HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Dan Rosen will have an update on the Suter contract situation from Suter himself. Funny how non-Nashville media outlets are able to get more meaningful information. The only blurb he released was the standard lip service "I love Nashville and would love to stay."

Shea Weber told Dave Lozo of Yahoo that he similar loves Nashville, and the Preds want to talk contract now, but he'd prefer to wait until the season is over, and also that if the guys that are here stay and if the team continues to get better, this is where he wants to be.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
predfan98

I don't know what is going on, I just wish Suter would re-sign...

Weber apparently isn't going to talk to the Preds anytime soon.

RT @DaveLozo: Shea Weber stopped by the office today, said the #Preds want to talk contract, but he doesn't want to do it during the season.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'm not concerned about Weber not wanting to discuss during the season. It would be a huge bonus to know where to go regarding him sooner than later, but there are worse things than our star captain wanting to focus on hockey in January during a playoff race.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

I understand the emotion surrounding this topic. I would absolutely hate losing either Weber or Suter. However, I can't fault them in any way for leaving this team if they feel they can succeed more in a better "location".

I can't fault them because I've done the same thing, and many of you likely have as well when you changed jobs. This is their job. People change jobs all the time.

Last year, I worked in a job I loved as a Software Development Manager. It was a position I had been in for about five years for an employer (state of Tennessee) I had been with for almost 14 years (right from college, more or less). They had trained and supported me over that time, basically making me what I am as a software developer.

As the Software Development Manager, I led a very experienced team. Every member of the team had at least 10 years of development experience. We were considered one of the top development teams in the state and regularly contributed presentations to users' groups on new technology and ideas. The state, as a whole, was looking into moving towards newer methods of developing software (Agile Scrum for those that understand) and our agency was helping pioneer those efforts.

Then there was a change in the director position, unrelated to the job. The new director basically changed the direction 180 degrees. It was a change with which I strongly disagreed. I tried everything I could to change that decision, to no avail. I was miserable and it affected my home life (and my hockey writing, lol).

As a result, I left the agency as did one of my team (who resigned the day after my last day). I felt that neither I or my development team could not succeed at the rate we were succeeding by moving backward.

I landed on my feet in a better environment (took about 2-3 months for the right fit), one that tries to do things the right way. So did my colleague. None of what transpired changes the fact that I loved my time in that agency and the people I worked with. I continue to have lunch every month with my old team and correspond often with other old colleagues.

I didn't agree with the direction the agency wanted to head in, a direction in which it was my responsibility to enforce, so I left. I hate I had to make that decision, but it was one I needed to make for my health, my own personal success and as a leader of people.

I made the right decision for me. I'm with a great company, working another group of great people. Having exercised my own right to improve my ability to succeed, I don't feel right (personally) criticizing Suter or Weber if they make that choice. Nor can I criticize them for attempting to convince management of a "better" course.

I understand your pain and empathize. That said, I also understand the decision (somewhat) before Suter and Weber and can empathize with them as well.

Last edited by David Singleton: 01-18-2012 at 12:48 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:43 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1200
I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this conversation, bravo team.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this conversation, bravo team.
Enjoy it before the government decides this is piracy of some kind and shuts us down.

Too soon?

Old
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
wadesworld

Quote:
I understand your pain and empathize. That said, I also understand the decision (somewhat) before Suter and Weber and can empathize with them as well.
So you're saying Poile is trying to build the team via Waterfall model? (software reference, for those that don't know)

Seriously though, no, I don't fault them if they want to leave. We are not, and are not likely to become Detroit, Chicago, Boston or Vancouver. As much as we like to believe we may one day become one of the league's perennial powers, the truth is the odds are against it. Hopefully we CAN become a Colorado or a Tampa Bay (well, not this season) - win a cup here and there and generally be in the hunt.

What I don't want them to do though is hurt the team in their exit. They may have to leave, but they can do so in a way that hurts the team as little as possible. I'm sure in the same way, you didn't just walk out the door. You gave at least your minimum notice and probably provided some suggestions to your team on how to move ahead without you.

Obviously, we'll likely never know the truth. And it's quite possible the only reason for the delays are they simply haven't decided yet, or are willing to stay but haven't gotten all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. Time will tell. I'm just hopeful that while trying to do the best thing they can for themselves, they also try to leave the Predators in the best shape they can.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I doubt nashville's forecheck or two way play is disrupting web/suts personal life or sleeping patterns.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
So you're saying Poile is trying to build the team via Waterfall model? (software reference, for those that don't know)

Seriously though, no, I don't fault them if they want to leave. We are not, and are not likely to become Detroit, Chicago, Boston or Vancouver. As much as we like to believe we may one day become one of the league's perennial powers, the truth is the odds are against it. Hopefully we CAN become a Colorado or a Tampa Bay (well, not this season) - win a cup here and there and generally be in the hunt.

What I don't want them to do though is hurt the team in their exit. They may have to leave, but they can do so in a way that hurts the team as little as possible. I'm sure in the same way, you didn't just walk out the door. You gave at least your minimum notice and probably provided some suggestions to your team on how to move ahead without you.

Obviously, we'll likely never know the truth. And it's quite possible the only reason for the delays are they simply haven't decided yet, or are willing to stay but haven't gotten all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. Time will tell. I'm just hopeful that while trying to do the best thing they can for themselves, they also try to leave the Predators in the best shape they can.
yes, this is where the character and integrity in all parties comes into play.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
This is my big question. If you're Suter and you feel this way, why would you drag it out?

Why not just say, "David, the Preds don't have what it takes to keep me here. However, I appreciate what this organization has done for me, so I want you to get something in return. Put the word on the street that I'm available and try to maximize what you get."

What's the value in stringing it out? The plausible scenario there is what we've all imagined - Suter has said "show me your commitment by bringing in a top forward."

I'm not sure which scenario is real. The frustrating part is that both Suter and Weber have to know that Nashville will suffer more the longer they drag it out.
I don't think anyone is getting stringed along here. Poile doesn't need Suter to say all that to get the picture. I do not want Suter to request a trade because that just puts us in a tight spot and kisses our season goodbye. If we don't make the playoffs this year and/or remain a competitive team, how are we gonna improve the team this summer?

Even if Poile knows for 100% certainty that Suter isn't going to re-sign, I would still want to keep him for our playoff run. Trading him would likely only net futures that do nothing for our club now.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I don't think anyone is getting stringed along here. Poile doesn't need Suter to say all that to get the picture. I do not want Suter to request a trade because that just puts us in a tight spot and kisses our season goodbye. If we don't make the playoffs this year and/or remain a competitive team, how are we gonna improve the team this summer?

Even if Poile knows for 100% certainty that Suter isn't going to re-sign, I would still want to keep him for our playoff run. Trading him would likely only net futures that do nothing for our club now.
Unless Poile plans on improving the team, it doesn't matter if we keep or trade Suter IMO. We will always have a chance to beat anyone, but our margin of error is too small right now due to missing pieces.

01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Unless Poile plans on improving the team, it doesn't matter if we keep or trade Suter IMO. We will always have a chance to beat anyone, but our margin of error is too small right now due to missing pieces.
Definitely agree. Problem is improving your club via trade has become increasingly difficult these days. 25 buyers and 5 sellers. And the sellers don't really have anything of value to sell. Hopefully we get a break, and a surprise player goes on the market.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
luckofirish8

Letting Suter walk via FA is not an option. You can't let a player of Suter's caliber leave your franchise and get nothing in return. If, who knows how big of an if that is, Suter doesn't want to resign then you have to find a trade partner. The good news is with a player of his caliber you should/will have plenty of options.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

didnt want to copy all of dave Singletons post but this is mainly in response to it.

I really dont think anyone questions whether Weber and Suter have the right to go elsewhere whenever the CBA allows it.

What makes me so mad is this nebulous bull**** about waiting to see if we are committed to being a winner.

For the love of God is offering the three of you obscene amounts of money to stay here not proof of the teams commitment??

How much else do they think Poile can do when they are holding up the whole process by dragging this out??

I say if they have been VERY SPECIFIC with Poile as to what they have to see to sign, then fine, Poile can either get it done, or tell them it cant be done, and act accordingly.... but if all they are doing is being vague and hemming and hawing, they may doscover that Poile's plan for committing to winning is to trade both of them for a buttload of assets and try to build this club around players who arent so obtuse....

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:

What I don't want them to do though is hurt the team in their exit. They may CHOOSE to leave, but they can do so in a way that hurts the team as little as possible. I'm sure in the same way, you didn't just walk out the door. You gave at least your minimum notice and probably provided some suggestions to your team on how to move ahead without you...
I fixed it for you
I never would have dreamed we would be throwing out IT references-- I could have used some several pages ago
Nashville has been touted many times by current and former Preds as being above board with its prospects and players, and in some cases going out of their way to treat players as family and abide by players wishes where possible. Nobody leaves here and trashes how they were handled, not that I can remember, anyway. I consider it both a professional courtesy as well as a character issue if a player is not forthright with management about their desires. Just as I would hate to hear the org shipped a player to a cellar dweller to punish them. I don't see this as in GM DP's DNA. This is what bothers me.

Will I hate to see either of these guys go? From a talent perspective, yes. If they are being unprofessional, subverting the process for the team, and petty about it, heck no. Good riddance in that case, dead to me, and a pox on your house.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:40 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckofirish8 View Post
Letting Suter walk via FA is not an option. You can't let a player of Suter's caliber leave your franchise and get nothing in return. If, who knows how big of an if that is, Suter doesn't want to resign then you have to find a trade partner. The good news is with a player of his caliber you should/will have plenty of options.
well, I would say this is true if you can get assets back in return. for instance if Philly offers JVR or another young roster player, that would be worth doing...

but if all we are going to get is a pick or two, Id just as soon think of him as a playoff rental and see if we can make a nice deep run this year, then if he still doesnt want to stay we can try to trade his rights before july 1.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
I fixed it for you

Nashville has been touted many times by current and former Preds as being above board with its prospects and players, and in some cases going out of their way to treat players as family and abide by players wishes where possible. Nobody leaves here and trashes how they were handled, not that I can remember, anyway.
That's fine and great but the bottom line remains that we aren't perceived as a Cup contender or a viable destination by many, if not all, elite players around the league. Yeah Nashville is sweet and we may treat the players well, but they want the Cup above all else and until we are seen as a destination of those sorts, or our city grows by a million or two people, I don't know if that will happen.

Quote:

Exactly. It's just a fact. I hope we have one of those magical seasons occasionally but the truth is the highlight of our supposedly model-expansion-franchise is making game 6 of the second round. Take out Atlanta and Columbus and look at all the other 'newer' additions to the league:

Carolina - won a Cup and got to the finals twice. Tampa Bay: won a Cup and got to the conference finals. Anaheim: Same as Carolina. Ottawa: Got to the finals. Colorado: Won two cups. FLORIDA for God's sake: made the Cup finals (although they're a little different). Minnesota: Made a conference final.

We are a very consistent organization but we lack that "it" factor. We can be the most friendly city in the world but until we garner the reputation of being a winner, no elite talent will knock down our door to play here.

Last edited by Drake744: 01-18-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
AEM6729

I doubt there's a poster here who would argue that Suter and Weber don't have the right to leave Nashville. We all know they have the right to do whatever they want. But if they leave, it will still hurt and make me angry on a personal level.

If you've got a fiancÚ that you've hung all your hopes and dreams on and he tells you "I'm sorry, but I want to break up and move on with someone else, you're just not what I want", you're not going to respond with "Oh. Well, you have a right to do that. Goodbye." Of course he has a right to do that, but you're still going to be hurt and pissed about it.

Like ILILI said, if Suter leaves it will feel like he's judging our team negatively. And that hurts, no matter how you slice it. The city of Nashville is not going to respond with "Oh well, that's your right".

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
That's fine and great but the bottom line remains that we aren't perceived as a Cup contender or a viable destination by many, if not all, elite players around the league. Yeah Nashville is sweet and we may treat the players well, but they want the Cup above all else and until we are seen as a destination of those sorts, or our city grows by a million or two people, I don't know if that will happen.

Exactly. It's just a fact. I hope we have one of those magical seasons occasionally but the truth is the highlight of our supposedly model-expansion-franchise is making game 6 of the second round. Take out Atlanta and Columbus and look at all the other 'newer' additions to the league:

Carolina - won a Cup and got to the finals twice. Tampa Bay: won a Cup and got to the conference finals. Anaheim: Same as Carolina. Ottawa: Got to the finals. Colorado: Won two cups. FLORIDA for God's sake: made the Cup finals (although they're a little different). Minnesota: Made a conference final.

We are a very consistent organization but we lack that "it" factor. We can be the most friendly city in the world but until we garner the reputation of being a winner, no elite talent will knock down our door to play here.

That's what would hurt so much about Suter and Weber leaving. Re-signing them to long deals, having Rinne here, bringing Radulov back, Ellis and Josi continuing to improve...these are all things that are well within the realm of happening, and I would argue that we are on the verge of becoming a Cup contender. Add in a signing this summer (Parise, in my dreams) and we could be an elite team. But it all goes to **** if Suter and Weber leave.

Reminds me of the Forsberg year, where we really got some respect around the league and were seen as legit contenders...but it didn't pan out that year and then the fire sale happened.

It takes a long time to build a contender from nothing. All the perennial powerhouses of the league have been around forever. We're now on the verge of being a real contender, for the second time in our franchise's history. And I'm going to be really sad if it slips away again.

P.S. How does Rosen tease us about an article where Suter talks about contracts and still not have the story up 6 hours later?! I need to read this! Even though I know it'll just make me mad...I'd rather not hear how much he loves Nashville until he has a signed contract in his hand.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
My bad. I thought this was a message board, a place to express opinions.
Sounded like you were talking more fact than opinion. Opinions are one thing but the way things were stated in your post, you had it all figured out. Big difference.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Dan Rosen will have an update on the Suter contract situation from Suter himself. Funny how non-Nashville media outlets are able to get more meaningful information. The only blurb he released was the standard lip service "I love Nashville and would love to stay."

Shea Weber told Dave Lozo of Yahoo that he similar loves Nashville, and the Preds want to talk contract now, but he'd prefer to wait until the season is over, and also that if the guys that are here stay and if the team continues to get better, this is where he wants to be.
Am I misreading this? Who is dan rosen and whenis this update coming? Or is all rosen got was the lip service quote?

Old
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Am I misreading this? Who is dan rosen and whenis this update coming? Or is all rosen got was the lip service quote?
he is this guy
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612414

and i think it was on twitter... i think he talked to webs and sutes this am in ny

and yes, all i think he got was the standard lip service quote about loving nashville....

Old
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
he is this guy
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=612414

and i think it was on twitter... i think he talked to webs and sutes this am in ny

and yes, all i think he got was the standard lip service quote about loving nashville....
He said he was gonna put more info "in story form" but the story hasn't come yet...

Old
01-18-2012, 09:27 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Drake and wadesworld, I agree that under this model they are operating under:
1) Preds are not likely to be a perennial cup contender like Detroit or Chicago. I think they can be a perennial PLAYOFF team, with some deeper runs that might get us a SC shot.

2) Until they demonstrate that kind of year after year consistentency, they will lack that 'it' factor to players. Everyone can't be in the conference finals every year. Sometimes injuries, bad bounces, karma, etc. will happen.

As much as I want to believe the team will operate with much higher salaries year over year and become a desirable destination for players, I am going to have to see it. This does not mean I support the team any less, I am just trying to set realistic expectations.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:45 AM
deanwormer

You know, when I sit and think on it, I'm just not buying the idea that there has to be some grand move or gesture that shows Nashville is serious or whatever in becoming a "perennial contender". You know, we the fans think about teams that way, but really - how many teams are in the situation they're gonna' be cup contenders every - or almost every - year?

There's DET. and then...... SJ. Maybe PHI. Everyone else, I'd argue you can tie to the fact that they've acquire a pair of stars and some good next level guys that are playing their whole careers there, but when they're gone it's not guarantee they reload. Det was in the crapper a long time before they rebuilt but they've clearly put in place a system that transcends and passes between groups of players. SJ less so, but probably. But CHI? C'mon - they sucked for a long time, got to draft Toews and Kane - and voila - they're good. All they've proven is they can keep them signed and get them to sign hometown discounts. Same with Pitts. NJ - went down the crapper when Lou stepped back. VAN - maybe - lets see what happens when the sisters retire.

We want to act like Nashville has built a solid team that can make the POs every year and once-in-a-while make a serious run; I'd argue that is the NORMAL for good franchises - that's the Blues (with their 20+ year PO run and now back to being a serious threat), that's Washington (from the Poile days to the Ovechkin-led occasional contender), that's COL (battling DET in some brutal PO series for a few years, then a run with some aging stars, now rebuilt)... I could go on with several more examples, but honestly, any of these teams that are good for a run of 8 or 10 years - how many are they really legitimate cup threats? (not too mention a thing like a #8 seed Edmonton making a run over all those "contenders")

We've pointed out money/big-market does not cure all. Toronto may be on the right path now, but they've been miserable for a LONG time. Montreal too. The Rangers - thrown a lot of money around for a long time and now when they get a star to take a below-market contract and come there they're contending - but sustained as a legitimate cup contender?

*IF* it's about "competitive balance" for Suter and Weber it's about the fact that we're stuck in the same division with DET and CHI and SL. DET is who they are, CHI will have Toews and Kane during Webs/Sutes entire careers. SL has built themselves into Nashville with a few more bucks to spend so their depth can be a little stronger or they can afford to take on a late-career guy to fill lower spot where we have to go with a kid.

So - here they are - in a low profile market. Adored and comfortable, but maybe not quite as respected as they should be. Certainly don't get the options outside of hockey they'd get in CAN or the big markets - the endorsements, etc. Pretty much on a team that will be in the POs for the foreseeable future which - unless you're in DET (and maybe SJ and PHI) - is all you can ask. The market options for a cup? Well, they have to go to a team with stars that have signed below-market long-term contracts otherwise - year-in and year-out - just not any kinda' guarantee that they're gonna' be any more competitive than we are. Seems to me the only thing you can say for those other "regularly competitive" teams is they have a few more bucks to spend so MAYBE they can sign an aged FA or make a trade for a rental that we really can't. Offset to that - we've got a pretty good history of growing kids through the system.

In the end, it's their choice. 600+ guys in the NHL all wanna' win a cup - 23 of them gonna' do that in any given year. PK signs in SL and they're miserable. Sully signs in Pits and they've got mounting injury issues. Ward goes to WSH and they implode and fire the coach. ANA woulda' looked like a good destination this past year, wouldn't they? Very few guarantees. To me, the difference for Webs/Sutes is in Nashville, they're expected to lead, be the example, not just the superstar that puts the team over-the-top, but brings along the kids and helps them all learn. Maybe they're just not cut-out for that?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote