HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
01-18-2012, 12:28 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

vCash: 500
Sean Couturier

10G-7A-17P-+12 and 2SHG. Most of which is playing limited minutes on the 4th line with other rookies and Jody Shelley plus he's only 19.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:32 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Count me a fan in July Got the autograph, picture, and the jersey is en route. Glad he's found his offense. He seemed pretty timid offensively to begin the year.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:31 AM
NoNecksCurse

*drooling* .... I WANT COOTS!!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:36 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He's awesome.

Some teams will definitely be kicking themselves in a few years because they passed on him.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:56 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
He's awesome.

Some teams will definitely be kicking themselves in a few years because they passed on him.
Yes and they are:

Winnipeg, Ottawa, Isles, New Jersey, Florida, Colorado and maybe even Edmonton.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Yes and they are:

Winnipeg, Ottawa, Isles, New Jersey, Florida, Colorado and maybe even Edmonton.
I think OTT, NY, and WIN will all regret it. The others got very good players who may outshine Couturier on the scoresheet for their entire careers, but the kicker is his defensive play.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:24 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I think OTT, NY, and WIN will all regret it. The others got very good players who may outshine Couturier on the scoresheet for their entire careers, but the kicker is his defensive play.
I'm still not convinced that johnathan huberdeau's game will be as dynamic in the NHL. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I definitely think in 5 years, you'd be able to make a case for couts having should have gone in the top 3.

Ottawa, NYI, Winnipeg and potentially Florida and Colorado might be feeling like idiots a few years down the road, if they don't already. I think rnh and Larsson will be incredible players though. They're the only 2 players that I would have taken before Sean.

Up until the draft I was one of the minority still saying that couturier should go 1st overall.

Isn't it strange? If you would have told me, a little over a year ago from today, that we would have drafted Sean couturier I would have laughed at you, or assumed that the flyers didn't win a single game the entire 2nd half.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:58 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm still not convinced that johnathan huberdeau's game will be as dynamic in the NHL. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But I definitely think in 5 years, you'd be able to make a case for couts having should have gone in the top 3.

Ottawa, NYI, Winnipeg and potentially Florida and Colorado might be feeling like idiots a few years down the road, if they don't already. I think rnh and Larsson will be incredible players though. They're the only 2 players that I would have taken before Sean.

Up until the draft I was one of the minority still saying that couturier should go 1st overall.

Isn't it strange? If you would have told me, a little over a year ago from today, that we would have drafted Sean couturier I would have laughed at you, or assumed that the flyers didn't win a single game the entire 2nd half.
Gotta love that mono. Only reason he fell as far as he did in the draft.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:01 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Sean Couturier's current P/60 for 5 on 5 play: 2.64 (highest among rookies, 25th in the entire NHL)

Other leading rookies:
RNH:2.02
Matt Read: 2.44
Adam Henrique: 2.14
Cody Hodgson: 1.91
Gabriel Landeskog: 1.37
Craig Smith: 1.57
Ryan Johansen: 1.56

Centers who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates than Couturier currently has going:
Crosby: 3.98
Henrik Sedin: 2.78
Danny Briere: 2.77
David Krejci: 2.76
Pavel Datsyuk: 2.72
Steven Stamkos: 2.71
Claude Giroux: 2.69
Anze Kopitar: 2.68

Rookies who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates:
NONE

Last rookie to post a better P/60 than Couturier for a full season:
NONE (dating back to the 07-08 season when behind the net first started compiling their data)

-----------------------------------------------

I think we might have a special player here...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Mgkibbles

He's so good at hockey.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:37 AM
Damaged Goods

Kinda makes you wonder how much Cooter could have scored THIS year with RNH's ES and PP ice time (not that I am advocating it).

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:15 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Kinda makes you wonder how much Cooter could have scored THIS year with RNH's ES and PP ice time (not that I am advocating it).
I wondered that myself too, but I think Lavy is being smart. We could have a secret weapon come playoff time... if we can increase his minutes to around 14-15 b/c he's been well rested throughout the season and didn't hit the wall... other teams better look out.

But I still can't understand why he doesn't see some powerplay time. The 2nd unit has been pretty bad IMO and I think Couturier would liven it up a little. He has a great shot (hard and accurate).

We'll see I guess. I definitely expect a huge sophomore year from him though... especially if he goes to work in the offseason and works on his skating and bulks up some.

He could literally terrorize the league next year.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:59 AM
bp spec

I'm so happy that we got him. He's too good and will be too good to have gone 8th in the draft. I think the Carter trade is a success.

Good job spelling his name right in the title btw. Some people seem to think his name is Courturier.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:08 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Couturier is capable of doing more, but I wonder why Laviolette continues to hold him back. I know some say that Peter's doing the right thing by limiting his minutes, but damn, the kid has been outperforming some of the veterans on this club, yet Laviolette won't reward the kid for his play. That's what infuriates me the most about this situation - throw the kid a bone every now and then and let him play 16 to 17 minutes because he's done such a good job so far. It also sends a message to the veterans on the squad not to get complacent because this kid is ready to play and be a force to be reckoned with.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think Couturier is capable of doing more, but I wonder why Laviolette continues to hold him back. I know some say that Peter's doing the right thing by limiting his minutes, but damn, the kid has been outperforming some of the veterans on this club, yet Laviolette won't reward the kid for his play. That's what infuriates me the most about this situation - throw the kid a bone every now and then and let him play 16 to 17 minutes because he's done such a good job so far. It also sends a message to the veterans on the squad not to get complacent because this kid is ready to play and be a force to be reckoned with.
I'm assuming Lavi is trying his best not to burn Couturier out, but at some point the reigns have to come off. Maybe Couturier is ready for second or third line minutes, but we'll never know if he stays buried on the 4th line and PK situations.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I remember a video of a few Winnipeg fans that were shouting something that they are getting Couturier and once WIN announced the pick they literally were like "wtf?! who? boo!" and the people around them were laughing.

Atm looking a real steal for you guys.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Reaper1097

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Sean Couturier's current P/60 for 5 on 5 play: 2.64 (highest among rookies, 25th in the entire NHL)

Other leading rookies:
RNH:2.02
Matt Read: 2.44
Adam Henrique: 2.14
Cody Hodgson: 1.91
Gabriel Landeskog: 1.37
Craig Smith: 1.57
Ryan Johansen: 1.56

Centers who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates than Couturier currently has going:
Crosby: 3.98
Henrik Sedin: 2.78
Danny Briere: 2.77
David Krejci: 2.76
Pavel Datsyuk: 2.72
Steven Stamkos: 2.71
Claude Giroux: 2.69
Anze Kopitar: 2.68

Rookies who finished 2010-2011 with better P/60 rates:
NONE

Last rookie to post a better P/60 than Couturier for a full season:
NONE (dating back to the 07-08 season when behind the net first started compiling their data)

-----------------------------------------------

I think we might have a special player here...

Great post...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Jtown

lavi is smart not to play Sean extended minutes at the moment. In all fairness, he is not physically ready to handle the rigors of a professional season , and with reduced minutes it allows his body time to adapt without the serious consequences of injury.

Sean fits his role Ideally right now, going up against other 4th liners and contributing solid minutes for this team. We dont need him on the first or second lines like some people are requesting. We have no problem scoring , what we need is players like Sean who can come in and be a defensive presence for us.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
DUHockey9

OK so we all know that Couturier is awesome, and continues to impress.

Panaccio (my nemesis), however, has repeatedly stated in his articles that Couturier is fast. He even went as far as to say he is faster than Powe in his article from last night.

Quote:
Couturier continues to generate offense off defense and, much like Giroux, is a threat every time he’s out there on the penalty kill. Funny, but he more or less replaced Darroll Powe, who is now playing for the Wild in that role.

Only difference being that Couturier is faster and has far more offensive upside.
Panaccio's Article

If you even remotely followed the NHL Draft it was quite apparent that most people felt Couturier's biggest flaw was his skating ability. Not a big deal, he graded well above average in basically everything else. Player's aren't perfect after-all.

Or, if you just simply watched the games, it's pretty clear that Couturier isn't a good skater. Again, that's ok. It's just the way it is.

I felt the need to look into it and leave him this comment on his article...

Quote:
Panaccio proves, yet again, that he must not even watch these games. He continues to maintain that Couturier is a fast skater when it couldn't be less true. (The kid is a fantastic player, but his skating is CLEARLY the worst part of his game.) Conversely, skating is probably the BEST thing that Powe has going for him.

Let's take a look at the NUMEROUS scouting reports (some from NHL front offices) that had something to say about it:

"The only thing that will hold Couturier back is his skating tool, because as it stands now it grades as fringe to below-average. Mind you, Sean has made strides to improve in that area and it's far ahead of where it was 1-2 years ago, but it's still not at pro-level."
"Outside of his skating, just about every tool of Sean's is above-average." - http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...?articleid=977

"Like most prospects, Sean will need to work on his speed to bring his game to the NHL."
"Cons: Speed"
- http://www.thescoutingreport.org/sea...draft-profile/

"Skating is not bad, but it's not a strength." - http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/6/10...chances-game-6

"He will need to work on his skating a bit to solidify himself." - http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-125/

"He's not the best skater." - http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...gs-nugent.html

And here is one scouting report that gets quite detailed about Couturier's skating ability being a WEAKNESS.

"He dropped a few spots in the final rankings and concerns have been raised about his skating." - http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2011/5/1...ins-2011-draft

So Tim, I continue to ask, do you even watch these games? How is it that can possibly conclude the things that you do?
God I hate Panaccio so much.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

Panaccio (my nemesis), however, has repeatedly stated in his articles that Couturier is fast. He even went as far as to say he is faster than Powe in his article from last night.

Panaccio's Article

If you even remotely followed the NHL Draft it was quite apparent that most people felt Couturier's biggest flaw was his skating ability. Not a big deal, he graded well above average in basically everything else. Player's aren't perfect after-all.

Or, if you just simply watched the games, it's pretty clear that Couturier isn't a good skater. Again, that's ok. It's just the way it is.

I felt the need to look into it and leave him this comment on his article...

Does he ever respond to you? Some guys will if you make good points in your argument.

Not saying its not a good argument, just wondering if he ever responds.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

^^ Who - - - -

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:49 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Does he ever respond to you? Some guys will if you make good points in your argument.

Not saying its not a good argument, just wondering if he ever responds.
He has responded to me via twitter, never via a comment.

Of course, people read my response as a criticism of Couturier haha. I'm not hating on him, he's been amazing and will only get better. This is just the 2nd time now that Panaccio makes it a point to mention how fast Couturier is...I can't comprehend how he is concluding this?

And someone then insinuates Powe isn't fast? Huh? haha

Old
01-18-2012, 09:51 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
^^ Who - - - -
I don't understand what you're alluding to?

Old
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
phillyfanatic

Does anyone know why he is not used on the PP at all? Read, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek all get time but Couts gets 0. Seems like with his vision and shot he would be an excellent PP guy. He doesn't have to be a first unit guy, but I can't see why he wouldn't get the odd chance.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
s3x

Quote:
I don't understand what you're alluding to?
I'm pretty sure he's alluding to the fact that many of us don't even acknowledge Pinnochio's existence.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote