HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL Part XXIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
TB wins it!
So glad they won.

Old
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Not to beat this to death, but more on Marty (from the Puck Daddy himself, Greg Wyshynski):

Quote:
"There was a time when I couldn't picture a Devils roster without Marty Brodeur; now, with him on it, I see the franchise hopelessly tethered to a history it can't match."
Quote:
"To play Devils' advocate for a moment (har-dee-har), Brodeur makes $5 million this season. While that's already a hometown discount, it's hard to imagine the Devils paying anything near that (or over it) for a 41-year-old's swan song season. Yes, they'll have oodles of cap space next year even if they resign Zach Parise (a miracle on ice, it's increasingly sounding like); but will Brodeur take a discount on a discount to stay?"
Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...YoxTD2w957vLYF

Old
01-18-2012, 01:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's pretty enjoyable watching Marty's play wither away. No argument there. But it isn't as sweet as a lot of people here thought it was going to be. This summer, much of the talk around here was how the Debbies were done. Kovalchuk was going to bury them. Time to rock out all over their graves. We all know the drill.

Meanwhile, they lost one of their most important players, and the best center on what had been a very weak team down the middle for a couple of months. Yet here they are, looking pretty likely to make the playoffs, despite Brodeur playing like crap half the time. Kovalchuk has 19 goals now.

They lucked out that the Penguins were hit so hard by injuries, but right now, they're both playoff teams. Jersey is better than Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa Bay, and Toronto. Not the best team, but they're certainly not done.

They have a solid team and they'll only get better when Marty calls it quits, Larsson continues to develop, and some of their other prospects join the big club. They'll have cap space to make stuff happen, too. I hope Parise doesn't leave NJ. They'll be fine if he stays. If he leaves, then they have an issue. I'd like to see them be competitive for the sake of a rivalry, and I think they will be. I doubt Parise will find anymore success with the Minnesota Wild, his supposed preferred destination, than he would with the Devils.

The lesson is don't bet against Lou. They haven't done too badly in recent years. Marty is hanging on longer than he probably should be, but it's not as if this team didn't allow that to happen (for far longer) with the crying man.

Kovalchuk is pretty damn good, but even if you think that's a strike against the Devils, Lou was Donnie Walsh'd into that one.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
Hall's face getting stepped is certainly cringe worthy, unreal freak accident.
Just read about this, 30 stitches from getting stepped on by his own team mate, ugh!
Perhaps an idea to start wearing helmets at warm up?

Old
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
It's pretty enjoyable watching Marty's play wither away. No argument there. But it isn't as sweet as a lot of people here thought it was going to be. This summer, much of the talk around here was how the Debbies were done. Kovalchuk was going to bury them. Time to rock out all over their graves. We all know the drill.

Meanwhile, they lost one of their most important players, and the best center on what had been a very weak team down the middle for a couple of months. Yet here they are, looking pretty likely to make the playoffs, despite Brodeur playing like crap half the time. Kovalchuk has 19 goals now.

They lucked out that the Penguins were hit so hard by injuries, but right now, they're both playoff teams. Jersey is better than Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa Bay, and Toronto. Not the best team, but they're certainly not done.

They have a solid team and they'll only get better when Marty calls it quits, Larsson continues to develop, and some of their other prospects join the big club. They'll have cap space to make stuff happen, too. I hope Parise doesn't leave NJ. They'll be fine if he stays. If he leaves, then they have an issue. I'd like to see them be competitive for the sake of a rivalry, and I think they will be. I doubt Parise will find anymore success with the Minnesota Wild, his supposed preferred destination, than he would with the Devils.

The lesson is don't bet against Lou. They haven't done too badly in recent years. Marty is hanging on longer than he probably should be, but it's not as if this team didn't allow that to happen (for far longer) with the crying man.

Kovalchuk is pretty damn good, but even if you think that's a strike against the Devils, Lou was Donnie Walsh'd into that one.
They have 18 ROW's and are on a roll against a bunch of teams even worse then them.

Don't count them out? Sure. Are they good? No.

The last GOOD team they beat were the Stars, 15 games ago. Pittsburgh is ravaged by industries, but if you want to count them i'll accept that, but then that's 2 good teams they've beaten in 15 games for 3 wins against good teams. They've had a cupcake soft schedule for a while now, and while they're beating teams they should be they're not a legitimate team by any stretch.

The East is very weak this year sans us, the Bruins and the Flyers. (I think Ottawa is a house of cards waiting to collapse.)

Old
01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
They have 18 ROW's and are on a roll against a bunch of teams even worse then them.

The last GOOD team they beat were the Stars, 15 games ago. Pittsburgh is ravaged by industries, but if you want to count them i'll accept that, but then that's 2 good teams they've beaten in 15 games for 3 wins against good teams. They've had a cupcake soft schedule for a while now, and while they're beating teams they should be they're not a legitimate team by any stretch.

The East is very weak this year sans us, the Bruins and the Flyers. (I think Ottawa is a house of cards waiting to collapse.)
Classic !

Devs are better once they acquired Foster, but that backline, like many in the NHL right now, needs at least one more vet that can log minutes and move the puck.

Luckily for the non playoff teams, this year is a good sellers market.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Well, the East is pretty much always very weak. When was the last time there were more than 3-4 teams who had any sort of chance? There are as many contenders in the Central Division, if not more, than there are in the Eastern Conference, thanks to the injuries the Pens have suffered.

I'm not anointing the Devils cup contenders. But if they keep Parise, they'll be a playoff team every year as they navigate their own retooling. They'll need to replace the goaltender (not a difficult task), and they'll need to upgrade their blueline (more difficult). Those elements, however, are easier to find than top offense, which they have. So many here were proclaiming them as finished. I don't see that.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Devils won't fair well in the post season with their goaltending situation and less than desirable defense.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Devils won't fair well in the post season with their goaltending situation and less than desirable defense.
I think they have a late season collapse and miss the playoffs by a point or two. I see Tampa and toronto making it over them.

My prediction:

1. Boston
2. Rangers
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. Ottawa
6. Pittsburgh
7. Tampa Bay
8. Toronto

New jersey
Winnipeg
Florida
Buffalo
Montreal
Islanders
Carolina

Old
01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I think they have a late season collapse and miss the playoffs by a point or two. I see Tampa and toronto making it over them.

My prediction:

1. Boston
2. Rangers
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. Ottawa
6. Pittsburgh
7. Tampa Bay
8. Toronto

New jersey
Winnipeg
Florida
Buffalo
Montreal
Islanders
Carolina
I'm surprised you put Tampa in there. Sure, they have the offense, but their defense and goaltending have been horrendous. They are dead last in the league in goals against. Their defense is waaaay to soft, gives up too many quality chances, and their aging/sub-par goalie tandem can't make up for it.

Matt Gilroy has been a leader on D for them this season. That's all that really needs to be said about the state of their D.

If anything, I would say Montreal or even the Islanders make a run for that 8th spot. I am absolutely salivating at the prospect of a NYI/NYR playoff matchup. It's been way to long. This rivalry needs a kick in the pants.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
I'm surprised you put Tampa in there. Sure, they have the offense, but their defense and goaltending have been horrendous. They are dead last in the league in goals against. Their defense is waaaay to soft, gives up too many quality chances, and their aging/sub-par goalie tandem can't make up for it.

Matt Gilroy has been a leader on D for them this season. That's all that really needs to be said about the state of their D.
I would not be surprised to see Yzerman make a deal for Schneider or Harding by the time the deadline goes by.

I read somewhere that they may put Connolly on the block to bring in a good young goalie like Schneider.

When they get Hedman back, all the need to do is trade for another good d-man and they can have at least a decent top-3 in Hedman, player X and Brewer.

Old
01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would not be surprised to see Yzerman make a deal for Schneider or Harding by the time the deadline goes by.

I read somewhere that they may put Connolly on the block to bring in a good young goalie like Schneider.

When they get Hedman back, all the need to do is trade for another good d-man and they can have at least a decent top-3 in Hedman, player X and Brewer.
I always thought Hedman was soft as butter.

Old
01-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
I always thought Hedman was soft as butter.
He did great against us

Old
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:

My prediction:

1. Boston
2. Rangers
3. Washington
4. Philadelphia
5. Ottawa
6. Pittsburgh
7. Tampa Bay
8. Toronto

New jersey
Winnipeg
Florida
Buffalo
Montreal
Islanders
Carolina
Pretty good, although I could see NJ somehow beating the Leafs out. For those two I think it could go either way. I also think Washington will place behind Philly.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Pretty good, although I could see NJ somehow beating the Leafs out. For those two I think it could go either way. I also think Washington will place behind Philly.
That's not possible, division winners are seeded 1-3

Old
01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
Classic !

Devs are better once they acquired Foster, but that backline, like many in the NHL right now, needs at least one more vet that can log minutes and move the puck.

Luckily for the non playoff teams, this year is a good sellers market.
That's what happens when you try to type going on an hour of sleep in the last 20 hours.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Connolly is a great player, I understand Schneider has high value but tht seems like a massive overpayment.

01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well, the East is pretty much always very weak. When was the last time there were more than 3-4 teams who had any sort of chance? There are as many contenders in the Central Division, if not more, than there are in the Eastern Conference, thanks to the injuries the Pens have suffered.

I'm not anointing the Devils cup contenders. But if they keep Parise, they'll be a playoff team every year as they navigate their own retooling. They'll need to replace the goaltender (not a difficult task), and they'll need to upgrade their blueline (more difficult). Those elements, however, are easier to find than top offense, which they have. So many here were proclaiming them as finished. I don't see that.
I don't know, look at TB this year. They have the offense, or at least DID last season, and now with really shoddy goaltending and defense they're one of the weakest teams in the league. The Devils are treading water with an even goal differential but right now I think it's a toss-up if they sneak into the playoffs or end in 9th. Also, they have less ROW than 4 of the teams right behind them.

It's very possible they do but I think they hit a rough spot once they start playing better teams.

Old
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

If anything, I would say Montreal or even the Islanders make a run for that 8th spot. I am absolutely salivating at the prospect of a NYI/NYR playoff matchup. It's been way to long. This rivalry needs a kick in the pants.
I'd love that matchup too.

I just find it hard to imagine the devils, habs, or isles making it over a team with Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier. They should stop playing that awful 1-3-1 and start forechecking. Guy Boucher is a dope.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd love that matchup too.

I just find it hard to imagine the devils, habs, or isles making it over a team with Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier. They should stop playing that awful 1-3-1 and start forechecking. Guy Boucher is a dope.
Tampa Bay is like 14 points out from the Devils...If the Devils play .500 hockey from here on out they will end up with 91 points...Tampa would have to go 25-11-1, or some similar derivative to just tie them. Is that an impossible task? No...but its no easy feat, especially since thats assuming the Devils go .500 the rest of the way. if the Devils maintain their current pace the Bolts would have to go 29-7-1...not impossible, but really damn close to it.

I just dont see any way the Bolts beat the Devils out of a playoff spot. they need to be shooting for the 7th or 8th seed...anything above that is bordering on impossible, particularly for a team with mediocre to putrid defensive and goaltending.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Tampa Bay is like 14 points out from the Devils...If the Devils play .500 hockey from here on out they will end up with 91 points...Tampa would have to go 25-11-1, or some similar derivative to just tie them. Is that an impossible task? No...but its no easy feat, especially since thats assuming the Devils go .500 the rest of the way. if the Devils maintain their current pace the Bolts would have to go 29-7-1...not impossible, but really damn close to it.

I just dont see any way the Bolts beat the Devils out of a playoff spot. they need to be shooting for the 7th or 8th seed...anything above that is bordering on impossible, particularly for a team with mediocre to putrid defensive and goaltending.
14 points is not much at all when there's half a season left. I just think the devils will suffer a major collapse, and I think tampa will find a way to grab the 7/8 spot.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

With the Sabres Hawks game on tonight, I decided to look up that Leino fella. 3 goals and 7 assists for 10 points this season.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Muh
Beadle

Rene Bourque fight in his first shift.

Love these Caps jerseys.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey