HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Panthers @ Avs/ Jan 18th 7:30MT

Old
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Ugh so annoyed by having played most games in the league.
Same.

I want to happy that they're in 8th, but having the most games played kind of dampens my spirit.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Duchene-Stastny-Mueller line can be nasty

also a comment on the Stastnt hate:

hockey is a mental game. When Staz is played with grinders and individualistic players like Dutchy and he doesnt score, do you expect his confidence to remain high? Give him some more games like this and we will see if he is a "3rd line player"

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Sadly good guys, doesn't mean good hockey players. If it did Brisbois would be the best player in history.

Lappy, dude!

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitch View Post
Hes tied for the team lead in goals, tied for second in total points, and has the best face-off percentage on the team. Sure he could be having a better offensive season, but what more do you want?
He's on pace to match his worse goal scoring season( not counting his 45 game season)not by much but still. On pace for his worst statistical season. He's being out produced in assists by a defender many think is underachieving and another defender people want to trade. Again, it's not just his offensive production that has gone down, his overall game has deteriorated in the past year. Those who cannot see it, do not want to.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Foppa2118

So great to see Mules have a good game and a couple of goals. He really looked like a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders after that first goal.

Didn't see the game, but from the highlights it really looked like Giggy was off his game pretty bad. I wonder if Varly starts the next game despite the win.

For those that caught the game, did they stick with the Mueller-Staz-Jones line? I couldn't understand why they didn't put that together sooner, and had Mueller playing on the 3rd line with Gali, despite him still getting chances there. What a wonder it was that Staz had another good game playing with guys that can find the open ice and shoot the puck. They are absolutely wasting his talent doing otherwise.

BTW, as if we needed it, we were reminded once again how dangerous our PP can be with Mules on the left point. It will be interesting to see where Dutchy fits into the even strength and PP lines once he gets back. Might end up playing wing with Gali at center.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

I don't post often, but man...what a game! Mueller counters the bad bounces on the Avs end, great chances...hopefully the Avs carry some momentum past the ASB.

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
So if Mueller stays healthy, who gets bumped out of the top 6 when Dutchy comes back? All 6 of those guys have been playing well. Gali is great to have up their doing heavy lifting for Staz and Mueller. I'd ideally like to get Duchene back at center but we don't have enough depth at wing for that.

As for Stastny, he's definitely not played anywhere close to his abilities this season, but his dip in production is probably also exacerbated by the teams anemic offense over the last 10-11 months. This years team in particular is clearly not really constructed for offensive success, in terms of personnel or system.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Sitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
He's on pace to match his worse goal scoring season( not counting his 45 game season)not by much but still. On pace for his worst statistical season. He's being out produced in assists by a defender many think is underachieving and another defender people want to trade. Again, it's not just his offensive production that has gone down, his overall game has deteriorated in the past year. Those who cannot see it, do not want to.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree for the time being then.

I personally feel that Stastny is our best forward at fighting along the boards for the puck. He always seems to be able to protect the puck and get a pass off. I remember in one of the Nashville games, he was able to shrug off both Weber and Suter to get out from behind the net and then get a centering pass off.

Sitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Also everyone's already mentioned but Erik Johnson was incredible tonight. He's played more good games than bad in the last while and today was just completely dominant.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post

As for Stastny, he's definitely not played anywhere close to his abilities this season, but his dip in production is probably also exacerbated by the teams anemic offense over the last 10-11 months. This years team in particular is clearly not really constructed for offensive success, in terms of personnel or system.
Well said. I'm not really too interested in moving Stastny even if there wasn't a salary cap issue with the trade. Hes not the kindof guy who can carry an offense night in and night out. If the Avs add another skill forward in addition to getting Mueller back I'm sure he could get close to the 70-75ish he put up a few years back.

Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
So if Mueller stays healthy, who gets bumped out of the top 6 when Dutchy comes back? All 6 of those guys have been playing well. Gali is great to have up their doing heavy lifting for Staz and Mueller. I'd ideally like to get Duchene back at center but we don't have enough depth at wing for that.

I think we can make decent lines with Duchene at center. The problem becomes managing ice time. I think both Stastny and O'Reilly does better with closer to 19-20 minutes/game.

Galiardi-Stastny-Mueller
Jones-Duchene-Hejduk
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Winnik
McLeod-McClement-Kobasew
Porter, van der Gulik

Anyway, someone will get banged up and the pleasant problem of having too many forwards in the top six solves itself.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Also everyone's already mentioned but Erik Johnson was incredible tonight. He's played more good games than bad in the last while and today was just completely dominant.
Really dominant in the last few games but it doesn't matter because Shattenkirk is more dominant.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:05 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Another positive note is that Daniel Winnik's ice time is reduced to a 3rd line grinders ice time which is what he is.
Yea it's funny how that change coincided with the team playing better. It eerily feels like someone saw that stat when made a TSN story, and had to tell Sacco they'll never turn things around if they aren't giving their best players the most ice time.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:09 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think we can make decent lines with Duchene at center. The problem becomes managing ice time. I think both Stastny and O'Reilly does better with closer to 19-20 minutes/game.

Galiardi-Stastny-Mueller
Jones-Duchene-Hejduk
McLeod-McClement-Kobasew
Porter, van der Gulik

Anyway, someone will get banged up and the pleasant problem of having too many forwards in the top six solves itself.
It's an interesting problem because O'reilly has been far and away our best center but is also the one most suited for playing a 3rd line role and has that chemistry with Landeskog and Winnik.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Foppa2118

deleted

Old
01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
So great to see Mules have a good game and a couple of goals. He really looked like a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders after that first goal.

Didn't see the game, but from the highlights it really looked like Giggy was off his game pretty bad. I wonder if Varly starts the next game despite the win.

For those that caught the game, did they stick with the Mueller-Staz-Jones line? I couldn't understand why they didn't put that together sooner, and had Mueller playing on the 3rd line with Gali, despite him still getting chances there. What a wonder it was that Staz had another good game playing with guys that can find the open ice and shoot the puck. They are absolutely wasting his talent doing otherwise.

BTW, as if we needed it, we were reminded once again how dangerous our PP can be with Mules on the left point. It will be interesting to see where Dutchy fits into the even strength and PP lines once he gets back. Might end up playing wing with Gali at center.
Giguere is one of the reasons why we got two points. He made some big saves. Panthers scored some flukey goals tonight.

Galiardi-Stastny-Mueller were together for the entire game and they were easily the best line on the ice. I think Jones was with McClement and Winnik.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Giguere is one of the reasons why we got two points. He made some big saves. Panthers scored some flukey goals tonight.

Galiardi-Stastny-Mueller were together for the entire game and they were easily the best line on the ice. I think Jones was with McClement and Winnik.
Well that's good to hear, although from reviewing the replays, I'd say only the third one was really flukey. And even then it looked like he was a little slow in reacting, despite it being a funny bounce. He is 34 though after all.

The first goal he should have had his paddle down better or something to protect that five hole. The second one, piss poor defensive play aside, he looked to kind of bail out to the side away from the contact (which I suppose is somewhat natural) and the puck was knocked in subsequently since he wasn't there to hold the puck out after the initial leg save.

Not really horrible goals, especially the second one which I would give a pass to, but he just didn't look comfortable to me from the replays. Good to hear he was solid the rest of the way.

So did they play Mules-Staz-Jones together at all tonight, or were those line reported earlier not correct? Was Mules on the right or Gali? Gali's looked ok this year in his spurts on the right, but I can't remember how Mueller looked when they tried him there. I want to say he didn't look nearly as dangerous, despite him being a righty. If he can play well on the right though, it's something that will be a huge benefit once Dutchy gets back though.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:21 AM
avacol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Well that's good to hear, although from reviewing the replays, I'd say only the third one was really flukey. And even then it looked like he was a little slow in reacting, despite it being a funny bounce. He is 34 though after all.

The first goal he should have had his paddle down better or something to protect that five hole. The second one, piss poor defensive play aside, he looked to kind of bail out to the side away from the contact (which I suppose is somewhat natural) and the puck was knocked in subsequently since he wasn't there to hold the puck out after the initial leg save.

Not really horrible goals, especially the second one which I would give a pass to, but he just didn't look comfortable to me from the replays. Good to hear he was solid the rest of the way.
The first goal didn't go through his five hole. It bounced off of a skate and went in at the farside post, he really didn't have a chance on that one. The highlights don't show the replay so it's hard to see what happened.

avacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacol View Post
The first goal didn't go through his five hole. It bounced off of a skate and went in at the farside post, he really didn't have a chance on that one. The highlights don't show the replay so it's hard to see what happened.
Interesting, it does look like that's what happened now that I look again. However, not to nitpick too much (because I would consider this more of a big save they needed rather than a bad goal to give up) but I would say that ideally he should have been able to flash his pad quicker, since it takes that much longer for the puck to get to the far post than five hole. It didn't redirect and go in crazy quick, but I admit it was a bit of a tough save.

Old
01-19-2012, 05:07 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

worst possible outcome for caps fans (yes, I thoroughly believe they'd rather have florida win than us other than the guy who's sort of becoming an avs fan)

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:54 AM
croAVSfan*

I don't post that often, but I just saw highlights and it was nice comeback by the AVS. I am very glad that Mueller scored two goals, hope he will be old, pre-conccussion, Mueller for the rest of the season.

p.s. sorry for my bad english

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Galiardi-Stastny-Mueller
Jones-Duchene-Hejduk
McLeod-McClement-Kobasew
Porter, van der Gulik

Right now I'd rather go with something like this.
In my opinion Radar has to play top6 hockey right now.

Duchene - Stastny - Mueller
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Galiardi - McClement - Jones
Winnik - van der Gulik - Kobasew

That's a pretty good offense there I think.
Where would you put Olver in (would you?) if he was ready to go soon? Doesn't seem like a no-brainer any longer.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Scarbossa

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Ugh so annoyed by having played most games in the league.
Don't worry...we play a game Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday. Then, we have a week off!

Scarbossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kschey View Post
Right now I'd rather go with something like this.
In my opinion Radar has to play top6 hockey right now.

Duchene - Stastny - Mueller
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Galiardi - McClement - Jones
Winnik - van der Gulik - Kobasew

That's a pretty good offense there I think.
Where would you put Olver in (would you?) if he was ready to go soon? Doesn't seem like a no-brainer any longer.
I'd put Olver in Jones' spot. I don't see Jones coming back next season.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I'd put Olver in Jones' spot. I don't see Jones coming back next season.
Yeah, I agree Jones won't be back next year although I'm not sure Olver will be in the line-up.

Anyway I was thinking about the line-up for the rest of the season as soon as Duchene is ready to go again.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote