HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
  #201
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,124
vCash: 500
Anyone thinking about trading Price is out to lunch IMO.

First, what he has done this year is no different then what other 23 year old top player have done. Look at OV, Staal in Carolina or even Malkin last year, exect for Price, wining sole depend on him and being a goaltender in Montreal....that is pressure. I say we have a stud having a decent year with a crap shoot team in front of him....keep your stud IMO.

Sure he has not made us win night in and night out but our offense sure has not potted anything that would take some heat of his shoulders. I say give Price a good team in front that can produce offense enough to take some heat off and watch his numbers get better.

Now, that doesn't mean that I would not trade Price, but it sure means that I would want something more then Eberle in return. Good player just not good enough IMO to get you a Price, even if you add Harding.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
  #202
JtotheC
Registered User
 
JtotheC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I don't disagree but if it's so easy to fill the need at C, how come we haven't had a legit #1 C for 15 years? Plus, I agree with you only when it comes to D. Here's why:

I'm going to get killed on this board for saying this but drafting Price at #5 that year was a monumental mistake. It was a good draft year and we had two good goalies at the time. That pick made no sense. We could have filled other needs.

Since then, the organization (and a good portion of the fanbase) has tried to justify that pick by getting out of the way any sort of internal competition at that position. Instead of having a solid duo, now we are in a situation where we can't conceive an injury to our #1 goalie.

In recent years, goalies have become commodities. Instead of waiting the 8-9 years to develop them, there are some very good ones available every year at a low price. If you forget about Tim Thomas for a second, recent cup winners did not get a Roy-type performance to win it all.

The low return for goalies proves my point. Good Ds and forwards get a huge return while a goalie usually gets a 2nd at most. Only exception was the Avs-Caps deal and that was a huge mistake by the Avs.

Price will always have to try to live up to the hype because of his draft position and he will never shake the comparisons to Halak until he either wins it all or starts performing in must-win situations, neither of which he has done. That's a huge burden on him.
One of the unwritten rules in sports: You draft the best player available. You don't draft simply based on needs. You get the most talented player out there. It's not just in hockey, it's also in basketball, football etc.

I don't agree with the rest of your post..the only thing I agree with is that yes, you will get killed on this board

JtotheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  #203
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No owner will intentionally run his business into the ground.
We've already run the business into the ground by not rebuilding. Every year we're a bubble team and could miss the playoffs anyway. Heck, this season could be the start of a long slide anyway...

As for ownership... it's a box of chocolates dude. It all comes down to ego. The Canadiens are going to be profitable whether they make the playoffs or not. If the owner actually cares about icing a Stanley Cup winning team then yes, he'll be willing to rebuild. If short term profits are all that matters then he won't.

I'll wait and see what Molson does with his next moves before passing judgement on him. So far, what I've seen from PG does not impress me. If it's him pulling the strings then he can easily be fired. If it's Molson directing things then we're in trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's a myth that it's ever happened before, most times teams had multiple lottery picks the teams were either very poorly run(GM and owner) or basically bankrupt.
You are absolutely wrong and I've shown this to you many times. Now go back to your 'we're great and don't need any changes let's all sing Koombaya' thread.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
  #204
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Anyone thinking about trading Price is out to lunch IMO.

First, what he has done this year is no different then what other 23 year old top player have done. Look at OV, Staal in Carolina or even Malkin last year, exect for Price, wining sole depend on him and being a goaltender in Montreal....that is pressure. I say we have a stud having a decent year with a crap shoot team in front of him....keep your stud IMO.

Sure he has not made us win night in and night out but our offense sure has not potted anything that would take some heat of his shoulders. I say give Price a good team in front that can produce offense enough to take some heat off and watch his numbers get better.

Now, that doesn't mean that I would not trade Price, but it sure means that I would want something more then Eberle in return. Good player just not good enough IMO to get you a Price, even if you add Harding.
Kid has 43 points in 41 games and gets the 7th most ice-time among forwards at ES (6th in total). He's got about 10-more points than anyone on our team, too. I've watched Edmonton enough to know that he'd instantly be the best (offensive) player on this team. He has a lot of heart and you know he's going to show up every game too.

There are other options besides Harding on the UFA market. Mike Smith (although he'll probably be resigned), Al Montoya who is an absolute beast, Evgeni Nabokov, Tomas Vokoun.

And no doubt that Price would be better with a better team in front of him. Problem is, I'm not sure that's going to happen - which is what I'd be trying to create with this trade. We will take a hit in net (a very small hit if we were to sign Montoya), but we will get a huge boost offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Harding has been injured each of the past 3 years playing as a back up and missed all of last season. Hip injury the year before that and the ever mysterious upper body injury this season. I wouldnt touch that guy. It wouldnt be sideways it would be worse you would end up with Budaj Dubnyk.
Alright, there's not just Harding like I said above.

Al Montoya is one of the best young goalies in hockey right now. Kid an absolute beast and he also plays in front of a mediocre team.

After that there's Mike Smith, Evgeni Nabokov, and Tomas Vokoun.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
  #205
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I don't disagree but if it's so easy to fill the need at C, how come we haven't had a legit #1 C for 15 years? Plus, I agree with you only when it comes to D. Here's why:

I'm going to get killed on this board for saying this but drafting Price at #5 that year was a monumental mistake. It was a good draft year and we had two good goalies at the time. That pick made no sense. We could have filled other needs.

Since then, the organization (and a good portion of the fanbase) has tried to justify that pick by getting out of the way any sort of internal competition at that position. Instead of having a solid duo, now we are in a situation where we can't conceive an injury to our #1 goalie.

In recent years, goalies have become commodities. Instead of waiting the 8-9 years to develop them, there are some very good ones available every year at a low price. If you forget about Tim Thomas for a second, recent cup winners did not get a Roy-type performance to win it all.

The low return for goalies proves my point. Good Ds and forwards get a huge return while a goalie usually gets a 2nd at most. Only exception was the Avs-Caps deal and that was a huge mistake by the Avs.

Price will always have to try to live up to the hype because of his draft position and he will never shake the comparisons to Halak until he either wins it all or starts performing in must-win situations, neither of which he has done. That's a huge burden on him.
I think drafting Price was the right move. You could argue that Kopitar would've been better for us and maybe you'd be right but to call the move a monumental mistake is way off the mark. Price has been great for us and he's only 24 years old. We just need to surround him with a better team.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
  #206
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think drafting Price was the right move. You could argue that Kopitar would've been better for us and maybe you'd be right but to call the move a monumental mistake is way off the mark. Price has been great for us and he's only 24 years old. We just need to surround him with a better team.
We would have drafted Brule, not Kopitar.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
  #207
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
I think a re-build is the only way to go and with the following players.

Pacioretty - Drafted player - Cole (C)
Bourque - Eller - Gallagher
Drafted player - Leblanc - Kristo
Drafted player - White - Drafted player

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Drafted player - Emelin

Price
Drafted player

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
  #208
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezc View Post
One of the unwritten rules in sports: You draft the best player available. You don't draft simply based on needs. You get the most talented player out there. It's not just in hockey, it's also in basketball, football etc.

I don't agree with the rest of your post..the only thing I agree with is that yes, you will get killed on this board
That concept is not clear to me. Comparing the potential future contribution of forwards, Ds and goalies all mixed together is very difficult unless we are talking about a once in a generation player like Crosby.

I understand picking the best forward regardless of position or best D regardless if it's best defensive or offensive D. But when you blend all positions, makes no sense to me. Regardless, Price was not the consensus pick at #5 that year anyway, whether that be before the draft or in retrospect.

To add more oil to the fire, I would argue that those who say let's get him signed to a 10yr/7M contract are the ones who lost their marbles. How's that working for the Flyers so far? Price has the potential to be elite but he is not elite right now. Middle of the pack at best.

Can someone point to a must-win game in his four years where he stood tall? His SO record is pathetic this year. His playoff record is 8-15.
Last night was a must-win and he came out flat. Yes, the team plays like crap and I'm taking that into consideration. But he is playing average like the rest of the team.

People have to stop saying he's top-5 in the league until he actually is. Giving him anything more than 5M per year right now is insane. He has the potential but you don't reward potential, it has to be earned. Not sure what he is expecting as far as money goes but if it's 7M we must listen to offers.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:41 AM
  #209
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

There are other options besides Harding on the UFA market. Mike Smith (although he'll probably be resigned), Al Montoya who is an absolute beast, Evgeni Nabokov, Tomas Vokoun.

And no doubt that Price would be better with a better team in front of him. Problem is, I'm not sure that's going to happen - which is what I'd be trying to create with this trade. We will take a hit in net (a very small hit if we were to sign Montoya), but we will get a huge boost offensively.


