HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier

Old
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
I'm pretty sure he's alluding to the fact that many of us don't even acknowledge Pinnochio's existence.
So why is he the official "Flyers insider" on the website? The guy is terrible, he is one of two Flyer reporters I do not follow on twitter, since it is USELESS following him. I also do not follow Frank Seravelli - but he is just a ****.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:51 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Extremely excited to watch Coots blossom right in front of us over the past month. Since he has returned from his injury he has been are most consistent forward.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I really hope giroux and briere's offseason work ethic rubs off on him this offseason. I think everyone recognizses how special he can be but its the offseason that is going to determine how he develops.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
kicksave27

Clarke hates timmah too.

Never thought he'd be this good defensively, especially early. Once he fills in, he'll be stronger on the puck in the offensive zone.

One thing about the flyers, in the last 15 years, they do not miss on first round forwards.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Clarke hates timmah too.

Never thought he'd be this good defensively, especially early. Once he fills in, he'll be stronger on the puck in the offensive zone.

One thing about the flyers, in the last 15 years, they do not miss on first round forwards.
The jury's still out on van Riemsdyk.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Best teenage defensive forward I have ever personally watched. His awareness on the ice is unbelievable.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The jury's still out on van Riemsdyk.
2007 had a Top 6 of Kane, vanRiemsdyk, Turris, Alzner, Voracek and Gagner. Kane went at #1, of the remaining players vanRiemsdyk still looks like the best choice.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
2007 had a Top 6 of Kane, vanRiemsdyk, Turris, Alzner, Voracek and Gagner. Kane went at #1, of the remaining players vanRiemsdyk still looks like the best choice.
Right now, I'd say it's a toss up between JVR, Alzner, and Voracek. Not too bad though when we have 2 of the 3.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
facts

I agree with every post in this thread, love the kid, his defensive game is foolish how good he is, he is so patient with the puck and he is just teasing us with his offensive upside. I think that Lavi and Briere really deserve a lot of credit here for his progress. Lavi for being consistant with his duties assigned and ice time, relying on his defensive game and not really putting him in a situation to fail. And Briere, yes Briere for taking him in for the season , his comfort level on the ice and confidence are really coming forward right now. Cooter much like G started to really find their respective games under the mentoring of Briere. We obviously focus on the hockey struggles during the year but the social adjustments are difficult on young players too! This kid is just 19 and on the cusp of being a good all around forward, at this point I trade Carter for Cooter straight up not to mention Jake.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Right now, I'd say it's a toss up between JVR, Alzner, and Voracek. Not too bad though when we have 2 of the 3.
No way is Alzner up there with those guys at this point

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Prongo
Beer

Don't forget we also got Nick Cousins, who some people think is a pretty good young player also.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Don't forget we also got Nick Cousins, who some people think is a pretty good young player also.
Exactly. Say what you want about Homer, but the Carter trade was a stroke of genius that will make the Flyers a demonstrably better team going forward. As if Couturier and Voracek weren't enough, Cousins will be an NHL regular within two or three years.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
God I hate Panaccio so much.
It's a wonder he still has a job. Honestly I next to positive he doesn't watch the games. He gets everything you could imagine wrong

Anyway.....Coots is awesome

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Does anyone know why he is not used on the PP at all? Read, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek all get time but Couts gets 0. Seems like with his vision and shot he would be an excellent PP guy. He doesn't have to be a first unit guy, but I can't see why he wouldn't get the odd chance.
Just coaching decision. Lavy is trying not to wear him out, which doing PK + PP + ES duty might. Also, we've got too many forwards fighting for PP time as it is. That's also why he's been using Schenn, Voracek and JVR on the points, to spread the PP time around. All 12 forwards can't get PP time, and those who get max PK time are left out...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Exactly. Say what you want about Homer, but the Carter trade was a stroke of genius that will make the Flyers a demonstrably better team going forward. As if Couturier and Voracek weren't enough, Cousins will be an NHL regular within two or three years.
I would think not. I have seen him play a number of times and his game is far to reckless at the moment to be considered for the NHL in the next 2-3 years.

He plays a similar game to Brad Marchand, but as you know, at the same age Cousins is not getting the same spotlight Marchand had because he isnt as good offensively, or as gritty. I think he has the tools to turn into an effect 3rd line checker if he can screw his head on tight. He oozes immaturity in the OHL at the moment.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I would think not. I have seen him play a number of times and his game is far to reckless at the moment to be considered for the NHL in the next 2-3 years.

He plays a similar game to Brad Marchand, but as you know, at the same age Cousins is not getting the same spotlight Marchand had because he isnt as good offensively, or as gritty. I think he has the tools to turn into an effect 3rd line checker if he can screw his head on tight. He oozes immaturity in the OHL at the moment.
Just going on what I've heard from people who have watched him regularly. I appreciate your opinion, though, and hope Cousins can learn to control his emotions (or at least channel them) and put it all together.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Cousins is sort of a dick.

But I hope he turns out to be good.

I'm sure we've all seen this, he's a bit of an antagonizer and paid for it here, even though the guy slashing was an obvious maniac that lost his ****.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

What games are you watching? Cousins is just as good offensively and defensively as Marchand was as an 18 year old.

I've seen Cousins numerous times and he's going to be a very good player. Yes, he's a little immature, but this was a kid who just turned 18 not long before the draft. Cousins has incredible wheels, he's got really good vision and he can finish his scoring chances. He's a pest, which brings up the immaturity, but he's very effective on the ice at what he does. I'm sure in two more years when he matures a little more, he'll be perfectly fine.

Two to three years is Cousins' projected time when he'll be ready and he's right on par.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
And Briere, yes Briere for taking him in for the season , his comfort level on the ice and confidence are really coming forward right now. Cooter much like G started to really find their respective games under the mentoring of Briere. We obviously focus on the hockey struggles during the year but the social adjustments are difficult on young players too! This kid is just 19 and on the cusp of being a good all around forward, at this point I trade Carter for Cooter straight up not to mention Jake.
When Briere retires (if he is still with Philly), he should consider taking a job working in player development for the Flyers club, a la Lappy (or are these opportunities only available to LTIR players?). I just find it insane that of the two players he's taken into his home/mentored, one is half a season away from being considered elite, and the other is showing signs of being a total superstar in the next couple of years. Of course, it could be coincidence (Briere said he offered the room to them partially because he wanted more French-speakers around his kids), but it could also be that Danny B is one hell of a mentor, and is really great at nurturing a sense of "hockey life" social skills/work ethic in young players.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
When Briere retires (if he is still with Philly), he should consider taking a job working in player development for the Flyers club, a la Lappy (or are these opportunities only available to LTIR players?). I just find it insane that of the two players he's taken into his home/mentored, one is half a season away from being considered elite, and the other is showing signs of being a total superstar in the next couple of years. Of course, it could be coincidence (Briere said he offered the room to them partially because he wanted more French-speakers around his kids), but it could also be that Danny B is one hell of a mentor, and is really great at nurturing a sense of "hockey life" social skills/work ethic in young players.
To me, this is why the Briere signing was so important. Besides the job he does on the ice, it's his job off ice and working with the younger guys that his value has really come through. I don't htink Giroux or Couturier become the players they are without Danny's influence. Danny really is a superb leader and has been dynamite.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
OK so we all know that Couturier is awesome, and continues to impress.

Panaccio (my nemesis), however, has repeatedly stated in his articles that Couturier is fast. He even went as far as to say he is faster than Powe in his article from last night.

Panaccio's Article

If you even remotely followed the NHL Draft it was quite apparent that most people felt Couturier's biggest flaw was his skating ability. Not a big deal, he graded well above average in basically everything else. Player's aren't perfect after-all.

Or, if you just simply watched the games, it's pretty clear that Couturier isn't a good skater. Again, that's ok. It's just the way it is.

I felt the need to look into it and leave him this comment on his article...

God I hate Panaccio so much.
You've made me happy

01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You've made me happy
Glad I could oblige.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
DeflatedFootball7

No offense intended, but if someone here is an OHL fan, and not a Soo fan it's probably not a good idea to listen to their opinion about Cousins.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:53 PM
achdumeingute

After watching this group of young forwards there is ZERO chance I move Simmonds, Couts, or Voracek...these guys are going to be great for this team for a long time.

I'd have to be overwhelmed to deal Schenn as well.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:36 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What games are you watching? Cousins is just as good offensively and defensively as Marchand was as an 18 year old.

I've seen Cousins numerous times and he's going to be a very good player. Yes, he's a little immature, but this was a kid who just turned 18 not long before the draft. Cousins has incredible wheels, he's got really good vision and he can finish his scoring chances. He's a pest, which brings up the immaturity, but he's very effective on the ice at what he does. I'm sure in two more years when he matures a little more, he'll be perfectly fine.

Two to three years is Cousins' projected time when he'll be ready and he's right on par.
I agree he will be good, and has great offensive instincts, but I think Marchand was a bit better at the same age. You have him coming into the NHL at age 20-21. That either A) forgoes his O/A year to play NHL, or B) plays an O/A in the OHL then straight to NHL, or AHL in his O/A year then NHL year after. I can't see that happening, not with Cousins. A 2-3 year projection out of the draft would be an absolute best case scenerio for him, and it isnt from a lack of ability, but some of the best drafted players, the best, take that long. While it's entirely possible, I just can't see it happening. It is a wait and see none the less, no sense arguing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
No offense intended, but if someone here is an OHL fan, and not a Soo fan it's probably not a good idea to listen to their opinion about Cousins.
Why exactly is that, if we see him play multiple times a year? I guess you don't offer your opinion on other players around the NHL aside from the Flyers then eh?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote