HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky Is On Detroit's Radar

Old
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I don't think it is overpayment at all it might be a slight under payment.

Kaberle got a good return last year and Penner got a real good return

I remember people saying Penner and Kaberle were worth at best a 4th round pick on these boards
Red Wings could just aquire someone else if Edmonton wants 1st+top prospect. I like Hemsky alot but he aint worth a 1st rounder and a Kindl/Smith etc.

To be honest I would like Detroit to make a bigger trade with a better partner to also aquire depth. Ruuttu + Gleason/Spacek from Carolina would be better and might be cheaper too.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:04 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:

I remember people saying Penner and Kaberle were worth at best a 4th round pick on these boards
I don't think anyone would argue that the Penner trade was not one of the biggest fleecings in recent history, and Kaberle returned a 1st round, a prospect that is not ready for the NHL and a conditional pick.

You are asking a first and an NHL ready DMan, that is outplaying all expectations so far defensively. Kindl should be playing a regular shift right now, and in a year or two should easily be top 4 on DET.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

People on HF said Cogliano wouldnt fetch a 7th rounder. Yet, in the real world a GM though he was worth a 2nd even though he was an unsigned RFA.
Hemsky will fetch a 1st and prospect(quality ?) at the deadline if he's still healthy. I can't see the Oilers wanting to add yet another bottom pairing defenseman like Kindl

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Smoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Noooooo! Seriously, if we give up a good pick or prospect for an often-injured playmaking winger when our top 2 lines are developing fantastic chemistry...

Cmon, Holland wouldn't manage assets that poorly, would he?
We have Jiri Fricken Hudler in our top 6..as long as Holland doesn't give away a 1st round pick or one of our really good prospects I don't mind him taking a risk.

Detroit
Hemsky

Edmonton
Kindl
2nd Round Pick

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
danincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I think our chances of winning it all are the same with or without him. He's not an impact player anymore and we have passers out the wazoo anyway. He would not play in our top 6.

Plus, if we give up somebody like Brendan Smith, we lessen our chances of winning the cup in future years. Or even with a pick, our scouts are red hot right now and I don't want to give them less to work with.
Hemsky is only 28 years old so I don't think anyone can claim he's not what he once was. In the right environment and with some health he could get back to being a PPG player.

I agree Hemsky isn't ideal for the Red Wings because they could really use a power forward type with a big RH shot (Iginla or Doan) but those guys are hard to come by and would cost too much. What Hemsky would give them is a true right winger who is a right handed shot and he has the skillset to fit on that team.

I wouldn't give up Brendan Smith but it would have to involve a 1st or 2nd round pick, a prospect and maybe a depth player off the roster. Other teams are going to bid on Hemsky and the Oilers aren't going to give him away.

I think Hemsky could fit nicely into Detroit's top 6. He would be the only right handed shot in that group and could play either Datsyuk or Zetterberg's line:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi*
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hemsky

or

Franzen-Datsyuk-Hemsky
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler*

* Bertuzzi/Cleary/Hudler all battle for a top 6 spot.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
FlameChampion

Would be in EDM's interest to try and find a buyer before he gets injured (and probably out for rest of the year)

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
Quote:

Penner and Kaberle been two of the most disappointing recent free agents that come to my mind.

I'd say both GMs made mistakes trading for them.

Would you honestly give up a 1st rounder for either player now?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Penner and Kaberle been two of the most disappointing recent free agents that come to my mind.

I'd say both GMs made mistakes trading for them.

Would you honestly give up a 1st rounder for either player now?
Boston won the cup maybe not specifically because of the trade but I would think they would not do anything different.

Hindsight always makes you right that is why there is risk involved but the question Detroit fans and the Detroit management have to make does a 1st and mid prospect going to hurt or improve my chances to win the cup this year? The answer is it isn't going to hurt or improve it either way so moving it makes no difference right now.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
We have Jiri Fricken Hudler in our top 6..as long as Holland doesn't give away a 1st round pick or one of our really good prospects I don't mind him taking a risk.

Detroit
Hemsky

Edmonton
Kindl
2nd Round Pick
Hudler is on pace for 23 goals and 51 points.

Hemsky is on pace for 8 goals and 36 points. (at -8!)

Hemsky would be a great addition but come on, don't act like the guy performing twice as well is fried ****.

GeoSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post

Detroit
Hemsky

Edmonton
Kindl
2nd Round Pick
Jiri Hudler has outplayed Zetterberg all year. And Flip as of late. I'd rather acquire a Ruttu type player to play on the third line since players like Bert and Hudler are not nearly as effective in that third line role.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Smoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hemsky
I like it.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Hemsky will fetch a 1st and prospect(quality ?) at the deadline if he's still healthy. I can't see the Oilers wanting to add yet another bottom pairing defenseman like Kindl
Look, I expect the Oilers to find a desperate/stupid GM to pay a 1st and a prospect for Hemsky. I don't expect that sucker to be Ken Holland.

Did everyone miss this statement from LeBrun?

Quote:
Doesn't mean they'll actually go through with it _ especially not if Edmonton asks for too much _

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Joe Hallenback

Does anyone think Holland cares all that much about draft picks though? Is a late first round pick going to kill a deal on his end of things? I don't think so

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Does anyone think Holland cares all that much about draft picks though? Is a late first round pick going to kill a deal on his end of things? I don't think so
He only cares because he might get a better return for a 1st.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
McArthur

Quote:
last year he traded a 1st rounder to get more 2nd round picks, think they had 3. i'm suprised detroits farm team isn't better than it is considering how many players have been held there over the years. Edmonton needs defense, but so does detroit. I want Abdelkader, what would it take to get him? with hemsky on the block?

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Koto

i'd take something around kindl

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
I want Abdelkader, what would it take to get him? with hemsky on the block?
Abdelkader hasn't developed as hoped. Right now he's being handily outplayed by Drew Miller. Wouldn't take as much as you might think.

Edit: I'm also still pissed off at him for all those needless high-stick penalties in the playoffs last year.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Sure, not if it is that first for Hemsky. But packaging in an NHL-ready DMan with that 1st would kill the deal.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

If healthy this would be a great pickup for Detroit. Hemsky would give them an extra scoring forward.

01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

hemsky not good enough for top-6 spot?

LMAO

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
GeoSacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
hemsky not good enough for top-6 spot?

LMAO
He would compete for a top 6 spot but every player in Detroit's top six right now is out-performing him. He's certainly capable of producing twice as much offense as he is now but if he doesn't do that, he won't even beat out Hudler for a place in the top six. There really is no guarantee that he'd be top six in Detroit.

Edit: Cleary (a bottom-six player) is out-performing him as well and you could argue a case for any of Helm, Miller, and Holmstrom. Not to say that Hemsky couldn't turn things around if he goes to Detroit.

Last edited by GeoSacks: 01-18-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 03:12 PM
ZetterBurger

I can't stand Wings fans sometimes. Abdelkader is playing his role very well. He is developing quite well. If he played on a scoring line he could handle it well. Hudler is playing hockey like he did in '08. He is fine and will be back next year. Ericsson is not as bad as people think. You just look for anything to nit pick out of his game and blow it out of proportion, completely ignoring all the good and solid plays he makes.

I would take Hemsky for draft picks and at the most Kindl. Not a first unless a 3rd comes back.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
GeoSacks

Abdelkader is the best player on the 4th line. With Eaves and Mursak returning he might be the second best player on the 4th line before long (AKA the worst even-strength forward after Holmstrom). Hopefully he can pick up his play by the end of the season but right now he's not very crucial to the Wings' success.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
ponder

Hemsky for Detroit's 1st straight up makes sense. Or maybe not a 1st, possibly more like a 2nd + middling prospect. Hemsky has been craptastic this season, and will very likely be leaving Edmonton after this season anyways, but I could see him doing well in Detroit simply because highly skilled puck possession players tend to do well there. I don't see Edmonton getting more than a late 1st or decent prospect for him, not with his injury concerns, expiring contract, and the season he's having in general.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
I can't stand Wings fans sometimes. Abdelkader is playing his role very well. He is developing quite well. If he played on a scoring line he could handle it well. Hudler is playing hockey like he did in '08. He is fine and will be back next year. Ericsson is not as bad as people think. You just look for anything to nit pick out of his game and blow it out of proportion, completely ignoring all the good and solid plays he makes.

I would take Hemsky for draft picks and at the most Kindl. Not a first unless a 3rd comes back.
I'd probably do Hemsky and a 5th for Kindl and a 1st?

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote