HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2012, 05:55 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I didn't agree with the direction the agency wanted to head in, a direction in which it was my responsibility to enforce, so I left. I hate I had to make that decision, but it was one I needed to make for my health, my own personal success and as a leader of people.

I made the right decision for me. I'm with a great company, working another group of great people. Having exercised my own right to improve my ability to succeed, I don't feel right (personally) criticizing Suter or Weber if they make that choice. Nor can I criticize them for attempting to convince management of a "better" course.

I understand your pain and empathize. That said, I also understand the decision (somewhat) before Suter and Weber and can empathize with them as well.
Except that in this case I think that Suter, Weber and the Predators are all trying to head in the same direction. But I think we're stronger going in the same direction together than apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
What makes me so mad is this nebulous bull**** about waiting to see if we are committed to being a winner.

For the love of God is offering the three of you obscene amounts of money to stay here not proof of the teams commitment??

How much else do they think Poile can do when they are holding up the whole process by dragging this out??

I say if they have been VERY SPECIFIC with Poile as to what they have to see to sign, then fine, Poile can either get it done, or tell them it cant be done, and act accordingly.... but if all they are doing is being vague and hemming and hawing, they may doscover that Poile's plan for committing to winning is to trade both of them for a buttload of assets and try to build this club around players who arent so obtuse....
I don't see how they can not realize they are the core of this team. Without them we aren't as good of a team. Signing them IS a commitment to winning. They have to look at the young guys we have and see their development. And hopefully they see that the payroll increasing is a sign that we're trying to move into the contender direction instead of perpetual training ground. At the same time they have to realize they can't take all the money for just 3-4 players. For every Cup winner the stars are stars but the complimentary players are the key figures every year and while they don't get a lot of money, they do get some. And we have some pretty damn good ones right now. Hopefully they're thinking about the entire roster when they're talking about the future.

I'm sure that Poile has communicated to them what he is trying to do either at this trade deadline or in the offseason. Hopefully they would realize that we can't mortgage the future to bring in one player. And Poile can't make another GM trade with us. If they have been specific with what they are looking for and Poile and the owners can't/won't make it happen then it would be best for everyone to just go ahead and part now. But if Poile is working hard to get whatever/whomever it is they want, but it won't be feasible until the summer, then hopefully S&W see that and are willing to stick around.

At the same time. I'm getting pissed at all of this, too. Either you want to be here or you don't. If you don't and nothing Poile does will change your mind, then get the **** out now and just stop with all this crap so we can get something in return that will make a departure hurt less. And every time I hear Poile say it's up to Suter if he want to make a commitment or not I get the feeling that Suter doesn't want to be here (I haven't noticed it on the ice, he's played as well as or maybe even better than ever.) If you want to be here, then be here and make the commitment. It's not fair to the rest of the team or the organization (or the fans) to string everyone along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
That's fine and great but the bottom line remains that we aren't perceived as a Cup contender or a viable destination by many, if not all, elite players around the league. Yeah Nashville is sweet and we may treat the players well, but they want the Cup above all else and until we are seen as a destination of those sorts, or our city grows by a million or two people, I don't know if that will happen.

-----

We are a very consistent organization but we lack that "it" factor. We can be the most friendly city in the world but until we garner the reputation of being a winner, no elite talent will knock down our door to play here.
Arnott, Dumont, Kariya, Forsberg all WANTED to come here. They weren't traded and forced to come here, they wanted to play here so bad that they called US. Well Forsberg was traded here, but we were the top team on his list to be traded to. And when they came here, they were still top players in this league. I remember after the lockout Scott Hartnell being on ch.2's sports show and he was saying that other players around the league were telling him how good this team was going to be and he was excited. We know what happened after that, but we were being built into a winner and then were sent backwards 5 years. Now we're almost there again. We're in position to really build something great, and with Rinne, Suter, Weber on board for the next 5-7 years that will be VERY attractive to other players.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
You know, when I sit and think on it, I'm just not buying the idea that there has to be some grand move or gesture that shows Nashville is serious or whatever in becoming a "perennial contender". You know, we the fans think about teams that way, but really - how many teams are in the situation they're gonna' be cup contenders every - or almost every - year?

There's DET. and then...... SJ. Maybe PHI. Everyone else, I'd argue you can tie to the fact that they've acquire a pair of stars and some good next level guys that are playing their whole careers there, but when they're gone it's not guarantee they reload. Det was in the crapper a long time before they rebuilt but they've clearly put in place a system that transcends and passes between groups of players. SJ less so, but probably. But CHI? C'mon - they sucked for a long time, got to draft Toews and Kane - and voila - they're good. All they've proven is they can keep them signed and get them to sign hometown discounts. Same with Pitts. NJ - went down the crapper when Lou stepped back. VAN - maybe - lets see what happens when the sisters retire.

We want to act like Nashville has built a solid team that can make the POs every year and once-in-a-while make a serious run; I'd argue that is the NORMAL for good franchises - that's the Blues (with their 20+ year PO run and now back to being a serious threat), that's Washington (from the Poile days to the Ovechkin-led occasional contender), that's COL (battling DET in some brutal PO series for a few years, then a run with some aging stars, now rebuilt)... I could go on with several more examples, but honestly, any of these teams that are good for a run of 8 or 10 years - how many are they really legitimate cup threats? (not too mention a thing like a #8 seed Edmonton making a run over all those "contenders")

We've pointed out money/big-market does not cure all. Toronto may be on the right path now, but they've been miserable for a LONG time. Montreal too. The Rangers - thrown a lot of money around for a long time and now when they get a star to take a below-market contract and come there they're contending - but sustained as a legitimate cup contender?

*IF* it's about "competitive balance" for Suter and Weber it's about the fact that we're stuck in the same division with DET and CHI and SL. DET is who they are, CHI will have Toews and Kane during Webs/Sutes entire careers. SL has built themselves into Nashville with a few more bucks to spend so their depth can be a little stronger or they can afford to take on a late-career guy to fill lower spot where we have to go with a kid.

So - here they are - in a low profile market. Adored and comfortable, but maybe not quite as respected as they should be. Certainly don't get the options outside of hockey they'd get in CAN or the big markets - the endorsements, etc. Pretty much on a team that will be in the POs for the foreseeable future which - unless you're in DET (and maybe SJ and PHI) - is all you can ask. The market options for a cup? Well, they have to go to a team with stars that have signed below-market long-term contracts otherwise - year-in and year-out - just not any kinda' guarantee that they're gonna' be any more competitive than we are. Seems to me the only thing you can say for those other "regularly competitive" teams is they have a few more bucks to spend so MAYBE they can sign an aged FA or make a trade for a rental that we really can't. Offset to that - we've got a pretty good history of growing kids through the system.

In the end, it's their choice. 600+ guys in the NHL all wanna' win a cup - 23 of them gonna' do that in any given year. PK signs in SL and they're miserable. Sully signs in Pits and they've got mounting injury issues. Ward goes to WSH and they implode and fire the coach. ANA woulda' looked like a good destination this past year, wouldn't they? Very few guarantees. To me, the difference for Webs/Sutes is in Nashville, they're expected to lead, be the example, not just the superstar that puts the team over-the-top, but brings along the kids and helps them all learn. Maybe they're just not cut-out for that?
+1 +2 +3 and +4

very well stated. Completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Even if Poile knows for 100% certainty that Suter isn't going to re-sign, I would still want to keep him for our playoff run. Trading him would likely only net futures that do nothing for our club now.
Disagree. What if we get a serviceable dman, a high-draft pick, AND a skilled top 6 forward for Suter? Don't we end up better off in that respect?

We fill a top 6 forward, we get a vet dman that can play over Boullion/Hillen, and get a high-draft pick for the future. To me, you HAVE to give up Suter if he hasn't signed by the trade deadline. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. A good GM of a company realizes that he can't give up his assets for nothing. Otherwise, you'd take a loss for the year. This situation is the same... You can't lose Suter for nothing - that leaves a HUGE hole to fill with nothing to get in return.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Disagree. What if we get a serviceable dman, a high-draft pick, AND a skilled top 6 forward for Suter? Don't we end up better off in that respect?

We fill a top 6 forward, we get a vet dman that can play over Boullion/Hillen, and get a high-draft pick for the future. To me, you HAVE to give up Suter if he hasn't signed by the trade deadline. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. A good GM of a company realizes that he can't give up his assets for nothing. Otherwise, you'd take a loss for the year. This situation is the same... You can't lose Suter for nothing - that leaves a HUGE hole to fill with nothing to get in return.
It's a big "what if" ... there's a very delicate line here. If it looks like he might still sign with us and we're in the hunt I lean towards keeping him. If he tells Poile that he's gone after the season, Poile needs to be more willing to trade him before the deadline.

To move him at all during the season has to be for the right return. A quality d-man has to come back our way along with a scorer at a minimum. For anything less, keep Suter as our "rental" and try to get something for his rights after the season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It's a big "what if" ... there's a very delicate line here. If it looks like he might still sign with us and we're in the hunt I lean towards keeping him. If he tells Poile that he's gone after the season, Poile needs to be more willing to trade him before the deadline.

To move him at all during the season has to be for the right return. A quality d-man has to come back our way along with a scorer at a minimum. For anything less, keep Suter as our "rental" and try to get something for his rights after the season.
Not sure how it is a big "what if" due to the fact that we got a Peter Forsberg at the end of his career and gave up 3-first round picks. One actual first round pick, another one that had developed to the point of being NHL ready, and a third that was a few years away from being NHL ready. And that was for a rental player...

So for Suter, who is entering his prime, I most definitely think we can get a 2nd (or even 3rd as long as he is an upgrade over Boullion and Hillen) pairing dman, a top 6 forward ready to contribute now and a 1st round pick. No doubt....

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post

And right there lies the key to the whole situation. Sutes needs to let Poile know his intentions, and the sooner the better. If he wants to test free agency or play for another team, I have no problem with that. Just let Poile know so he can maximize the return.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not sure how it is a big "what if" due to the fact that we got a Peter Forsberg at the end of his career and gave up 3-first round picks. One actual first round pick, another one that had developed to the point of being NHL ready, and a third that was a few years away from being NHL ready. And that was for a rental player...

So for Suter, who is entering his prime, I most definitely think we can get a 2nd (or even 3rd as long as he is an upgrade over Boullion and Hillen) pairing dman, a top 6 forward ready to contribute now and a 1st round pick. No doubt....
Look at the Kovalchuk return. No top 6 players there.

If someone actually offered us that, we should probably do it, but I just cant see it for a rental.

Look at the Kovalchuk return. No top 6 players there.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

The big if of if he is definitely gone or not still looms. If he is still undecided, it might be better to keep him than to move him. Without being in the negotiations we don't know if it's 50/50 that he stays or 75/25 in either direction and that information drives everything else.

Say Poile then decides to move him the question of who has the right pieces to make it worth dumping him during the season comes into play. Tampa will be a seller, but, lack the defense to send us a guy in return. Carolina becomes an option with Allen or Gleason coupled with maybe Jokinen. I'm not sure Anaheim parts with both Beauchemin and one of their forwards within the conference. Both the Isles and Oil have a lot of young scoring forwards and great draft positions every year, but, there's some risk taking from their bluelines where they aren't very deep ... some decent young talent but no studs.

Saying to move him by day X if he hasn't signed is easy. Calculating if that is truly the right move is much more difficult ... then getting the needed return just complicates things. Sometimes the right move is a bold one, sometimes it is best to make a cautious move, and others the right move is no move at all. From our position in an information vacuum it's hard to see which is the right choice.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Even if Poile knows for 100% certainty that Suter isn't going to re-sign, I would still want to keep him for our playoff run. Trading him would likely only net futures that do nothing for our club now.
That's where I totally disagree. Why keep him for a playoff run on a team that is essentially the same as last year? Keeping him around doesn't guarantee we make the playoffs or guarantee that we'll make it further.

All it does is guarantee that we'll be minus 1 All Star that we'll have to try and replace next year, and the years after that (and if I'm correct, we've only ever drafted 3 of those in 13 years). Whether it's future players or current players that we get in return, I really don't care, because last I checked, it's a seller's market on All Star Defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sounded like you were talking more fact than opinion. Opinions are one thing but the way things were stated in your post, you had it all figured out. Big difference.
You really annoy me sometimes.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Arnott, Dumont, Kariya, Forsberg all WANTED to come here. They weren't traded and forced to come here, they wanted to play here so bad that they called US. Well Forsberg was traded here, but we were the top team on his list to be traded to. And when they came here, they were still top players in this league. I remember after the lockout Scott Hartnell being on ch.2's sports show and he was saying that other players around the league were telling him how good this team was going to be and he was excited. We know what happened after that, but we were being built into a winner and then were sent backwards 5 years. Now we're almost there again. We're in position to really build something great, and with Rinne, Suter, Weber on board for the next 5-7 years that will be VERY attractive to other players.
Forsberg was traded here. He may have 'approved' us or whatever but we were a really really good team (on the surface) at that time. We were as close to an elite team as we've ever been at that point.

Kariya came right after the lockout and Arnott and Dumont came after the bigtime success of 05-06 when we were the 4th seed so yes, we had a little momentum right then.

As for them all being "top players in the league", I wouldn't ever put Dumont in that category for any reason. He had 40 points the year before signing with us and his previous career high was 53. To his credit he was really good in the 05-06 playoffs before coming to us but still, not buying that he was a huge signing by league standards. Kariya was a good signing, I'll give you that, but he was having some recurring injury and concussion problems that were probably scaring some teams away especially with his sub-par season in Colorado before the lockout. The guy was amazing in his prime with Anaheim (nice rhyme) but he wasn't that guy anymore. Good signing nonetheless, but not the type that will build your team for the future.

Arnott was a pretty good signing because he still had some gas in the tank but, like Kariya, he was 32 when his first season with us started so it's possible he didn't have a ton of good offers on the table. I'm not saying we've never had people want to sign here but we've never had an explosive player, in his prime, that came to us wanting to relocate to this team. As for Rinne, Suter, and Weber being here and making us desirable around the league, we're going to have a really hard time paying those three guys, plus other good role players, plus one of the aforementioned big names that we're all talking about.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Andy Strickland: "Suter wants to stay in Nashville, but also wants to win."

So...if he does leave, you can pretty much know it's because he didn't believe that we're as close as we like to think.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

So...if he does leave, you can pretty much know it's because he didn't believe that we're as close as we like to think.
To me, this still doesn't answer what it would take to get him to stay. Right now, we are one of the better teams in the league (points) with the youngest team and some of the top prospects.

Has he given some sort of deadline to Poile? Is there a certain move he's waiting for? Is there some sort of over/under point total?? Every player wants to win, but for a player of Suter's caliber, in this situation, it needs to bee a little more specific.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

same old BS.

what does that mean Ryan??

as I have said before how stupid would it be be to throw out 21 million or more for those three if we ARENT planning on "going for it"

if the plan is "same old stuff, scrape by with draftees and low dollar FA's" wouldn't the smart thing have been to trade all three for a huge haul of picks and prospects so the perpetual cycle could continue? But instead this team is prepared to spend more on three players than it did on THE ENTIRE PAYROLL before the lockout.... wake up and smell the coffee, Ryan...

Old
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
To me, this still doesn't answer what it would take to get him to stay. Right now, we are one of the better teams in the league (points) with the youngest team and some of the top prospects.

Has he given some sort of deadline to Poile? Is there a certain move he's waiting for? Is there some sort of over/under point total?? Every player wants to win, but for a player of Suter's caliber, in this situation, it needs to bee a little more specific.
It just means what it says. He wants his team to win. If we win every game for the rest of the year with our current roster then he'll probably stay. Conversely if get Parise, Gleason, and AK47, and still lose in the first round, he'll probably leave.

Suter isn't a GM or a coach. It's not his prerogative to specify what need and don't need. He just wants results.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:

well I want to go buy food, but also keep all the money I have.

What good is that thought process going to do? Of course he wants to win. Doesn't sound like he thinks it's happening here.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I wonder if he\Weber are waiting to see what we do in the playoffs this year.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
God i hope not. Talk about risky. If we keep them past the deadline, Suter especially, his value plummets. If we keep him, get the 7/8 seed and get beat by a top team, and he walks, we get little to nothing for him.

I've refrained from blaming these two for handcuffing the team,but if this is the case, I might be joining that crowd. I understand them wanting to win, but they are putting Poile in an awful situation.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I think this is much more likely than the rumors of them demanding X and Y players. They just wanna see results.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

This kind of crap from athletes comes across so insincere. Everybody wants to win, but only one team gets to every year. Some players have the character to want to be a part of building a winner, the rest are content to ride coat-tails. Fact is, this franchise is never going to attract the latter over the likes of a Philly, NY, Detroit (regardless of whether the teams actually win or not), I just wish I wouldn't keep getting my hopes up that these homegrown players are actually the rare few that represent the former.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
pekkaslap

This team as currently constructed isn't going any further than last year's team in the playoffs, a first-round series win being the ceiling that is. I'd argue last year's team was better top to bottom. So if Suter's basing his decision strictly on that I feel like we're screwed unless DP makes a move to get offense for a deeper playoff run.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I had a nice long post from my phone but the website was getting fixed. Let's see if I can summarize it.

Guys, you are smarter than this. It would be extremely naive for anyone here (myself included) to think that Poile and Suter haven't talked man to man about what it is going to take and what kind of commitment Suter is looking for. There's no way this conversation hasn't happened. Of course Suter and Poile aren't going to come out and say specifically what has been discussed. Of course Suter is going to say he wants to stay here. Let's be honest here, we are hearing a lot of the same stuff from multiple sources which pretty much should tell us every report till they are traded or signed is going to be the same.

Frankly, I don't blame Suter for second guessing his commitment here. Weber and Suter aren't idiots. This team has a great foundation, and the organization is built around these guys. We got a stock pile of talent and a style of play that fits them well. Problem is, last season we had the most successful season ever followed by a postseason where Poile was asleep at the wheel. That whole getting to the next level, window of opportunity lip service was never acted on. My guess, based on what we have heard and what I have heard from other people inside the organization, they want to see the team improved on before they commit long term OR they are waiting to see how we do in the playoffs. This team is pretty much the same team that didn't get past the 2nd round last year. These guys are competitors and warriors. They want a cup.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Poile for how great of a GM he is, got burned on the Weber deal, as well as underestimated how serious Weber and Suter are about getting to the next level. Suter and Weber are not without blame. Poile is trying to build a team not just for now, but for the future as well and he has to know if his cornerstones are sticking around. Weber and Suter want upgrades before they sign, Poile wants them to sign before he gets upgrades. Its a dangerous game of chicken and that can't keep going much longer without getting pretty ugly. As fans, we are helplessly caught in the crossfire here.

I sincerely hope that Poile's move today for Yip signals a future deal that will send a pair of our depth forwards somewhere for an elite forward or a defenseman. We can't continue to be in limbo here. Either we make our stand here and go for it all or we hope that we have a deep playoff run with the team we have no will convince them to stay.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:01 PM
AEM6729

Awhile ago (before Pekka signed), I was told from a source in the organization that the biggest concern for the Big Three was whether they were all going to sign here, that they wanted to stay together. This source is almost as good as it gets without being Poile himself, so unless something has changed (which is totally possible), is it possible that Suter is diddling around because he's not sure if Weber is going to sign here or not? Maybe he's willing to stay if Weber is, but if Webs leaves he'd rather go someplace more established.

I know it's been volleyed around that maybe Suter wants to get out of Weber's shadow, but everything we've seen from them in public and everything I've heard from inside the organization says the opposite.

Just an idea.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
luckofirish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Awhile ago (before Pekka signed), I was told from a source in the organization that the biggest concern for the Big Three was whether they were all going to sign here, that they wanted to stay together. This source is almost as good as it gets without being Poile himself, so unless something has changed (which is totally possible), is it possible that Suter is diddling around because he's not sure if Weber is going to sign here or not? Maybe he's willing to stay if Weber is, but if Webs leaves he'd rather go someplace more established.

I know it's been volleyed around that maybe Suter wants to get out of Weber's shadow, but everything we've seen from them in public and everything I've heard from inside the organization says the opposite.

Just an idea.
This could in fact be the case, but the problem becomes the time frame. Weber already stated he doesn't want to talk contract until after the season, so we would have to hold onto to Suter until after the deadline before being able to potentially get both to sign. It's all good if they both sign, but if they don't Suter's value is at its lowest. It's a tough spot to be in if you are Poile.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:54 PM
braindead

My Poile plan- were I Poile (and I think this would work):

1. Tell Suter that we will land Parise now or in the offseason if he signs a 7 yer/$7M contract NOW. Be specific on what we are willing to give or give up for ZP as follows

2. Offer Lou ANY package that doesn't involve Suter Weber Rinne. Sure there have to be some parameters at the end of the day but any package of prospects, picks and players is on the table. Why? We are trading for Parise the rental, a shot a Parise the long term signed player AND 7 years of Ryan Suter. What is that worth? ANYTHING. My offer: Lindback, either Wilson or Smith, any one of Josi/Blum/Ellis, any forward prospect we have that hasn't played a game for us, and a 1st and 2nd. Seriously.

3. If Lou won't budge, Suter should know the specifics of an offer to Parise that will be coming as a UFA. I'd say 7 years/$8M per year. Or 6 and 9. Whatever puts a smile on Suter's face and ink on the paper. Why? Because it gets Suter to sign and may land you either or both of Weber and Parise. That is worth a lot. This is a trade for a signed Ryan Suter++.

Frankly, if you get Suter and Parise, you can always trade Weber if you can't deal with him. That would net plenty and would leave us a beautiful core to build around.

If the offer to do bold steps #2 and #3 don't entice Suter to sign, trade him now because we need the parts he can bring back. 48 hours to decide.

If we are trading Suter, offer Shea a 7 year $9M contract. If he won't sign, trade him NOW.

This team is in the right spot to parlay assets into a deep, strong contender by signing or trading. Big bold steps are necessary to do it- either by going for it now or by getting huge returns now.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Are we headed toward A Bad Goodbye?

This discussion has been awesome. It appears we've established the following (these are generalizations, understanding 100% of you will not agree but most will):

· We want to receive a rose from Ryan

· The rose is a signed long term contract with the Preds

· The rose will be expensive but we're willing to pay it

· We're the hometown girl Ryan has been going steady with for many years and loves dearly. We're cute and devoted to his success. It's a perfect recipe for a long term, happily ever after ending.

· But truth be known, Ryan can “do better” as defined by the hockey world’s pecking order class standards. He’s got it all goin’ and can have any girl (city) in the room. Ryan can become high profile, with more endorsements, maybe even a Reality show. There are no limits.

· So it comes down to Ryan. If he gives us the rose, he’s adored and set for life in the small town of Smashville. The proverbial big fish in the small smashpond.

· If he trades up, (which we’ve all confirmed he has every right to do), the hockey world will reward him with praise, notoriety, and confirmation of his choice. His newly selected smokin’ hot Super Model partner will make him the envy of his hockey buds. The boy from Wisconsin finally makes it big on the Big Stage.

· But beware Ryan: As the famous saying goes – “No matter how good looking she is, there’s a guy out there who’s tired of putting up with her sh*t”.

· So the next scene in this drama goes as follows: The abundant patience of his hometown girl reaches a fork in the road. She’s asked him politely to make up his mind. He’s been putting her off like Meat Loaf in “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by saying, “let me sleep on it, baby baby, let me sleep on it”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-FRac7m58

· As each day passes with no answer, she fears no response means he’s struggling with the decision. How could he be struggling? This is “us” we’re talking about.

· It’s time she (we) morph into Goose’s wife, Meg Ryan, in Top Gun - Meg: “Hey Goose, ya Big Studdddddd.” / Goose: (playing Great Balls of Fire on the piano) “That’s me, Honey”. / Meg: “ Take me to bed or lose me forever!” / Goose: “Show me the way, Baby”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgcThjYBHs

· But wait, what if he’s already decided to break it off but can’t bring himself to say goodbye. Has Ryan become Clint Black to our Wynonna. Say it ain’t …… “A Bad Goodbye” …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLA8sUvCLeU

I've been bound to leave you
We've known that for awhile
I'm sure it's something I can't do
If I can't leave you with a smile

I don't know how far I'll have to go
Till I'm sure those eyes won't cry
And in my mind I've left enough
to know that I can't
Leave you with a bad goodbye

Chorus:
Goodbye, easier said than done
Goodbye, there's no good when you're the one
Whose goodbye you swore would never come
And in my goodbye you're finding none

· She deserves the truth, Ryan. Man up. Who you gonna be, Clint or Goose? If you’re Clint, let her go so she can find “A Better Man”. If you’re Goose, sign the dang contract so you can “Turn and Burn” with Maverick (Shea) for the next 7 years.!

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
This discussion has been awesome. It appears we've established the following (these are generalizations, understanding 100% of you will not agree but most will):

· We want to receive a rose from Ryan

· The rose is a signed long term contract with the Preds

· The rose will be expensive but we're willing to pay it

· We're the hometown girl Ryan has been going steady with for many years and loves dearly. We're cute and devoted to his success. It's a perfect recipe for a long term, happily ever after ending.

· But truth be known, Ryan can “do better” as defined by the hockey world’s pecking order class standards. He’s got it all goin’ and can have any girl (city) in the room. Ryan can become high profile, with more endorsements, maybe even a Reality show. There are no limits.

· So it comes down to Ryan. If he gives us the rose, he’s adored and set for life in the small town of Smashville. The proverbial big fish in the small smashpond.

· If he trades up, (which we’ve all confirmed he has every right to do), the hockey world will reward him with praise, notoriety, and confirmation of his choice. His newly selected smokin’ hot Super Model partner will make him the envy of his hockey buds. The boy from Wisconsin finally makes it big on the Big Stage.

· But beware Ryan: As the famous saying goes – “No matter how good looking she is, there’s a guy out there who’s tired of putting up with her sh*t”.

· So the next scene in this drama goes as follows: The abundant patience of his hometown girl reaches a fork in the road. She’s asked him politely to make up his mind. He’s been putting her off like Meat Loaf in “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” by saying, “let me sleep on it, baby baby, let me sleep on it”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-FRac7m58

· As each day passes with no answer, she fears no response means he’s struggling with the decision. How could he be struggling? This is “us” we’re talking about.

· It’s time she (we) morph into Goose’s wife, Meg Ryan, in Top Gun - Meg: “Hey Goose, ya Big Studdddddd.” / Goose: (playing Great Balls of Fire on the piano) “That’s me, Honey”. / Meg: “ Take me to bed or lose me forever!” / Goose: “Show me the way, Baby”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKgcThjYBHs

· But wait, what if he’s already decided to break it off but can’t bring himself to say goodbye. Has Ryan become Clint Black to our Wynonna. Say it ain’t …… “A Bad Goodbye” …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLA8sUvCLeU

I've been bound to leave you
We've known that for awhile
I'm sure it's something I can't do
If I can't leave you with a smile

I don't know how far I'll have to go
Till I'm sure those eyes won't cry
And in my mind I've left enough
to know that I can't
Leave you with a bad goodbye

Chorus:
Goodbye, easier said than done
Goodbye, there's no good when you're the one
Whose goodbye you swore would never come
And in my goodbye you're finding none

· She deserves the truth, Ryan. Man up. Who you gonna be, Clint or Goose? If you’re Clint, let her go so she can find “A Better Man”. If you’re Goose, sign the dang contract so you can “Turn and Burn” with Maverick (Shea) for the next 7 years.!
as prosaic as that is, I really think he hasnt made up his mind. To me I think he wants to stay but he fears getting burned. The problem is we have no idea what it is he's looking for that will make him commit...