HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Old
01-19-2012, 08:13 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
I'm going to get massively flamed for this but I'd seriously consider seeing what we could get for Carey Price. If we could get a young impact player (like a Jordan Eberle), I would take the chance on moving him and trying to sign Josh Harding when he hits UFA on July 1st (I'd trade a conditional 7th or something for his rights early, just so I could get first bid on him before Tampa Bay tries something with him - offer him a deal he can't refuse - something like $15M/5-years).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm very afraid of what gauthier might do at the deadline. Not that his trades up til now haven't been good, or at the very least passable, but one can do stupid things when he's about to lose his job.
To be honest I think it's just as likely you are right that OneSharpMarble is right.

It's a real crap shoot. We don't really know what mode Molson is in. If he's in "playoff push" mode like some of our fans, then yeah Gauthier is done like dinner. If he's in "retool/rebuild" mode, then I think Gauthier is safe for at least one more season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I'm going to get massively flamed for this but I'd seriously consider seeing what we could get for Carey Price. If we could get a young impact player (like a Jordan Eberle), I would take the chance on moving him and trying to sign Josh Harding when he hits UFA on July 1st (I'd trade a conditional 7th or something for his rights early, just so I could get first bid on him before Tampa Bay tries something with him - offer him a deal he can't refuse - something like $15M/5-years).
I don't deny you will likely get flamed, and I can actually see where you're coming from. However I think this type of move would be a mistake if only because I think the time to trade Carey would have been during Halak vs Price. I think his value as "Carey Price" alone would've yielded a very solid return. Maybe now a days we could get more but I just think the timing is wrong. We had the replacement we needed, Harding is good and all but I can't imagine how bad this city would get if we dealt Price and then Harding + Eberle for example just simply failed here. Price is already known to be good in the locker room and is a good goalie.

I don't deny it though, it's intriguing anyways.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't think people realize we're 2-3 losses away max from being in 2nd to last or 3rd to last. This isn't one of those "push for the playoff" moments imo. That ship has long sailed. It's one of those "get a high pick, sell off UFA and retool" moments.

Now obviously if the Habs go 10-0-0 over their next 10 my mind might change, I believe this team has underperformed vastly considering their talent and makeup, mistakes and distractions were made and it didn't help the case. However it's time for a reality check. No offense to Natey, Coldplay & co, I admire their optimism for the playoffs, I just don't see it happening. If we end up in the lottery it's going to be one hell of an exciting draft. Imagine we pick top 3 or even 1st? Holy ****, HFboards would crash if we got Grigorenko or Yakupov.
I won't speak for other optimists like me, but I thought the season was in play this week (caps, pens, leafs). Starting with a loss and not being able to score a goal last night settles it for me, no playoffs this year.

Though, you point out that the team has underperformed, and I agree, thus I think we won't draft top 5, as their are plenty of hockey games still to play.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
I'm going to get massively flamed for this but I'd seriously consider seeing what we could get for Carey Price.
That's not saying real much. I'd consider seeing what we could get for any player on our team. However, Eberle for Price? I'd want a bit more.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
habsfan92

Wouldnt it be icing on the cake if we get a top 5 and we take a defenceman?

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
To be honest I think it's just as likely you are right that OneSharpMarble is right.

It's a real crap shoot. We don't really know what mode Molson is in. If he's in "playoff push" mode like some of our fans, then yeah Gauthier is done like dinner. If he's in "retool/rebuild" mode, then I think Gauthier is safe for at least one more season.
Molson said that his goal is to make the playoffs each year... Gauthier will do everything to achieve this goal and yes it's scary...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:21 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
That's not saying real much. I'd consider seeing what we could get for any player on our team. However, Eberle for Price? I'd want a bit more.
Well I'm assuming they'd toss in Dubnyk for a bit of a back-up plan for us in-case we couldn't sign Harding.

Eberle is a game-changer. I've watched the Oilers quite a bit this season because they're pretty exciting to watch and Eberle is the real deal.

When is the last time we had a player who could consistently put up 80+ points per year? That's what Eberle will be.

A top-6 of;

Patches - DD - Cole
Bourque - Pleks - Eberle

would be amazing.

Old
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:

I know it might not sound credible, but Deep_Throat and The_Creasy on twitter came off categorical (but so are tweets in general) at saying that PG had left the press box after the 2nd period, pissed off, and apparently selling mode is on.

They reported this a few minutes apart. DT claiming the season was in play in the 3rd, and the habs didn't even manage to score a goal in a 6 minutes powerplay.

That may give you a hint about what PG is planning.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Patccmoi

Personally what I hope for is follow the Flyers model mostly, i.e. get one really bad year, get one high top pick, but go back to a decent team quickly.

I don't think everything needs to be blown up in the sense that I think our team is much better than what we see on the ice right now. But they're having a collectively bad year and are deflated now and most know they just won't make the playoffs so they are disheartened and play much worse than what they can (see Plek for a good example...). I think that we got some solid core pieces overall with Price, Subban, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Eller, Gorges, and some decent support pieces with AK, Cole, maybe Bourque, Desharnais (although these 4 I would trade for an overpayment, though I wouldn't mind keeping any of them cause I think in a solid team DD could be a great 3rd center to eat up opposition's 3rd-4th line and AK despite his inconsistency is actually a fairly consistent 20-25 goals scorer), maybe Diaz/Emelin, and imo the rest is all material you can give away for picks/prospects because easily replaceable.

I REALLY wish that they kick Gauthier out of there because I think he would be an aweful guy for a fire sale, because him and Gainey are just aweful traders. They're not that bad for finding talent, but they keep giving way too much for what they're getting in return. And basically a GM that is trying to save his ass should never be left in charge of a long term plan, just get the new GM now and let him retool the way he wants.

I really hope that this is how Molson sees it and that whenever it's clear that the Habs won't make the playoffs (which it should be now, but could give him until the end of January...) he will move on the GM and not let him in charge of the sale.

But ya, for me officially this is a tanking season now. I hope for entertaining games, and whenever I watch a game I can't help but cheer for them to win it, but in the end I still wish they manage to screw up every game in some ways, or hell even get robbed repeatedly by refs, just so that they can finish with a top 5 pick. There's 3-4 offensive prospects available in the top 5 that would greatly improve this team in the area it is lacking the most imo : finishing.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:23 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I don't deny you will likely get flamed, and I can actually see where you're coming from. However I think this type of move would be a mistake if only because I think the time to trade Carey would have been during Halak vs Price. I think his value as "Carey Price" alone would've yielded a very solid return. Maybe now a days we could get more but I just think the timing is wrong. We had the replacement we needed, Harding is good and all but I can't imagine how bad this city would get if we dealt Price and then Harding + Eberle for example just simply failed here. Price is already known to be good in the locker room and is a good goalie.

I don't deny it though, it's intriguing anyways.
Zero chance that Eberle fails.

On the same boat, I have no idea how Harding would far but he's definitely got #1 potential, if he's not there already.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
icerocket

Trading Price or Subban is dumb.

Everyone else is tradable.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Captain Saku

Who are the top 10 projected players for the next draft? Could someone give a small description of each player's type?

As of today we're at no. 7, let's be real though, I doubt we're gonna draft top 5. However, I could see a possibility to trade for a higher position if let's say the Oilers are at #3 and they rather draft a defenseman.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Well I'm assuming they'd toss in Dubnyk for a bit of a back-up plan for us in-case we couldn't sign Harding.

Eberle is a game-changer. I've watched the Oilers quite a bit this season because they're pretty exciting to watch and Eberle is the real deal.

When is the last time we had a player who could consistently put up 80+ points per year? That's what Eberle will be.

A top-6 of;

Patches - DD - Cole
Bourque - Pleks - Eberle

would be amazing.
I doubt the Oilers would be willing to part ways with Eberle anyways, but if so, interesting... And Price's value is high, all-star game helps that out. Would be intriguing to see the possibilities with Price on the trading block. Having said that, I felt weird writing that. I'm not very in favor of it.

Last edited by PhysicX: 01-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Trading Price or Subban is dumb.

Everyone else is tradable.
Making any player untouchable is dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I doubt the Oilers would be willing to part ways with Eberle anyways, but if so, interesting...
Very.

Like I said, it puts a question mark in net for us - but if we could sign Harding, I'd be very comfortable.

I doubt Edmonton would really want to do this either (let's be honest, they could just sign Harding but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Who are the top 10 projected players for the next draft? Could someone give a small description of each player's type?

As of today we're at no. 7, let's be real though, I doubt we're gonna draft top 5. However, I could see a possibility to trade for a higher position if let's say the Oilers are at #3 and they rather draft a defenseman.
You can easily find write-ups if you look around, but in the #7 spot I'd be looking at Brandon Gaunce from the Belleville Bulls. I've seen him plenty and I think he has all the tools to be a very good Top-6 forward.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Making any player untouchable is dumb.
So we are gonna trade our young players for other people's young players.

Great way to rebuild.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Who would you sign to be the starting goalie after signing Harding to occupy the IR for the year?

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I don't think anybody should be untoucheable, but in order to trade Price or Subban it would have to be a ridiculous offer, both are approaching or entering their prime.

Trading Price for Eberle would be a sideways move.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Who would you sign to be the starting goalie after signing Harding to occupy the IR for the year?
Well we'd have Budaj and Dubnyk in reserve, so I'd be comfortable so long as it's not the 82-game injury he had last year. Besides that, he's never missed any serious amount of time due to injury. A few games here or there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think anybody should be untoucheable, but in order to trade Price or Subban it would have to be a ridiculous offer, both are approaching or entering their prime.

Trading Price for Eberle would be a sideways move.
If you look at it as Price for Eberle + Harding, it's not so sideways.

Harding might be a step down from Price, but he's not that big of a step down. Eberle would be our best and most productive forward instantly. So it would be a sideways move in that both would be our best player - but Price might be a little easier to replace then the chance of getting a PPG player.

Old
otto bond

Let's get a move on.

But this time, let's do it right.

IMO our core players are:
Price,Gionta,Subban,Plekanec,Gorges,Pacioretty,Mar kov,Cole and Desharnais.

Good vets and depth are:
Gill,Moen,Darche,Gomez,Kaberle , Bourque+ Kostitsyn,Campoli,Noks,White and Blunden

And our Youth: See 1/2 the core +Eller, Leblanc,Palushaj,Emelin,Weber,Diaz and a few more.

The main problem is our youth on defense with an odd balance. Our center position is very ordinary and lacks face off ability. We where lacking size and finish on the wing but now it's only finish(how many time have they been SO this years...more then I can remember) and this concludes with a team that plays on individuals basis and to many players doing there own thing.

Players I would be shopping are:
Plekanec,Gomez,Gionta,Gill,Kaberle,Eller,Weber,Dia z,Darche,Kostitsyn,Campoli and any player in our system not playing on the big club.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

These are the forwards that could go top-7 according to the latest CSS...

1-Yakupov
2-Grigorenko
3-Filip Forsberg
4-Radek Faksa (OHL)

Ds would be

1-Murray
2-Reilly
3-Maataa
4-Dumba

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
icerocket

Quote:
Well we'd have Budaj and Dubnyk in reserve, so I'd be comfortable so long as it's not the 82-game injury he had last year. Besides that, he's never missed any serious amount of time due to injury. A few games here or there.

If you look at it as Price for Eberle + Harding, it's not so sideways.

Harding might be a step down from Price, but he's not that big of a step down. Eberle would be our best and most productive forward instantly.
Eberle doesn't address our size needs at all.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:41 AM
patsbury

Quote:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_january2012/

Not sure if possible, but Habs should try to fetch another first rounder and try to trade for higher position (1st/2nd overall); this team desperately needs an offense superstar.

A little retooling ala Flyers. And trade players that has value (AKost, Moen, Gill (?), Weber & Campoli (??????)) for depth in our prospect pool or solid bottom-6 players. At least, trade those you do not expect to sign come july 1st. Can T. Ruutu play on the wing? If so, sign him.

Let's all remind you, this team is not as bad as it looks. Retool is the answer, not a full rebuild

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Eberle doesn't address our size needs at all.
Our size needs? We have two small forwards after Gomez is gone. TWO!

Who cares about size when it's a PPG player?

Old
01-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s_january2012/

Not sure if possible, but Habs should try to fetch another first rounder and try to trade for higher position (1st/2nd overall); this team desperately needs an offense superstar.

A little retooling ala Flyers. And trade players that has value (AKost, Moen, Gill (?), Weber & Campoli (??????)) for depth in our prospect pool or solid bottom-6 players. At least, trade those you do not expect to sign come july 1st. Can T. Ruutu play on the wing? If so, sign him.

Let's all remind you, this team is not as bad as it looks. Retool is the answer, not a full rebuild
I think everyone agrees with that, now more and more people are seeing that right now this team isn't good enough and are accepting the selling part. Now it's up to management to make us competitive for next season, the Flyers management was able with big moves that off season, let's see if our is capable

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
natey2k4[/B];42733583]I'm going to get massively flamed for this but I'd seriously consider seeing what we could get for Carey Price. If we could get a young impact player (like a Jordan Eberle), I would take the chance on moving him and trying to sign Josh Harding when he hits UFA on July 1st (I'd trade a conditional 7th or something for his rights early, just so I could get first bid on him before Tampa Bay tries something with him - offer him a deal he can't refuse - something like $15M/5-years).

----^-----
natey2k4??

If we're trading Price ,I don't want GAUTHIER the one driving that trade....saying that I don't see Price traded, Josh already said Habs and him working new deal.
I wouldn't be SURPRISED to see the Habs try to get Martin Brodeur next year.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote