HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gleason, Suter, etc. (ESPN, Edmonton Journal, Philly.com, etc.)

Old
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Suter just left the Isles game with an upper body injury.
Yep just saw that too.. Maybe he isn't injured and is being traded! Hopefully it's not that bad though so if he can't get a contract signed with them, they have time to at least keep their options open in the future.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Suter just left the Isles game with an upper body injury.
He was GTD with a minor injury. With the Preds up 3-0, I think they decided to pull him for precautionary reasons. They went with 7 d, to indicate that was the plan all along.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Jeesh JVR is damaged goods so not sure anybody will touch him right now..

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers definitely want a defenceman with Chris Pronger done for the season and like, everybody else, they’re monitoring Ryan Suter. They love him. They want him if the Nashville Predators can’t sign the unrestricted free agent before the trade deadline. They’ve got winger James van Riemsdyk for sure to move, but his confirmed concussion puts everything on hold. If you’re a team in the hunt for van Riemsdyk, you also have to know his hip is sore enough he’ll likely need surgery in the off-season and he’s also had an abdominal muscle tear this season. He’s also got 5-1/2 years left on a $25.5-million deal.

Would the Flyers trade centre Brayden Schenn because they are playing another rookie Sean Couturier much more? They obviously have their first-round draft pick in play, and maybe a young prospect defender like Marc-Andre Bourdon. All this is conditional, of course, on Suter and his agent, former Calgary Flames meanie Neil Sheehy, wanting to sign a long-term deal before July 1. If a Suter trade doesn’t come off, they like Luke Schenn of the Toronto Maple Leafs for van Riemsdyk, who hasn’t yet shown he can be more than a 45-50 point player, although this year he’s been hit hard by medical problems. With the concussion (maybe after being hit by the Ottawa Senators’ Bobby Butler), all trade bets are off for the time being with his unsure status.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...tter-ej_oilers

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Elliot Freedman thinks the Flyers are gonna make a play for Suter as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Quote:
Those who are waiting? It's believed the Flyers covet Ryan Suter, so you've got to save your biggest bullets. David Poile is on record as saying he'll hold back until the last minute. Remember, the Flyers and Predators consummated two pretty important trades over the past few seasons: Peter Forsberg at the 2007 deadline, and Scott Hartnell/Kimmo Timonen for draft picks a few months later. Paul Holmgren must feel pretty confident that if he needs to pull off a complex transaction, he can do it with Poile.
Also if the deal is around Schenn, Bourdon and a 1st... I believe thats a steal with the development of Couts. Also I don't think thats what they would deal haha

Old
01-17-2012, 11:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Bear in mind, Poile has said all along that Nashville likely wouldn't trade Suter if they're still in it at the deadline. Given that they're on a five game winning streak, have won 14 of 18, and are only 4 points behind the first overall Blues...I'm just not sure how available he'll be.

I think, when all is said and done, the Preds hold on to him, use the extra negotiating time, and just take the gamble that they won't be able to re-sign him.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Bear in mind, Poile has said all along that Nashville likely wouldn't trade Suter if they're still in it at the deadline. Given that they're on a five game winning streak, have won 14 of 18, and are only 4 points behind the first overall Blues...I'm just not sure how available he'll be.

I think, when all is said and done, the Preds hold on to him, use the extra negotiating time, and just take the gamble that they won't be able to re-sign him.
Yea I agree its tough trading him in mid season especially when your team is competing for a playoff spot. Freidman also mention that they would wait until the very last minute to make the trade if they have to. So maybe the will give it up to the deadline, if they don't get a deal struck by then, they look around for the best deal.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Agreed. JVR a 1st and MAB for 1/2 year of Suter would indeed be INSANE.

in·sane/inˈsān/
Adjective:

In a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.
No way we trade for suter unless we know he is going to resign with us. Any deal involving suter means he is going to be a flyer .

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Yea I agree its tough trading him in mid season especially when your team is competing for a playoff spot. Freidman also mention that they would wait until the very last minute to make the trade if they have to. So maybe the will give it up to the deadline, if they don't get a deal struck by then, they look around for the best deal.
The last time they were in a situation like this, it was Dan Hamhuis...and as you'll recall, the Flyers were rumored to be doing everything in their power to get him at the deadline as well. Poile was having trouble signing him, but given the team's status in the playoff race, they chose to just stick it out. Eventually, Hamhuis signed for more money than the Predators thought he was worth...but I think they value Suter a lot more than that...so...again, I'd be shocked if he's traded for anything but a massive overpayment if the Predators are within even sniffing distance of the playoffs. Similar situation to Lou\Parise.

Old
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The last time they were in a situation like this, it was Dan Hamhuis...and as you'll recall, the Flyers were rumored to be doing everything in their power to get him at the deadline as well. Poile was having trouble signing him, but given the team's status in the playoff race, they chose to just stick it out. Eventually, Hamhuis signed for more money than the Predators thought he was worth...but I think they value Suter a lot more than that...so...again, I'd be shocked if he's traded for anything but a massive overpayment if the Predators are within even sniffing distance of the playoffs. Similar situation to Lou\Parise.
I agree it's a pipe dream, but it has a chance to happening. Also your avatar scared the balls off me

Old
01-17-2012, 12:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I am not seeing the Preds trading Weber or Suter during the season either. its not like Nashville is up against the cap like the Flyers are. They have no reason to deal either guy during the season especially with them playing so well.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am not seeing the Preds trading Weber or Suter during the season either. its not like Nashville is up against the cap like the Flyers are. They have no reason to deal either guy during the season especially with them playing so well.
I could see them dealing one mid season. Nashville as a pretty deep defensive crop. Their offense, on the other hand is relatively thin. If they can get a forward that is a legit NHLer, I could see them dealing Suter or Weber. I doubt they will trade them for picks, but if they can get a good player that will help them score, I could see them doing it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I could see them dealing one mid season. Nashville as a pretty deep defensive crop. Their offense, on the other hand is relatively thin. If they can get a forward that is a legit NHLer, I could see them dealing Suter or Weber. I doubt they will trade them for picks, but if they can get a good player that will help them score, I could see them doing it.
the Preds are 30 million under the cap. I dont think they trade either guy until late June. Obviously anyone can be traded, but I am not seeing it. They are in the think of it in the west again.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
turkinaa

Suter is currently out hurt with an upper body injury (or virus) at least for the next game.

https://twitter.com/#!/JoshuaCooper/...00240816611328

Quote:
He [Barry Trotz] said Suter is "day-to-day" and won't leave the trip. Probably means there's a chance for Columbus on Thursday.
So I'm thinking that until more is known about the injury he's not going to be traded anytime this week or longer depending on the injury. If anything it would definitively push back his trade time to make sure he's healthy, etc.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Jtown

Quote:
you risk keeping him at the chance he could walk for nothing. Or you deal him now and secure assets for him.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
the Preds are 30 million under the cap. I dont think they trade either guy until late June. Obviously anyone can be traded, but I am not seeing it. They are in the think of it in the west again.
The cap has nothing to do with it. It is team needs (now and future). If they get offered a deal with a forward who can help out their offense (+ likely more) their defense can take the hit. Yes, in theory they have enough money to sign both Suter or Weber, but are they willing to spend that much (I honestly don't know, but small market teams usually aren't)? And do both guys want to stay there?

This is a similar situation like the whole JvR for Schenn deal going on in the other thread. JvR is better than Schenn and has a higher ceiling, but the Flyers need defense and can sustain a hit on offense. Just like Weber and Suter are likely going to be better than the player that is coming back, but the Preds need offense and can take the hit on defense (and then there is the question about whether or not one or both will sign next season). I'm not saying they will or even should make any deals with these guys, but I think it is a definite possibility IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Cashville needs offense like the Flyers need defense, IMHO I'd rather have Weber and do whatever it takes to get him here, he's big, physical, a leader, and has a bomb from the blue-line, the team leading scorer has 13 goals that's Legwand so whatever the Flyers offer it's going to cost us goals which is fine just as long as We get one of the big guns from the Preds

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:36 PM
BernieParent

A point in Gleason's favour: have a look at his scrap with Engelland.

Man, did Gleason go toe to toe against a true heavyweight.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Both of their faces felt that the next day.

01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
kicksave27

In two years, do you really want your top pairing to be Mez-Coburn?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
In two years, do you really want your top pairing to be Mez-Coburn?
obviously not, but in two years, a lot can and will happen

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't get why people think Suter is a great defenseman. The system in Nashville makes him look better than what he really is. I think if the Flyers give up a goldmine for him, they're going to be sorely disappointed in the results. It's easy to look like a rock star when the coach basically plays a system that makes all five players on the ice look like defensemen.

The Flyers need is basic for the blue line - they need a defensive defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a night in a shut down role and has a whole lot of mean to his game. Suter doesn't have that type of snarl in his game. A guy like Gleason is needed more than Suter. Matt Greene in Los Angeles would be another good fit if could be done.
You sir are out of your mind. Do you watch him play? Easily a top 10 defensive Dman in the league, hes much better defensively than Weber. Watch the games again when Suter was out, Weber looked lost. Also you bring up the "system" And when Suter played for team USA in the olympics 2 years ago, he was possibly the best dman in the whole tournament.

With that said, Im not moving JVR for him especially if he is a UFA. Something around Read a 1st and a spect would be better for both teams (considering JVR making 4.25 mil per year doesnt really help NAS financial situation.)

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
You sir are out of your mind. Do you watch him play? Easily a top 10 defensive Dman in the league, hes much better defensively than Weber. Watch the games again when Suter was out, Weber looked lost. Also you bring up the "system" And when Suter played for team USA in the olympics 2 years ago, he was possibly the best dman in the whole tournament.

With that said, Im not moving JVR for him especially if he is a UFA. Something around Read a 1st and a spect would be better for both teams (considering JVR making 4.25 mil per year doesnt really help NAS financial situation.)
Nashville's only financial situation is that they have too much cap space\budget space. Ownership\Poile\Trotz have come out and said that they'll be a cap team next season, with the building having been sold out much of this season so far. If Suter\Weber don't re-sign, it wasn't because they weren't offered enough money.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
BringBackStevens

I'd love suter but we simply cannot give up what the preds would want without a contract in place.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2392
From Pierre LeBrun...

Quote:
Ryan Suter just said during his media availability that he doesn't think he'll sign before trade deadline... Feel it would be distraction

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
From Pierre LeBrun...
Also, "loves it in Nashville" and doesn't see it as being a rush. Overall gist is that, as you say, doesn't want negotiations to be a distraction to himself, teammates, or organization.