HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather Appreciation Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
stings a lot less with that caveat
But his record still stings

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yeah. We would have been in 1st years ago lol. Clark and Gorton are the biggest reasons for our success this year. If you think otherwise, it's only because you are willfully naive.

I still want to know what it is that Sather has on you to make you such a blind-faith cheerleader.
Who hires those guys? Who do they report to? Glen Sather. And Glen Sather.

I want to know why some of you seem to root for your own stupid predictions you made years ago and had no business, no qualifications for making in the first place, rather than the Rangers?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Bingo. I won't give Sather any credit until we win a Cup. It seems more to me that he tried to buy a team first, and only moved toward drafting/developing players when his All-Star rosters failed him. He shouldn't get credit for throwing everything at the wall and having something stick. The only credit I'll give him are for the trades (with the exception of the Leetch one, although that did result in Michael Suaer) and for the hiring of Gordie Clarke and Jeff Gorton. But he's been very unwise with the checkbook, and each new free agency I feel like I'm putting my head under the guillotine and waiting for the blade to drop. I mean, after Chara left Redden's numbers took a serious dip. And then he got hurt for half a season. What about that says offer him near $7 mil a year in a salary cap league?

I get the Gomez and Drury thing. We needed centers, and nobody could have foretold that they would have been that bad. And I give him credit for landing us McDonagh (and indirectly Prust) from the Gomez deal. But again, until this team wins a Cup, he is not forgiven. He's still got way too many failures to his name in New York. If it weren't for Jagr and Lundqvist, his track record would be even worse. Any other GM would have been fired 10 times over.
Really man? I mean guess no one can be as perfect as you.... Sather n Co have been fantastic drafting. A few bad sigings and draft picks but that happens everywhere. He has built a good team and with some really good young picks.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
McRanger

The Rangers could win the cup this year and people would still despise Sather. Any success the team has will be credited to anyone and everyone else, as you can already see happening.

He was a terrible GM his first few years and he comes off as a pompous ass. He is NEVER going to be liked. At least on this board.

So I do not understand why people start these threads. This has been a great season and all this does is rehash old grudges and start pissing contests.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Looking at the record is not revisionist history. You are your record. Look at Sather's record over the last 12 years. Even Stan the Caddy agrees it's bad.
I'm not going to bother trying to explain what revisionist history is. Google it. It's also not universally thought of as a bad thing, it only has that connotation among, frankly, uneducated people.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The Rangers could win the cup this year and people would still despise Sather. Any success the team has will be credited to anyone and everyone else, as you can already see happening.

He was a terrible GM his first few years and he comes off as a pompous ass. He is NEVER going to be liked. At least on this board.

So I do not understand why people start these threads. This has been a great season and all this does is rehash old grudges and start pissing contests.
TOTALLY agree

Old
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:

I want to know why some of you seem to root for your own stupid predictions you made years ago and had no business, no qualifications for making in the first place, rather than the Rangers?
i for one know that im not rooting for anyone but the rangers.. all im trying to say is i want to see how this plays out for a full season before i give him a pat on the back. one half season is a pretty small sample size.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
What myth did I perpetuate?

1. Were Drury and Gomez regarded as the two best centers in free agency - YES

2. Did we desperately need help at center - YES
What myths did you perpetuate? The fact that Scott Gomez "wasn't a bad player," for starters.

First of all, Briere is and was better than both Gomez and Drury by a decent amount (and I can't stand Briere). Second of all, why did we desperately need help at center? Was this a cup contending team? Were Scott Gomez and Chris Drury going to turn the team into a cup contender? What we desperately needed was to not jeopardize the half-assed rebuilding process we had going on by tying ourselves down to HIGHLY overpaid role players.

"We had them both ranked as number one centers," Sather said at the time. Good call, genius and friends.

Even if it fortuitously worked out in the end, by signing Gomez, Redden, and Drury, that's exactly what Sather did: almost destroy this process before it finished. What if Bob Gainey didn't agree to one of the stupidest, most lopsided trades in NHL history? Where is this team today?

Not only did Sather endanger this delicate and lengthy process, but it gave Dolan the opportunity to raise ticket prices while we had to watch absolute garbage hockey for 4 years.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
i for one know that im not rooting for anyone but the rangers.. all im trying to say is i want to see how this plays out for a full season before i give him a pat on the back. one half season is a pretty small sample size.
I'm going to hold you to that

Old
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

Old
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
I'm going to hold you to that
fine by me, just would like a larger sample size before i give him the benefit of the doubt

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
fine by me, just would like a larger sample size before i give him the benefit of the doubt
That's what I said in Kel's last Glen Sather Appreciation Festival. Win two playoff series this Spring and I will give him credit.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:58 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

I root for the Rangers unequivocally. But that doesn't mean I'm going to blindly support Sather or that I'm going to trust him. The lack of success this team has had, coupled with some of the major blunders he has made, would have gotten him fired anywhere else.

I look forward to the day when he is gone. He managed to hire competent people. Good for him. Now get the hell out of the way and let them run the team.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Pizza

Quote:

I've said this before but if we're lucky we'll have the opportunity and joy to watch that clock ticking down on ultimate victory. If that happens I can assure everyone that there will be people still gnashing their teeth over Sather and his cigar chomping arrogance.

It's funny to me that people will choose to worry that bone forever.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Ask Kel Varnsen. He starts them all. He must be related to Sather somehow. I can't think of any other reason why someone would go to such lengths to defend him.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
What myths did you perpetuate? The fact that Scott Gomez "wasn't a bad player," for starters.

First of all, Briere is and was better than both Gomez and Drury by a decent amount (and I can't stand Briere). Second of all, why did we desperately need help at center? Was this a cup contending team? Were Scott Gomez and Chris Drury going to turn the team into a cup contender? What we desperately needed was to not jeopardize the half-assed rebuilding process we had going on by tying ourselves down to HIGHLY overpaid role players.

"We had them both ranked as number one centers," Sather said at the time. Good call, genius and friends.

Even if it fortuitously worked out in the end, by signing Gomez, Redden, and Drury, that's exactly what Sather did: almost destroy this process before it finished. What if Bob Gainey didn't agree to one of the stupidest, most lopsided trades in NHL history? Where is this team today?

Not only did Sather endanger this delicate and lengthy process, but it gave Dolan the opportunity to raise ticket prices while we had to watch absolute garbage hockey for 4 years.
We were damn close to it at that time.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Ask Kel Varnsen. He starts them all. He must be related to Sather somehow. I can't think of any other reason why someone would go to such lengths to defend him.
And these type of threads just invite the vitriol against Sather that would remain dormant during what thus far has been a winning season. Perhaps Kel really hates Sather and wants to incite his critics.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:08 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Stan asked what there is to complain about. What, you don't think we could use more scoring?

We're 10th at 2.8, a number that has been going down since the start of the season. Look up and you'll see boston is just as good defensively and way ahead of us offensively. So is Detroit.

I'm not saying we can't beat those teams, but more offense would certainly help.
This is a defensive team. Being 10th in scoring the way we play is actually pretty damn impressive.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I'm not going to bother trying to explain what revisionist history is. Google it. It's also not universally thought of as a bad thing, it only has that connotation among, frankly, uneducated people.
The problem is that you think that just because something seemed like a good idea at the time, that it can be excused for not working out as planned. Doesn't work that way. As I've said many times, they get paid to be right.

The only thing that matters in professional sports is winning. Can you honestly claim that the Rangers have won enough during Sather's tenure to justify him keeping his job?

If the Giants win the Super Bowl, no one is going to care that they went 9-7 during the season and looked like crap for a 6 game stretch. No one is going to care what moves worked and didn't work to get them to that point. All they will care about is whether they won or lost. That is the goal.

Sather hasn't gotten close to that goal yet. Wake me when he does.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
We were damn close to it at that time.
That is utterly preposterous. And even if we had been "damn close" to being a cup contender, which we most certainly were not, the notion that signing Gomez and Drury would have made us one is and was equally nonsensical.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
stan the caddy

There's one thing worth complaining about - the power play. Blame the guy that runs the power play because it's ugly. Other than that, the teams great.

I used to chant, "fire Sather", too. I don't now.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
How about we win a cup before we start bowing down to Sather? This all means nothing if we fall flat on our faces in the playoffs.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
This is a defensive team. Being 10th in scoring the way we play is actually pretty damn impressive.
I guess you missed the part where I said our goals per game has been going down since the start of the season. We were up over 3 goals per game at one point. We're at 2.8 per game now. Which means we're actually scoring less than 2.8 per game.

It's only our defense that's keeping us in the win column. You can bet your life savings that Sather is going to pursue more scoring at the trade deadline.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
That is utterly preposterous. And even if we had been "damn close" to being a cup contender, which we most certainly were not, the notion that signing Gomez and Drury would have made us one is and was equally nonsensical.
We were one of the favorites for the cup the year after we made those signings. Those were predictions made by non-biased members of the media. I was in PA at the time and I know we scared the crap out of the Pens fans going into that series. That was a pretty damn good team.

Lots and lots of people thought that Drury and Gomez made us cup contenders at the time. That's a fact.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I quoted that part in the OP. The part that indicates otherwise is the specific Schonfeld quote, “Glen finally convinced everyone that that’s the way to go. He kind of wanted to start from scratch when he first came to New York.
Schoenfeld's quote is too ambiguous to make the assumption that Sather always wanted to rebuild. "Kind of wanted to start from scratch"... Schoeny seems unsure of himself. As he should, because he didn't even join the organization until the 2002-03 season when Sather's pre-lockout "philosophy" was already implemented. Schoeny's quote reeks of revisionist history.

Sather's actions and intentions belies the assertion that he wanted to rebuild from day one. He came to New York because of autonomy and the endless amounts of money to throw at free agents:

Quote:
The deal, believed to be for five years at approximately $3 million per plus lucrative stock options, is expected to give Sather a level of autonomous control over hockey matters unprecedented for a Rangers GM.

Sather also takes over stewardship of one of the league's flagship franchises and its unlimited resources after 21 years at the helm of the Edmonton Oilers, the last 10 or so spent operating with one of the most restrictive budgets in the NHL.

"Time will tell how it's going to work," said Edmonton assistant coach and former Ranger Craig MacTavish. "But he's probably the top name GM in hockey and I think New York's always been a big-name city. He's their guy.

"I think it's a perfect relationship right now with Glen going in there. He's going from a team with a limited budget to one with an unlimited budget. That will be the most interesting thing, to see what moves he makes with their hockey club."
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2000...es-glen-sather

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote