HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

1/16/12 "We Have A Dream" - Bruins VS Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
as one who'd been slamming this team for some pathetic hockey past month plus but i was very happy with their response last night. that was a really good game, once it got going. far too many turnovers and soft plays early on but they picked up their play as the game went on and really matched the Bs who, despite some poor changes and vulnerability to those stretch passes (4 breakaways???), played a solid game. believe it or not, edwards and brickley were singing the team's praises.

tho versteeg was a tad more assertive, there were two plays that i think really underscore the difference in his play i'm talking about. i believe both were in the 2nd and on the first, he went into the left D's corner for a 50/50 puck with chara and, when push came to shove, basically said "oh... YOU want the puck, go ahead man, it's all yours". contrast that with santo in a pretty similar situation a few minutes later - he went for the puck like he wanted it, shoulder to shoulder with chara, and drew a hooking penalty. it's the little things.

all in all tho, a very solid game. once the pace and intensity (and crowd) picked up, it began feeling a little like playoff hockey. i don't care about losing a game like that considering the type of crap hockey we've been playing of late. if we can build on that game and reestablish the type of identity we had earlier in the season in time for this critical stretch, we'll be ok.
This.

Right now, the first line has to be split up. I feel like they're not all that effective on the forecheck. There's a lack of size on the line, and they're no longer getting by on skill alone. I'd really like to see Matthias get some playing time with either Versteeg or Flash. I say Flash. Keep Weiss with Versteeg I guess and maybe Kopecky or Bergenheim on their wing. I think it'd create some more balanced scoring.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:24 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
This.

Right now, the first line has to be split up. I feel like they're not all that effective on the forecheck. There's a lack of size on the line, and they're no longer getting by on skill alone. I'd really like to see Matthias get some playing time with either Versteeg or Flash. I say Flash. Keep Weiss with Versteeg I guess and maybe Kopecky or Bergenheim on their wing. I think it'd create some more balanced scoring.
I agree with that completely. The top line just isn't working the way it was originally lately. I have been really impressed with Matthias's work ethic and determination over the past few weeks and he seems like a man on a mission that deserves a bit of a promotion. Versteeg and Weiss seem to have a good deal of chemistry, so I wouldn't break those two up. It's an interesting thought with a few possibilities.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
zeroG

Quote:
This.

they were battling hard down low consistently a couple of months ago. as with many teams tho, keeping that work ethic going almost every night is difficult. the teams that are doing it this year are at the top. the teams that aren't have dropped (toronto...).

all for seeing more of matthias with guys who can compliment him. he's been so impressive.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:32 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Caps lose 3-0 to the Isles and the Jets down 5-1 to the Devils. That is huge and makes tomorrow even more important for 2 points for a little seperation.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Caps lose 3-0 to the Isles and the Jets down 5-1 to the Devils. That is huge and makes tomorrow even more important for 2 points for a little seperation.
For what it's worth, the Leafs lost in regulation too, which is nice.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Both Wash and Winn lost tonight. Watched the Wash game, Isles played very well.

I'm interested in seeing how the top line continues to respond to Dineen. Breaking em up may be inevitable, but they're a successful line that needs to get back to what was working before. Still too cute at times. I've seen Versteeg handle the puck the way Horton used to lately. Lots of stick work, little success. Stick to what works.

01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Both Wash and Winn lost tonight. Watched the Wash game, Isles played very well.

I'm interested in seeing how the top line continues to respond to Dineen. Breaking em up may be inevitable, but they're a successful line that needs to get back to what was working before. Still too cute at times. I've seen Versteeg handle the puck the way Horton used to lately. Lots of stick work, little success. Stick to what works.
Versteeg is playing to the extreme of both sides lately and neither one is good.

The one extreme when it looks like he's coasting out there and the other extreme when he's trying to do too much under impossible circumstances. He really loves to go 1-on-3 or 1-on-4 thinking he can deke out a whole line or something. Did it last night in the 3rd period and has been doing it a bunch. Someone needs to tell him to just dump the puck in, in that scenario. Those silly plays in the neutral zone could end up being costly if he continues doing it.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Versteeg is playing to the extreme of both sides lately and neither one is good.

The one extreme when it looks like he's coasting out there and the other extreme when he's trying to do too much under impossible circumstances. He really loves to go 1-on-3 or 1-on-4 thinking he can deke out a whole line or something. Did it last night in the 3rd period and has been doing it a bunch. Someone needs to tell him to just dump the puck in, in that scenario. Those silly plays in the neutral zone could end up being costly if he continues doing it.
Yeah, agree. I see what TO and Philly fans were saying about him now. Seems he's trying to hard to get the line going, Flash is back to the first several game slump. They'll both turn it around, everyone goes through slumps, it's a long season.

Old
01-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
For what it's worth, the Leafs lost in regulation too, which is nice.
Yep, an almost perfect night. I don't really think the Pens will miss the playoffs though. It's cool if they lose, but I'm not really paying attention to them. That team is so determined and Letang will be back soon. Have to give them credit.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
zeroG

Quote:

yes. this is what happens (imo), when guys start looking for an easier way. let's be realistic - it's not easy to go hard into the corners and battle guys like chara for 50/50 pucks. so it's natural to see guys looking for an easier way at times. good teams, teams with guys who know what it takes don't let that mentality set in. hopefully we're seeing a turn away from that weak-willed type of hockey of late.

Closed Thread