Alright, there's not just Harding like I said above.

Al Montoya is one of the best young goalies in hockey right now. Kid an absolute beast and he also plays in front of a mediocre team.

After that there's Mike Smith, Evgeni Nabokov, and Tomas Vokoun.
Ridiculous. Nabakov couldnt cut it with top notch teams in SJ I am sure playing here would make him awesome. What has Montoya done to prove he is one of the best young goalies in the game, I guess he played 48 games one season. The freaking Islanders wont even make him the starter. Vokoun isnt going to come to a sinking ship in the last years of his career, even if he does he is a stop gap til the goalie you would have to draft is ready to be abused in montreal. Mike Smith.. that is a joke right, unless dave tippett comes with him. So in reality you trade price then have to find another goalie because the habs wont be good enough to have a ****** goalie, meaning trading for bernier or schneider at which point you probably still made your team worse. Montreal picked their goalie when they had 2, the only way price is being traded is if he requests it.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
  #210
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
I don't disagree but if it's so easy to fill the need at C, how come we haven't had a legit #1 C for 15 years? Plus, I agree with you only when it comes to D. Here's why:

I'm going to get killed on this board for saying this but drafting Price at #5 that year was a monumental mistake. It was a good draft year and we had two good goalies at the time. That pick made no sense. We could have filled other needs.

Since then, the organization (and a good portion of the fanbase) has tried to justify that pick by getting out of the way any sort of internal competition at that position. Instead of having a solid duo, now we are in a situation where we can't conceive an injury to our #1 goalie.

In recent years, goalies have become commodities. Instead of waiting the 8-9 years to develop them, there are some very good ones available every year at a low price. If you forget about Tim Thomas for a second, recent cup winners did not get a Roy-type performance to win it all.

The low return for goalies proves my point. Good Ds and forwards get a huge return while a goalie usually gets a 2nd at most. Only exception was the Avs-Caps deal and that was a huge mistake by the Avs.

Price will always have to try to live up to the hype because of his draft position and he will never shake the comparisons to Halak until he either wins it all or starts performing in must-win situations, neither of which he has done. That's a huge burden on him.
I agree and not because it's Carey Price, Price has worked out well to this point, but picking a goalie in the top 5 is something I don't agree with at all. THe difference between league average goaltending and very good goaltending just isn't enough. The team itself is more important. I think positional players should be the focus in the first rd. It's disagreeing with the philosophy entirely and nothing against Price.

I don't think it was a monumental mistake though, it's worked out pretty well, but I'm not a fan of picking a goalie, top 5, ever.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
  #211
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezc View Post
One of the unwritten rules in sports: You draft the best player available. You don't draft simply based on needs. You get the most talented player out there. It's not just in hockey, it's also in basketball, football etc.

I don't agree with the rest of your post..the only thing I agree with is that yes, you will get killed on this board
I disagree here, I would say best player available, unless it's a goalie.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  #212
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think a re-build is the only way to go and with the following players.

Pacioretty - Drafted player - Cole (C)
Bourque - Eller - Gallagher
Drafted player - Leblanc - Kristo
Drafted player - White - Drafted player

Tinordi - Subban
Gorges - Beaulieu
Drafted player - Emelin

Price
Drafted player
You're sure Cole will still be be with us after 5-6 years that will take?

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
  #213
SeriousHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,673
vCash: 500
We seriously need to ban any one who mentions $7M and Price in the same sentence. It would be acceptable if the rumor came from Eklund or Marinaro, but since it came from a gossip website and denied by Price's agent, it just has to stop.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
  #214
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
We would have drafted Brule, not Kopitar.
I don't think so. There was serious talk about us taking Kopitar. That's who I thought we were going to go with.

It's all moot now though right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree and not because it's Carey Price, Price has worked out well to this point, but picking a goalie in the top 5 is something I don't agree with at all. THe difference between league average goaltending and very good goaltending just isn't enough. The team itself is more important. I think positional players should be the focus in the first rd. It's disagreeing with the philosophy entirely and nothing against Price.

I don't think it was a monumental mistake though, it's worked out pretty well, but I'm not a fan of picking a goalie, top 5, ever.
As far as I can remember only a few goalies have ever gone top five. Diepietro and Lehtonen who've both been killed by injuries (Diepietro moreso), Roberto Luongo, Curtis Joseph and there were a couple of others who I think turned out to be busts.

Goalies typically don't go top five because a lot of teams are already set in net. Are you going to draft a goalie top five if you have Lundqvist? I don't think so.

At the time we had Theo and that's what made people's head shake. Turns out though that it wasn't a bad move for us after all. And hey, it could've been worse. As that other poster pointed out we might've wound up with Gilbert Brule instead.

You could argue that the best goalies of all-time were mostly drafted late and you'd be right. Those that have been drafted top five though have mostly turned into very good goalies.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
  #215
canadian_man_44
Registered User
 
canadian_man_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 482
vCash: 500
Trade Campoli, Gill, Gionta, Weber, Moen and Kostitsyn.

Trade or bury Gomez.

Pick up a star center either by trade or UFA. Also pick up a good, big veteran D man with a big shot.

Draft well.

..........and that's my list of things I would like to see happen to get the re-tooling started.

One name missing off of my list to trade that others may not agree with is Kaberle. I am of the opinion that if he has a big shot playing with him on the power play, he will put up points as a set up guy.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
  #216
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
We seriously need to ban any one who mentions $7M and Price in the same sentence. It would be acceptable if the rumor came from Eklund or Marinaro, but since it came from a gossip website and denied by Price's agent, it just has to stop.
Why ? Rinne got 7mil, it's not idiotic to think he can get something around this number.

Actually, it's a lot smarter to predict 7mil for him on the roster... if he gets less, perfect no problem... the other way around can screw a lineup over.

Who cares about rumors or not, this is a message board where 90% of talks evolve from rumors or speculations, deal with it...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:51 AM
  #217
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
We seriously need to ban any one who mentions $7M and Price in the same sentence. It would be acceptable if the rumor came from Eklund or Marinaro, but since it came from a gossip website and denied by Price's agent, it just has to stop.
Regardless if it was a legit rumor or not, it spurred an interesting conversation. There are really a lot of fans on this board who think we have to give him 7M even though he is RFA so we don't "hurt his feelings" and make him want to bolt when he becomes UFA.

I'm actually concerned that PG might be one of those people.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
  #218
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
The point is that I don't believe that Getzlaf, as an individual, is the concession player / superstar some fans are making him to be. Just take a look at Plekanec's 70 points season when Kovalev was in beast mode in 09-10. Now imagine Plekanec with a guys like Perry and Ryan on his wings, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he would be a PPG player himself.

And I'm not simply dissing on Getzlaf, don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a player of his caliber on my team, but for what his market value is established, there's no way I'd ever go after a guy like that via trades. For what Anaheim would ask to trade him, it would likely take back the Habs a few years rather than improve them substantially immediately. In my opinion, a deal for Getzlaf would most likely be centered around Subban + Plekanec, and then imagine if we have to add 1st rounders, Eller, Beaulieu or whatever... Definitely a no go from my point of view.
You're right and I agree with the fact that were not in a position to trade for a player like that because it'll only weaken our team right away. And I don't wanna get into a Getzlaf argument, but the same thing could be said the other way. Getzlaf was ripping the league before Perry became a PPG player and Ryan wasn't even in the NHL.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
  #219
PKarey Plekoretty
Registered User
 
PKarey Plekoretty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Is it wrong that every loss in my eyes this season is a win right now?

I think it's beyond ridiculous at this point to act as if we have a legit team on our hands right now

Making the playoffs will actually be a bad thing. It gives management the excuse to continue on with the team we have, it gives them a safety net to not have to make a re-tool/re-build.

Most importantly (and obviously) it takes away our shot at a top draft pick. If we could finsh low enough to get a top 5 pick this year I would love life. So, say we have a weak season nect year, weak enough to get a top 10 pick say. Then we would look like this

2012 draft: 1st round top 5 pick, 2nd round another high pick
2013 draft: 1st round top 10 pick, 2nd round TWO high picks (cause the Flames should be as bad as us next year)

So then we would be in a position with 5 picks within the first 40 picks, and hopefully 2 within the top 10

Get rid of all our dead weight (whether it be a buy out, or a ship to Hamilton for Gomez)

Trade our UFAs at the deadline for picks/prospects

Keep Price, Eller, Patches, PK, Emelin, Georges, Diaz/Weber, and have Pleks/Cole/Bourque as our vet presence and build from there

Next thing you know, hopefully guys like Louie and Tinordi can come in and live up to what we hope they will, and things could be very very different within a couple of seasons

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  #220
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
It's kind of sad to look at our team and see so little to work with.

People can bring up the youth and whatnot, but our offense has no legs to stand on and realistically none are coming up in the system. Our defense is supposed to be good looking forward, hopefully Subban can get back on track (not that he's going to be terrible if he doesn't get up the curve in a hurry) or we're also looking at a situation with no workhorse to carry the load.

The last thing I'm worried about is goaltending. We'd need a 2002 out of Carey Price to get somewhere. And that somewhere isn't really contending for the division.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  #221
DenverHabsFan
Registered User
 
DenverHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 500
My plan would be simple:

1- Replace PG

2- Trade UFAs for picks. However, I would sign AK if possible for almost same amount.

3- Trade bad contracts if possible. Again, picks.

4- Let your scouting team know this is the most important draft year for this organization. Hire temp scouts (better than JM, please) to beef up the team ahead of the draft. Cannot screw this up.

5- Draft forwards. If D are best available at our position in 1st round, trade down.

Next season, you ice a much younger roster. That will send a clear message to fans to be patient. I happen to believe fans would accept a proper rebuild since the crowd at the Bell is younger that the suits of the old days at the Forum.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
  #222
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 28,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Next season, you ice a much younger roster. That will send a clear message to fans to be patient. I happen to believe fans would accept a proper rebuild since the crowd at the Bell is younger that the suits of the old days at the Forum.
If the club actually ever does decide to rebuild, they should communicate this to everyone very clearly. Let everyone know that you are commited to icing a winner and rebuilding is the path you've chosen to do it. People will be more patient if they know there's a plan.

Right now we're losing AND making short term trades. That's what has people really ticked off. There's no light at the end of the tunnel, just and endless series of patchwork fixes.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
  #223
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,685
vCash: 152
I know some want a full rebuild but IMO watch gauthier or whoever is GM at end of year to seek out some role players and sign them to 1-3 year deals. Likely 2-3. They'll give this core 2 more years and if it doesnt work out, in 2 years at trade deadline they will trade them all for good value where we dont need to take contracts back. Maybe not a full rebuild of the tank variety but you'll see the team rebuild around the younger core.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
  #224
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We've already run the business into the ground by not rebuilding. Every year we're a bubble team and could miss the playoffs anyway. Heck, this season could be the start of a long slide anyway...

As for ownership... it's a box of chocolates dude. It all comes down to ego. The Canadiens are going to be profitable whether they make the playoffs or not. If the owner actually cares about icing a Stanley Cup winning team then yes, he'll be willing to rebuild. If short term profits are all that matters then he won't.

I'll wait and see what Molson does with his next moves before passing judgement on him. So far, what I've seen from PG does not impress me. If it's him pulling the strings then he can easily be fired. If it's Molson directing things then we're in trouble.

You are absolutely wrong and I've shown this to you many times. Now go back to your 'we're great and don't need any changes let's all sing Koombaya' thread.
What do you suggest Molson do going forward? Hire an imbecile and ice an AHL calibre team the next 3 years?

Running the team at the cap floor and having it suck for 2-3 years would be business suicide for him in Quebec, the outrage would be 50x the english coach crap.

There is no ONE formula for winning a cup or getting to contender status. For every Pittsburgh and Chicago that the franchise turned around after multiple lottery picks, you have the Blue Jackets, Islanders, Thrashers etc that had numerous lottery picks and the team stayed near the bottom, those teams are going on 10-12 years of futility...don't think it's something to aspire to.


I don't think ANYBODY is suggesting we don't need changes, but there are a lot of good pieces that can be part of a contender, some need to be retained, others need to be developped. Being bottom 5 for more than a year will have a negative impact on the young players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
  #225
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I know some want a full rebuild but IMO watch gauthier or whoever is GM at end of year to seek out some role players and sign them to 1-3 year deals. Likely 2-3. They'll give this core 2 more years and if it doesnt work out, in 2 years at trade deadline they will trade them all for good value where we dont need to take contracts back. Maybe not a full rebuild of the tank variety but you'll see the team rebuild around the younger core.
I'm not into what I understand as "tanking" either. Deliberately losing to get better picks.

However with last night's loss we don't have an honest shot to get into the playoffs. We're at 1 chance out of 11.

We can't buy anymore. We've got to sell. We'll end up getting the highest draft pick we've had in the last few years.

We don't need to "deliberately lose", we're already there, we're losing. That's the cold hard facts. Management needs to react appropriately.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.