HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonagh should not go back to the second pairing

Old
01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
MDZ-Stralman would that work out?
Did you mean to type something else? They've been playing together ever since Emminger got hurt

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Torts discussed the D today

Quote:
“I think probably by All-Star break there, or when we come back together after the break, there’ll be some decisions to be made,” Tortorella said. “I think we’ll probably have the nine defensemen healthy, so some decisions are going to have to made along the way there. But it’s good. It’s good to see them on the ice and practicing with us.”

Tortorella said the Rangers could be having “conversations with some of our D …. shortly” about doing AHL conditioning assignments when that time comes.

The Rangers’ starting defensemen on the left side when everyone is healthy are Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto and Marc Staal. With Woywitka imminently ready and Eminger and Sauer not setting a date but probably looking at returns around mid-February, the right defensive starters would be All-Star Dan Girardi, Sauer and Eminger – with the three odd-men out being Anton Stralman, rookie Stu Bickel and Woywitka.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...rsonnel-when-s

Assuming everyone stays healthy and the injured guys return

McD-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
Staal-Eminger

Stralman hasn't lost the confidence of the staff. Bickel hasn't played much the last 2 games. Stralman has been paired with DZ and received some shifts with Staal.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
This.

What rotten luck! The Rangers have three top pairing d-men. Oh no!

This team is ridiculously deep on the blue line and the truth is that the Rangers have not even iced their best possible team yet this year. Someone has always been out on the back end.
You can never be too deep on the blue line as the injuries we have sustained show. Hopefully, we can field a full, healthy contingent of d-men by the end of february for the stretch run and the playoffs. All hands on deck as the going gets tougher and tougher from here on out.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Ail
k.

When he says AHL conditioning assignment, that has me thinking Sauer.

Any of the other three leftovers their AHL conditioning assignment would likely be a permanent one, unless someone was hurt again.

I don't think they'd send Staal down.

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Once Staal is good again, I would like to see him and MDZ on the first pair. Give McD and G some rest, and have them play like 20 minutes a night.

Sauer is in limbo

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
When Sauer is back I would say they have top pairing A and B to chose from

McDonaugh, Girardi
Staal, Sauer

for offense Del Zotto , Stralman

Eminger in for Stralman if they want more "JAM"

again Bickel does not play when its important the guy is getting waived. Good trooper but when everyone is healthy he is waived........same goes for Woywitka

After the All Star Break everyone hopefully is back on D
The kid has played really well in 14 NHL games and he's getting waived????

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You can never be too deep on the blue line as the injuries we have sustained show.
Absolutely agree. I think we are all looking forward to a healthy blue line.

McD-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
Staal-Eminger

Bickel and Stralman as needed. Woytitka is the odd man out.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:35 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
The kid has played really well in 14 NHL games and he's getting waived????
Really well and better than we thought are 2 different things. Eminger, Sauer, Woywitka, and Stralman are better. He's getting waived and hopefully he stays in the organization. At best right now, he is a #7 in the NHL for some team. He might get claimed by a team needing some snarl and toughness on D. I wouldn't be shocked if Tampa or even the Isles put a claim in on him.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Rangerfan4life90

I find Bickel to be better than Eminger and Woywitka and debatable with Stralman. If anything Woywitka should be waived.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Just wondering as an outsider fan, why wouldn't you go with:

McDonaugh - Girardi
Staal - Del Zotto
Stralman - Sauer

Wouldn't that be the best balance (Offense & Defense)?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

McDonaugh - Girardi
Staal - Del Zotto
Stralman - Sauer

We probably will end up going with exactly that.

I think I posted those exact pairing like a month ago.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 07:40 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Really well and better than we thought are 2 different things. Eminger, Sauer, Woywitka, and Stralman are better. He's getting waived and hopefully he stays in the organization. At best right now, he is a #7 in the NHL for some team. He might get claimed by a team needing some snarl and toughness on D. I wouldn't be shocked if Tampa or even the Isles put a claim in on him.
I think he's played really well and the coaches obviously did as well, considering he's averaging almost 11 min TOI per game even with his low minutes the last 2 games...never said he was better than anyone else...but for having only played 14 games I'll take him over Woywitka.

Old
01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
I think he's played really well and the coaches obviously did as well, considering he's averaging almost 11 min TOI per game even with his low minutes the last 2 games...never said he was better than anyone else...but for having only played 14 games I'll take him over Woywitka.
Since when is 11 minutes of ice time as a defenseman a sign of having your coach's confidence? Torts must've been telling him how confident he was in him the other night in Montreal when he was berating him for 30 seconds.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Since when is 11 minutes of ice time as a defenseman a sign of having your coach's confidence? Torts must've been telling him how confident he was in him the other night in Montreal when he was berating him for 30 seconds.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Yeah what was I thinking every rookie dman steps in and plays 20 minutes a night

