HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dolan crawls out of the woodwork......"says cup in near"

Old
01-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Hey, just to put things into some perspective:

What if Wang was the owner...

ouch

01-18-2012, 09:09 AM
bubba5

Hope he crawls back under that rock!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Rangers owner Jim Dolan, who hasn't spoken to Rangers media since lockout, makes surprise visit to interview room. Says Rangers near Cup.

Dolan credits Glen Sather for franchise's turnaround, restructuring organization, sticking with kids, good drafts, etc.

Torts, who hears Dolan say his team is near a Cup, can't believe it, tries to squelch that talk before it goes too far. Calls it "B.S."

This is why I am a Torts guy...****ing Dolan

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Hey, just to put things into some perspective:

What if Wang was the owner...

ouch
If Wang was the owner of the Rangers, he would not have the problems he has with the Islanders, their facilities and the petty politicians to deal with out on the Island.

There's a good chance he would be a better owner than Dolan.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Dolan is an ******* and Torts is right.I love this guys attitude.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Seriously Dolan.......keep your damn mouth shut. Only a moron like you, who knows d-ck about hockey, would come out in January and say that the cup is near.

Go f-ck up the knicks for another 20 years and leave the Rangers to people who know a little something about hockey.
You tell him noupf baby! The guy is a ********* ******* and I firmly believe that Torts can't stomach Dolan and just tolerates Savior. I'm sure he would love to pull a Moe Howard of the three stooges and crack Dolan's and Savior's heads together! Dolan is nothing but a foil for the Knicks and he should stay the hell away from our team.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dolan has given Sather carte blanche. Sather runs the Rangers. Look at how many people are employed by Sather. Who allows Sather to hire all of these people? Dolan spends the money. He built the Rangers and Knicks facility in Greenburgh,NY. The Rangers are a first class operation. They travel first class. Stay in great hotels. That stuff costs money. Dolan pays for it.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Whatever. The guy hasn't give 2 ***** about the team since he took over as owner. Now that the team is first overall in the entire league, NOW he decides to address the media, and say "we're" close to winning a cup? "We're" not close to anything Dolan. Sather deserves more credit than you, and I hate Sather. Just continue to write checks and keep your mouth shut. And shave that ugly beard, it makes you look fatter than you already are. D**che bag.
Agree but I respectively decline to give Savior any credit for changing our "so called strategy" in 2004 because if the lockout never happens and a salary cap isn't instituted, ole Savior would still be spending his lover's money like a drunken sailor. The only thing I'll give Savior credit for is hiring the right people to handle the draft, scout and coach our team. He admittedly has also shown lots of restraint in refusing to gut the team of our prospects and he has done a nice job with trades. I give credit where credit is due but as far as Dolan is concerned, "**** off, you're invading our airspace up here in the blue seats.". LGR!!!!!

Old
01-18-2012, 10:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pierre LeBrun

Quote:
Do you think the rangers are legit cup contenders? Also do you think they will make any good or surprising moves near the dead line that will help fix any weaknesses they have?
Pierre LeBrun (11:00 AM)

Yes I believe they are. Basically there are 8 teams among the elite right now in the NHL and you can basically flip a coin between them: Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Philly, San Jose, St. Louis, Vancouver and the Rangers.I am told the Rangers are looking for a PP d-man and/or a top-six forward who can put the puck in the net
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...-pierre-lebrun

Dolan isn't wrong for what he said.

Sather would get zero credit if the Rangers do win the Cup in the near future. People keep pointing back to ancient history.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:18 AM
CH2

Dolan can talk all he wants, it's his team. I'd rather have him come out of the woodwork every so often than be like the wilpons, henrys, or steinbrenners that always seem to interfere with the front office.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

oh torts

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pierre LeBrun

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...-pierre-lebrun

Dolan isn't wrong for what he said.

Sather would get zero credit if the Rangers do win the Cup in the near future. People keep pointing back to ancient history.
Dolan has destroyed nearly everything MSG related since he took over about 15 years ago. Look whats happened to the Knicks and Rangers over that time. Its been a disaster. Just because he spends money makes him a good owner? Hes put the wrong people in charge of his operations for years now.

And to peak his head out of his hole to gloat about a great start 44 games into the season? It makes him look like an idiot. You finally have something going right for the first time since he's been the head of MSG - just shut the **** up.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dolan has destroyed nearly everything MSG related since he took over about 15 years ago. Look whats happened to the Knicks and Rangers over that time. Its been a disaster. Just because he spends money makes him a good owner? Hes put the wrong people in charge of his operations for years now.

And to peak his head out of his hole to gloat about a great start 44 games into the season? It makes him look like an idiot. You finally have something going right for the first time since he's been the head of MSG - just shut the **** up.
This.

Dolan is a money machine and puts it in his teams and im thankful we have an owner like that, but he always puts his head into personal moves when he knows nothing.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Agree but I respectively decline to give Savior any credit for changing our "so called strategy" in 2004 because if the lockout never happens and a salary cap isn't instituted, ole Savior would still be spending his lover's money like a drunken sailor. The only thing I'll give Savior credit for is hiring the right people to handle the draft, scout and coach our team. He admittedly has also shown lots of restraint in refusing to gut the team of our prospects and he has done a nice job with trades. I give credit where credit is due but as far as Dolan is concerned, "**** off, you're invading our airspace up here in the blue seats.". LGR!!!!!
Oh you won't get an argument from me. I have been saying that about the lockout for years and have been Sather's harshest critic up until this season really..I give him credit for the same things you give him, all I'm saying, is compared to Dolan, he does deserve more. All Jimbo does is right the checks. Screw him.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree.

Expressing confidence in the organization is bad, how?

The coaching staff will keep the players' heads on straight.

It doesn't bother me, we have been a team with a target on our backs all season long, we get under the opposition's skin. From Anisimov's gun, to Rupp's salute, to Tortorella's comments about NBC and the refs, to Sather's smack talk at the Winter Classic press conference, to now Dolan's proclamation.

We play a game that pisses people off, by coming at them non-stop, the league hates our goaltender because he's better and better looking then the rest of the league.

I actually enjoy it. Let the league get irked by us. Us vs the world is what we want.
Sigh..this sounds a whole lot like Vancouver last season. ;/ Something I drastically want my beloved organization to distance itself from. This sense of arrogance or unwarranted entitlement, despite the fact we've been playing well this season. It's only been half of a season.

Sure, Dolan is happy the team is doing well. Why? MONEY. The only thing Dolan cares about is the fact that the Rangers have kicked up their merch sales this season. Now, like so many others have already said in this thread, after god knows how long of completely ignoring this organzation, he has to come out and say "Hey, look what I did! Pretty good job, right? We even might win the Cup soon, I bet!" **** you, idiot. Go away again please, this team is doing just fine without you trying to puff up your own feathers in public because THEY'VE been doing things right.

I would much rather be regarded as a team like the Wings. Respectable, classy, well liked around the league, and not arrogant dickheads who think things should just be handed to them because of the city they live and play in. Then again if we can keep winning..

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Hey Jimmy — don't help.

01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I don't mind that he finally came out and said something... it's his team, he ponies up the cash... I do wish he had not mentioned the ultimate prize tho.

That smacks of distraction, jinx, hubris... whatevs...

I'm glad Torts said what he said after. It was perfect.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:02 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Sounds a lot like Rex Ryan, only difference is he's the owner, not the coach. I'd have little to no issue if Torts came out and said that the team has what it takes to win a cup, but Dolan saying so irks me. He's here because the team is doing well. If the team was in the 5th or 6th spot in the East, he'd be nowhere near the team. Also with the Knicks being marginally good right now, Dolan needs something to toot his horn about. Might as well be the team he knows nothing about and players he's probably met once or twice in their time here.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I was going to post something similar. Aside from hiring and keeping Sather ( a debate for different day), all Dolan has done is throw $$ at the team. He doesn't interfere, he just let's the President and the GM run the hockey team, what more do people want from the owner? he came out and said he thinks his team is near the cup, what's the big deal/problem with this?

I understand that there may be some Cablevision issues i'm not aware of, but a lot of this hate seems odd.
He's not supposed to interfere dude. I'll repeat it, if it weren't for the lockout and the institution of a salary cap, Savior would still be spending like a drunken sailor on burnt out former stars. The salary cap and hiring the right people to handle the draft, scout, develop the prospects and coach the team have put us in the position we are a currently in regarding the standings. We have won absolutely nothing yet and anybody who thinks we are close to a cup needs to wake up!

Old
01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Wouldn't you love to know what item Dolan gave Sather as collateral for a Stanley Cup? Our guesses: Either jars of tears from Time Warner Cable subscribers or the remaining 30 years or the soul of Sam Rosen.
Oh God

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...HOvw3.mAl7vLYF

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Oh you won't get an argument from me. I have been saying that about the lockout for years and have been Sather's harshest critic up until this season really..I give him credit for the same things you give him, all I'm saying, is compared to Dolan, he does deserve more. All Jimbo does is right the checks. Screw him.
Damn skippy dude! Us die hard fans have to stick together and put things into proper prospective.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Crease

"Oh yeah...Jimmy played pretty good."

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Dolan is Boss Tweed, pure and simple. He's a disaster. GO AWAY.

Glad Torts called him out. Hey Jim, everyone hates your guts.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
You don't think it's odd that the guy all the sudden comes out of the woodwork NOW to show his support, when he's all but ignored them for years? He practically drove the franchise into the ground before the lockout, and if it wasn't for said lockout and a salary cap, Sather would probably still just be throwing good money after bad. I'm supposed to embrace that? All he did was draw a lot of unneeded distractions towards the team from the media who are all over this story today. Big shocker there.

You can spew blind love for Dolan all you want. I'm not fooled. He's a clueless owner who wouldn't know what a zamboni was if it fell on him.
I ****** love it! You are 100% correctamente about everything. Keep that wimpy owner who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth away from our team!

Old
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
This is a great post. Dolan has done everything you could expect from an owner from a hockey standpoint. He allows us to spend to the cap every year, and is willing to swallow huge cap hits by burying them in the minors or buyouts, which is something many other owners would not be willing to do. He also, to a large degree, stays out of hockey affairs and allows his GM to do his job unencumbered.

Many people just hate Dolan because of who he is as a businessman. He's ultra-rich by birth, is a shrewd negotiator, doesn't have a great personality, and is currently screwing a large portion of NYR fans who are TWC subscribers because he yanked the MSG feeds during negotiations. It's your prerogative to hate him for personal reasons, but as NYR Owner, he really hasn't done anything to earn the ire of the fans.
He runs a government sponsored monopoly business that he did not even create - and does not do it particularly well.

Add to that "business" hatred. The whole Isiah debacle with the Knicks was one of the most terrifying instances of an owner screwing over a franchise and fan base. So yea, I'd say being wary of Dolan raising his profile with the Rangers is totally reasonable.

Everything was fine with him out of sight and out of mind (as even the apologists are saying here) - why the hell does he show up now?

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote