HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black changing his tune?

Old
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Oh now some clown fan calling in saying it doesn't make sense to make any changes to the roster, since we haven't been healthy.

That's just dumb. Injuries happen, and we're largely healthy at this point. The guys sucking the hardest are the guys who've been mostly healthy, and eating up big chunks roster and cap space.

You're never going to see some pristine, idealized version of a hockey roster on the ice. Guys will be banged up, broken, and beaten down at varying points throughout the season. That's the reality you have to deal with.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:17 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Okay, this is the first time I've been legitimately feeling some excitement for this team in probably 2 months.

My one request: DON'T go the hybrid route. Half-assing it, choosing the safe ground, is why they draft 13th so damn often. Go for top 5, stockpile some picks for draft-day deals, and make a concerted effort to have a roster at least, say, 33% different as of September.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Sounds like the white flag is being waved. The good news is we have some good pieces:

Gaustaud, Hecht, Leopold, Roy and Stafford will have some value as the deadline approaches.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
He can't even say for sure if we're buyers or sellers or a hybrid of the two at this point. Yikes.

I would think at some point, some point very soon, that's a decision someone has to make. We've got UFA's to deal if we're selling, etc.
No team is going to admit they're sellers publicly.

"At some point it's a decision they have to make soon," - they've got until the trade deadline. Which I'm fine with. Maximum return.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Yawn. Heard this all before. Nothing but a few token small time moves will happen at the deadline and they will preach patience and blame injuries. The time to fire/trade individuals already passed 2 months ago.
Heard this all before? From Ted Black? When was that exactly?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
slip

Of course change is coming. Of course there is no point in trading for players to make a playoff run this year.

Ted Black is simply expressing what any hockey fan with half a brain knows: the group of scrubs suck and need to be shipped out ASAFP.

Ruff might suck but the lazy *****es he's coaching suck so much more.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JPurp26

Good interview, so unlike LQ.

Sounds like they're finally starting to reevaluate their ideas for the future. Please change this core, change this team identity. Give us fans something to be proud of. Something to cheer about. Something to make us HF'ers to not complain so much

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
"I think Ryan was pretty definitive on that." He's the expert on whether or not he's asked for a trade.

Sounds pretty clear to me.
Instead of answering alwith a simple "no, he hasn't asked for a trade", it was a hesitation followed by a Ryan already gave you an answer kind of answer. He's not going to contradict Millers statement on air and call him a liar, but it was far from definitive, which he could have been, to my ear.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

"This isnt Xbox" line was pretty funny. I am hoping that the rest of this road trip continues like it has and cements them as full blown sellers.

Last edited by SECRET SQUIRREL: 01-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
No team is going to admit they're sellers publicly.
True. But I hope, internally, they have a pretty good idea of what they're looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
"At some point it's a decision they have to make soon," - they've got until the trade deadline. Which I'm fine with. Maximum return.
They should know where they stand prior to deadline day. There's no great mystery here. If any deals open up in the few days leading up to the deadline, they should be ready to jump in.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
"This isnt Xbox" line was pretty funny. I am hoping that the rest of this road trip cements them as full blown sellers.
I'm fairly confident your wish will be granted.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Instead of answering alwith a simple "no, he hasn't asked for a trade", it was a hesitation followed by a Ryan already gave you an answer kind of answer. He's not going to contradict Millers statement on air and call him a liar, but it was far from definitive, which he could have been, to my ear.
um ok.

Why do people over analyze everything? He said Ryan is the expert on that and what he said is what he wants. How much more cut and dry can it get?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:27 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Okay, this is the first time I've been legitimately feeling some excitement for this team in probably 2 months.

My one request: DON'T go the hybrid route. Half-assing it, choosing the safe ground, is why they draft 13th so damn often. Go for top 5, stockpile some picks for draft-day deals, and make a concerted effort to have a roster at least, say, 33% different as of September.
Couldn't agree more. This is a great chance to get a great draft then turn around next season and kick ass and chew bubblegum. Do what the Flyers did a few years ago. Short of a team giving you multiple lottery first round picks ala Phil Kessel trade (I still can't believe the Bruins got Seguin. So unfair, the rich get richer, yada yada yada), you can't ask for a better quick turnaround retooling than this situation.

I just hope Darcy and Lindy aren't around to **** it up. At least Darcy, at bare minimum.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:30 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
True. But I hope, internally, they have a pretty good idea of what they're looking at.

They should know where they stand prior to deadline day. There's no great mystery here. If any deals open up in the few days leading up to the deadline, they should be ready to jump in.
Absolutely. I'm sure they already have an idea. Like I said, I think this interview Black is suggesting they're going to sell. They know what direction they're headed at this point.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:32 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Couldn't agree more. This is a great chance to get a great draft then turn around next season and kick ass and chew bubblegum. Do what the Flyers did a few years ago. Short of a team giving you multiple lottery first round picks ala Phil Kessel trade (I still can't believe the Bruins got Seguin. So unfair, the rich get richer, yada yada yada), you can't ask for a better quick turnaround retooling than this situation.

I just hope Darcy and Lindy aren't around to **** it up. At least Darcy, at bare minimum.
Props on the "kick ass and chew bubblegum" line! I pray they dont make any go for it trades and just commit to being much better starting next season.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I'd like both Lindy and Darcy to go. I think Lindy is a good coach, but his time is up here.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
"This isnt Xbox" line was pretty funny. I am hoping that the rest of this road trip and continues like it has and cements them as full blown sellers.
Black: "This isn't X-Box. I wish it were that easy to make trades like we want to."

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
um ok.

Why do people over analyze everything? He said Ryan is the expert on that and what he said is what he wants. How much more cut and dry can it get?
Because that's what you do when you get half spun answers on everything. You analyze it.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM
sabresfan129103

I think it's great/hilarious that we all loved how the NBC/VS guys trashed the team last night. They deserved it.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I think it's great/hilarious that we all loved how the NBC/VS guys trashed the team last night. They deserved it.
I didn't. If it opens up the front office's eyes, then that's good, but it was pretty embarrassing, personally.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
After listening to the interview and letting it marinate, I have the sense that Ruff/Regier aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and they're going to try to trade a chunk of the players before they do anything with Ruff/Regier. Only in Buffalo.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Because that's what you do when you get half spun answers on everything. You analyze it.
K. So out of that interview today this is what I get...

Miller definitely wants a trade.

Black loves the Rochester core and is ready to extend Dipietro-esque deals to Goose, Roy, Stafford, and the rest...

Lindy and Darcy didn't make the trip to Winnipeg because they have already been let go by the team.

And Terry Pegula isn't committed to bringing the cup to Buffalo anymore; he is going to sell the team to an even more cheap wad than Golisano to teach Sabres fans everywhere to not complain and over analyze everything.

Sure glad he had that interview this morning so I know not to re-up my seasons for next year.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
K. So out of that interview today this is what I get...

Miller definitely wants a trade.

Black loves the Rochester core and is ready to extend Dipietro-esque deals to Goose, Roy, Stafford, and the rest...

Lindy and Darcy didn't make the trip to Winnipeg because they have already been let go by the team.

And Terry Pegula isn't committed to bringing the cup to Buffalo anymore; he is going to sell the team to an even more cheap wad than Golisano to teach Sabres fans everywhere to not complain and over analyze everything.

Sure glad he had that interview this morning so I know not to re-up my seasons for next year.
Awesome dude. Your sarcasm is hilarious. I guess you can only have an opinion on the topic if you agree with what you think?

Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Awesome dude. Your sarcasm is hilarious. I guess you can only have an opinion on the topic if you agree with what you think?
I agree you analyze half spun answers but I thought that one was pretty cut and dry.

No big deal.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:24 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I kinda thought the answer seemed a little bizarre as well, just was a strange way of him saying it when all he had to say was "no, he hasnt asked for a trade"