HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#47: KINGS @ CANUCKS 1/17/’11, PostGame VICTORY Thoughts & Tidbits

Old
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Kingjordan

vCash: 500
Everyone see the guy with this shirt on after the game> Clifford had the big smile when we saw it.

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:34 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2011....6&section=tied

Kings up to 6th in the league in overall puck possession/control time.

6th!

This is my favorite Sutter stat not getting enough press. The Kings were in the lower 3rd in the league when Sutter took over. To go from 20-something to 6th in a month is remarkable.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

One guy who needs some love is Kyle Clifford. I think Sutter may have had the biggest effect on Clifford. He's been nothing short of awesome the past several games. Skating hard, hitting hard, creating chances. even scored a beautiful goal vs Washington and almost got another beauty last night.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:21 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

After last night, 92 points would get the Kings the #7 seed (and a likely first-round matchup with the Sharks depending on the tiebreaker between them and the Red Wings). That translates to 37 points in 35 games, or a record of 18-16-1, a percentage of .529. They're currently on pace for 96 points, which would still be the #7 seed.

To win the Pacific (and coincidentally the West), 110 points are needed, for a record of 27-7-1.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

I guess I can't blame some of you for getting prepared for the worst but some of the posts in the GDT really made me sick. I was a little nervous just like the rest of you but the negative garbage about how this team was ready to meltdown and how we were going to choke this game away really frustrated me. I can't tell you how good it made me feel to see Jonathan Quick and the Kings shut down that big Vancouver push in the 3rd period and shut some of your mouths.

This team has shown NOTHING to us over the last 10 games that they are ready to meltdown when the going gets tough. Some of you still are unwilling to bet on our goaltender in the 3rd period and enough is enough.

I'm not saying that I wasn't a little nervous there in the 3rd but GEEZ c'mon people and have a little faith.

Other than that, go Kings!

PS Williams was a BEAST last night.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

6th!

This is my favorite Sutter stat not getting enough press. The Kings were in the lower 3rd in the league when Sutter took over. To go from 20-something to 6th in a month is remarkable.
The biggest thing people said about the Flames...

they were a TOUGH team to play against. Very difficult. Granted not the most skilled team but they wore you down.

I couldn't help notice last night...Vancouver is a much more skilled team then us...but man did we take it to em and out work em. Thinking about a couple shifts where Sutter had Richardson - Lewy - Lokti out against the Sedins and Burrows and kept the puck in the Vancouver zone for a solid 45 seconds...just makes me happy.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
After last night, 92 points would get the Kings the #7 seed (and a likely first-round matchup with the Sharks depending on the tiebreaker between them and the Red Wings). That translates to 37 points in 35 games, or a record of 18-16-1, a percentage of .529. They're currently on pace for 96 points, which would still be the #7 seed.

To win the Pacific (and coincidentally the West), 110 points are needed, for a record of 27-7-1.
You guys keep throwing these numbers around but I pay little attention to them. We still have a ton of games against divisional opponents and as long as we take care of business with them and make sure to crush the Sharks the pacific should be winnable with less points than this.

The Sharks are hot right now but SOOO much can happen between now and the remainder of the season.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post

6th!

Thanks for posting this. The puck possession time is definitely the most notable improvement with the change in coaches. The Kings no longer turn the puck over and sit back and wait to defend the other team in their own zone. Now they hunt the puck as soon as they lose it. Makes a huge difference.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:10 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
One guy who needs some love is Kyle Clifford. I think Sutter may have had the biggest effect on Clifford. He's been nothing short of awesome the past several games. Skating hard, hitting hard, creating chances. even scored a beautiful goal vs Washington and almost got another beauty last night.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
****ing amazing.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I couldn't help notice last night...Vancouver is a much more skilled team then us...but man did we take it to em and out work em. Thinking about a couple shifts where Sutter had Richardson - Lewy - Lokti out against the Sedins and Burrows and kept the puck in the Vancouver zone for a solid 45 seconds...just makes me happy.
I was listening to the radio feed and I was impressed with how the Kings had control of the play for large stretches. Nick was only calling Kings players it seemed because they had the puck or were making plays - particularly in the 1st period. It was a Kings fest.

Certainly deserved 2 points in regulation but vs. Vancouver in their barn that isn't easy.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

1 thing i love about our 3rd line, is that its 3 young players, none of which are big tough guys, yet all 3 of them somehow always end up getting into tussles around the opposition goalies. More so than the other lines, they will give the opposing goalie a little whack after the play or something and cause a huddle

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

We have Sharks home/home for the last two games of the season. An 8 point swing up for grabs. There's certainly a possibility that the Pacific division title could be on the line when the time comes to play those games.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I guess I can't blame some of you for getting prepared for the worst but some of the posts in the GDT really made me sick. I was a little nervous just like the rest of you but the negative garbage about how this team was ready to meltdown and how we were going to choke this game away really frustrated me. I can't tell you how good it made me feel to see Jonathan Quick and the Kings shut down that big Vancouver push in the 3rd period and shut some of your mouths.

This team has shown NOTHING to us over the last 10 games that they are ready to meltdown when the going gets tough. Some of you still are unwilling to bet on our goaltender in the 3rd period and enough is enough.

I'm not saying that I wasn't a little nervous there in the 3rd but GEEZ c'mon people and have a little faith.

Here here!

This board isn't as bad as it was, but there are a lot of negative nancy's around. It bugs me too.

Funny how PSP had to go do some work where there's little/no internet at the same time LA started going 9-1-6.

Go Kings!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:

That was mainly one person being incredibly negative last night. I think most people were nervous and cautiously optimistic.

Quote:
That is ****ing awesome.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:

6th!
That's the best stat yet! I think the biggest difference I've seen in puck possesson is the amount of time the 3rd and 4th lines are spending in the offensive zone. Even tho they aren't scoring, they are getting chances and eating up minutes.

Sutter continues to impress.

Hopefully DL gets Kopi a winger...and Penner continues to improve his game and hopefully, he and Richards get some timing down.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:11 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

While we weren't dominant over the casucks, we were very good at limiting the amount of time their skilled players had to do anything with the puck and more importantly we limited the amount of rebounds for them to capitalize on.

There were several reasons why we were and have been so successful under DS but the biggest reason from what I am seeing is that we are no longer playing "safe" hockey and are now playing "system first press second" hockey. When I was being coached by the Killer he always said that the system that you play is your fallback for when things get close. Start a game with the system and then once you have a feel for your opponent you open things up a little bit more as time goes on.

That is where you find a balanced approach to your game and in my opinion it is how a team wins a championship too. You play the system that coaches have drilled into you as the foundation of your game and then you look for opportunities to be creative. An extra well placed and executed check here an there. Carrying the puck into the zone once you find out where your opponent is weakest on the rush once in awhile.

The thing is knowing that you can always return to the system (which in our case is shutdown D style which is exactly what Killer taught us.) on the fly and still be capable of being dangerous when needed.

This is where Terry Murray had failed. Under his direction we were only capable of playing one way. Now at 15 games we can see what a coach who truly believes in playing a balanced game with a leaning towards staying within your defencive responsibilities is capable of.

Anything can happen and I can't imagine our keeping this sort of a pace up forever but our team, while still needing a little time and work to get things perfect (and a speed sniper LW would make things easier) we look like a contender once again.

GREAT WORK BOYS!!!

GOD I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!

(always have, always will)

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Here here!

This board isn't as bad as it was, but there are a lot of negative nancy's around. It bugs me too.

Funny how PSP had to go do some work where there's little/no internet at the same time LA started going 9-1-6.

Go Kings!
To be honest, PSP doesn't grate on me the same way other posters do. I feel like alot of his comments have some shred of credibility and evidence to back himself up. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of a time where in the middle the 3rd period he's telling all of us that the Kings are destined to fail. I'd like to believe that he's a more responsible and enlightened contributor to this board than that.

There were a few games there at the end of the Murray era where I felt myself not caring as much about this team but I think that Sutter has brought something to certainly be optimistic about. Most people who follow the NHL closely know this.

But still we have people complaining about a 8-1-6 record. Yes, we all know the 6 is an OVERTIME loss but the fact remains that no team has walked through us since the Detroit game and I doubt the Wings could have played that same game last night.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Holy $%&^ this is so cool!

If we could just throw in a beautiful woman and something drum/percussion related it will combine my 4 favorite things into one picture!

Old
01-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Holy $%&^ this is so cool!

If we could just throw in a beautiful woman and something drum/percussion related it will combine my 4 favorite things into one picture!
What you mean is it is missing Heidi Androl in Princess Leia garb

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
What you mean is it is missing Heidi Androl in Princess Leia garb
HAHA! Yes!

But seriously. Let's throw in a drum kit too.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
To be honest, PSP doesn't grate on me the same way other posters do. I feel like alot of his comments have some shred of credibility and evidence to back himself up. Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of a time where in the middle the 3rd period he's telling all of us that the Kings are destined to fail. I'd like to believe that he's a more responsible and enlightened contributor to this board than that.

There were a few games there at the end of the Murray era where I felt myself not caring as much about this team but I think that Sutter has brought something to certainly be optimistic about. Most people who follow the NHL closely know this.

But still we have people complaining about a 8-1-6 record. Yes, we all know the 6 is an OVERTIME loss but the fact remains that no team has walked through us since the Detroit game and I doubt the Wings could have played that same game last night.
That's exactly how I was feeling. A game would be on, but I really wouldn't pay attention, the game was just on in the background while I did other things.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
That nickname would make sense if his name was John Jackson.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
That's exactly how I was feeling. A game would be on, but I really wouldn't pay attention, the game was just on in the background while I did other things.
same for me i would tune in then tune out after the second.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:02 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
same for me i would tune in then tune out after the second.
I would sit my butt on the couch and watch every game, but there was a lot less cheering and a lot more shouting. I get much more excited watching Kings games now, especially when they play like they did in the first period last night.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote