HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
12-18-2011, 09:40 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I think we'll get new booth guys next year...I hope
Unless they both start dropping hints that this is a pathetic team, I doubt it. Davidge has been here since the beginning and I can't remember a time when he ever was really critical of the franchise.... Hell, I've heard more criticsm from Bobby Mac on the radio in the last few seasons than I've ever heard from Billy D. And Rimer, I highly doubt he's going anywhere...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:22 PM
CBJNut

Send a message via ICQ to CBJNut Send a message via AIM to CBJNut Send a message via MSN to CBJNut Send a message via Yahoo to CBJNut
Jim Day was critical and got canned.

CBJNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
squarelaces

Jeff "All important" Rimer and Bill "Right now" Davidge would never say anyting against the organization.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Time for me to rant big time here, after the latest GDT spun in this direction and I figured it would be best to go into the right topic.

We already know how bad Jeff Rimer and Bill Davidge are. This new side-ice reporter/pregame host we have, Natalie Taylor, is not good at all in my opinion. Every time I see her, she is fumbling about or using awkward transitions into what she wants to talk about. Reminds me of when a news cast runs quicker than expected and the anchors try to fill time with idle chit chat that is so painfully forced. She really brings nothing to the table. What she does, any of us can do. Stand there, ask a question someone feeds into the ear piece, wait for response, send it back upstairs.

Combine that with the CBJ's control over who our PxP announcers are, and it makes things worse. Which brings me back to the idea somebody liked Lori Schmidt and what she does with WBNS. If she had done what she did to Arniel on New Year's Eve with FSOhio, she'd be out of a job as quick as Jim Day was when he became very critical of the franchise. I'd love to see Lori Schmidt get a chance, but she'd be so muted it wouldn't be worth it. Actually, I'm surprised she didn't get fired as it is because of the Dispatch-CBJ connection. (We saw what WBNS pretty much did to Bruce Hooley when he told it like it was for OSU and the whole Tressel situation. Not saying I'm a Hooley fan on everything, but he got shafted.)

Continuing on, with NHLCI, I get to see many commentary crews, side-ice reporters, presentations, etc., and ours is a complete joke. Some of the ones I think are better overall as a whole:

All of the CSNs (Sharks, Blackhawks, Capitals, Flyers)
Sun Sports (Lightning)
FS Florida (Panthers)
FS West (Kings)
Prime Ticket (Ducks)
NESN (Bruins)
Root Sports Pittsburgh (Penguins)
FS Tennessee (Predators)
FS Southwest (Stars)
FS Arizona (Coyotes)

We get graphics wrong all the time, we have announcers that butcher things left and right, all we get is fluff from the side-ice reporter, heck we can't even ensure a lot of Ohioans interested in watching can get the games (re: NE Ohio)... it's an embarrassment. I am convinced nobody in the FSN company cares about FSOhio. Everything that we see as a "new innovation" or new presentation style has been on other FSNs for at least a year. Not just on one or two FSNs for a test market/soft launch of something, but on several of them for some time. Like when FoXmo was launched and Bill Davidge said it was the best thing since sliced bread, yet I had seen it on many FSNs for some time before FSOhio got it. Why did it take so long for us to get something everyone else had?

And what about the intermissions? Everyone else has detailed analysis of the games, scores and highlights from elsewhere, talking about issues that matter, etc. What do we have? Player interview, fluff piece prepackaged story, Bill Davidge on the telestrator -- and none of that is ever, ever negative; sunshine always has to be blown up our rears. We MIGHT vary it up if we get Jeff Rimer to do an interview and name drop with whoever he is with. What is being done now needs scrapped and we need people to get in there and tell it like it is and quit insulting our intelligence! If I wanted to see a young, sick girl meet an official before the game, or how the CBJ players spent their holidays volunteering, I can see that in a magazine show (ex: Sun Sports has "Inside the Lightning") or I can see that in pregame. I want REAL hockey-related stuff in the intermissions.

I have a lot of fundamental issues with this team and the firing of Arniel doesn't do enough to resolve them. They need to clean house, and FSOhio-related stuff has to be part of it. Heck, I can't believe the CBJ re-upped with FSOhio. I don't know what options they truly had, but something out there had to be better.

I'm done ranting. I know I said a lot but we deserve so much better than the crap we're force-fed every single broadcast.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Time for me to rant big time here, after the latest GDT spun in this direction and I figured it would be best to go into the right topic.

We already know how bad Jeff Rimer and Bill Davidge are. This new side-ice reporter/pregame host we have, Natalie Taylor, is not good at all in my opinion. Every time I see her, she is fumbling about or using awkward transitions into what she wants to talk about. Reminds me of when a news cast runs quicker than expected and the anchors try to fill time with idle chit chat that is so painfully forced. She really brings nothing to the table. What she does, any of us can do. Stand there, ask a question someone feeds into the ear piece, wait for response, send it back upstairs.

Combine that with the CBJ's control over who our PxP announcers are, and it makes things worse. Which brings me back to the idea somebody liked Lori Schmidt and what she does with WBNS. If she had done what she did to Arniel on New Year's Eve with FSOhio, she'd be out of a job as quick as Jim Day was when he became very critical of the franchise. I'd love to see Lori Schmidt get a chance, but she'd be so muted it wouldn't be worth it. Actually, I'm surprised she didn't get fired as it is because of the Dispatch-CBJ connection. (We saw what WBNS pretty much did to Bruce Hooley when he told it like it was for OSU and the whole Tressel situation. Not saying I'm a Hooley fan on everything, but he got shafted.)

Continuing on, with NHLCI, I get to see many commentary crews, side-ice reporters, presentations, etc., and ours is a complete joke. Some of the ones I think are better overall as a whole:

All of the CSNs (Sharks, Blackhawks, Capitals, Flyers)
Sun Sports (Lightning)
FS Florida (Panthers)
FS West (Kings)
Prime Ticket (Ducks)
NESN (Bruins)
Root Sports Pittsburgh (Penguins)
FS Tennessee (Predators)
FS Southwest (Stars)
FS Arizona (Coyotes)

We get graphics wrong all the time, we have announcers that butcher things left and right, all we get is fluff from the side-ice reporter, heck we can't even ensure a lot of Ohioans interested in watching can get the games (re: NE Ohio)... it's an embarrassment. I am convinced nobody in the FSN company cares about FSOhio. Everything that we see as a "new innovation" or new presentation style has been on other FSNs for at least a year. Not just on one or two FSNs for a test market/soft launch of something, but on several of them for some time. Like when FoXmo was launched and Bill Davidge said it was the best thing since sliced bread, yet I had seen it on many FSNs for some time before FSOhio got it. Why did it take so long for us to get something everyone else had?

And what about the intermissions? Everyone else has detailed analysis of the games, scores and highlights from elsewhere, talking about issues that matter, etc. What do we have? Player interview, fluff piece prepackaged story, Bill Davidge on the telestrator -- and none of that is ever, ever negative; sunshine always has to be blown up our rears. We MIGHT vary it up if we get Jeff Rimer to do an interview and name drop with whoever he is with. What is being done now needs scrapped and we need people to get in there and tell it like it is and quit insulting our intelligence! If I wanted to see a young, sick girl meet an official before the game, or how the CBJ players spent their holidays volunteering, I can see that in a magazine show (ex: Sun Sports has "Inside the Lightning") or I can see that in pregame. I want REAL hockey-related stuff in the intermissions.

I have a lot of fundamental issues with this team and the firing of Arniel doesn't do enough to resolve them. They need to clean house, and FSOhio-related stuff has to be part of it. Heck, I can't believe the CBJ re-upped with FSOhio. I don't know what options they truly had, but something out there had to be better.

I'm done ranting. I know I said a lot but we deserve so much better than the crap we're force-fed every single broadcast.
Oh Moo, cut Natalie Taylor some slack. For example, would you rather hear and watch her or Jeff Rimer? Pick.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Oh Moo, cut Natalie Taylor some slack. For example, would you rather hear and watch her or Jeff Rimer? Pick.
I pick neither. If I want them all gone, why would I want to choose one over the other? That's like asking me if I want to eat my least favorite vegetable or least favorite fruit with dinner. The whole thing needs blown up and redone.

Old
01-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I pick neither. If I want them all gone, why would I want to choose one over the other? That's like asking me if I want to eat my least favorite vegetable or least favorite fruit with dinner. The whole thing needs blown up and redone.
Fair enough.... solid response.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Fair enough.... solid response.
The ONLY thing I can say in Natalie's corner is that if Jeff Rimer goes bye-bye, we may see some changes that benefit her. Danny Gare is a lot better away from the CBJ and Davidge went downhill since he replaced Gare. The common denominator is Rimer.

But, I also don't know how you can connect a side-ice reporter to a color commentator that relies on Rimer a lot more. Therefore, I think it is a stretch for that comparison.

Then again, if we had independent broadcasters (which the CBJ will NEVER do), who knows what we truly have?

Old
01-18-2012, 01:36 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

the problem is, in the GDTs, people are just railing on Natalie's appearance and making lame jokes at her expense.

It's tasteless, and we can be better than that.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:37 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I know the technical broadcasts situation has been discussed but I have to rehash, the quality of the image feed is one of the worst NHL broadcasts I have seen. It looks like they took a standard definition feed recorded it to VHS, transferred it to another VHS then broadcasted it. With today's equipment that is really the best they can do? 1982 called and wants their camera's back. LOL oh well maybe its may cable company

Play by play never really bothers me so much, I think most local sports broadcasters leave a lot to be desired because the national networks cherry pick the talent out of local contracts. Few towns get lucky with ones that stick it out and become a voice of the team. Really the only thing I like to see in local broadcasters is enthusiasm. And I think the team does a decent job at that.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:44 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Time for me to rant big time here, ...I have fundamental issues
Yes you do.

The format always starts to get stale this time of year, just like the team.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:07 AM
BluejacketNut

"the Patience Of Derrick Brassard!!!!!!!!!!"

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
the problem is, in the GDTs, people are just railing on Natalie's appearance and making lame jokes at her expense.

It's tasteless, and we can be better than that.
It's gotten beyond annoying with me.

For those of you who make it a point to rag on her appearance, I'd like to see some pics of your significant others to see how they compare to her. I'm sure I could find a few faults with them.

Edit: Some people around here just need to grow the **** up.

Last edited by Matt Foley: 01-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Every time I see her, she is fumbling about or using awkward transitions into what she wants to talk about. Reminds me of when a news cast runs quicker than expected and the anchors try to fill time with idle chit chat that is so painfully forced.
Moo I agree with this point. I don't care what she looks like she is just not very good. I cringe every time I hear her speak because she is always fumbling for words or making a very awkward transition to another subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji9991 View Post
I know the technical broadcasts situation has been discussed but I have to rehash, the quality of the image feed is one of the worst NHL broadcasts I have seen. It looks like they took a standard definition feed recorded it to VHS, transferred it to another VHS then broadcasted it. With today's equipment that is really the best they can do? 1982 called and wants their camera's back. LOL oh well maybe its may cable company
I have never had a problem with the quality of the HD feed. If you are watching the game in SD its time to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
It's gotten beyond annoying with me.

Edit: Some people around here just need to grow the **** up.
I get tried of the over the top bashing of some of our players that always seems to happen. That to me is even more annoying.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:45 AM
FreeBoomer61

"and a GOAL!"

seriously, switch it up every now and then, rimer.

FreeBoomer61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
WALLY

Quote:
I have WOW & basic cable... I got cable a few years ago for the sole purpose of watching Blue Jackets games, nothing more. Every other channel is fine, but FSN game broadcasts look terrible. The top of the glass, lines on the ice & player's sticks ends up looking like 8-bit Atari graphics?!?

I called Wow and they were pretty clueless as to what I was even talking about. I wrote to FSN & I'm not holding my breath for a response. I really don't remember previous year's broadcasts looking as terrible as they do this year.

It really sucks... I'm not about to upgrade to an HD tv & HD service either.

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLY View Post
It really sucks... I'm not about to upgrade to an HD tv & HD service either.
You really should upgrade. Even if you only pick up a 24" or a 32" for a couple of hundered it is going to be 1000X better then SD. SD is a dead format so you are not going to see any improvement and in fact don't be surprised if SD channels start to be drop in the near future because they are a waste of bandwidth and money.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 01-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Moo I agree with this point. I don't care what she looks like she is just not very good. I cringe every time I hear her speak because she is always fumbling for words or making a very awkward transition to another subject.
Exactly. So instead of making awkward transitions, why not just simplify it? Something a LOT of newscasters really need to learn.

Instead of (random made-up example): "Welcome back to Nationwide Arena where the fans are enjoying some of the new sushi on sale here. I wish I could try some because it looks so yummy but I don't know how everyone else would feel about it if I'd eat some right now." (And fumbling through that big time.)

Just say:

"Welcome back to Nationwide Arena. It is scoreless during the second intermission between the Oilers and your Blue Jackets. Later on this period we will send it up to Bill Davidge for the telestrator highlights, but for now, we want to show you (and set up the feature piece they want to show.)"

The second example is cleaner, more precise, no fumbling unless you can't speak English clearly, and it is to the point. A bit more vanilla, perhaps, but it gets the job done and sounds a lot more professional.

The problem is a lot of these newscasters are taught to jazz things up (in the sports world, this is the SportsCenter syndrome), but when you're on live TV, the "idle chit chat" stuff as I call it can backfire. (Need I remind people of the field reporter who wanted to congratulate a female anchor's Hoosiers on a great win, but botched the word Hoosiers? It was a YT sensation for a short time a few months ago) If you're in a different format such as delayed broadcast or writing, that's fine, because you can edit. Live TV? No editing can be done because you're live.

Case in point: If you're ever in Zanesville, watch the WHIZ broadcasts on a Saturday or Sunday night. They're weekend anchors fresh from college (usually OU) getting their feet wet in actual TV broadcasting. It can be comical or painful, depending on how you view it, but either way, it shows what is wrong with live reporting and those not instructed properly to just do the news rather than try to be the news.

Old
01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
"and a GOAL!"

seriously, switch it up every now and then, rimer.
"XXXX In FULL FLIGHT!"

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Exactly. So instead of making awkward transitions, why not just simplify it? Something a LOT of newscasters really need to learn.

Instead of (random made-up example): "Welcome back to Nationwide Arena where the fans are enjoying some of the new sushi on sale here. I wish I could try some because it looks so yummy but I don't know how everyone else would feel about it if I'd eat some right now." (And fumbling through that big time.)

Just say:

"Welcome back to Nationwide Arena. It is scoreless during the second intermission between the Oilers and your Blue Jackets. Later on this period we will send it up to Bill Davidge for the telestrator highlights, but for now, we want to show you (and set up the feature piece they want to show.)"

The second example is cleaner, more precise, no fumbling unless you can't speak English clearly, and it is to the point. A bit more vanilla, perhaps, but it gets the job done and sounds a lot more professional.

The problem is a lot of these newscasters are taught to jazz things up (in the sports world, this is the SportsCenter syndrome), but when you're on live TV, the "idle chit chat" stuff as I call it can backfire. (Need I remind people of the field reporter who wanted to congratulate a female anchor's Hoosiers on a great win, but botched the word Hoosiers? It was a YT sensation for a short time a few months ago) If you're in a different format such as delayed broadcast or writing, that's fine, because you can edit. Live TV? No editing can be done because you're live.

Case in point: If you're ever in Zanesville, watch the WHIZ broadcasts on a Saturday or Sunday night. They're weekend anchors fresh from college (usually OU) getting their feet wet in actual TV broadcasting. It can be comical or painful, depending on how you view it, but either way, it shows what is wrong with live reporting and those not instructed properly to just do the news rather than try to be the news.
And Boom goes the Dynamite

Old
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the quality of the HD feed. If you are watching the game in SD its time to upgrade.
I wont disagree with you in general becuase 'get with the times' is a valid stance, but in some respects I think SD is still a valid way to watch TV. Most cable companies still split digital channels between HD and SD. And every other broacast on this TV and service shows up fine except for the blue jackets. Its not even the whole channel that's messed it is just the Jackets broacasts. So yeah if I am complaining about everything plus the 6 o'clock news then shame on me. Could still be something at my cable provider though. It just sux cause I want to see the game without it looking like watching through a shower curtain man! I'll have to ask my coworkers if they've noticed anything.

We are saving up for an HD TV but in truth I think SD is still dying and not dead for those that don't want to shell out a couple hundred on a new screen.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
And Boom goes the Dynamite

That goes without saying anymore.

Quote:
I wont disagree with you in general becuase 'get with the times' is a valid stance, but in some respects I think SD is still a valid way to watch TV. Most cable companies still split digital channels between HD and SD. And every other broacast on this TV and service shows up fine except for the blue jackets. Its not even the whole channel that's messed it is just the Jackets broacasts. So yeah if I am complaining about everything plus the 6 o'clock news then shame on me. Could still be something at my cable provider though. It just sux cause I want to see the game without it looking like watching through a shower curtain man! I'll have to ask my coworkers if they've noticed anything.

We are saving up for an HD TV but in truth I think SD is still dying and not dead for those that don't want to shell out a couple hundred on a new screen.
What's going to happen eventually is all true SD feeds will be non-existent, for all intent purposes. Look at what FOX Sports (the big-boy network, not the RSN) does now, among others: The SD feed they pump out is nothing more than the HD feed squeezed into the SD feed to have that letterbox feel. This also means they no longer film the event to fit into the 4:3 window; they film it for 16:9.

When the major overhaul innovation for TV was going from B&W to color, that was easy. The color TVs were backwards compatible, and the B&W TVs could still pull in colored programming but it was just shown in B&W. The difference here is with the digital age, you can't easily take older TVs and make them work without a special box. But you can't alienate the old TVs either, unless you rig HD boxes to squeeze their feeds into a SD screen.

We'll see how it goes.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:28 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:

The reason it looks so bad for just the Jackets games is because of lake of bandwidth and they are compressing the SD feed to make room for the HD feed and like Moo has pointed out it is only going to get worse as providers drop their SD feed and just put a HD filmed program on SD channels.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
The reason it looks so bad for just the Jackets games is because of lake of bandwidth and they are compressing the SD feed to make room for the HD feed and like Moo has pointed out it is only going to get worse as providers drop their SD feed and just put a HD filmed program on SD channels.
I'm going to be honest... since switching to Verizon FiOS, I've NEVER had issues with picture quality. The way the fiber optic network they have is built is so much better than cable, which pretty much bottlenecks big time. I never had major issues with TWC back home in Ohio, but Bright House down here in Tampa is absolutely terrible and I'll never subscribe to them again.

So if the cable provider's overall layout is bad and has bottlenecking, well, it'll get worse as time goes on.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
EdwardG
North!

Question: Why is Dave Maetzold doing color on the post-game show? I wouldn't mind him in Crawford's role (actually would prefer him to Crawford), but he imo has no business providing game analysis.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote