HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pens vs Canes Plus/Minus 1-17-12 Free Candy Editon!

Old
01-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
I missed the 2nd and 3rd period, just watched the replay.

That was one great and entertaining game. The refs are a ****ing joke for calling an interference on the hit on Skinner there. I guess they had to call SOMETHING, we should feel lucky they didn't call a major.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Jeffrey and Dupuis can't score = Missing some chances

Paul Martin can't score = Embarrassing himself

and Bob Errey's comments were not enough to merit anyone being offended. If he said it about Sid I would feel the same way.

Good game boys. Geno not getting a star is a travesty that luckily doesn't mean a thing.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:39 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Tangradi is good in the offensive zone but I don't like his defensive game at all. He just seems out of position to me a lot.

I'm sure that's Bylsma's chief issue with him and why he didn't play much in the 3rd.
Tangradi is not a forth line player. If he can't play better than any of our top six then he's going back to WBS. He's just keeping the seat warm on the forth line.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:49 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Nor does any other coach of a winning team. Everyone pretends this is something new or exclusive to the Pens.

That bench got really really short as the game wore on, as it should have in such a fast paced game. The Pens were dictating as the game wore on, and Tangradi not playing is our major beef?

Dustin Jeffrey is exhibit A as far as I'm concerned. Played on the 4th line last year, showed improvement with his skating and definitely has a high hockey IQ. He worked his way up, and now he's proving his worth and played almost 20 minutes tonight.
Jeffrey is a good defensive player. He was one of the best PK'ers in WBS when he was there. Tangradi never plays the PK. They are two completely different players. Jeffrey can play anywhere in all situations. Tangradi is a top six forward and power play forward. If he can't be that in Pittsburgh then we might as well trade him.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:00 AM
fragmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Jeffrey and Dupuis can't score = Missing some chances

Paul Martin can't score = Embarrassing himself

and Bob Errey's comments were not enough to merit anyone being offended. If he said it about Sid I would feel the same way.

Good game boys. Geno not getting a star is a travesty that luckily doesn't mean a thing.
Still surprised he didn't get one. Can't really argue with giving it to the goalies, but whatever.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:22 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I'm on the bandwagon that is now just flat out tired of hearing Tangradi's name get thrown around so often. I think people are really piping this kid more than is merited. I understand that we've had high hopes for him ever since we acquired him from the Ducks, but at this point the hyperbole regarding his "potential" is just becoming flat out comical. I'm hoping he gets traded just so I don't have to see his name pop up in every 2nd post anymore.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Tangradi is not a forth line player. If he can't play better than any of our top six then he's going back to WBS. He's just keeping the seat warm on the forth line.
Tangradi won't be better than any our top6 player.. not even now. I don't get it people, seriously, if anyone thinks Tangradi should play in top6 is crazy. I am not hater, I have nothing against Tangradi but I'm sick of people who thinks give him more minute or try him there or there. I'm not saying he's not trying, but when he's playing on 110%, he's average grinding 3rd liner. If you think otherwise, okay, it's your opinion.

He's not top6 player on this team and never will be..get over it everybody! And, I repeat, I have NOTHING against Tangradi, I just watch him play!

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Tangradi won't be better than any our top6 player.. not even now. I don't get it people, seriously, if anyone thinks Tangradi should play in top6 is crazy. I am not hater, I have nothing against Tangradi but I'm sick of people who thinks give him more minute or try him there or there. I'm not saying he's not trying, but when he's playing on 110%, he's average grinding 3rd liner. If you think otherwise, okay, it's your opinion.

He's not top6 player on this team and never will be..get over it everybody! And, I repeat, I have NOTHING against Tangradi, I just watch him play!
Don't count me among the people who are upset about his minutes. I have said before on numerous occasions that even though I want to see him rewarded for his good play, I don't think he's a top 6 player at this point, and I don't want him put there.

Also to say he never will be a top 6 player is foolish at this point. There are tons of young players that haven't looked like top 6 players early in their careers, that ended up being one later on. It may not end up being here, but he certainly has the talent to get there. Whether he has the motivation to get there is another thing. I'm basing this on watching him playing as well. It's funny how people can have different opinions than you.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
I'm on the bandwagon that is now just flat out tired of hearing Tangradi's name get thrown around so often. I think people are really piping this kid more than is merited. I understand that we've had high hopes for him ever since we acquired him from the Ducks, but at this point the hyperbole regarding his "potential" is just becoming flat out comical. I'm hoping he gets traded just so I don't have to see his name pop up in every 2nd post anymore.
I think you among other people are just reading the name Tangradi, and then assuming we all are asking him to get something he hasn't earned or deserved. I know I have said on numerous occasions that he doesn't deserve to play in the top 6. I just want him rewarded for his good play. Is that too much to ask?

I swear you people that completely write him off or think that he's done nothing at all are just as annoying as the rest of the people who want him in the top 6 over people he has no business replacing.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
This is pretty spot on. No one is calling for ET to play instead of Kunitz on the 1st line, yet that's what many make it sound like. Hell no one's even calling for him to take someone's spot on the Dupues - Jeffrey - Kennedy line.

We're asking him to get more 3rd line time, which isn't asking much considering how awful Cooke, Sully and Park have been lately. And maybe throw him out on one of the top lines every once in a while.
Cooke hasn't been very good but his defensive game is worlds better than Tangradi. I could see making that switch in a game that isn't tied 1-1. Sully and Park have been playing good hockey lately. And one of them is a center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
+
Malkin
Neal
JV
MAF

-
Martin
DB for Tangradi and sitting JV the last few games
Cooke
Tangradi was having a pretty rough game and it was tied 1-1. Vitale was playing just as much as normal, but Bylsma can't play him when he's in the box for a fighting major. Either way, fourth liners are going to miss shifts when a game is tied 1-1 in the third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
He can't play better than our third line players. Cooke is the only one I could even think of considering switching him with and he's a much better defensive player than Tangradi.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 01-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Funk311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
He didn't play worse than all the guys ahead of him. That's my issue. Ashram, Park, Sully, Adams all played worse and don't offer as much. That's my issue.
Agree with this. And to that end my main issue is all 4 lines were rolling tonight and looking strong. First time all year I think our 4th line looked like it deserved a shift for playing in the opponents end and not just essentially being a 45 second neutral zone regroup drill.

So ET may have had a bad shift, and may not have forced more playing time. But i thought that line, and him had more strong shifts than weak. In my book that's not a recipe for benching. IMO when DB does this, he turns us into even more of a 1 trick pony team. If Geno and Neal don't score we lose.

I will give DB a + for sitting Vitale and lighting the fire. I think Vitale knows what he needs to do to stay now.

I like the Orpick Engo pairing. The bash brothers. Makes our pairings a little more dynamic to send out a duo you can count on to cause pain and ruffle feathers. We need that intimidating aspect against some bigger teams.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:08 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
I like the Orpick Engo pairing. The bash brothers. Makes our pairings a little more dynamic to send out a duo you can count on to cause pain and ruffle feathers. We need that intimidating aspect against some bigger teams.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the pairings next season. Hopefully Despres gets a shot to make the team. I do remember last pre-season he was playing pretty well with Letang.

Despres - Letang
Martin - Michalek
Orpik - Engelland

It also might prolong Orpik's career a bit to reduce his minutes a little bit. He might become more effective that way with not as much of a toll being taken on his body.

Some people will get all up in arms saying that Despres isn't ready for a top 4 role, but each of those pairings can play over 20 minutes on any given night.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
BrookswasHere44

What a game!!! Im gonna say it..you can argue all you want. 4 straight games with a fight/physical as heck and were 3-1 with the loss being 1-0. Thats says something loud and clear. This team has lacked balls alot of the year. Lately we havent and results have shown. LOVING IT!!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk311 View Post
Agree with this. And to that end my main issue is all 4 lines were rolling tonight and looking strong. First time all year I think our 4th line looked like it deserved a shift for playing in the opponents end and not just essentially being a 45 second neutral zone regroup drill.

So ET may have had a bad shift, and may not have forced more playing time. But i thought that line, and him had more strong shifts than weak. In my book that's not a recipe for benching. IMO when DB does this, he turns us into even more of a 1 trick pony team. If Geno and Neal don't score we lose.

I will give DB a + for sitting Vitale and lighting the fire. I think Vitale knows what he needs to do to stay now.

He was talking about Vitale

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
NastyNick

With the Orpik hit, i could accept it being called in light of all the injuries recently. It was still the wrong call, but i could at least understand their quick trigger in making that a penalty. NHL officials have always been above using instant replay to correct their judgements anyways.

Except that 2 months ago, the Letang - Pacioretty hit was not penalized. Letang has been out ever since. That hit was a clear headshot, and a textbook example of the type of thing that needs to be penalized. Its hard to fathom that one set of officials called one a penalty, and the other got nothing.

There is a Grand Canyon like gap in the consistency of the NHL officials. It wouldn't even surprise me if the same crew had officiated both games. The league cannot enforce any sort of policy or rule on the players with the enforcement of the rules being as poor as it is. Some nights its bad, some nights its unbearable, and some nights you would swear those guys have money riding on the game. They really, absolutely, need to break the union and clean house.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
SidGenoMario

Do people really drink cough syrup? Kind of off-topic, but really?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
how do you take cough syrup?

Old
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
You know what? it actually means something, it means IDIOTS are making decisions.

Hopefully the idiots of this world won't affect the name of the Hart Trophy winner.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Don't count me among the people who are upset about his minutes. I have said before on numerous occasions that even though I want to see him rewarded for his good play, I don't think he's a top 6 player at this point, and I don't want him put there.

Also to say he never will be a top 6 player is foolish at this point. There are tons of young players that haven't looked like top 6 players early in their careers, that ended up being one later on. It may not end up being here, but he certainly has the talent to get there. Whether he has the motivation to get there is another thing. I'm basing this on watching him playing as well. It's funny how people can have different opinions than you.
That's what I was trying to say..he won't be top6 player on this team..if he's traded it's good for Tangradi..we always will have some Dupuis's, Sullivans to take that spot in the top6 IMO. I just don't think we will have him in our organization for another 2 years just to hope he will be top6er one day.

And yes sure, it's all just my opinion, nothing else

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Purple Drank.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon

Couple of gifs I just made.

Free Candy Edition

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:11 PM
SirBrad

great GIF of Bruce Orpic there.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Bruce Orpic?

Old
01-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Who did we trade to get him?

Certified Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Legend has it that Bruce orpic is who Brooks turns into before going crazy and passing free candy out to the opposition. And if anyone missed it in the gdt, that's what a drunk trolling user called him. So this will forever live on our boards.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote