HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Isles - 7:00 PM - Verizon Center - 1-17-2012

Old
01-18-2012, 09:47 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
The theory is that if you draft BPA, you trade any excess at one position to fill a weakness at another.

It's been done somewhat with Hannan and others, but not for any long term assets. Hence the issues we're having now.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It may not be fair for me to lump this all on Laich because really, it's always on George. But Laich at 2C pretty much always failed in his attempts of the past. He considers himself a center but for almost his entire tenure here, has been at LW.

I wonder if it was him and his agent beating the drums before being inked, that he would sign here to be used as a center. Or, just our thin depth mandated it and George mistakenly thought he was the answer?

Sure he can be a 3C but there is a reason I guessed (wrong) all offseason he would be at 2C. I guess that because he makes way too much to be a 3C with our current top heavy cap structure. I don't care that he can bring PK skills. Or help out on the PP. I really don't. We need a solid ES 2C.

MJ, he is still a kid. His game now is build around speed, and we need patience to let him develop. Hopefully the silver lining of this is his development gets expedited as 1C. Eakin, another small speed kid - we are all just letting him learn. MP, a small scoring center used on 4 is laughable. He should be tried at 1C before 4C. Beagle can pinch hit at C, but really, I haven't seen him do anything of note this year. Halpern the grizzly old vet, meeting reasonable expectations. Sjogren, gone and bridge burned. Nick out. What's left? Laich, making 6M this year. IIRC despite Chimera's hot hand, has been a minus most of the year.

I probably wouldn't single him out now if he blocked some shots on the PK after failed clears last night. Odd, I haven't heard him say its all the players fault lately
We need a center who is strong with the puck, someone like Nicky. Now, many in the league don't have the vision Nicky does, but I'll take a center who is strong on a puck and can make decent passes. Mojo gets knocked off the puck very easily and Laich's puck handling leaves a lot to be desired. We see so many of our guys fumbling the puck that it is seriously getting frustrating watching this team play.

As far as GMGM goes, I'm not sure Ted will let go of him. Ted is still somewhat raw in this ownership business and I do not trust him to be able to hire a good replacement. I think we're stuck with GMGM for a while. The hope right now is he realizes his mistakes and corrects them.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

* trade ov? i wouldnt rule it out. ov had an ov like 11pts in 7 games run. the caps won 5 of those and scored at least 3 goals 6 of those games. instead of following up his run of 4 straight 2 point games with steady production, he has gone missing again. just 1 goal and 2pts in 6 games. 6 games where the caps have scored at least 3 goals once(the brouwer hat trick game). conversely semin has 4pts in the past 6 games.
Rene ****ing Bourque happened.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you must be young. caps fans felt the same about larry murphy when he was green's age and ran him out of town. he's in the hall of fame now with several cup rings. if you think green is bad defensively, you would have fainted watching gonchar in his own zone at green's age.

if you were in LA you would be yelling to ditch doughy, too.
My three year push to trade Green has never been about his play on the ice. For one game there are few guys in the league I would take over a healthy Green.

I just don't ever see Green being able to stay on the ice. He was great until the teams started to focus on him. In the past two and half season he has not been able to take the pounding he gets ever night. And his game drops way off when he is banged up.

I am sure you been reading this for three years now.. but

We will never be able to count on Green for a 20+ game playoff run.

Mr Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
IafrateOvie34

I couldn't log in yesterday, but I thought yesterday was one of the worst Caps games played all year. Amazing how in the middle of a playoff spot battle this team just acts like it just don't care. Million dollar professionals that just don't care about anything but a paycheck. The only good thing I saw yesterday was Brouwer's hit. I still think we'll make the playoffs and hope for the best, but some of this stuff is just getting to be unbearable. In some respects this reminds me of the 1994 team. That year we made it in and beat Pittsburgh. As for the NHL, they better hope they don't have another lockout. It will kill the NHL.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I couldn't log in yesterday, but I thought yesterday was one of the worst Caps games played all year. Amazing how in the middle of a playoff spot battle this team just acts like it just don't care. Million dollar professionals that just don't care about anything but a paycheck. The only good thing I saw yesterday was Brouwer's hit. I still think we'll make the playoffs and hope for the best, but some of this stuff is just getting to be unbearable. In some respects this reminds me of the 1994 team. That year we made it in and beat Pittsburgh. As for the NHL, they better hope they don't have another lockout. It will kill the NHL.
Agreed completely. I told my wife that since the team didn't care about the game, I wasn't going to either and turned it off a couple minutes into the 3rd.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Millhaus

This whole year and most of last year has me reconsidering my season tickets. The boredom level at last night's game, and most of their games these days, was awful.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Despite our good recent record against the Islanders, we never seem to put forth much of an effort against them.

They fall into the "we usually have success against them but make it harder than it needs to be" category with the Canes.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:27 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Luckily this was one of the those DVR'd game where I didn't even get home before the game ended and heard it was a stinker and simply deleted it. Always a handful of those a season. No need for aggravation.

01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
for 7mil?
No thanks.
For the difference in he and Semin's salary. Sign me up 1000 times over.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:05 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Agreed completely. I told my wife that since the team didn't care about the game, I wasn't going to either and turned it off a couple minutes into the 3rd.
Watching public television fund drives are more entertaining than last night's game . Seriously though, they need to really get a gut check fast. I don't expect every game a win, but games against the Isles are supposed to be gifts to playoff teams.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote