HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Itís Optimus Reim or Bust

Old
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
I don't think we can call him a bust. He's struggling.

That being said, there is no reason to give him games over Gus right now.

disgruntleddave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
I don't think we can call him a bust. He's struggling.
I disagree. His upper body mechanics are some of the worse I've ever seen. As far as I'm concern he's Wregget V.2, And we should be looking at bringing in another goalie.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Only in a loser town like Toronto is the 'sophomore slump' taken to actually be a universal fact.

WRONG Howard Berger, sophomore slumps are not a good, normal nor an excusable thing. These fools are paid to perform, and no one is taking a third year bounce back as a give.

Please explain to Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin, Jonathan Toews, Erik Karlsson, Pat Kane, Alex Pietrangelo, Jordan Eberle, Jamie Benn, Ryan O'Reilly, Tuukka Rask, Nicklas Backstrom, Pekka Rinne, Drew Doughty etc. what the sophomore slump is.
Is the sophomore slump inspired by Staal's 100 point season (career high) and Stanley Cup or Crosby's 120 points (career high) or Malkin's 106 points (2nd highest)?

Someone better warn Brad Marchand, Derek Stepan, and Logan Couture.

The worst part about about "the sophomore slump" is that it's just circular. Second-year player is playing poorly = the sophomore slump!

Some players have "sophomore slumps," but most improve from their rookie seasons.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:41 PM
catgoldfish

When are we gonna get a good goalie? Haven't had one since Belfour. The times we haven't made the playoffs our goals against have been close to the bottom due to pathetic goaltending. You can't win games when you let 3 or more goals in per game on the average.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
The Beyonder

Reimer seriously has to work on his glove. When almost every shot, from every team he's playing against aims there, it's an egregious problem for him that he needs to rectify.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Looks like BUST.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
makbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
In Reimer's interview yesterday he made mention of getting back to the top of the crease where he should be.
I liked hearing that because it demonstrated an actual isolation of a problem area, and a defined intention and strategy to fix it.

I am really really tired of the Reimer versus Gus thing.
I fully admit I prefer Reimer both in terms of his style of goaltending (which is very very much like Giguere who is my all time favorite goalie) and in terms of his personality, but that is not to say I don't like Gus. Actually I've liked the real changes and improvements in Gus's game beyond the wins or stats, and aside from the yelling and stick smashing last year (which without doubt was frustration with himself and not his teammates), there is nothing unlikeable about the guy at all. I truly and deeply want both to succeed. I want any goalie in blue and white with a leaf on his chest to succeed!

I am even more tired of the myopic view of Leaf fans and media. Reimer is a quality goalie with solid technique and a great head on his shoulders. Even if the rest of the year he struggles, in the big picture I believe he will be the #1 goalie for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and provide us with quality goaltending that may even rival the Belfour, Cujo, Potvin days.

Tonight is not Reimer or bust. It is one game against a hot team. Hopefully Reims plays well and we win, but if not...oh well. It is not the end of the world, the season or Reimer's career.
Fantastic post. Agree with everything except switch the names for me - I prefer watching Gus play but I cheer Reimer on with all my heart when he takes the cage. I believe both guys are good goalies and good people and the way they seem to support eachother in what is clearly a heated battle for the job is pretty inspirational to me.

makbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Darcy Tucker

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Donmega

Reimer is sucking it up. I think we are seeing the true side of reimer. Last year was a fluke

Donmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Reimer seriously has to work on his glove. When almost every shot, from every team he's playing against aims there, it's an egregious problem for him that he needs to rectify.
This. He's been around long enough for other teams to realize his glove hand is horrible. Time to fix it. Can't stop everything with your shoulder.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Stephen

Quote:
In Reimer's interview yesterday he made mention of getting back to the top of the crease where he should be.
I liked hearing that because it demonstrated an actual isolation of a problem area, and a defined intention and strategy to fix it.

I fully admit I prefer Reimer both in terms of his style of goaltending (which is very very much like Giguere who is my all time favorite goalie) and in terms of his personality, but that is not to say I don't like Gus. Actually I've liked the real changes and improvements in Gus's game beyond the wins or stats, and aside from the yelling and stick smashing last year (which without doubt was frustration with himself and not his teammates), there is nothing unlikeable about the guy at all. I truly and deeply want both to succeed. I want any goalie in blue and white with a leaf on his chest to succeed!

I am even more tired of the myopic view of Leaf fans and media. Reimer is a quality goalie with solid technique and a great head on his shoulders. Even if the rest of the year he struggles, in the big picture I believe he will be the #1 goalie for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and provide us with quality goaltending that may even rival the Belfour, Cujo, Potvin days.

Tonight is not Reimer or bust. It is one game against a hot team. Hopefully Reims plays well and we win, but if not...oh well. It is not the end of the world, the season or Reimer's career.
I find Reimer's game to be frustrating to watch sometimes not because of how deep he plays in his net, but how he can be so textbook butterfly that he goes into that position, drops his hands and shrugs the shoulders by default. He just commits too early.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:59 AM
RASHBEEP

Quote:

good post. personally, i'm not as sure as you are that reimer will become the #1 goalie for the leafs, but here's hoping that eventually we'll find one.

RASHBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:39 AM
diceman934

03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
diceman934

I started some of this debate by stating my opinion.

Like I said before I sure hope I am wrong but fear that I am not.

His stats look good, I made a point of his lack of athletic ability will catch up to him. I have seen evidence of that already.

He does not track the puck that well, which added to his lack of flexibility and athleticism is a good indicator of what his abilities are.
Can he improve, yes he can.

Remember Justin Poggie. Poggie and Reimer are very similar....not great athletes. Poggie was a very good puck handler but was slow.

Confidence is a wonderful thing for a goalie to have and right now Reimer has a lot of it.

AS for Gus, he had a great rookie year, last years team was not as good as this years team. Do not give up on Gus just yet.

I thought that I would re post this......Reimer is struggling.....Gus is not at this point. I am not sold on either of them as a number 1 goalie just yet, but Gus has had a rough go of it and still fought through this and he is showing signs of being better then average.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:33 AM
pspot

I've never liked having two young goalies. Fans are to quick to turn on the guy that is struggling and if one is playing well they are appointed the future.

One young guy with a vet who can mentor them. If they think Reimer has potential then they should just go with him and accept the growing pains. Just because the team has missed the playoffs the past 7 years doesn't mean they are ready for the playoffs and shouldn't be judged as a playoff contender.

ps. that second goal last night was ********, Spezza was sitting on him

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
I've never liked having two young goalies. Fans are to quick to turn on the guy that is struggling and if one is playing well they are appointed the future.

One young guy with a vet who can mentor them. If they think Reimer has potential then they should just go with him and accept the growing pains. Just because the team has missed the playoffs the past 7 years doesn't mean they are ready for the playoffs and shouldn't be judged as a playoff contender.

ps. that second goal last night was ********, Spezza was sitting on him

how exactly does Reimer have potential to be our long-term #1 and Gustavsson doesnt?

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Cleric

I'm tired of Reimer versus Gust comparisons too, whatever one goalie does has nothing to do with the other. If Reimer is good, he will get starts and win games, same goes for Gust, there's no reason to compare one playing poorly to the other, only one goalie is on the ice at the same time. Trying to point out what Gustavsson does wrong does not make Reimer any better.

Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Rainney

Gustavsson is better, he should start if there's any hope of making the playoffs.

Reimer keeps playing like a pylon that only covers the bottom half of the net. Someone tell him NHL players can lift the puck.

Rainney is offline   Reply With Quote