this well in a long time.
he gives Sather whatever he wants, and it benefits our club.

go get yourself an ice cream on me.
You don't think it's odd that the guy all the sudden comes out of the woodwork NOW to show his support, when he's all but ignored them for years? He practically drove the franchise into the ground before the lockout, and if it wasn't for said lockout and a salary cap, Sather would probably still just be throwing good money after bad. I'm supposed to embrace that? All he did was draw a lot of unneeded distractions towards the team from the media who are all over this story today. Big shocker there.

You can spew blind love for Dolan all you want. I'm not fooled. He's a clueless owner who wouldn't know what a zamboni was if it fell on him.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:17 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I dont understand the Dolan hate. All he ever did was give his GMs maximum money possible, which is all one can ask of an owner.

He made the right decision not endanger Sather's job once rebuilding began. Either go with Sather in 2004 or dont, but once Sather was allowed to stay in 2004, he deserved time.

Had Sather been fired in 2006 or 2007, the rebuilding would have ended and any replacement GM would be too scared to renups slowly, but properly.

Dolan was also right to recognize in 2004 that Sather will no longer act the same way as he did before.

Since 2004, Sather did a great job rebuilding. I know there are people who will say that until he wins the Cup, he should be seen as a terrible manager, but this is the kind of thinking that leads to GMs sacrifice the future for just a mediocre present. If people can't recognize progress while the team is in the middle of the road, then this road must be very brief, even if it means the team never becomes good enough to contend.

The Rangers are the top team in the league. That is an accomplishment, and I am glad Dolan is giving credit where credit is due.
I agree.

Expressing confidence in the organization is bad, how?

The coaching staff will keep the players' heads on straight.

It doesn't bother me, we have been a team with a target on our backs all season long, we get under the opposition's skin. From Anisimov's gun, to Rupp's salute, to Tortorella's comments about NBC and the refs, to Sather's smack talk at the Winter Classic press conference, to now Dolan's proclamation.

We play a game that pisses people off, by coming at them non-stop, the league hates our goaltender because he's better and better looking then the rest of the league.

I actually enjoy it. Let the league get irked by us. Us vs the world is what we want.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:18 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Video http://web.sny.tv/media/video.jsp?co...811&source=SNY

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:45 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
No. Dolan pushed the Melo trade which has been nothing but a disaster so far.

No it hasn't....

Ya'll act like Dolan is the first person to mention Rangers and Cup in the same sentence.

No big deal to me.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:
I don't get the outrage here... first you're angry that he "hasn't give 2 ***** about the team" and then you instruct him to "keep his mouth shut" which is it?

I have no issue with what Dolan said, we have to remember that pro sports is a business. Owners/Senior Managers need to have long term goals and vision, ie win the Stanley Cup. Then it is up to the Mid-level Managers (Coach) and Employees (Players) to accompish the day to day operations that get you to that goal.
The Criticism of Dolan for being a clueless owner who doesn't know hockey are unfair but true. In fact I give credit to Dolan for realizing he is not a "hockey mind" and thus turning over hockey operations to Sather and Co. Furthermore, he has never been shy about opening his wallet. If I were a GM, I know that's the kind of Owner I'd like to have... Hypothetical, would you rather have a Jerry Jones/Mark Cuban type owner who like to meddle with their teams operations but have no background or experience in the sports their teams play?

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:55 AM
eco's bones

I get the impression Torts didn't care for that very much.

And Dolan is a jerk.

What interests me the most is what he gave Slats that Glen has to give back if we win the cup? A Maxwell Smart decoder ring?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
No it hasn't....

Ya'll act like Dolan is the first person to mention Rangers and Cup in the same sentence.

No big deal to me.
Yeah it has, sorry.

When your owner, who knows nothing about hockey, comes in and starts talking about how his team can win a cup, meanwhile Torts' whole thing this season is "take it one game at a time" it shows how much of an idiot Dolan is.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:07 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The important thing here is that we have Torts who has the major influence on the players. He has exactly the right attitude.

Dolan owns the team. He's basking a little bit in some recent success. Should he shut up and wait until we actually win something? Yeah, that's what I would do. But, again it's Torts who coaches.

01-18-2012, 08:10 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Just when I forgot who the owner was, this used tampon has to show up on screen to ruin it.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:17 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Sounds like he wants credit.
Exactly. When they were throwing one turd on the ice after another, year after year, and insulting the fans by saying we wont tolerate a rebuild he was nowhere to be found.

Now they are at the top of the league and guess who shows his fat face.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Onion Boy

It's painfully obvious that Dolan doesn't follow the team. Despite how well the Rangers have played, Torts keeps saying "we're not there yet" "we still have some areas to improve upon" "we're not good, but we're getting better" etc. It's clearly a Torts tactic to prevent the team from becoming complacent and resting on their laurels.

If Dolan watched any of Torts' press conferences this year he would realize that and NOT come out with this nonsense.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:21 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I don't get the outrage here... first you're angry that he "hasn't give 2 ***** about the team" and then you instruct him to "keep his mouth shut" which is it?

I have no issue with what Dolan said, we have to remember that pro sports is a business. Owners/Senior Managers need to have long term goals and vision, ie win the Stanley Cup. Then it is up to the Mid-level Managers (Coach) and Employees (Players) to accompish the day to day operations that get you to that goal.
The Criticism of Dolan for being a clueless owner who doesn't know hockey are unfair but true. In fact I give credit to Dolan for realizing he is not a "hockey mind" and thus turning over hockey operations to Sather and Co. Furthermore, he has never been shy about opening his wallet. If I were a GM, I know that's the kind of Owner I'd like to have... Hypothetical, would you rather have a Jerry Jones/Mark Cuban type owner who like to meddle with their teams operations but have no background or experience in the sports their teams play?
What's so hard to understand? He hasn't paid any attention to the team since before the lockout..and that just was to tell the media that he wasn't going to fire Glen Sather because of the very loud "Fire Sather!" chants from the Garden crowd. On draft day, when pretty much every owner was at the draft, he chose instead to go with Isiah Thomas to recruit Larry Brown. He doesn't care about the Rangers. Now all the sudden, while the Rangers are first in the league, and the Knicks are awful, NOW he wants to acknowledge the team, when he's ignored it for years?

Sorry..I'm not gonna embrace someone like that.

And not for nothing..but Mark Cuban's franchise has won a championship, if I'm not mistaken, and his teams are always competitive. He can say and do whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned..I wish he owned the Mets, instead of the Wilpons (another idiotic ownership).

Old
01-18-2012, 08:39 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah it has, sorry.

When your owner, who knows nothing about hockey, comes in and starts talking about how his team can win a cup, meanwhile Torts' whole thing this season is "take it one game at a time" it shows how much of an idiot Dolan is.
How so?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:43 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The most important thing I got out of this was that Torts continues to be awesome.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:45 AM
NikC

Quote:
You don't think it's odd that the guy all the sudden comes out of the woodwork NOW to show his support, when he's all but ignored them for years? He practically drove the franchise into the ground before the lockout, and if it wasn't for said lockout and a salary cap, Sather would probably still just be throwing good money after bad. I'm supposed to embrace that? All he did was draw a lot of unneeded distractions towards the team from the media who are all over this story today. Big shocker there.

You can spew blind love for Dolan all you want. I'm not fooled. He's a clueless owner who wouldn't know what a zamboni was if it fell on him.
lol, spew blind love... oh brother...

I'm aware he's no hockey guy, he's a detached behind the scenes businessman. Are his intentions selfish? probably, but that's not to say he has NO INTEREST in the NYR. He's come out public finally because the NYR have grabbed attention by winning the Classic and establishing themselves at the top team in the NHL right now.

I believe your anger is justified and I understand it, but at the same time it's part of the game and you just have to go along with it. No harm done, it's a good thing.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:50 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
lol, spew blind love... oh brother...

I'm aware he's no hockey guy, he's a detached behind the scenes businessman. Are his intentions selfish? probably, but that's not to say he has NO INTEREST in the NYR. He's come out public finally because the NYR have grabbed attention by winning the Classic and establishing themselves at the top team in the NHL right now.

I believe your anger is justified and I understand it, but at the same time it's part of the game and you just have to go along with it. No harm done, it's a good thing.
Key phrase there. We'll see if it has any affect on the team, hopefully not. Pretty sure that's why Torts said it was bullsh*t. Probably more sending a message to the team to not read their own press clippings.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:54 AM
frankthefrowner

Dolan is a pain the ass no doubt.... However i have 3 owners of the 3 franchises I love to follow, DOLAN, Woody Johnson, and Fred Wilpon...Woody is probably the best owner out of all of them. But if you wanna put a gun to my head and tell me i had to choose, between James Dolan and Fred and Jeffy Wilpon, It'd be DOLAN every single time.

Goes about it the wrong way sometimes but he wants to win and will spend whatever it takes. Now yes he can shut up but if he wants to enjoy himself after spending billions of dollars on players over the years, im fine with it.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:57 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Dolan is a pain the ass no doubt.... However i have 3 owners of the 3 franchises I love to follow, DOLAN, Woody Johnson, and Fred Wilpon...Woody is probably the best owner out of all of them. But if you wanna put a gun to my head and tell me i had to choose, between James Dolan and Fred and Jeffy Wilpon, It'd be DOLAN every single time.

Goes about it the wrong way sometimes but he wants to win and will spend whatever it takes. Now yes he can shut up but if he wants to enjoy himself after spending billions of dollars on players over the years, im fine with it.
Money wise, I will agree with you 100%. Being involved wise, Woody Johnson (if I were a Jets fan, but I'm a Giants fan, so I'm good there ), "Pretending to care" wise, Wilpon.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
Boyle Knows Santa

Quick, somebody find Isiah Thomas.

Boyle Knows Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
dfine06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The most important thing I got out of this was that Torts continues to be awesome.
yes..

dfine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I dont understand the Dolan hate. All he ever did was give his GMs maximum money possible, which is all one can ask of an owner.

He made the right decision not endanger Sather's job once rebuilding began. Either go with Sather in 2004 or dont, but once Sather was allowed to stay in 2004, he deserved time.

Had Sather been fired in 2006 or 2007, the rebuilding would have ended and any replacement GM would be too scared to renups slowly, but properly.

Dolan was also right to recognize in 2004 that Sather will no longer act the same way as he did before.

Since 2004, Sather did a great job rebuilding. I know there are people who will say that until he wins the Cup, he should be seen as a terrible manager, but this is the kind of thinking that leads to GMs sacrifice the future for just a mediocre present. If people can't recognize progress while the team is in the middle of the road, then this road must be very brief, even if it means the team never becomes good enough to contend.

The Rangers are the top team in the league. That is an accomplishment, and I am glad Dolan is giving credit where credit is due.
This is a great post. Dolan has done everything you could expect from an owner from a hockey standpoint. He allows us to spend to the cap every year, and is willing to swallow huge cap hits by burying them in the minors or buyouts, which is something many other owners would not be willing to do. He also, to a large degree, stays out of hockey affairs and allows his GM to do his job unencumbered.

Many people just hate Dolan because of who he is as a businessman. He's ultra-rich by birth, is a shrewd negotiator, doesn't have a great personality, and is currently screwing a large portion of NYR fans who are TWC subscribers because he yanked the MSG feeds during negotiations. It's your prerogative to hate him for personal reasons, but as NYR Owner, he really hasn't done anything to earn the ire of the fans.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:05 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Agreed. Handled it perfectly. I would be surprised if Torts had any idea what Dolan was planning.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote