HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather Appreciation Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
God I hate this excuse. Of course hindsight is 20/20. How the hell else are we supposed to judge their performance? Does that mean that GMs and coaches get a free pass for failure? No. They get paid to have foresight. They get paid to be right more than they are wrong.

The only thing that matters is winning. If the GM and/or coach don't win enough, they get replaced. It's as simple as that.

By any other standard, Sather would have been fired long ago.
Only consider the information that was available at the time.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't recall people clambering for Gomez and Drury. Regardless, it's the front offices job to evaluate talent not bow to will of the fans.
Are you kidding me? People were jumping for joy when we made those signings.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Again, hindsight is 20-20. Gomez and Drury weren't considered bad players when they were signed. We desperately needed centers and we were one of the better teams in the league the year we lost to Pitt. Let it go, the team we have now is amazing.

The team has been getting younger since the lockout but we still use free agency.
Again, it comes down to talent evaluation. Gomez and Drury may have been considered good players when they were signed. But it's a GM and front office's job to evaluate what they will become in the future.

Love to hear the spin behind the Redden signing.

01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
God I hate this excuse. Of course hindsight is 20/20. How the hell else are we supposed to judge their performance? Does that mean that GMs and coaches get a free pass for failure? No. They get paid to have foresight. They get paid to be right more than they are wrong.

The only thing that matters is winning. If the GM and/or coach don't win enough, they get replaced. It's as simple as that.

By any other standard, Sather would have been fired long ago.
Well, he didn't. And since all that matters is winning- that must have been the right move. We're great right now.

Post lockout Sather has performed up to expectations.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Are you kidding me? People were jumping for joy when we made those signings.
Not everyone. But again, the fact that some fans were jumping for joy does not validate the move a GM makes. As I recall a lot of people were furious when they selected Derek Stepan. Does that mean it was a bad move?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Again, hindsight is 20-20. Gomez and Drury weren't considered bad players when they were signed. We desperately needed centers and we were one of the better teams in the league the year we lost to Pitt. Let it go, the team we have now is amazing.

The team has been getting younger since the lockout but we still use free agency.
No...they were considered mediocre players not worth the dimes being wasted on them. I'm sure Kel was tickled pink because everything Sather does is amazing...but the rest of us were less than thrilled.

And what am I to let go of? You brought it up with that stupidly broad remark about "most" Ranger fans.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
No...they were considered mediocre players not worth the dimes being wasted on them. I'm sure Kel was tickled pink because everything Sather does is amazing...but the rest of us were less than thrilled.

And what am I to let go of? You brought it up with that stupidly broad remark about "most" Ranger fans.
I don't know if I would go so far as to say they were mediocre players. But they were both paid like elite players something neither of them ever were.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Not everyone. But again, the fact that some fans were jumping for joy does not validate the move a GM makes. As I recall a lot of people were furious when they selected Derek Stepan. Does that mean it was a bad move?
There's a difference between a draft pick and a consensus top free agent center. IIRC Gomez and Drury were regarded as the best two centers in free agency by... everyone, not just Rangers fans.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I don't know if I would go so far as to say they were mediocre players. But they were both paid like elite players something neither of them ever were.
I always thought Gomez was average...as was Drury. With Drury though, you had moments of greatness. Gomez could be slick at times...but I never thought much of him.

Old
nyr199435

Quote:
Well, he didn't. And since all that matters is winning- that must have been the right move. We're great right now.

Agreed. But does that excuse his performance prior to the lockout? The fact is that he came here in 2000. It's now 2012, he's had over a decade, and we're only recently appearing to be serious contenders. In less than 10 years Pittsburgh drafted, developed, and won a Cup. We had a bunch of losing seasons, a firesale, and several seasons of mediocrity and early playoff exits. So we're in first place now, for half a season, after going out with a whimper last season. This is the best thing he has on his record thus far, and it's half a season.

Again, without Jagr or Lundqvist, who I guess you could argue were deliberate moves by Sather, we would still be a perennial bottom feeder. It's undeniable that our drafting has gotten better, but Sather has also gotten lucky. We win a Cup, and all is forgiven. But for now, I'll wait until he has more successes here than he has failures.

nyr199435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stan the caddy

Quote:

Complaining about Sather. He's getting it done now. I used to hate him too, but now it's time to let it go.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Complaining about Sather. He's getting it done now. I used to hate him too, but now it's time to let it go.
Getting what done?

Old
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Getting what done?
Look at the team.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:

all that matters is winning, you're right. since the lockout we've won a total of 2 playoffs series.

and just because we are great in january, doesn't mean its automatically going to carry over into the playoffs. you're right, we're great right now. a lot can happen in between now and april though.

if winning 2 playoff series in 6 full seasons is performing up to expectations for you, then i really dont know what to tell you.

trueblue9441 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:59 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Agreed. But does that excuse his performance prior to the lockout? The fact is that he came here in 2000. It's now 2012, he's had over a decade, and we're only recently appearing to be serious contenders. In less than 10 years Pittsburgh drafted, developed, and won a Cup. We had a bunch of losing seasons, a firesale, and several seasons of mediocrity and early playoff exits. So we're in first place now, for half a season, after going out with a whimper last season. This is the best thing he has on his record thus far, and it's half a season.

Again, without Jagr or Lundqvist, who I guess you could argue were deliberate moves by Sather, we would still be a perennial bottom feeder. It's undeniable that our drafting has gotten better, but Sather has also gotten lucky. We win a Cup, and all is forgiven. But for now, I'll wait until he has more successes here than he has failures.
Sather used to be the laughing stock of the league, he's not anymore.

If Dolan gave you guys the choice of firing Sather tomorrow, would you do it?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Look at the team.
What has this team done?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Only consider the information that was available at the time.
So, your position is that even though the results were utter failure, they did a good job because it looked good on paper at the time? You'd be happy with a perpetually losing team as long as they continue to make moves you agree with?

You apparently don't understand professional sports. People don't keep their jobs based on good intentions.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
That's standard? 12 years later and this is the measuring stick?

Old
01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:

If Dolan gave you guys the choice of firing Sather tomorrow, would you do it?
yes. his team has performed for a half of a season out of 12 seasons. fine by me.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:03 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
There's a difference between a draft pick and a consensus top free agent center. IIRC Gomez and Drury were regarded as the best two centers in free agency by... everyone, not just Rangers fans.
Who gives a ****? The moves didn't work. That's all that matters.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
What has this team done?
First in the league, loaded with young players, great talent in the system, a competent coach, and there's really only one bad contract and it'll be off the books after this season.

He's doing a good job right now. There's no denying that. Yes, he was terrible before the lockout. That doesn't really matter anymore.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Look at the team.
I do...and it's great. But the job isn't finished. Every time the Rangers win a bunch, Kel whips out one of these threads like he's showing us his dick or something. Then they go back to losing and he's nowhere to be found until the euphoria of Sather's off-season brilliance kicks and then he's back. I'm not trying to wrestle semantics with you, but we've been here before. It's 41 games into the season and talk of greatness is, to steal from Torts, complete ********.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
yes. his team has performed for a half of a season out of 12 seasons. fine by me.
Eli Manning was a pretty ****** qb for awhile but he's gotten his **** together in recent years...

Who cares about how bad Sather was? All I care about is how good he is now.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Eli Manning was a pretty ****** qb for awhile but he's gotten his **** together in recent years...

Who cares about how bad Sather was? All I care about is how good he is now.
Eli Manning won a Super Bowl. Bad comparison.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
trueblue9441

Quote:
First in the league, loaded with young players, great talent in the system, a competent coach, and there's really only one bad contract and it'll be off the books after this season.

He's doing a good job right now. There's no denying that. Yes, he was terrible before the lockout. That doesn't really matter anymore.
half of a season stan. one half of one season out of 12 seasons here. that is 1 out of 23 great halves of hockey. thats the point. i agree hes done a much better job, but before we pat him on the ass and say job well done, go smoke another cigar, lets see how the season pans out and next season too.