HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Sather Appreciation Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Vito Andolini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Even if it fortuitously worked out in the end, by signing Gomez, Redden, and Drury, that's exactly what Sather did: almost destroy this process before it finished. What if Bob Gainey didn't agree to one of the stupidest, most lopsided trades in NHL history? Where is this team today?

Not only did Sather endanger this delicate and lengthy process, but it gave Dolan the opportunity to raise ticket prices while we had to watch absolute garbage hockey for 4 years.
This is a point that gets swept under the rug way to easily around here. People acknowledge that Sather stunk pre lockout and ran the club into the ground, but what they don't seem to recall is the ugly realization that was sinking in after the 08-09 season when we had to come to grips with that fact that $21M had been invested long term in Drury, Gomez & Redden.

Luck & luck alone got us out of it. If we do win a cup sometime in the near future, Gainey deserves a lot of praise.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The funniest part about it is Glen's own quote about how successful he would be if he had the money the Rangers had should more or less tell you exactly what his initial plans were. Please don't forget, that once Messier and Gretzky (you know, who he never drafted) were gone, the Oilers did nothing from 1991-1999, particularly when it comes to the draft.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Levitate

Eh, it's not luck to know how to trade. I can't think of a Sather trade that was truly lopsided against him...maybe the Lindros trade but Johansson was the only guy from that who panned out well and I think he developed in Philly better than he would have in NY

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Ask Kel Varnsen. He starts them all. He must be related to Sather somehow. I can't think of any other reason why someone would go to such lengths to defend him.
Because I think the biggest black eye for this fanbase is that more of you couldn't see what I saw coming for years now. You let your hate get the best of you, and I'd like to help you through that.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
This is a point that gets swept under the rug way to easily around here. People acknowledge that Sather stunk pre lockout and ran the club into the ground, but what they don't seem to recall is the ugly realization that was sinking in after the 08-09 season when we had to come to grips with that fact that $21M had been invested long term in Drury, Gomez & Redden.

Luck & luck alone got us out of it. If we do win a cup sometime in the near future, Gainey deserves a lot of praise.

You know what? Those signings haven't slowed down the youth movement at all. We've never had to trade away a promising young player because of those contracts. In fact, we netted one in return.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post

Total and complete luck! Gainey doesn't even make that trade if Brian Gionta doesn't happen to be a UFA that summer, and if he doesn't happen to be the "biggest" UFA actually willing to sign in Montreal. Then we're not only stuck with Gomez, and it's not as if we can bury Redden AND Gomez in the minors, we don't have McDonagh, and who knows about Gaborik, much less Richards (who we don't have if the Dallas Stars ownership situation didn't "luckily" turn into a mess the year he was up for free agency).

Old
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Lots and lots of people thought that Drury and Gomez made us cup contenders at the time. That's a fact.
But they didn't make us contenders. Therefore signing them was a mistake. That's also a fact.

Everyone thought Buffalo would be good this year after the offseason they had. Would you rather have their team right now? Again, only the results matter.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Total and complete luck! Gainey doesn't even make that trade if Brian Gionta doesn't happen to be a UFA that summer, and if he doesn't happen to be the "biggest" UFA actually willing to sign in Montreal. Then we're not only stuck with Gomez, and it's not as if we can bury Redden AND Gomez in the minors, we don't have McDonagh, and who knows about Gaborik, much less Richards (who we don't have if the Dallas Stars ownership situation didn't "luckily" turn into a mess the year he was up for free agency).
Oh that's garbage. Habs fans have repeated that "Gainey needed Gomez to entice Gionta and Cammaleri!" line so much now they've got other people believing it. It's complete bunk, the Habs had to pay more than anyone else was offering to get those players, and that's the only reason they got them.

Gainey wanted a #1 center, and that's what Sather managed to convince him Gomez was. It was 100% about the Habs needing a center and Sather working out a good trade, and things like that happen all the time in the NHL. Gomez still had enough cred back then that another team might have even stepped up if Montreal didn't, though perhaps the return wouldn't have been as good.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
So everything that works out for Sather is "luck" and everything that doesn't is Sather being bad at his job. Sounds like someone who knows he's wrong but is bitterly clinging to anything so he doesn't have to admit it. You're the John McCain of this debate.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
But they didn't make us contenders. Therefore signing them was a mistake. That's also a fact.

Everyone thought Buffalo would be good this year after the offseason they had. Would you rather have their team right now? Again, only the results matter.

I said we were pretty damn close to being contenders... and we were. We had money to spend so we spent it.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Because I think the biggest black eye for this fanbase is that more of you couldn't see what I saw coming for years now. You let your hate get the best of you, and I'd like to help you through that.
No, you're obviously a troll who only posts these threads to stir up the fan base. I doubt you even are a Rangers fan. I never see you posting anything that isn't Sather related.

And what, you think you're the only person who didn't have high hopes for our prospect pool? Get over yourself. Doesn't mean Sather deserves to still have a job.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Oh that's garbage. Habs fans have repeated that "Gainey needed Gomez to entice Gionta and Cammaleri!" line so much now they've got other people believing it. It's complete bunk, the Habs had to pay more than anyone else was offering to get those players, and that's the only reason they got them.

Gainey wanted a #1 center, and that's what Sather managed to convince him Gomez was. It was 100% about the Habs needing a center and Sather working out a good trade, and things like that happen all the time in the NHL. Gomez still had enough cred back then that another team might have even stepped up if Montreal didn't, though perhaps the return wouldn't have been as good.
Totally unfounded assumption after totally unfounded assumption, and I didn't say that Montreal got Gomez so that they would get Gionta. I said that they got Gomez because they had signed Gionta.

How do you know that Sather convinced Gainey of anything? How do you know it wasn't just Gainey being desperate, or simply not thinking clearly about his job after his daugher's bizarre and unfortunate death?

Gainey did want a #1 center, but getting Gionta gave him reason (stupidly) to think that Gomez might be a worthy gamble. Where do trades like that (with a highly overpaid player with a plethora of black marks against him and a lot of term and money left on his deal) happen all the time? Saying that another team would have traded for him, is, again, a total assumption.

Everything about that entire situation is total chance, and if those chance events don't occur, this team is likely still stuck with Scott Gomez on it's team, his cap hit, and without a bunch of very important pieces that have propelled this team to such good showings of late.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I agree with GAGLINE. This is definitely a trolling thread.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
i think the gomez trade was the beginning of the turn around for slats for sure. that move alone was a domino effect of good things happening. that was a good trade, dont think it was luck either. sather did a good job there

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
I said we were pretty damn close to being contenders... and we were. We had money to spend so we spent it.
We made it to the 2nd round and haven't gotten back there since. We haven't finished higher than 5th in the conference since then either. I'm sorry, but a team that can't even earn home-ice advantage for a single round during the playoffs isn't a legitimate cup contender.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:39 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Totally unfounded assumption after totally unfounded assumption, and I didn't say that Montreal got Gomez so that they would get Gionta. I said that they got Gomez because they had signed Gionta.

How do you know that Sather convinced Gainey of anything? How do you know it wasn't just Gainey being desperate, or simply not thinking clearly about his job after his daugher's bizarre and unfortunate death?

Gainey did want a #1 center, but getting Gionta gave him reason (stupidly) to think that Gomez might be a worthy gamble. Where do trades like that (with a highly overpaid player with a plethora of black marks against him and a lot of term and money left on his deal) happen all the time? Saying that another team would have traded for him, is, again, a total assumption.

Everything about that entire situation is total chance, and if those chance events don't occur, this team is likely still stuck with Scott Gomez on it's team, his cap hit, and without a bunch of very important pieces that have propelled this team to such good showings of late.
Gomez had some value back then. He was 10x the player he is now. In fact, Gomez really wasn't that bad for us. He averaged 64 points in a Rangers uniform.

How about instead of chalking it up as luck, you give Sather some credit for unloading him when he did.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post

Habs fans have basically been saying it since day 1. And most people have bought it since then because the trade is so ridiculously lopsided that people can't even being to comprehend what else Gainey could have been thinking.

Also, show me what other trades happen where teams trade a top prospect & a useful role player like Higgins for someone that is effectively a 15 goal scorer making over $7M for the next 5 years or so.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:40 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
We made it to the 2nd round and haven't gotten back there since. We haven't finished higher than 5th in the conference since then either. I'm sorry, but a team that can't even earn home-ice advantage for a single round during the playoffs isn't a legitimate cup contender.
Once again I'll remind you that I didn't say we were cup contenders. I SAID WE WERE CLOSE TO IT. Which we were while Jagr was still on the team.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I agree with GAGLINE. This is definitely a trolling thread.
Yeah going onto a rangers board and posting about liking the rangers gm is trolling. The fact that that could even be suggested is sad. You haters are in the minority at this point. Don't come into an appreciation thread if you're not appreciative at all.

Old
MessierIsGod

What I don't get is how Neil Smith never got another GM job after winning the Cup (and I'm not counting the 20 minutes or so when he shared the job with Snow) while Slats survived 7 years of not making the playoffs.

If we ever win the Cup under Slats, Dolan will probably retire his number (don't worry - they'll give him one so Dolan can retire one; and Dolan will present him with a plane and all sorts of hunting or fishing gears for his time in Baanf).

MessierIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Lots of Rangers fans look at the 2006-07 team as if it was a piece or two from winning the cup and it wasn't.

That team was out of a playoff spot in February. They fought tooth and nail to make the playoffs and clinched the 7th seed during the second to last game of the season. Most Rangers fans (and neutral fans) were legitimately surprised when the Rangers swept the Thrashers and then pushed the Sabres to 6 games. They went on a nice little run. But were they considered cup contenders going into the 2007 offseason? Certainly not.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
No, you're obviously a troll who only posts these threads to stir up the fan base. I doubt you even are a Rangers fan. I never see you posting anything that isn't Sather related.

And what, you think you're the only person who didn't have high hopes for our prospect pool? Get over yourself. Doesn't mean Sather deserves to still have a job.
The guy who hates the guy putting together the rangers is a rangers fan while the guy who actually likes the team isn't. go **** yourself you pompous ass.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Lots of Rangers fans look at the 2006-07 team as if it was a piece or two from winning the cup and it wasn't.

That team was out of a playoff spot in February. They fought tooth and nail to make the playoffs and clinched the 7th seed during the second to last game of the season. Most Rangers fans (and neutral fans) were legitimately surprised when the Rangers swept the Thrashers and then pushed the Sabres to 6 games. They went on a nice little run. But were they considered cup contenders going into the 2007 offseason? Certainly not.
They were hoping to be coming out of it. I think that's the point. They showed they were better than expected the previous year, and they thought they could possibly get over the hump the next.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
stan the caddy

Gomez completely fell off the face of the earth. Anyone that tells you they could predict that kind of decline is full of it. Considering Sather got a couple of decent seasons out of him and traded him for McDonagh, there's absolutely nothing to complain about.

You can complain about the Redden signing. That was truly terrible but even good GM's have bad contracts on the books. Regardless, those three contracts are all in the past and Sather's done a damn good job of assembling the current team.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:50 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

They were after they acquired Drury and Gomez, lol.