HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our Centre situation for the future [ALL CENTRE DEPTH DISCUSSION]

View Poll Results: What do we do?
Draft a number one center and trade Plekanec for a key missing piece? 31 41.33%
Draft a number one center and trade Eller? 2 2.67%
Draft a number one center and trade Desharnais? 10 13.33%
Draft a number one center and shift Deshairnais to wing? 20 26.67%
Keep our existing centers and draft a winger or defenseman? 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
????-Plekanec-Eller

We get Grigorenko and center depth is perfect.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
neofury*

I know a lot of folks love DD but I would not be shocked to see him traded for a really good deal. Something like 2nd + prospect + other (low pick, once highly touted prospect who fell off, roster player 4th liner who can scrap, etc)

I'd imagine some teams are heavily scouting this guy.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I know a lot of folks love DD but I would not be shocked to see him traded for a really good deal. Something like 2nd + prospect + other (low pick, once highly touted prospect who fell off, roster player 4th liner who can scrap, etc)

I'd imagine some teams are heavily scouting this guy.
You know, if we can land a top center in some way (draft, trade, UFA...) I would actually prefer to keep DD and trade one of Plek or Eller.

I think that these 2 have more value (an undersized player will nearly never get you his worth back), and that DD is actually perfect for a 3rd-line center role if you go for scoring depth (which we need to do because we lack high-end talent to rely on 1-2 lines).

When used in an offensive context against the opposition lower lines he turns nearly any winger into good offensive weapon. And I think that he's a good PP weapon too, no matter how it looks like this year (our whole PP is a mess). What you would need is a better #1 offensive center, and keep Eller or Plek as a #2 defensive center that can still produce and perform on the PK, then you have DD as a 3rd-line center that can really improve your scoring depth (kinda like the role Briere had with the Flyers behind Carter and Richards, making guys like Leino produce much more than they usually would).

I think that Plek or Eller in a package deal could actually net you a very nice return.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I really like DD but he isn't a #2 center. Unless we get something absolutely unbelievable for Plekanec, I would prefer keeping him. He is a great #2 center but in Montreal is being asked to be a #1 which he is not

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:04 AM
JohnLennon

Plekanec is having a tough season, but Gomez has looked VERY good these past two games. Eller has been pretty invisible, but Desharnais has been awesome all season. So at this point right now we have Gomez and DD playing well, but Pleks and Eller struggling. Then we also have Nokia, who has shown he can be a respectable fourth line center. Really tough situation, but if I had to choose to trade one center I would say Pleks because he would get a great return, we would lose the contract and he has been struggling since the beginning of the season. If it were up to me though, I wouldn't make any trades. Let Plekanec struggle, we all know how good he is when he is at his best. Let Eller develop, he's still young. Let Gomez continue to show us he can be the best player on the ice if he wants to be. Let Desharnais to continue to dominate the opposing team offensively and prove his critics wrong. I like our depth at center.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Plekanec is having a tough season, but Gomez has looked VERY good these past two games. Eller has been pretty invisible, but Desharnais has been awesome all season. So at this point right now we have Gomez and DD playing well, but Pleks and Eller struggling. Then we also have Nokia, who has shown he can be a respectable fourth line center. Really tough situation, but if I had to choose to trade one center I would say Pleks because he would get a great return, we would lose the contract and he has been struggling since the beginning of the season. If it were up to me though, I wouldn't make any trades. Let Plekanec struggle, we all know how good he is when he is at his best. Let Eller develop, he's still young. Let Gomez continue to show us he can be the best player on the ice if he wants to be. Let Desharnais to continue to dominate the opposing team offensively and prove his critics wrong. I like our depth at center.
You have strange definitions of the words ''very good'', ''awesome'' and ''dominate''

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
TheBuriedHab

If we can Draft and cultivate a young Offensive Center like Grigorkeno or Galchenyuk to be a number 1 center, suddenly Plekanec becomes one of, if not the best 2nd line center in the league. Get a number 1 center in the draft and things will turn around in the future.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
????-Plekanec-Eller

We get Grigorenko and center depth is perfect.
Grigorenko would be nice, but I still think its unlikely the Habs drop to the #1-2 spot in the draft. I see them more likely to draft around #4-#8, but there are still some interesting looking players beyond Grigorenko/Yakupov, like Forsberg and Gaunce. I've actually been reading more about Gaunce lately and he sounds like a stud.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Ginu

Desharnais's proven me wrong. He was our top centerman last night with 48% faceoff winning percentage and he keeps getting better and better. I'd honestly shift him to the wing to give us some size down the middle. He's become too valuable to lose and you always need centerman in the playoffs. I'd give him Gionta's spot on the top 2 lines.

Pacioretty - x - Desharnais
x - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Kostitsyn

Hopefully the draft addresses one of these two spots for us.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
You know, if we can land a top center in some way (draft, trade, UFA...) I would actually prefer to keep DD and trade one of Plek or Eller.

I think that these 2 have more value (an undersized player will nearly never get you his worth back), and that DD is actually perfect for a 3rd-line center role if you go for scoring depth (which we need to do because we lack high-end talent to rely on 1-2 lines).

When used in an offensive context against the opposition lower lines he turns nearly any winger into good offensive weapon. And I think that he's a good PP weapon too, no matter how it looks like this year (our whole PP is a mess). What you would need is a better #1 offensive center, and keep Eller or Plek as a #2 defensive center that can still produce and perform on the PK, then you have DD as a 3rd-line center that can really improve your scoring depth (kinda like the role Briere had with the Flyers behind Carter and Richards, making guys like Leino produce much more than they usually would).

I think that Plek or Eller in a package deal could actually net you a very nice return.
I understand and respect your reasoning however I like those two guys cause they both bring a good two-way game and have some size.

Also I think a team like Tampa would jump all over the opportunity to have him for some reason, Yzerman seems to love our players and team

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Roulin

IMO the center position has not been a weakness for the Habs this season. Of course, it could always be stronger, but if I blame one position, the D corps is what sunk the season. I wouldn't address current needs through the draft anyway. Draft the best player available, acquire some veteran blue liners, and go with the current group of centers unless an upgrade presents itself.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
blueinmtl

Why wouldn't we package Plecks for a #1 ctr? He's the only player likely to fetch someone. Groom Eller as the #2. Draft a huge powerful winger.

Plecks, a winger (if AK wants out, him - do the exclusive negotiating rights thing like Nashville-Hartnell-Philly; if not, Kristo?), and an d-man like Weber or Diaz, or Tinordi or even Gill if whoever wants it that way. \

I love Evander Kane...wold take probably Patches or Subban (no!) to swing that our way...that would be a real #1 ctr for years to come.

Of course drafting a stud #1 precludes a Plecks-for-#1ctr swap. Then you get Plecks, Eller, draft choice & / or Leblanc, provided Plecks is still interested.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
You have strange definitions of the words ''very good'', ''awesome'' and ''dominate''
I have the correct definitions. But you have an idiotic mindset when it comes to hockey players. One bad season? Throw them under a train!! But you don't go saying that about Cammalleri, Plekanec, or even Eller do you? Were you saying that about Pacioretty too a couple seasons ago?

People who make those claims know nothing about hockey. I hope you can read between the lines from what I just said.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I might be a the minority but I think the Habs are a good team having a bad season. With some retooling I think we can compete with anyone in the new conference formats. But I noticed that we have a huge whole at centre, Gainey tried to fix it in 09 when he tired to land Lecavalier, but then traded for Gomez, we all know how that went but that's not the point.

IMO Pleck is a great 1 A/B centre, and while I've been really impressed with DD, and Eller also, both are not 2nd line centre.

And while I would love to trade for someone like Paul Stastny, the assets are simply not there/worth giving up to get someone like that.

So with that, is our only likelyhood of getting a true impact centre would be getting lucky and being able to draft someone like Grigorenko I don't know much about prospect and stuff but just reading around, it seems as though he might be just what we have been lacking for a long time.

Just wondering if there would be any opitions because it seems like the league is dry on centre, you have the Leafs,Sabres, Flames all looking for that impact centre for years but no results.
read my lips habs fans , as I have been preaching for years

we have no core , never did for many years , and this constant mish mash bandaid gets you nowhere

back to our center situtaion now

Pleks is a decent #2 on a very good team capabale of being a contender like Detroit

For us he does a decent job and works hard but wont cut the mustdard as a number 1 . He is the player I would trade as long as we get a solid return , with a young center capable of replacing him one day with upside .

Desharnais.... beat the odds , tries hard , but is not a #2 center .
on great teams he is a filler period , never on a top 6 . You can praise him all you want folks , but if he is on my top 6 ...WE ARE FKED

Eller ....should be given DD`s role ..he is bigger , faster, stronger, better defender , skater , etc... he has solid # 2 center potential
he gets no powerplay time and if given the same minutes , I cant see why we cant produce DD`S numbers with a bigger body .

If DD is not my answer longterm and we are 10 points out of a playoff spot , wtf
are we still playing DD front line minutes , whats the fken point .
Can we at least see what the hell he can do on a legit line.

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
read my lips habs fans , as I have been preaching for years

we have no core , never did for many years , and this constant mish mash bandaid gets you nowhere

back to our center situtaion now

Pleks is a decent #2 on a very good team capabale of being a contender like Detroit

For us he does a decent job and works hard but wont cut the mustdard as a number 1 . He is the player I would trade as long as we get a solid return , with a young center capable of replacing him one day with upside .

Desharnais.... beat the odds , tries hard , but is not a #2 center .
on great teams he is a filler period , never on a top 6 . You can praise him all you want folks , but if he is on my top 6 ...WE ARE FKED

Eller ....should be given DD`s role
..he is bigger , faster, stronger, better defender , skater , etc... he has solid # 2 center potential
he gets no powerplay time and if given the same minutes , I cant see why we cant produce DD`S numbers with a bigger body .

If DD is not my answer longterm and we are 10 points out of a playoff spot , wtf
are we still playing DD front line minutes , whats the fken point .
Can we at least see what the hell he can do on a legit line.
Gimme a break. He doesn't deserve it. He doesn't have half of the offensive instincs that DD got. Two head coaches and 4 or 5 different assistant coaches can't be wrong.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
Why wouldn't we package Plecks for a #1 ctr? He's the only player likely to fetch someone. Groom Eller as the #2. Draft a huge powerful winger.

Plecks, a winger (if AK wants out, him - do the exclusive negotiating rights thing like Nashville-Hartnell-Philly; if not, Kristo?), and an d-man like Weber or Diaz, or Tinordi or even Gill if whoever wants it that way. \

I love Evander Kane...wold take probably Patches or Subban (no!) to swing that our way...that would be a real #1 ctr for years to come.

Of course drafting a stud #1 precludes a Plecks-for-#1ctr swap. Then you get Plecks, Eller, draft choice & / or Leblanc, provided Plecks is still interested.
How is Evander Kane a ream #1 center if he doesn't play center?

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:47 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Desharnais's proven me wrong. He was our top centerman last night with 48% faceoff winning percentage and he keeps getting better and better. I'd honestly shift him to the wing to give us some size down the middle. He's become too valuable to lose and you always need centerman in the playoffs. I'd give him Gionta's spot on the top 2 lines.

Pacioretty - x - Desharnais
x - Plekanec - Cole
Bourque - Eller - Kostitsyn

Hopefully the draft addresses one of these two spots for us.
Going forward the trading of DD or Pleks is the way to go, fill another piece in the lineup. That would just about asure us of a top 3 pick in the draft. End up with Grigorenko. That would give us
Pacioretty - Grigorenko - Gionta
Bourque- Plekanec /DD- Cole
x - Eller - Kostitsyn
Fill the last spot in UFA, not a bad top 9

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Going forward the trading of DD or Pleks is the way to go, fill another piece in the lineup. That would just about asure us of a top 3 pick in the draft. End up with Grigorenko. That would give us
x - Eller - Kostitsyn
Let me laugh !

Grigorenko is not the next Malkin or Datzyuk. He won't play on a 1st line next season anywhere he is drafted.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
x - Eller - Kostitsyn
you think he'd fall into #5 or #6 ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:17 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you think he'd fall into #5 or #6 ?
the way we going, well draft him at #3..lol

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

I voted draft a number 1 center and move DD to wing. I'm not convinced he's a top 6 solution on a winning team. I like him, he's got a role moving forward especially if we continue to add size, but I think he's more suited as a 3rd line winger beating up on weaker opponents.

Our Center position is very weak however you want to slice it, probably our number 1 area to address and maybe the hardest to address at the same time. We won't get a top guy through UFA and I don't believe we can get one through trade, unless it's a Goez gamble type that involves moving youngsters like Beaulieu, which I don't think is in our best interest at all, so the only real option to address this is through the draft and aside from being in the top 3 in a lottery where we could likely afford to take the center, I don't think drafting for need is the best idea, I'm big believer in BPA, so we have our work cut out for us. I think it's risky business limiting yourself to a guy or two because you suck in that position.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
SeriousHabs

Keep Plek-Eller-DD, draft who ever is best available, fix the defense before anything else.

Retool, rebuild, blow it up...call it what you want, this team won't be fixed for next season.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Picaroon

Tough situation. It's tempting to make a package of Pleks + Eller/DD for a first line center. It sucks because I like all three of them a lot.

I also have to disagree with most here and say that DD is for sure a 2nd line center. It seems like everyone here gets boner for a player over 6', yet put their blinders on any time someone who is under 6' steps on the ice. How can anyone argue that he isn't a second line guy after what the Pac, DD, Cole line has done this year. Give him two big wingers (which we have plenty of) and bam, problem solved. Nobody here can deny DD's elite offensive creativity and heart.

IMO, a package of Pleks, Eller, Pick, Prospect could put us in Getzlaf territory...

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I've actually been reading more about Gaunce lately and he sounds like a stud.
I've seen him quite a bit and...
Frankly, a tad disappointing.

Albeit playing in a different position, I'd probably draft Cody Ceci ahead of Gaunce.

By the way, if we're to get a 1st rounder, let's hope he's in the Ceci range.

As a sidenote, and if nobody already figured that out, my favorite player in the upcoming draft is Jacob Trouba, who is IMO the 2nd best available player in this draft. Certainly not Yakupov... and Grigorenko has somewhat disappointed me for the few games I saw him.

Last edited by MXD: 01-19-2012 at 06:02 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:59 PM
MXD

Again...

I'd slot Eller as the long term 3rd C.
He might get better than this, but that's pretty much what he is right now and should base our choices on Eller actually developping. If he develops... well, hurray!

Some teams will lose players on the way to the playoffs. Some might even lose centers. Shipping Plekanec then becomes a possibility -- this said, ship him AT OUR PRICE. Don't bother if Buffalo is willing to ship Derek Roy for a 3rd rounder : Pleks is certainly useful on this team.

DD? Well, if we can somehow get a big, 1st line C... DD would be the best candidate to move to wing, unless Pleks is already traded. By the way... Plekanec is completely adequate at C, but was originally drafted as an LW... isn't it? If we're planning to go the UFA route next summer, DD becomes pretty much a must, considering his salary...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote