HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Imagine how good this team would be...

Old
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Imagine how good this team would be...

if they had an average power play.

26th ranked team in terms of power play goals scored. 26th. terrible.

Just imagine if this team had an average power play, say about 15th.

That would account for ~6 more goals scored. That could me, using simple math, about 3-4 more points in the standings. (if youre using goal differential to run those numbers)

If they had a good power play(~5th in the league maybe?), you'd probably be looking at ~11 more goals scored, and ~6-7 more points in the standings. Sounds like a little bit, but actually, it's some major separation there. If the rangers had 6-7 more points in the standings, they'd be up by 20 points on the 9th place team, and be well on their way to securing the presidents trophy, and for a team that plays VERY well at home, that's a big deal.

i know it sounds like nitpicking, but to me, if this team could fix this power play (and im honestly not sure how to do it with the way they run their offensive schemes) they could turn the corner from being "one of" the best teams in the NHL, to being "THE" best team in the NHL.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:25 PM
WeWillWinTonight

They'll come around they have to

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

They've been trying to fix the powerplay for three quarters of my life. I'm 20.

At this point it's just wake me when they actually do it.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:28 PM
ruckus*

If, if, if.

There's nothing we can do about the first half of the season. The only thing we can do is try and fix things for the second half. The problem is that under this coaching staff we haven't shown an ability to do that on the power play. I hope it doesn't kill us come the post season but with how close these games and teams are nowadays the chances are that it will. This team's biggest problem is that they can't set up in the zone. It always seems something happens. They lose the faceoff and then can't gain the zone until several attempts. They win the face off and then no one moves, no one makes passes, and after thirty seconds are wasted off the clock and we've dumped it around the boards four times the other team gets the puck and clears.

This power play is an absolute disaster. It makes no sense with guys like Richards and Stepan and Gaborik and Del Zotto. At this point I would do everything in my power to put those guys together on the power play in some way, shape, or form. We need to get this going. Torts needs to have more patience with personnel, or he needs to actually create a system that produces opportunities. For a coach that doesn't want to talk about offense though, I'm highly skeptical of the latter happening.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
It was like the Bruins last year, hopefully we don't do a trade similar to theirs when they got Kaberle

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I don't know what the problem is.

We have players with the tools needed to have at least an average power play. There's no reason we should be at the bottom.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Rangerfan4life90

05-06 season we had a top 10 powerplay I believe. Since that season I believe it's been brutal to watch.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
bmw2004

Maybe coaching? I don't see this famous shot on the point by Brad Richards. I thought he was good at it.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

isn't that why brad richards is here?

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Imagine how much calmer this board would be without the repetitive threads about the powerplay.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:02 PM
bmw2004

Imagine how much better this team could be without repetitive failure on the powerless play?

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

It's encouraging that we can be better in a lot of different areas yet are continuing to win games.

Richards has been awful QB'ing the Power Play. Time to split him and Del Zotto. Maybe give Stralman or McDonagh more of a look.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:43 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

That would account for ~6 more goals scored. That could me, using simple math, about 3-4 more points in the standings. (if youre using goal differential to run those numbers)

If they had a good power play(~5th in the league maybe?), you'd probably be looking at ~11 more goals scored, and ~6-7 more points in the standings. Sounds like a little bit, but actually, it's some major separation there. If the rangers had 6-7 more points in the standings, they'd be up by 20 points on the 9th place team, and be well on their way to securing the presidents trophy, and for a team that plays VERY well at home, that's a big deal.

i know it sounds like nitpicking, but to me, if this team could fix this power play (and im honestly not sure how to do it with the way they run their offensive schemes) they could turn the corner from being "one of" the best teams in the NHL, to being "THE" best team in the NHL.
Forget all that mumbo jumbo, it's how good they could be if cherapanov never passed away.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:12 PM
trueblue30nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Forget all that mumbo jumbo, it's how good they could be if cherapanov never passed away.
Or if they had picked literally ANYONE other than Huge Specimen in 2003.

trueblue30nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Other areas of their game would certainly be sharpened as well. A good power play comes from good passing, good positioning, and of course, good shot selection. If we could translate that from full-strength play to our man advantages, we'd be beastly.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:26 PM
tjs252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
05-06 season we had a top 10 powerplay I believe. Since that season I believe it's been brutal to watch.
Jagr had 24 of our 83 PP goals (29%). Almost certainly the best single season in Ranger history, kind of hard to replicate that.

The PP was never fixed we just had, arguably, one of the 5 most talented pure offensive players in team history have one of his best seasons of his then already HoF career.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

I see 2 problems with the powerplay. No movement, and nobody on the point is scaring the pk, hence our powerplay is easier to defend.
Park a big body in front, take shots and swarm for rebounds, that's how I would try to solve it.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I see 2 problems with the powerplay. No movement, and nobody on the point is scaring the pk, hence our powerplay is easier to defend.
Park a big body in front, take shots and swarm for rebounds, that's how I would try to solve it.
Our PP is just stagnant. We can't get anything going. Knowing us presently, we'd get burned by the other team down-ice if we swarmed for rebounds. That's relying too much on the D. While they've been good, it's hard to stop a 3 on 2, especially if the line is crafty.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:50 PM
trilobyte

The lethal powerplay of the days of Straka, Nylander, Jagr was really something. Those guys were so good at holding on to the puck, and so good at passing it quickly to another guy who was so good at getting open....sigh....the comparison does not even fit with this team.
Those guys only stopped moving when it was to their advantage. Other than that, constant motion, freelancing. Not this rigid thing where the pointy end of the attack comes from behind the net or the halfboards, trying to get this magic pass through which never works. They liked the high slot.
I don't really think the powerplay will improve to middle of the pack, but even if it improves at all, that would be a boost.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Our PP is just stagnant. We can't get anything going. Knowing us presently, we'd get burned by the other team down-ice if we swarmed for rebounds. That's relying too much on the D. While they've been good, it's hard to stop a 3 on 2, especially if the line is crafty.
The pk is already collapsing as it is, having a 3 on 2 against is certainly possible, but remote. If that occurs, it would mean we had a 3 on 1 down low. I will take my chances with those odds.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue30nyr View Post
Giddy up!!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
They'll come around they have to
Why do they "have" to? Nothing with this current setup has indicated that anything is going to happen anytime soon. I mean, it hasn't for the last decade+..

They just don't know how to work a PP. Everyone seems to just grow roots and stands almost completely stationary. How are you going to open up lanes like that? Do SOMETHING. Move SOMEWHERE.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue30nyr View Post
Taking Sanguinetti one pick ahead of Claude Giroux in 2006 is going to turn out to be an even bigger whiff.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Stepanformayor*

I realize it's only 1 game again folks, but i'm telling you right now don't let yourselves get too cozy with this team cause there only going break your heart.. There's no way this team.. as it stands tonight has any realistic chance of advancing very far in the playoffs..This team just doesn't have the horses to compete once the playoffs begin and all the other teams ramp up their intensity by 10 fold..Too many forwards who take up space-The lack of legitimate goal scoring-Lousy PP-and a defense that IMO... is far too soft.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
I realize it's only 1 game again folks, but i'm telling you right now don't let yourselves get too cozy with this team cause there only going break your heart.. There's no way this team.. as it stands tonight has any realistic chance of advancing very far in the playoffs..This team just doesn't have the horses to compete once the playoffs begin and all the other teams ramp up their intensity by 10 fold..Too many forwards who take up space-The lack of legitimate goal scoring-Lousy PP-and a defense that IMO... is far too soft.
This team still has the ability to make it to the conference finals at least but after that it's a question mark.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote