HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black changing his tune?

Old
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Ted Black changing his tune?

https://twitter.com/#!/JeremyWGR

Quote:
Ted Black: "Maybe there's an opportunity to peel off pieces for future gains..." things that the hockey dept is looking at.

My read on the Ted Black interview - Change is coming. He won't/can't say when. No commitment to any core. Change is coming.

hsimon62 howard
he said "we take it personal" and apologized to the fans. was painful to hear what NBC guys said about team last night.

jeremynickerson Jeremy Nickerson
@
@JeremyWGR When Ted made it clear they're not committed to the "core," it was music to my ears. #Sabres fan, searching 4 hope

Ted Black's tone this week was more... {we have to stop kidding ourselves} than last week's {patience we are still in this}. Just my read.
Hopefully someone can link to the interview. WGR550.com is blocked for me at work....

I can't wait to hear this for myself when I get home. Perhaps Pegula and Black are finally seeing that the Core needs to be changed.

Now let's see what Regier does.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
http://wgr550.com/topic/play_window....udioId=5645577

I think I did that right.

EDIT: In a related note, WGR currently has a poll regarding whether Ruff should be fired. Here are the two choices:

Yes. Show us whether or not these players have tuned him out.

No. This group of players needs to be overturned.

51% have chosen the "No" option. I hope that's just because you can only select one, and 51% believe certain players are a bigger part of the problem than Ruff. Still, leave it to Buffalo to choose "Fire the team" over "Fire the coach and then see what happens." This is why we're small-time.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Jame
Dream '16

i have the same "music to my ears interpretation".... but I also worried he's just placating the fan base with what they want to hear, while riding out the "patience" mantra the rest of the year

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i have the same "music to my ears interpretation".... but I also worried he's just placating the fan base with what they want to hear, while riding out the "patience" mantra the rest of the year
I'd be okay with that part, as long as it meant a shakeup was coming in the offseason.

Also, I didn't get to see the game last night. Could someone fill me in on the things the NBC guys were saying?

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Howard:
Quote:
"Do you, Terry, Lindy, and Darcy still believe that this core group is still a core group that you can win a cup with?"
Black:
Quote:
"Ummm.... ummm... I think thats yet to be determined. I don't like to use the term core group so I assume you mean the Rochester um... and fact of the matter is over a 2-3 year period, teams flip over for the most part so I don't think we're committed to um... any group of players... um... whatsoever. The ultimiate goal is that we want to win."
Most telling quote of the entire interview IMO.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
puckish66

Ted Black is our Great White Hope right now.

And maybe the nebulous Ken Sawyer. These guys aren't hockey guys, but they've been around.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I'd be okay with that part, as long as it meant a shakeup was coming in the offseason.

Also, I didn't get to see the game last night. Could someone fill me in on the things the NBC guys were saying?
NBC guys were simply telling it like it is. i thought it was spot on and enjoyed it thoroughly on national TV.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

The word "fragile" was used a lot. Pierre consistently pointed out basic mistakes that the Sabres made over and over. Pierre and Olczyk were just ripping them to pieces for three straight periods. Sad thing is, they weren't wrong nor were they being hyperbolic. Milbury and Jones were on them, too, and saying that this team is screaming out for some sort of change.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:04 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Ted Black is our Great White Hope right now.

And maybe the nebulous Ken Sawyer. These guys aren't hockey guys, but they've been around.
that avy is just

HILARIOUS. Well done.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

it was 60 minutes of trashing the effort, the players, the staff... it was awesome. sorry, i dont recall any quotes... but it was constant throughout the game.

Then again, some of their comments on the plays, and who they blamed were totally wrong. and terrible analsyis

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:05 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Listening now...

Ruff and Regier still not in jeopardy. Disappointing.

He apologizes to the fans, but acknowledges that actions speak louder than words.

Trades, UFA signings, are all on the table.

As far as righting the ship this year vs the future... looking at all options, including a "hybrid" of the two. May be able to move pieces now for future benefit, or get pieces that can help now. Looking at everything.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
The one thing I found interesting in the interview was how he answered the Ryan Miller trade request question. He kind of danced around it, leading me to speculate that Ryan wasn't being truthful. You can read into it however you want, but it seemed to me like Ted didn't want to lie, but also wasn't telling the entire truth.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Most telling quote of the entire interview IMO.
Yep. Flat out refuses to commit to "the Rochester guys".

And boom goes the dynamite.

Old
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
The one thing I found interesting in the interview was how he answered the Ryan Miller trade request question. He kind of danced around it, leading me to speculate that Ryan wasn't being truthful. You can read into it however you want, but it seemed to me like Ted didn't want to lie, but also wasn't telling the entire truth.
Not to pick on you specifically, but I really cannot stand how people over analyze EVERYTHING these people say for hidden meaning.

Sometimes what they mean is what they said.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Layne Staley
The Future

Yawn. Heard this all before. Nothing but a few token small time moves will happen at the deadline and they will preach patience and blame injuries. The time to fire/trade individuals already passed 2 months ago.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The word "fragile" was used a lot. Pierre consistently pointed out basic mistakes that the Sabres made over and over. Pierre and Olczyk were just ripping them to pieces for three straight periods. Sad thing is, they weren't wrong nor were they being hyperbolic. Milbury and Jones were on them, too, and saying that this team is screaming out for some sort of change.
Thanks. Sounds like a sad but needed tearing-apart.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Yawn. Heard this all before. Nothing but a few token small time moves will happen at the deadline and they will preach patience and blame injuries. The time to fire/trade individuals already passed 2 months ago.
Sure. Because this ownership group has done that before.

Oh wait....

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Can't say for sure that the players are playing their hardest for Lindy. Says it's tough to say definitively since he's not in the locker room, but it's hard to watch the last few games without thinking that.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
Clock

Good. Especially like the "future gains" bits. Sounds like building through picks / prospects to me.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
How so?

Quote:
"Ummm, I think Ryan was pretty definitive on that, so... Ryan is the expert on whether or not he has asked for a trade."

Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
"I think Ryan was pretty definitive on that." He's the expert on whether or not he's asked for a trade.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Can't say for sure that the players are playing their hardest for Lindy. Says it's tough to say definitively since he's not in the locker room, but it's hard to watch the last few games without thinking that.
Um, yeah. It's been hard to watch the last 6 seasons without thinking that.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Um, yeah. It's been hard to watch the last 6 seasons without thinking that.
Ding ding ding!

Old
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

He can't even say for sure if we're buyers or sellers or a hybrid of the two at this point. Yikes.

I would think at some point, some point very soon, that's a decision someone has to make. We've got UFA's to deal if we're selling, etc.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
So you complained about Black making statements that no change/little change is on the horizon. He turns around and changes his stance and doesn't commit to a core, and you're complaining again?

You can't have it both ways. Make up your mind.

Black's comments lead me to speculate that they're selling or looking to trade for a young player that can help now. While I'm sure Ryan O'Reilly isn't available, a player of his ilk is what they're targeting I bet. Young and someone who contributes.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote