HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonagh should not go back to the second pairing

Old
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
bogans

vCash: 500
McDonagh should not go back to the second pairing

Ryan McDonagh is tremendous and he is still just developing and adjusting to the NHL in his first full season on Broadway. Everybody gives him credit for filling in for Marc Staal on the top pairing while he is healing. I do not mean to imply in any way that Staal or Girardi belong on the second pairing either. The way McD draws the forecheckers in close to him and makes a quick turn to be able to rush up the ice with at least one opposition player already out of position is something that I have not seem done as smoothly as he does on Broadway. He never seems to get overwhelmed and nervous, keeps calm and makes the right play 90% of the time and is only improving.

Between the three top pairing guys NYR has, and then Sauer, Del Zotto, Eminger, Stralman, and even a developing Tim Erixon, there is the wealth of top two pairing defenseman in New York. I wouldn't want to see any of these guys lost from our organization, but it sure screams trade. Any proposals on what to do with the wealth of talent on the backend? I would hate to see McD get pushed back to the second pair, almost as much as I would really hate to see DelZotto get pushed back to the third. And to be honest, Stralman deserves ice time as much as Eminger the way the guy has been going. THe only guy truly untradeable is DelZotto in my opinion due to his offensive potential which many of the other assets do not possess, though he may be the most valuable trading chip other than Staal who is clearly untouchable.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If Staal or whoever is playing better than him, he should go back to whatever pairing. You just don't stay first pairing if you are not as good as someone else or playing like crap.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

In the game Sunday night, Brian Engblom called the McD-Girardi pair 'the best shut-down pairing in hockey'...

You just can't break up that top pairing this season...when Staal is back @ 100% and Sauer rejoins the team in a few weeks, I put those two together on the second pairing (which would be deadly in its own right!) and then keep Del Z-Stralman as an AWESOME third pairing that can log more minutes than any third pairing in the game...I'd be ready to go to war with that D!

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Hey, just because he may end up on the 2nd pairing eventually doesn't mean he isn't 1st pair quality, after all he has two all stars ahead of him. The Rangers are deep defensively.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
In the game Sunday night, Brian Engblom called the McD-Girardi pair 'the best shut-down pairing in hockey'...

You just can't break up that top pairing this season...when Staal is back @ 100% and Sauer rejoins the team in a few weeks, I put those two together on the second pairing (which would be deadly in its own right!) and then keep Del Z-Stralman as an AWESOME third pairing that can log more minutes than any third pairing in the game...I'd be ready to go to war with that D!
You can absolutely break it up if they both start to struggle.

Though I don't think that they will.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

this is without a doubt a GREAT problem to have. im sure MCD knows he took Staals spot, but thats its his to loose. Im sure the two will be battling to for the first pairing spot which is by no means a bad thing. and just because either one is on the second pairing doesnt mean they arent first pairing material and having a 1a 1b shutdown pairing will be great come playoff time.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Vitto79

When Sauer is back I would say they have top pairing A and B to chose from

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Sauer

for offense Del Zotto , Stralman

Eminger in for Stralman if they want more "JAM"

again Bickel does not play when its important the guy is getting waived. Good trooper but when everyone is healthy he is waived........same goes for Woywitka

After the All Star Break everyone hopefully is back on D

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Hey, just because he may end up on the 2nd pairing eventually doesn't mean he isn't 1st pair quality, after all he has two all stars ahead of him. The Rangers are deep defensively.
This.

What rotten luck! The Rangers have three top pairing d-men. Oh no!

This team is ridiculously deep on the blue line and the truth is that the Rangers have not even iced their best possible team yet this year. Someone has always been out on the back end.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

As of right now, you're right. Things do change. This is still McDonagh's first full NHL season. He may start struggling at some point playing such huge minutes. Fortunately for us, if that does start to happen, hopefully Staal will be just hitting his stride / comfort level and the two can switch. I have no problem with any combination of mcd, Girardi, Staal, Sauer in our top 4, and like other posters have mentioned, del Zotto and Stralman have been great so far. If either of those two waiver, we have Bickel and Eminger who are certainly adequate #6's. We're in good shape if we can avoid the injury bug for the rest of the year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
When Sauer is back I would say they have top pairing A and B to chose from

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Sauer

for offense Del Zotto , Stralman

Eminger in for Stralman if they want more "JAM"

again Bickel does not play when its important the guy is getting waived. Good trooper but when everyone is healthy he is waived........same goes for Woywitka

After the All Star Break everyone hopefully is back on D
no, they have room to keep bickel around. only woywitka should go.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

They would be foolish to split Girardi and McDonagh. They have both elevated their game significantly this year. Some of that is one feeding off the other.

Staal and Sauer would make a great second shutdown pair. That will be of immense value in the playoffs.

Consider Girardi/McDonagh vs Crosby line and Staal/Sauer vs. Malkin line. You've got to like that. It's a defensive depth that no team in the NHL can match. It's how championships (cough, cough) are won.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Staal still is not the same, so I think there is no question.

Barring injury or major collapse by MDZ, I think the left side of our D will stay as is for now.

01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

When Bickel and Stralman were not playing last night later in the 3rd period, Staal & MDZ were out on the ice together and MDZ was playing the right side?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Staal and DZ were paired again last night in the 3rd period. DZ looked comfortable on the right side. Sullivan experimented with that pairing in Montreal. He went back to the Staal-MDZ pair in the 3rd last night.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
When Bickel and Stralman were not playing last night later in the 3rd period, Staal & MDZ were out on the ice together and MDZ was playing the right side?
They were paired together in MTL at times in the 3rd period.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staal and DZ were paired again last night in the 3rd period. DZ looked comfortable on the right side. Sullivan experimented with that pairing in Montreal. He went back to the Staal-MDZ pair in the 3rd last night.
yeah I'm real interested to see how that develops. I could see something where Sauer and Staal play together when the team needs more defense, and when Del Zotto switches with Sauer when the team wants some offense. Also think that playing with Staal might give Del Zotto a little more comfort to do some stuff offensively. Stralman seems to play up a lot and that makes Del Zotto have to be more defensively responsible (and vice versa, really)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Definitely. And they put on quite the defensive showing last night.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Ryan McDonagh is tremendous and he is still just developing and adjusting to the NHL in his first full season on Broadway. Everybody gives him credit for filling in for Marc Staal on the top pairing while he is healing. I do not mean to imply in any way that Staal or Girardi belong on the second pairing either. The way McD draws the forecheckers in close to him and makes a quick turn to be able to rush up the ice with at least one opposition player already out of position is something that I have not seem done as smoothly as he does on Broadway. He never seems to get overwhelmed and nervous, keeps calm and makes the right play 90% of the time and is only improving.

Between the three top pairing guys NYR has, and then Sauer, Del Zotto, Eminger, Stralman, and even a developing Tim Erixon, there is the wealth of top two pairing defenseman in New York. I wouldn't want to see any of these guys lost from our organization, but it sure screams trade. Any proposals on what to do with the wealth of talent on the backend? I would hate to see McD get pushed back to the second pair, almost as much as I would really hate to see DelZotto get pushed back to the third. And to be honest, Stralman deserves ice time as much as Eminger the way the guy has been going. THe only guy truly untradeable is DelZotto in my opinion due to his offensive potential which many of the other assets do not possess, though he may be the most valuable trading chip other than Staal who is clearly untouchable.
Win the Stanley Cup.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Win the Stanley Cup.
Would love if that works out this year. Do you think you maintain the current team to do so or as difficult as it is to think about since all of these guys are homegrown, do you trade one of top five for another scoring threat? Honestly, I could not even think about trading any of the homegrown guys, Staal, Girardi, McD, Sauer, and DelZotto are all Rangers and even though McD was drafted by the Habs, he was never truly part of their organization. I would HATE to see any of those five in another sweater. BUT do you need three top pairing guys and two more second pairing guys, along with three others who can ably fill bottom pairing and even, at times, second pairing duties??

Don't we all agree that this team could use another proven finisher to take some defensive attention away from Gaborik? I'm not talking a rental if NYR trades one of these guys, but will a guy like Bobby Ryan really be made available? If Sather waits until the offseason, he might be able to get Parise for free on the left side, which is exactly what this team could use. He would fit in tremendously well in the room in my opinion and on the ice from everything I have seen of the kid.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If things keep going the way they have been, it won't matter what combination of Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto and McDonahgh you put together. All four are going to get serious minutes with Bickel and Stralman seemingly losing Torts' confidence.

Still think the Rangers need to look at add a vet D-man at the deadline (Hal Gill?)

01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yes, that was the case. DZ can for sure play the right side. He has the skill set to do so and do it very well. I would absolutely love to see this in the future:

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Erixon-Sauer

This season, I can see them getting another LD to fill in on the 3rd pairing with Sauer and form a pairing that can play shutdown D as well as kill penalties and provide rest for Girardi and McDonagh down the stretch. Also, after the powerplay, which DZ and Girardi-McDonagh play on, you can pair Staal and Sauer together the shift after.

This is a great issue to have if you want to refer to it that way. When healthy, our D is the best in the league this season, easily.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post

I umderstand your thinking, but remember that a big part of GABBYs success this season comes from playing with atleast MDZ. He needs those passes.

My point, if neither McD(-Girardi) or Staal(-Sauer) plays 5 on 5 when Gabby is on the ice -- in a game with alot of PP, both of them would get like <20 minutes of IT.

In an ideal world, we got em on the ice 22 minutes each or something.

I am not saying that I have a better suggestion though.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Staal-Sauer would be a tremendous defensive duo.
Staal-Stralman could be a balance of good puck movement and defense.
MDZ-Sauer we've seen before.
MDZ-Stralman would that work out?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
If Staal or whoever is playing better than him, he should go back to whatever pairing. You just don't stay first pairing if you are not as good as someone else or playing like crap.
So your implying Staal automatically goes back with Girardi???Ridiculous !Just more blowing of Staal,its insane.

McD and Girardi,should stay a pair,end of story its working great.Only Staal's fault he got a head made of glass.He should stay where ever he fits in.He is fine where he is at now.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
So your implying Staal automatically goes back with Girardi???Ridiculous !

McD and Girardi,should stay a pair,end of story its working great.Only Staals fault he got a head made of glass.He should stay where ever he fits in.He is fine where he i at now.
Re-read what I wrote again. Try and understand it. Re-reply. I wrote nothing of the sort.

Your bias against Staal is now making you misread someone's posts.