HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Good Ontario Team vs. Not Nearly as Good Ontario Team | Jan 17

Old
01-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Zedrow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicaFan View Post
I didn't get to see the game last night so I don't know how he played but I disagree with the bolded statement. Of course everyone gets lucky once in a while (I would have never predicted Milo to be near the top in goal scoring..at any point) but the majority of his goals have come from being in front of the net (rebounds, tip-ins or straight-up snipes). Pay the price and work hard in the dirty areas and players will be rewarded... and I guess having some skills would help as well
I agree. He plays the front of the net a lot and it pays off when we are taking a lot of shots on net. Lately we haven't been shooting as much and I think because of this he isn't getting any goals. If we go back to shooting the puck more often his scoring touch will be back.

Zedrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:21 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Really? a 13th forward? 30 point/year players who are defensively responsible and can play a shut-down role are not third line players? Kid of seems like the obvious place they'd go, actually.
I'm baffled by people who think Greening and Condra aren't "legit NHL players"....what?

Not every line can post 90 point players. Some guys have to go out there and kill penalties, chase the puck and take the body. Greening and Condra are those guys to a tee. Filling your line-up with skill players makes your team soft. Look no further than across the ice last night to see what happens when teams come in and start pushing you around.

Notice how this team has been able to punch it out with the likes of Philly? That's because of guys like Condra, Smith, K-Daug, etc. not in spite of them.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:26 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
I'm baffled by people who think Greening and Condra aren't "legit NHL players"....what?

Not every line can post 90 point players. Some guys have to go out there and kill penalties, chase the puck and take the body. Greening and Condra are those guys to a tee. Filling your line-up with skill players makes your team soft. Look no further than across the ice last night to see what happens when teams come in and start pushing you around.

Notice how this team has been able to punch it out with the likes of Philly? That's because of guys like Condra, Smith, K-Daug, etc. not in spite of them.
Solid stuff. I think maybe the though is there that Greening and Condra are not really top 6 guys. Condra is off-wing as well. I'd love to see a Greening - Smith - Condra line for a time. I think they could find chemistry and Greening outplays KDaug in this instance.

They could be a 3 or a 4 or even a 2 (on some nights), depending on the roll required

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
operasen

Following along on the above, we really need 2 more top 6 guys.

Spezza, Michalek, Turris and Alfredsson are 4 of them; Butler should be another if he can make the grade (so far not this season). Next year Zibanejad and Silfverberg should be in the discussion, maybe Stone and a body over in trade (Bailey was discussed elsewhere as a possible).

That releases Greening and Condra to play to their strengths

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Afro Thunder*

I think Hoffman is as close as Zibby and Silverberg to making it and has top 6 potential, he has a great shot, hit the post in his first game and looked very good even though playing with Konopka.

Can't wait to see what Petersson could do though.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:

I agree very much, but the Senators could badly use another offensive minded top 6 winger. It would have been nice if Regin stayed healthy or Butler found his game, but right now there is a hole.

The last thing I want is for Murray to trade away a bunch of future potential for a guy who will be UFA in a couple seasons, but if a lesser version ofthe Turris trade becomes available I wouldn't mind seeing him pull the trigger on that.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:29 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Really? a 13th forward? 30 point/year players who are defensively responsible and can play a shut-down role are not third line players? Kid of seems like the obvious place they'd go, actually.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Condra -- but I just don't think he's quite big enough or fast enough to play an energy line role over a full season, and I don't think he's skilled enough to play top-6.

Maybe 13th forward isn't quite the right term, because it implies that there are 12 better forwards. He's clearly a better hockey player than Jessie Winchester, who I see as a viable option to stick as your 4th line center for the entire season.

But I do still view him as a "utility" guy who will bounce across the 4 lines and see various levels of ice team over the course of the season.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:50 AM
OHNOclowe
The Thread Killer

that siegel guy said anderson "outdueled" riemer... I don't think it's that much of a duel seeing as andy saw 18 more shots... and didn't stink

nice to see the sens getting outshot all the time yet make the most of chances. the paulrus gets the most out of his ppl i'll say that for sure

OHNOclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Afro Thunder*

Condra and Greening are definitely NHLers, right now they are just keeping a spot in our top 6 warm until our prospects who have better hands and skill get here.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:05 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Sens should get a good rest before the playoffs seeing how they lead the league in games played
Yes, thats the positive side of this schedule.

They seem to be completely gassed right now and they have a game every other night on this road trip.

But after the All Star Break their schedule is much better and so long as they dont lose too much ground or get any injuries in Ca. they should be in good shape coming down the stretch.

This is better than all those years when they would have a week or so off in the first month and then a heavy schedule in March/April.

edit-the captains for the All Star game likley to be Alfie and Chara.
Good choice though I thought it might be Iggy.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:27 AM
TeamRenzo

Quote:

Agreed 100%, I cant believe Greening and Condra are taking heat from the fans

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
KT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOclowe View Post
that siegel guy said anderson "outdueled" riemer... I don't think it's that much of a duel seeing as andy saw 18 more shots... and didn't stink

nice to see the sens getting outshot all the time yet make the most of chances. the paulrus gets the most out of his ppl i'll say that for sure
It must have really hurt the TSN girly-man Leaf Cheerleader Siegel to admit that. He only writes to stoke the butt-hurt Leaf fans ego.

As for PGT, good on the boys for coming out and taking 2 points on the road after a tough schedule of late.

Good on the boys as well for turning the bi-polar Leaf board into a blathering mess of calls for Burkes head, Ron Wilsons head, the "SAVIOUR" Optimus-Reim's head.

Also, good on Foligno for showing everyone watching TSN how much of a wimp Dion Phaneuf is. Good thing there's nothing in his empty head to hurt on the ice after Foligno wiped him out.

If you can say one nice thing about the Leafs and their fans, it's that their blindness contributes to the overall NHL revenue in a nice, robbery sort of way.

Last edited by KT7: 01-18-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
I have to disagree with you guys. I don't think Carkner played bad really
Unfortunately he did.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

I think Greening has a home on this team for a long time. It remains to be seen if Condra does.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
DonFonso

loved last nights game my roommate is a leafs fan . Ive never seen him so sad haha this year is so fun after the crap i took from him last year

DonFonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:23 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrollhunter View Post
Michalek is overrated here, he had unbelieavable luck in his scoring early in the season.
Uh, how do you think we're rating him? ... As the big, 55+ point, 2-way winger we traded for or a Rocket contender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
I wonder how it feels to watch your favourite team playing to their maximum capability and then they still go on to lose the game (against a team thats in cruising mode).

Seriously the leafs look like a team built on the concept of throwing **** on the wall and seeing what sticks. Why didnt they build through the draft? O well, not my problem cant wait to see them ship out kadri and schenn for another fundamentally flawed player and then give that player a letter.
Everytime the Leafs fall out of the playoffs, you just can't believe the lack of capspace, prospects or unfulfilled potential on the roster.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I think Greening has a home on this team for a long time. It remains to be seen if Condra does.

These 2 guys are a big reason we are winning, imagine Butler or Foligno on the top line, Greening can keep up with , he plays his role perfectly, he goes to the net and ties up D and battles in front of the goalie = he's really balanced our top line and we're lucky we have him

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Condra and Greening are definitely NHLers, right now they are just keeping a spot in our top 6 warm until our prospects who have better hands and skill get here.
Who would you say could replace them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I agree, Greening can play on any line & compliment other players, he does a lot of things that people just don't notice. He's a keeper & NHL people are starting to notice & talk about him more. Condra has a contract for next season & could be gone at next yr's trade deadline.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Lehner
HFBoards Sponsor

So much wrong in this thread on leafs board: (About Turris)

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1084021

Made me laugh and face palm a few times.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
JustinYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post

Why would Gardiner hold as much\more value than Rundblad? I'm legitimately curious as I don't see him play.

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post

Holy christ, they really are all stupid.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Why would Gardiner hold as much\more value than Rundblad? I'm legitimately curious as I don't see him play.
Of course he doesn't. Gardiner is better for the big league right now but Rundblad have a higher upside. I would guess Leafs fans who thinks Gardiner is worth more or the same as Rundblad are the same ones who thought Aulie was worth more or the same as Cowen last year.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Who would you say could replace them?

I agree, Greening can play on any line & compliment other players, he does a lot of things that people just don't notice. He's a keeper & NHL people are starting to notice & talk about him more. Condra has a contract for next season & could be gone at next yr's trade deadline.
Umm how about almost everyone we picked in last year's draft in the first 2 rounds plus Silverberg, Petersson, Hoffman etc. Were drafted because of their top 6 upside and will replace Cobdra and Greening in those lines. I wouldnt be surprised If Petersson pushes himself and puts condra back on the bottom 6 at the end of the season. I can almost gurantee that Silverberg will replace Greening on that line by mid season or even 20 games into next season.

Old
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Minister of Offence

The Leaf fans just wanna believe so bad that they have something on us. As soon as something good comes around (Gardiner), they immediately think he must be better than what we have.

The hilarity was that instead of talking about the 11 points in 15 games Turris has in Ottawa, since asking to get out of a situation that was terrible for him, they clinged to his 3 goals in 21 games this year.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Spongetoe

Gardiner > Rundblad. Fact. Tools...

Spongetoe is offline   Reply With Quote