Old
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Yeah what was I thinking every rookie dman steps in and plays 20 minutes a night
How much did McDonagh play last season? I'm not disagreeing with your point but the bottom line is that Torts doesn't play his third pairing much at all. He hasn't during his tenure here. I don't want to lose Bickel either but what are we going to do? Stralman has been pretty good. Woywitka, as much as some hate him I thought he was okay as well. Jeff is probably the odd man out though, that's for sure. After that perhaps we could keep a couple of healthy scratches. If we don't want to lose Bickel maybe we could keep him around all year in the press box in case someone got hurt? I don't know. I don't think the Rangers would do that with a 25 year old. I' think they'd risk losing him and giving him a chance somewhere else.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
How much did McDonagh play last season? I'm not disagreeing with your point but the bottom line is that Torts doesn't play his third pairing much at all. He hasn't during his tenure here. I don't want to lose Bickel either but what are we going to do? Stralman has been pretty good. Woywitka, as much as some hate him I thought he was okay as well. Jeff is probably the odd man out though, that's for sure. After that perhaps we could keep a couple of healthy scratches. If we don't want to lose Bickel maybe we could keep him around all year in the press box in case someone got hurt? I don't know. I don't think the Rangers would do that with a 25 year old. I' think they'd risk losing him and giving him a chance somewhere else.
And not every dman that comes up is McD, your comparing a 22 year old #1 pick 12th overall with and undrafted 25 year old? I never said he was a Top 4 guy but I think he's been solid, not great and he brings something nobody else on the D brings besides Sauer.

Old
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Woywitka has no future with this team. Hell be waived. Good riddance.

Eminger should be the one going to the AHL on a conditioning stint to see how we do with either Bickel or Stralman as the 6th, and either of them would be fine to carry as the healthy scratch 7th. Bickel and Stralman have been worlds better than Eminger on his best day.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:01 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
And not every dman that comes up is McD, your comparing a 22 year old #1 pick 12th overall with and undrafted 25 year old? I never said he was a Top 4 guy but I think he's been solid, not great and he brings something nobody else on the D brings besides Sauer.
But Sauer returning will be a big part of Bickel not having a spot. Obviously Sauer isn't as nasty physically and isn't going to drop the gloves as much, but he will if he has to. Like I said, I don't disagree with you, I'd love to keep Bickel. But what do you think we should do? Waive Stralman and Woywitka? I wouldn't freak out over it, but I don't see them waiving Stralman at this point.

Old
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Staal and MDZ both play the left side.

If you want to recreate another shutdown pair, you pair Staal with Sauer.

Name me one 2nd or 3rd line who will dictate play against those two.

MacIlrath shoots right. Maybe pair him next season with MDZ.

Left Right
Staal Sauer
Macdonagh Girardi
MDZ MacIlrath
Erixon Bickel

Something has to give.

Last edited by GWOW: 01-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.
GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Staal and MDZ both play the left side.

If you want to recreate another shutdown pair, you pair Staal with Sauer.

Name me one 2nd or 3rd line who will dictate play against those two.

MacIlrath shoots right. Maybe pair him next season with MDZ.

Left Right
Staal Sauer
Macdonagh Girardi
MDZ MacIlrath
Erixon Bickel

Something has to give.
They've played MDZ on the right with Staal the last two games. If he seems competent enough there defensively that pair might make sense for a long time to come considering it separates Staal and Girardi and puts an offensive presence next to Staal. McDonagh is going to get better and better offensively as well and him and Girardi are legit.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

McDonaugh - Girardi
Staal - Del Zotto
Stralman - Sauer

The issue for me, is that Del Zotto is a LD and is playing far too well for 3rd pairing minutes. Stralman is also a RD. But yeah, if MDZ and Stralman can both play on their off side this is pretty ideal for me.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
They've played MDZ on the right with Staal the last two games. If he seems competent enough there defensively that pair might make sense for a long time to come considering it separates Staal and Girardi and puts an offensive presence next to Staal. McDonagh is going to get better and better offensively as well and him and Girardi are legit.
This makes sense. In comparison to each other, Staal has low offensive output, and high defensive play. Del Zotto is the opposite, with high offese, and low (but still great) defense. McD and G ar both medium in each.

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

I don't see what the fuss is all about. There has been a 5 man rotation in quite a number of games since Staal came back. Some nights Del Zotto plays a lot of minutes (around 25), some nights Strålman has gotten more minutes (22-24) and Staal's minutes have been moving up over 18 minutes a game (although he's still catching up and has been slow in making decisions on the ice--something that should diminish as he plays more games and gets back into the flow). The one constant has been Girardi and McDonagh--they play together the majority of the time--although sometimes they will come out with different partners too after a power play.

When Sauer comes back he'll probably play less minutes than the other five defensemen for the first 10 games or so. It's not a big deal because the other 5 have been rotating together and have played with more than one partner. As for Eminger--it depends on whether he comes back before Sauer.

I'd keep McDonagh and Girardi together (all things being equal) and rotate the other four. If Eminger comes back before Sauer, then he can replace Bickel--who I don't want to see on the ice once Sauer is back too.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
But Sauer returning will be a big part of Bickel not having a spot. Obviously Sauer isn't as nasty physically and isn't going to drop the gloves as much, but he will if he has to. Like I said, I don't disagree with you, I'd love to keep Bickel. But what do you think we should do? Waive Stralman and Woywitka? I wouldn't freak out over it, but I don't see them waiving Stralman at this point.
I know there is gonna be a logjam once Sauer returns, I just like the element that Bickel brings and would prefer that Sauer not be fighting. This is much like the Avery debate, but without the drama, we are talking about a #7 dman, I think of Bickel as a better version of Strudwick. I would need to look at cap hits and ages but if you asked me a couple of weeks ago I would have easily said waive Stralman and Woywitka, but Stralman has grown on me and Woywitka doesn't have a big enough body of work IMO.