HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs may want to give Engqvist another look

Old
01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
yianik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah I noticed he's been doing really well with the Bulldogs. Good for him.

Ridiculous how people on this board have already made up their minds about Engqvist and Palushaj's NHL potential after 15 games of experience.
Well these boards called Patches another first round bust, Price the wrong goalie ( this has resurfaced this year) and this year PK isnt going to be a good D-man. We critiicize PG but thak God we arent the GM.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Try DD on the wing and Engqvist as #3.
HFBoards logic : Displace the better-playing C...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
HFBoards logic : Displace the better-playing C...
DD's biggest weakness is defensive zone coverage, by using him on the wing you reduce his defensive responsibilities. He can still play the "distributor" role on the line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Miller Time

if we struggle over the next 4 games and/or lose more ground in the playoff race, leading into the all-star break, you would think that PG would be smart enough to start moving assets like Kaberle, Gill, Campoli, Noke, Darche for whatever he can get, and make firm decisions on Moen/Kost (which, if they can't reach agreement on new contracts, should mean trading them before the deadline).

if we do start moving current assets for long-term gain, then guys like Palushaj/Engqvist will get some NHL time and an opportunity for the team to get a better idea of what kind of NHL potential they have.

while making the playoffs is always more fun than missing them, it wouldn't be such as bad thing for those types of guys to get some more NHL exposure and hopefully some opportunities in more than just a 4th line role.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Marksman

Quote:
DD's biggest weakness is defensive zone coverage, by using him on the wing you reduce his defensive responsibilities. He can still play the "distributor" role on the line.
Problem is hes too small to play wing, hard to make plays when you have less room and get pinned against the boards. Also DD is better in FO circle than Enegqvist.

Last edited by Marksman: 01-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Problem is hes too small to play wing, hard to make plays when you have less room and get pinned against the boards. Also DD is better in FO circle than Enegqvist.
St.Louis is 5'7" and he plays wing. My point is that you let DD play the center "role" but take away his defensive zone responsibility as a center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Schwang

Even using Engvist as trade bait might be a good idea. Strike while the iron is hot?

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Loved it when he signed with us, and I knew he had offensive potential in him, A 3rd line offensive checking center isn't out of the question for him imo, he has more to offer, just needs more type to develop, hes a late bloomer the type that at 27-28 you see the player he is.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Marksman

Quote:
St.Louis is 5'7" and he plays wing. My point is that you let DD play the center "role" but take away his defensive zone responsibility as a center.
St Louis plays with Lecavalier, capable to compensate both in size and playmaking, so they can get away with it. Engqvist hasnt proved none of that at NHL level, and taking DD off the Max/Cole line would destroy the only line we have clicking... not worth it.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

He will disappear if he comes back. He's just not good enough.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Thought he was a good and interesting pickup when they got him, and still think he's a useful piece to have around. I also thought a call up would give him a better idea of how he has to prepare, and it looks like he has turned that experience into something valuable as he has even added more of an offensive element to his game now that he's back down.

Anyone who has already given up on him, or made their mind up about him, lacks patience and wisdom when it comes to how some of these bigger players develop/evolve; especially ones that are brought from overseas.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
capebretoncanadien

LOL replace Desharnais with Enqvist. Dream on crazy dreamer.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Ridiculous how people on this board have already made up their minds about Engqvist and Palushaj's NHL potential after 15 games of experience.
OMG HTG are you really that surprised ? Seriously ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Protest the Hero

Maybe after the Habs have traded guys at the deadline if that happens.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Roulin

Quote:
For me, at some point it becomes more about age than experience. Engqvist is 24, and hasn't been able to keep his head above water against soft opposition in the NHL. He may get another shot, after the deadline, but I'm more interested in seeing what Palushaj can do.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

How many of you have actually seen Engqvist and Palushaj play outside of their time with Montreal?

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I dont think engqvist's talents translate well into offense at this level. At best, I see him maybe being our next radek bonk.... and that's not necessarily a swipe at him.
he isnt even a Bonk - not really an NHL player - too slow and no physical play at all doesnt use his size even to tie his check up

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post
How many of you have actually seen Engqvist and Palushaj play outside of their time with Montreal?
I have - i have ahl tv have the road package- yes they are better in the AHL BUT AHL to NHl like night and Day-

Old
01-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
For me, at some point it becomes more about age than experience. Engqvist is 24, and hasn't been able to keep his head above water against soft opposition in the NHL. He may get another shot, after the deadline, but I'm more interested in seeing what Palushaj can do.

Well, some players, especially who have big bodies, are just late bloomers ... and its not that late for Engqvist yet.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:55 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Well, some players, especially who have big bodies, are just late bloomers ... and its not that late for Engqvist yet.
neither player will be much of an impact in montreal- although if both are up after the trade deadline then we know habs have a solid chance for a top 5 pick

Old
01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

I thought Engqvist didn't really get into his groove with the team, but I believe Palushaj was starting to. They both had the unfortunate luck of joining the team where practically everyone had little to no confidence, to the point that our expectations of them became too high (meaning we needed way more from them than they could offer).

In the last couple of games before he was sent down, I was actually quite impressed by Palushaj. Not as much by his offensive play, but more his willingness to follow the coaches script and play the body as much possible. His line didn't do much but he fore-checked and hit d-men hard (as he can) every chance he got, proving to me that he's going to do whatever it takes to make the team.

As for Engqvist he didn't do much, and unlike Palushaj, was not too keen on the dump, chase, check mentality. But I've not given up on him. If he ever gets more comfortable with being a presence closer to the net, he has the potential to be a good third line center. I truly believe that.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives View Post

Engqvist and Palushaj were both done a dis-service when they were brought up here to Montreal. They were thrown on a makeshift 4th line by Martin and then given junk minutes with non-playmakers.

Very similar to the role that Pacioretty was given during his first call-up.

Engqvist and Palushaj are not 4th line players. Hell, Malkin would have struggled with the linemates they were given.

Give them at least 3rd line roles here in Montreal or leave them to develop in Hamilton.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 03:17 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Engqvist and Palushaj were both done a dis-service when they were brought up here to Montreal. They were thrown on a makeshift 4th line by Martin and then given junk minutes with non-playmakers.

Engqvist and Palushaj are not 4th line players. Hell, Malkin would have struggled with the linemates they were given.

Give them at least 3rd line roles here in Montreal or leave them to develop in Hamilton.
err.... no.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Palushaj, I agree... not a fourth line player.

Engqvist, not so much. That is his role if he's ever gonna make the NHL. Yes, he's scoring in the AHL right now, but watching him I don't see the offensive game to translate to the NHL.

Engqvist has never been a big scorer, not even in Sweden.

Palushaj on the other hand was one of the leading scorers in the CCHA when at Michigan, is 2 years younger than Engqvist, is faster, has better vision, hands, shot, and offensive instincts.

You really have to watch the AHL games to see who can translate their offence to the NHL and who can't.

Lets not forget Tom Pyatt had 35 pts in 41 games in Hamilton. Jason Ward was an AHL MVP. These are guys who dominated on just one skill that was too good for the minors (pyatt on speed, ward on size and strength).. but didn't have a complete well rounded offensive game. Palushaj has that well rounded offensive game. Engqvist is dominating minor leaguers who just can't deal with his size. The size alone without the quicker decision making, and superior talent will not be enough to put up offense in the NHL. However his defensive game is well rounded, and he may still be able to have a career as a defensive guy, like Pyatt and Ward have done.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:21 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Thought he was a good and interesting pickup when they got him, and still think he's a useful piece to have around. I also thought a call up would give him a better idea of how he has to prepare, and it looks like he has turned that experience into something valuable as he has even added more of an offensive element to his game now that he's back down.

Anyone who has already given up on him, or made their mind up about him, lacks patience and wisdom when it comes to how some of these bigger players develop/evolve; especially ones that are brought from overseas.
Anyone who gives up on any player (with potential) after 10-games is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Look how fast people turned their backs on Matt D'Agostini and look at how big of a role he's playing on one of the best teams in the NHL right now. He's 6th on the team in ice-time, and has been used anywhere from the 1st line to 4th line. He's become such a complete player and is much better defensively after, guess what, some NHL experience.

It's ridiculous how fast fans give up on guys and how fast management here gives up on guys.

Look at Desharnais or another example. Guy was producing (still is) and people still want to get rid of him. He's been our second best forward all season and people still want him on out. Boggles my mind.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote