HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
*OvechKiN*

vCash: 500
All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

I just wanted to talk about Brayden Schenn a little. I've followed him since he was taken 5th overall and he was always a hard guy for me to project. I've seen him live on a couple occasions, and I watched all his WJC games. I love his game!

It seems like he goes on a tear in every league he has played in (even the small sample size in the AHL), but his production in the NHL has been underwhelming so far. I expected a 20-20-40 this season, but of course the injuries played a role also.

I haven't been able to catch any Flyers games this year, so I am wondering if you guys can comment on how his overall play has been, and what comparable or projection of Brayden is in say 3 years time from now.

Thanks,

*OvechKiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Schenn is starting to get more comfortable, and the new third line with him centering JVR and Simmonds was just starting to get rolling when JVR got hurt. They are still pretty good with Matt Reid on LW.

Brayden is smart, plays well at both ends, hits, is decent on faceoffs, has great passing talent and goes to the net. Everything he did in Jr. but he needs to learn the league. As he gets stronger physically, he'll be a beast.

If he can stay healthy (knock wood) for the rest of the season, he'll settle in very nicely and his line will provide scoring and D.

With him and Couturier in the 3C/4C roles, it gives the Flyers four good Cs behind Giroux and Briere.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
BringBackStevens

I think his health I the real question. He appears perfectly capable of becoming at least a good #2 center, but it's hard to develop when you can't stay in the lineup

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:37 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1089
There's an additional thread from earlier in the month, too, with comments related to Schenn:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1069851

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

He has to:

A. Stay healthy. Obviously not his fault, really, but him staying healthy is huge.

B. Find a comfort zone here in Philly. He has been on so many different teams the past year (LA Kings, Manchester Monarchs, Brandon Wheat Kings, Saskatoon Blades, Canada WJ team, Adirondack Phantoms, and now the Flyers). That's 7 different teams in a little over a year.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:29 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
He has to:

A. Stay healthy. Obviously not his fault, really, but him staying healthy is huge.

B. Find a comfort zone here in Philly. He has been on so many different teams the past year (LA Kings, Manchester Monarchs, Brandon Wheat Kings, Saskatoon Blades, Canada WJ team, Adirondack Phantoms, and now the Flyers). That's 7 different teams in a little over a year.

C. Move in with Danny Briere next year.
^^Just sayin.... it worked w/ Giroux and Couturier^^

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Schenn is starting to get more comfortable, and the new third line with him centering JVR and Simmonds was just starting to get rolling when JVR got hurt. They are still pretty good with Matt Reid on LW.

Brayden is smart, plays well at both ends, hits, is decent on faceoffs, has great passing talent and goes to the net. Everything he did in Jr. but he needs to learn the league. As he gets stronger physically, he'll be a beast.

If he can stay healthy (knock wood) for the rest of the season, he'll settle in very nicely and his line will provide scoring and D.

With him and Couturier in the 3C/4C roles, it gives the Flyers four good Cs behind Giroux and Briere.
I bef to differ!

At the moment, Couturier should your #2 center with Brere on his wing.
Schenn did not prove anything so far except that #3 is his ceiling....for now.
Couturier will be #1 center on this team before Schenn.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
I bef to differ!

Couturier is having his minutes kept low to prevent him from burning out. Giving him Briere's spot could end up being detrimental in the long run. I'm a fan of how Lavi is handling him so far. He should still have gas left for the playoffs...he'll need it.

01-19-2012, 11:50 AM
kicksave27

It's hard to go on tear when you only play a handful of games before you get hurt for a few weeks, repeatedly. Hopefully he stays healthy till the end of the season.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I bef to differ!

Schenn is our best face-off player already. He's been in the league for less than 16 games with us. Thats quite impressive. He's an absolute beast on the dot, and will be a perfect 2nd line centre behind Giroux for years to come.

Schenn also started rolling with some insane chemistry with JVR and Simmonds. It really is amazing how little the fanbase cares about him because they have their little play-thing in Couturier. Seeing him thrown into trade for Suter or Weber makes me sick. Maybe it's a good thing though, as it allows him to gradually develop his game here.

If people thought Mike Richards was the ceiling for this kid they are crazy. He's going to be a star. I don't remember all the fans calling Richards and Carter busts in their rookie seasons. I love the "he hasn't proved nothing quotes too".........what your telling me a 20 year old hasn't proven anything in 16 games. No **** sherlock.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I bef to differ!

This might just be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Someone's "ceiling" is the absolute best they can be. Your ceiling never changes. Brayden Schenn's "ceiling for now" is the same as his ceiling tomorrow which is the same as his ceiling 5 years from now.

Right now, Brayden Schenn is a #3C on this team... there's no disputing that. There's also no disputing that his ceiling as a player is an elite #1C.

Whether he will get there or not? That's disputable.

As far as Couturier goes, I respect your opinion, but I think my team's coach knows a little bit better how to handle him than you do.

While you might like to see him get 20 mins a night so you can get hard watching him rack up the points, I'd prefer that we give him 10 mins / night and save him for the playoffs. I know you don't care about our team, but our fans do. It's about the T-E-A-M not the individual.

The Flyers will be making the playoffs. They have a better chance to contend if Couturier is fresh and can handle increased playoff minutes. I apologize that you won't be able to see him in the #2C role scoring a PPG, but maybe next year? Or maybe even in the playoffs...

Old
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Schenn is our best face-off player already. He's been in the league for less than 16 games with us. Thats quite impressive. He's an absolute beast on the dot, and will be a perfect 2nd line centre behind Giroux for years to come.

Schenn also started rolling with some insane chemistry with JVR and Simmonds. It really is amazing how little the fanbase cares about him because they have their little play-thing in Couturier. Seeing him thrown into trade for Suter or Weber makes me sick. Maybe it's a good thing though, as it allows him to gradually develop his game here.

If people thought Mike Richards was the ceiling for this kid they are crazy. He's going to be a star. I don't remember all the fans calling Richards and Carter busts in their rookie seasons. I love the "he hasn't proved nothing quotes too".........what your telling me a 20 year old hasn't proven anything in 16 games. No **** sherlock.
Why doesn't this damn site have a "like" button?!?

By the way, I think most of our fans are still enamored w/ Schenn (one of them bought his WC jersey for 3k for gods sakes)... this guy is clearly a fan of another team and he's obviously trolling. I agree, Schenn will be a star and I thinking most of our board members agree. But the general public on HF? They've moved on to the next shiny toy (Couturier).

I'm enjoying watching them both play. I especially love how physical Schenn is though.

EDIT: The guy you responded to is a Bruins fan and is addicted to prospects. I guess it angers him the way we're allowing Couturier to progress because he wants to see prospects lighting up the league immediately.

Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 01-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
tytech

Quote:

The exact same arguement can be used against you for your claims. In only 16 games, how do you know he'll be a star. You are at the exact opposite of the equation.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Why doesn't this damn site have a "like" button?!?

By the way, I think most of our fans are still enamored w/ Schenn (one of them bought his WC jersey for 3k for gods sakes)... this guy is clearly a fan of another team and he's obviously trolling. I agree, Schenn will be a star and I thinking most of our board members agree. But the general public on HF? They've moved on to the next shiny toy (Couturier).

I'm enjoying watching them both play. I especially love how physical Schenn is though.

EDIT: The guy you responded to is a Bruins fan and is addicted to prospects. I guess it angers him the way we're allowing Couturier to progress because he wants to see prospects lighting up the league immediately.

Indeed.

Schenn is going to be a stud in the near future. Both players are going to be great but some people don't have the patience. Schenn gets injured and can't stay in the lineup so he's a bust. I'm ecstatic to have both of them on this team. Those two and Giroux are this teams future and it's extremely bright.

Schenn doesn't need to be great right now. The Flyers are a team with loads of depth which is going to allow Schenn to get comfortable and learn the game at the NHL level.

There is a reason he was the #1 prospect in the entire NHL.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Indeed.

Schenn is going to be a stud in the near future. Both players are going to be great but some people don't have the patience. Schenn gets injured and can't stay in the lineup so he's a bust. I'm ecstatic to have both of them on this team. Those two and Giroux are this teams future and it's extremely bright.

Schenn doesn't need to be great right now. The Flyers are a team with loads of depth which is going to allow Schenn to get comfortable and learn the game at the NHL level.

There is a reason he was the #1 prospect in the entire NHL.
I don't know why you bolded that part of my statement, but I agree with what you have to say.

I'm seriously sick of all of these would-be hockey analysts telling us after 16 games that Schenn has no offensive upside and is a #3 center at best and that Couturier doesn't have the offense of Huberdeau, etc.

It is just ridiculous.

Let them develop and enjoy watching them. For my money, I think Schenn and Couturier are two of the most exciting rookies in the NHL to watch (Couturier's defense is amazing as is Schenn's physicality) and when you add Matt Read w/ his wheels, you've got quite a spectacle.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I don't know why you bolded that part of my statement, but I agree with what you have to say.

I'm seriously sick of all of these would-be hockey analysts telling us after 16 games that Schenn has no offensive upside and is a #3 center at best and that Couturier doesn't have the offense of Huberdeau, etc.

It is just ridiculous.

Let them develop and enjoy watching them. For my money, I think Schenn and Couturier are two of the most exciting rookies in the NHL to watch (Couturier's defense is amazing as is Schenn's physicality) and when you add Matt Read w/ his wheels, you've got quite a spectacle.
This is really a great point.

It's great right now to be a Flyers fan, and I want to hold on to all of Schenn, Couts, and Giroux - because they are all completely different types of centers. It's so unique to have that - three potentially elite, but all elite in their own brand!

Giroux a playmaker/finesse (who does still mix it up occassionally - Forsberg-lite)
Schenn a hard checking all around forward (can pass, shoot, check) reminds me of a Roenick-Lite
And Couts of course, our big, lumbering defensive stalwart with some offensive chops as well - Eric/Jordan Staal hybrid.

Completely different styles down the middle at elite levels will make it hard for opposing teams to deal with.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Think this deserves a bump after that beauty of a hit today.

What a tank. Love that he's getting more and more physical.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:15 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post

This.

If he consistently hits and puts pts up then he is a keeper in my book.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post

More and more physical, eh?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:05 AM
martyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
is that blood on his visor?...decent splatter

martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 05:45 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:

Just for the record Giroux is our best faceoff man, with a win percentage of 52.5%. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...fPercentageAll

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
BoyntBergie

Bruins fan that was extremely impressed with Schenn yesterday. He reminded me of a faster version of Richards, they even almost have the same posture/skating style out there (though Schenn struck me as faster at first glance).

Regardless, would love to have him on our roster.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Hollywood Couturier

That picture of Schenn looks completely photoshopped but it's not.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
That is a great picture! I didn't watch the game cuz I was at work, but Saunders and Bundy were talking about Schenn and how physical they were playing. Also talking about the phantom calls the refs were making for both teams. Specifically the Chara and Voracek penatlies. Also the missed pick on Coburn where Lucic scored.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:20 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd* View Post
^^Just sayin.... it worked w/ Giroux and Couturier^^
I thought on 24/7 they said Schenn was living with Giroux this season?

anyways, last game Schenn played his best game as a Flyer. He was all over the place, throwing the body too (that hit was amazing). hopefully there's more gomes like that to come

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote