HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Isles - 7:00 PM - Verizon Center - 1-17-2012

Old
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

vCash: 500
I can't believe how far this team has fallen only 1.5 seasons ago. It's shocking. Just a limp dick at it's finest.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:24 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I can't believe how far this team has fallen only 1.5 seasons ago. It's shocking. Just a limp dick at it's finest.
This is all I keep thinking about recently. Depressing. A shake-up is needed.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:43 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
I did the Math

BB Shots average: 30.6 per game.

DH Shots average: 25 per game

BB SA: 29.7 per game

DH SA: 30.7 per game

Sooooo....

We are taking less shots under DH but yet giving up more than BB.... let me quote somethings:

"Anyonezzz can coach this team!1111!" - as u can see dale is in the playoff race and will likely win the division "BB doesn't know defense!1111!1" - correct + he doesnt have a system
"Defense first hockey winzz gamess1!11" - correct
"Dale Hunter is the answer to all our problems!11!!" - he is the answer to the bruce boudreau firing, nothing more nothing less.
Give me a break. Dales system sucks. Plain and simple
doesnt matter, bruce boudreau is gone thats the importance in this situation right now.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Roughing

The only discernible difference between the stats under the two coaches is GA and that's TVo finally not letting in a softie every game. The rest of this is the players not getting it done. I was/am all for the coaching change, and I like DFH, but this system doesn't fit these soft players.

Something has to change. Since we've already tried changing the guys behind the bench it's time to change some of the ones on it. For all the talk of 'talent' on this team it seems to be lacking that very thing. Ward and Laich are terribly overpaid. The 2nd line is very broken. Knubes looks done. I have all the hope in the world for Kuzy but he's a kid and certainly won't fix this mess by himself next season. They need to add more scoring yesterday.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Our center situation is dreadful. We are talking wet toilet paper.

Anyone that didn't expect an UGLY ass face offense with Nick going down is living in fantasy land. Unless PR/2-3 hats Laich is your guy I suppose, than its Dale's fault.

We were sold on Laich because it would take 2 or 3 players to replace him. What good is it, if he can't even fill Nick's skates at all though? Does he only fill the skates of people below his skill level? When I see him flubbing clears on the PK, going to one knee and turning his head missing the play instead of blocking shots.. sorry but I don't see him filling even one role, let alone 2-3 right now. That cripples our team.

As our team is constructed, Brooks has to bring the offense, the beef down the middle, yet we all know, that is not him. Eakin Beagle MP... at 4C, does the opposition even notice our 4th line? I would blindly prefer Sjogren 0GP over those 3 at 4C.

MJ Laich Halpern Eakin = is going to be a laughable offense. And must be the collective softest 4C's in the league. Get used to it, and Dale's recognition of it and focusing on D.

Some argue teams are build from the net out, others by going strong down the middle. It looks like we have G play. It's our C play and depth that is dreadful.

We have decent wingers, decent D men, decent G play, 2 different coaches and assistants. There isnt much else left, besides the C's and the GM.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-18-2012 at 08:24 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:01 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
It’s shocking how short sighted you are.

“I did the Math” LOL

Did your Math also tell you that the team was giving up 3.4 goals a game under BB?

Or maybe your Math told you the team is giving up 2.4 goals a game under Hunter?

Math is a treble thing to waste in the wrong hands.

You should look at numbers that matter.
You ever think that GA are because of our goalies playing better?

Last time I checked the most important stat that matters is the W column. We have the same as BB, playing in the "right" system and letting less goals a game.

Deny that

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Anyone that didn't expect an UGLY ass face offense with Nick going down is living in fantasy land. Unless PR/2-3 hats Laich is your guy I suppose, than its Dale's fault.

We were sold on Laich because he it would take 2 or 3 players to replace him. What good is it, if he can't even fill Nick's skates at all though? Does he only fill the skates of people below his skill level? When I see him flubbing clears on the PK, going to one knee and turning his head missing the play instead of blocking shots.. sorry but I don't see him filling even one role, let alone 2-3 right now. That cripples our team.

As our team is constructed, Brooks has to bring the offense, the beef down the middle, yet we all know, that is not him. Eakin Beagle MP... at 4C, does the opposition even notice our 4th line? I would blindly prefer Sjogren 0GP over those 3 at 4C.

MJ Laich Halpern Eakin = is going to be a laughable offense. And must be the collective softest 4C's in the league. Get used to it, and Dale's recognition of it and focusing on D.

Some argue teams are build from the net out, others by going strong down the middle. It looks like we have G play. It's our C play and depth that is dreadful.

We have decent wingers, decent D men, decent G play, 2 different coaches and assistants. There isnt much else left, besides the C's and the GM.
I agree. We need a strong number 2 center. And once and for all, a number 1 D-MAN. WE haven't had that type of D-Man since Gonchar left. I guy that can shut down their top players every night, someone that is physical, a leader. All Stanley cup teams have had that

Old
01-18-2012, 08:22 AM
txpd

* the team has fallen, the weight of the losing. if you dont think it has an effect, you're way wrong.

* nash? not a chance

* trade ov? i wouldnt rule it out. ov had an ov like 11pts in 7 games run. the caps won 5 of those and scored at least 3 goals 6 of those games. instead of following up his run of 4 straight 2 point games with steady production, he has gone missing again. just 1 goal and 2pts in 6 games. 6 games where the caps have scored at least 3 goals once(the brouwer hat trick game). conversely semin has 4pts in the past 6 games.

frankly, leonsis has built a fan base that would now support the old grind em out caps of history past if they would win something in the playoffs to create some playoff hope. trading ovechkin has to be considered. $10m for a 30g 75pts player isnt good cap management.

* if you want a high powered offense, you need a different coach and a more dangerous lead goal scorer

Last edited by txpd: 01-18-2012 at 08:29 AM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM
txpd

Quote:
once and for all, a number 1 D-MAN. WE haven't had that type of D-Man since Gonchar left. I guy that can shut down their top players every night, someone that is physical, a leader. All Stanley cup teams have had that
gonchar was a 1d that shutdown their top players every night? someone that is physical, a leader? gonchar? i cant be reading that right.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:42 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
gonchar was a 1d that shutdown their top players every night? someone that is physical, a leader? gonchar? i cant be reading that right.
Def wasn't physical and wasn't really a leader. But he was our number one guy. If you asked people who our number once D-man is today you would probably get different answers.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Def wasn't physical and wasn't really a leader. But he was our number one guy. If you asked people who our number once D-man is today you would probably get different answers.
you want mike green gone. is that correct?

Old
01-18-2012, 09:05 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

We were sold on Laich because it would take 2 or 3 players to replace him. What good is it, if he can't even fill Nick's skates at all though? Does he only fill the skates of people below his skill level? When I see him flubbing clears on the PK, going to one knee and turning his head missing the play instead of blocking shots.. sorry but I don't see him filling even one role, let alone 2-3 right now. That cripples our team.

Amen, Randy. Amen.

Kind of wish GMGM would've gone the Pittsburgh route and draft 3 studly centers.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:12 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
you want mike green gone. is that correct?
Yes. I don't feel he is a good D-man. I know, chew me out.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
txpd

Quote:
Yes. I don't feel he is a good D-man. I know, chew me out.
you must be young. caps fans felt the same about larry murphy when he was green's age and ran him out of town. he's in the hall of fame now with several cup rings. if you think green is bad defensively, you would have fainted watching gonchar in his own zone at green's age.

if you were in LA you would be yelling to ditch doughy, too.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:20 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Amen, Randy. Amen.

Kind of wish GMGM would've gone the Pittsburgh route and draft 3 studly centers.
would you have seriously picked malkin over ovechkin?

Old
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Malkin over Ovi or Gagner over Alzner are the only, let's say... obvious (as in not big reaches) picks he could have made recently (other than 2003, lest it need to be said over and over again) that would have given him an NHL center today. Malkin today vs. Ovi today seems like it would work, but that pick was a no brainer at the time and over their careers, given total impact (not just on the ice but marketability etc.) will probably still look like one when all is said and done. And even if Gagner had been developed properly he's still probably doesn't end up being a more important player than Alzner.

UFA or trade is how they'd have had to get it done, I think.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:33 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
would you have seriously picked malkin over ovechkin?
No, no, no. Thats not what I'm saying. I'm suggesting consistently using our 1st rounders to draft a center till we hit on a few guys. Ovi was a no brainer pick.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Picking Malkin over Ovechkin may have sent the franchise to Hamilton.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
you must be young. caps fans felt the same about larry murphy when he was green's age and ran him out of town. he's in the hall of fame now with several cup rings. if you think green is bad defensively, you would have fainted watching gonchar in his own zone at green's age.

if you were in LA you would be yelling to ditch doughy, too.
Well I am young but I have watched since 2001. I never saw Gonchar when he was young. But I have seen Green every year and he has never impressed me in his own D-zone.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:36 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Well I am young but I have watched since 2001. I never saw Gonchar when he was young. But I have seen Green every year and he has never impressed me in his own D-zone.
Then you haven't watched Green. He's very good defensively and the ONLY reason he got a bad rap was purely because he was an offensive juggernaut. Green is very easily our best all rounded defenseman.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:40 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

What you're actually supposed to do is draft best player available every single time.

The critical element that we lack is having a general manager who then uses various assets to build a TEAM. McPhee is not capable of that unfortunately.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Then you haven't watched Green. He's very good defensively and the ONLY reason he got a bad rap was purely because he was an offensive juggernaut. Green is very easily our best all rounded defenseman.
So wait, I have watched him since he first started playing, have gone to every home game since 2001, and watched all away games on TV and I haven't watched Green?

This is a matter of what I think and I think he is overrated.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
What you're actually supposed to do is draft best player available every single time.
I'm not so sure. I think who you draft should be dependent on the team's needs. Drafting best player available is going to lead to whats happening to this team right now... woefully undertalented in certain spots.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:44 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
So wait, I have watched him since he first started playing, have gone to every home game since 2001, and watched all away games on TV and I haven't watched Green?

This is a matter of what I think and I think he is overrated.
What exactly about his game is lacking? Tell me. He's very easily the best defenseman we have who can clear the d zone, he's pretty damn good at wining puck battles, his breakout passes from our own zone are top notch. He's good on the PK. The only knock on him is his inability to properly protect himself. Dude's been nominated twice for the norris.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Amen, Randy. Amen.

It may not be fair for me to lump this all on Laich because really, it's always on George. But Laich at 2C pretty much always failed in his attempts of the past. He considers himself a center but for almost his entire tenure here, has been at LW.

I wonder if it was him and his agent beating the drums before being inked, that he would sign here to be used as a center. Or, just our thin depth mandated it and George mistakenly thought he was the answer?

Sure he can be a 3C but there is a reason I guessed (wrong) all offseason he would be at 2C. I guess that because he makes way too much to be a 3C with our current top heavy cap structure. I don't care that he can bring PK skills. Or help out on the PP. I really don't. We need a solid ES 2C.

MJ, he is still a kid. His game now is build around speed, and we need patience to let him develop. Hopefully the silver lining of this is his development gets expedited as 1C. Eakin, another small speed kid - we are all just letting him learn. MP, a small scoring center used on 4 is laughable. He should be tried at 1C before 4C. Beagle can pinch hit at C, but really, I haven't seen him do anything of note this year. Halpern the grizzly old vet, meeting reasonable expectations. Sjogren, gone and bridge burned. Nick out. What's left? Laich, making 6M this year. IIRC despite Chimera's hot hand, has been a minus most of the year.

I probably wouldn't single him out now if he blocked some shots on the PK after failed clears last night. Odd, I haven't heard him say its all the players fault lately

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-18-2012 at 09:53 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote