HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather keeps Avery in limbo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
  #251
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, which included this on Avery:



I think it's fairly obvious there were some issues in the dressing room this year with Avery (MDZ-Avery incident in Carolina, Buffalo locker room incident, etc) that Torts had enough and wanted him as far away from this team as possible. When you're winning and have a great locker room, you don't need someone who's not playing in Avery to act up and get out of line. It's a distraction.
As if Avery was the only person to tip-toe that line with Theo? Read Kerry Fraser's book, there's a story in there too.

Also, what Buffalo locker room incident? Also I still don't buy the "Carolina incident." Sauer comes away from that laughing, I'm sure Avery was getting into it with someone on the 'Canes, not DZ.

This is another thing about Avery that I don't like. All speculation is immediately blown out of proportion. The Carolina thing, any little occurrence in the locker room, and he went from wearing jeans to spitting on a coach. I understand he made his own bed, but how have people not learned to gather the facts first before posting about these things?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:52 AM
  #252
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
As if Avery was the only person to tip-toe that line with Theo? Read Kerry Fraser's book, there's a story in there too.

Also, what Buffalo locker room incident?
Never said Avery was the only person to tip-toe that line with Theo. Just finished his book this morning, saw that page or so on Avery and thought I'd share. That's all.

Before the game in Buffalo, Avery brought his mom and family friend into the locker room, which is a huge no-no under Torts. The locker room is players and staff only. Clear sign of disrespect for Torts, and Avery never dressed for another game with the Rangers after that.


Last edited by Draft Guru: 01-19-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
  #253
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Never said Avery was the only person to tip-toe that line with Theo. Just finished his book this morning, saw that page or so on Avery and thought I'd share. That's all.

After the game in Buffalo, Avery brought his mom and sister into the locker room, which is a huge no-no under Torts. The locker room is players and staff only.
(Reliable) source?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:56 AM
  #254
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
(Reliable) source?
There was a link posted on these forums a while back, I believe it may have been Brooks. If I find it I'll post it.

EDIT:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...&postcount=291


Last edited by Draft Guru: 01-19-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
  #255
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
1. rupp isnt a scrub of a hockey player. and from all accounts, everywhere he has been he's been a hell of a teammate. aves, not the same.

2. calling the media over to make the sloppy seconds comment is the reason why he got hell for saying that. just because this is hockey and its not a pansy sport doesn't give you justification to go about saying things like that in the media. all that screamed was sean is a me, me, me person. if that just gets said on the ice, no issue at all.

3. whats wrong with wearing jeans and sneakers? well lets see, theres a proper dress code for the ct whale. he didnt follow it. if you had to wear a suit and tie to work everyday and you decided to show up dressed in jeans and sneakers wouldnt you get disciplined for it?
as far as family members go, i met seans father in buffalo at the beginning of the 2010 season. he is the nicest guy, got us into the morning skate. great man. however, if your coach sets rules about people being in the locker room, you follow them. it might be a silly rule, but there are other players areas and lounges that his family could have been in. torts doesnt want people in his locker room for a reason.
you're right. eveyrone here has broken rules, and paid the price accordingly. sean avery isnt any different than you or me.

4. the top two lines dont need sean avery. they need someone who can actually score.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats rich. Neither career can be considered "impressive" really.

Mike Rupp is a great teammate who sticks up for and protects his mates. Avery is a jerk, whose antics are more likely to get his teammates hurt.

That alone makes Rupp more valuable.
Khelvan's posts are extreme sarcasm, cleverly disguised.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:13 AM
  #256
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamsutta View Post
Once Avery gets waived it should become against the rules to post about him on the Rangers boards
You know what's strange...the people like you who complain about these threads aren't forced to post in them or read them. Shocking, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
You remind me of a jilted lover explaining that he is much better than the other guy.

The thing you always avoid is that multiple people who employ Avery don't want him.

In the business world, if someone is talented but keeps pissing off the boss, he gets tossed. Most people understand this.

Apparently, this escapes you.
And what you fail to understand again, and again, and again, is that using incidents from prior places to come to a fictional conclusion about his tenure his, isn't relevant.

You've yet to give anything factual that proves what a cancer in this locker room he is, what a disturbance he is, or prove that players like John Mitchell, Erik Christensen, and Mike Rupp are better than him.

But continue on with your two sentence responses that don't ever actually say anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Based on Avery's contributions on the ice, he doesn't deserve a spot on this team. He had two games where he showed up and the rest he was invisible. As usual, the myth of Sean Avery is bigger than the reality.
He had 3 goals in 15 games while getting Donald Brashear/Colton Orr type ice time. Rupp has 4 goals in 21 games. And he's lauded on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, which included this on Avery:



I think it's fairly obvious there were some issues in the dressing room this year with Avery (MDZ-Avery incident in Carolina, Buffalo locker room incident, etc) that Torts had enough and wanted him as far away from this team as possible. When you're winning and have a great locker room, you don't need someone who's not playing in Avery to act up and get out of line. It's a distraction.
Seriously? That's your argument? Why don't you go out and get quotes from Darcy Tucker and Georges Laraque while you're at it. Maybe we could use them as credible witnesses against Sean Avery.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. Avery mocking someone on the ice? Shocking. Maybe if Theo had a problem with him pretending to blow a line of coke....he shouldn't be blowing lines of coke all the time.

Ever think of that one?

In yet another example of how things work when you're Sean Avery, absolutely nothing happens between him and MDZ and it gets blown up into something.

You guys are unreal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats rich. Neither career can be considered "impressive" really.

Mike Rupp is a great teammate who sticks up for and protects his mates. Avery is a jerk, whose antics are more likely to get his teammates hurt.

That alone makes Rupp more valuable.
Pretty sure for all the people responding to Khelvan, that he's being sarcastic.

While I admire someone who has the ability to be sarcastic for that long of a post, it would be nice if he could do it while actually proving a point.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:14 AM
  #257
IHeartMattCooke
Registered User
 
IHeartMattCooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
I'm not an Avery fanboy, nor am I an Avery detractor. I'm not going to compare him to other Rangers, talk about his relationship with Torts, or even talk about talent.

When Avery was allowed to play "his game", he was VERY effective, but, In my opinion, the sad fact is that the refs will not let Avery play "his game" anymore - think back to our playoff series against Atlanta, before Avery signed with Dallas, when Kovy practically tried to throttle him on the ice as the definition of what I mean by "his game". If Avery is not allowed by the league to play "his game", he becomes a liability on the ice.

Is this fair? Absolutely not - there are other NHL players with less talent who do way worse things on the ice than Sean Avery, but I think it is what it is, and if Avery wants to play in the NHL, he is going to have to use his time in Connecticut to reinvent himself - working on positioning and backchecking would be a huge start. Just my $0.02

IHeartMattCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:15 AM
  #258
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Just finished reading Theo Fleury's book, which included this on Avery:



I think it's fairly obvious there were some issues in the dressing room this year with Avery (MDZ-Avery incident in Carolina, Buffalo locker room incident, etc) that Torts had enough and wanted him as far away from this team as possible. When you're winning and have a great locker room, you don't need someone who's not playing in Avery to act up and get out of line. It's a distraction.
But Sean Avery is a great locker room guy because Lundqvist & Richards are his friends!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
  #259
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
I have nothing against Avery, at all.

In fact, I paid $225 at the Garden last season for an Avery heritage jersey. I still wear it to games.

We're in 1st place in the NHL. Without Avery. Whether it's because Torts really thinks we have better options than him or it's because of distractions/Torts' dislike for him, who knows. But he's in charge, he made the decision that he feels is best for the team, and the standings prove that.

Everyone just needs to let it go and realize Avery's days as a Ranger are over. We have a 1st place team to cheer about, there's really no reason to keep going on and on about how this team would be better with Avery in the lineup over Mitchell/Rupp/Fedotenko, etc etc etc. The point is moot. Cheer for your 1st place team and the guys that are on the ice.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
  #260
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
You've yet to give anything factual that proves what a cancer in this locker room he is, what a disturbance he is, or prove that players like John Mitchell, Erik Christensen, and Mike Rupp are better than him.
Man, you are something else. Only a very biased fanboy can say that Avery has been better then Mitchell and Rupp this year.

I just find it very comical that you brought up Avery and Rupp's goal totals this year. Big difference, Rupp is actually doing things other then scoring. Avery, meanwhile, has not. He was nowhere near the same player he used to be on the forecheck, and he's not that great defensively.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM
  #261
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Man, you are something else. Only a very biased fanboy can say that Avery has been better then Mitchell and Rupp this year.

I just find it very comical that you brought up Avery and Rupp's goal totals this year. Big difference, Rupp is actually doing things other then scoring. Avery, meanwhile, has not. He was nowhere near the same player he used to be on the forecheck, and he's not that great defensively.
He didn't receive more than 10 minutes of ice time more than twice this season. Mitchell and Rupp more opportunities.

What exactly is Mike Rupp doing other than scoring? Trying to get in on the forecheck with his cement skates?

Mitchell finally scored in Montreal. Thank goodness. Before that he just kept getting solid minutes game after game after game and not contributing anything.

Another classic defense, "only a very biased fanboy..." and then you proceed to give us absolutely nothing but conjecture.

You guys make this so boring. At least last year some of you made it interesting.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
  #262
DrAStuart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Fun fact: If you go to the Whale Roster page on their site and look at the last column that lists "Professional Experience"...there is nothing listed there for Avery.

Kind of sums it up...he was in the NHL, but he was never "professional" while he was there

Whale Roster

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
  #263
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
You guys make this so boring. At least last year some of you made it interesting.
You mean like when you had a big problem with Prust getting more minutes? Yea, that turned out to be a huge mistake last year.

At least back then you had an argument that Avery should be getting significant ice time. Now your argument seems to be that Avery should be the 14th forward, instead of Christensen.

If your willing to accept that he's not good enough to be a top 9 player on this team anymore, then why aren't you willing to accept that the power that be may not want a $2M player taking up space as the 12th forward, or in the press box?

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
  #264
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
He didn't receive more than 10 minutes of ice time more than twice this season. Mitchell and Rupp more opportunities.

What exactly is Mike Rupp doing other than scoring? Trying to get in on the forecheck with his cement skates?

Mitchell finally scored in Montreal. Thank goodness. Before that he just kept getting solid minutes game after game after game and not contributing anything.

Another classic defense, "only a very biased fanboy..." and then you proceed to give us absolutely nothing but conjecture.

You guys make this so boring. At least last year some of you made it interesting.
John Mitchell ATOI 11:21 4G 6A in 26 games. Hrm. Let's pro-rate that for the season: 12.61 G (round it up to 13) and 18.92 A (round that up to 19) and you've got 12 G and 19 A in 82 games. Avery, last year, had 3 goals and 21 assist in 76 games which would translate to 3 G and 22 A in 82 games. 25 points (6 less than Mitchell) and 9 goals less than Mitchell. He'd have roughly 16 goals and 0 assists if you pro-rated this season, which is 15 points less than Mitchell. If you want to play the ice time card, add back in 1:30 for all the time he spent sitting in the box this year (21M) or last year (174M in 76 games = 2.29M/game).

In any event, there isn't much of a difference between what either of these guys brings to this team except that Mitchell doesn't come with all of the extra BS that Sean does and produces points at a better pace.

And, if you think Rupp doesn't bring anything to the table other than the 4 goals, you're clearly not paying attention to all of the people that want NOTHING to do with facing him when he's looking for them. The guy can frighten people. And he's got one more ring than Avery does.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
  #265
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
You mean like when you had a big problem with Prust getting more minutes? Yea, that turned out to be a huge mistake last year.

At least back then you had an argument that Avery should be getting significant ice time. Now your argument seems to be that Avery should be the 14th forward, instead of Christensen.

If your willing to accept that he's not good enough to be a top 9 player on this team anymore, then why aren't you willing to accept that the power that be may not want a $2M player taking up space as the 12th forward, or in the press box?
Don't misconstrue things after the fact. I used Prust as a comparison, that was all. If you're discussing ice time it makes complete sense to question why a fourth line player like Prust, whom I love, is getting twice as much ice time as a player with the offensive ability of Avery. That was my point. Avery never got legitimate opportunities under Tortorella. Aside from when he took over for Renney late in the season, because Torts had no choice. It's funny too, because Avery was arguably our best forward in that playoff series against the Caps and was definitely our best player in Game 7.

Also, in every post I've mentioned Mitchell, Christensen, and Rupp. Two of whom are regulars in the lineup. So how has my argument changed?

And when Mike Rupp makes the money he does and no one cares, yeah, Avery making $2 million doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
John Mitchell ATOI 11:21 4G 6A in 26 games. Hrm. Let's pro-rate that for the season: 12.61 G (round it up to 13) and 18.92 A (round that up to 19) and you've got 12 G and 19 A in 82 games. Avery, last year, had 3 goals and 21 assist in 76 games which would translate to 3 G and 22 A in 82 games. 25 points (6 less than Mitchell) and 9 goals less than Mitchell. He'd have roughly 16 goals and 0 assists if you pro-rated this season, which is 15 points less than Mitchell. If you want to play the ice time card, add back in 1:30 for all the time he spent sitting in the box this year (21M) or last year (174M in 76 games = 2.29M/game).

In any event, there isn't much of a difference between what either of these guys brings to this team except that Mitchell doesn't come with all of the extra BS that Sean does and produces points at a better pace.

And, if you think Rupp doesn't bring anything to the table other than the 4 goals, you're clearly not paying attention to all of the people that want NOTHING to do with facing him when he's looking for them. The guy can frighten people. And he's got one more ring than Avery does.
Again, back to the "baggage" excuse. He's done nothing in his tenure as a Ranger. There's no evidence to the contrary that his teammates don't like him. We have plenty of evidence that they do, and none that they don't. So unless you or anyone else who wants to spew the slander about that has anything factual, I'm going to refrain from giving any validation to your thoughts on this topic.

Who exactly is afraid of Mike Rupp? He's gotten into fights with worthless heavyweights this season. So what? How is that a deterrent? All I kept hearing before the season was how he was going to take the load off of Prust. Guess what? Prust fights just as much as he did last season. Do you know why? Because guys like Rupp are completely useless. They don't deter anything because anyone that isn't a worthless heavyweight isn't going to fight them. Prust is the guy who answers the bell for this team. And that has never changed.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
  #266
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Again, back to the "baggage" excuse. He's done nothing in his tenure as a Ranger. There's no evidence to the contrary that his teammates don't like him. We have plenty of evidence that they do, and none that they don't. So unless you or anyone else who wants to spew the slander about that has anything factual, I'm going to refrain from giving any validation to your thoughts on this topic.
Really? Interesting. I'll do the same for your biased views on all that is Avery. Baggage implies his entire career, that's why it's baggage. I didn't narrow it down to his "tenure as a Ranger", I sum it up as his entire career which isn't even debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Who exactly is afraid of Mike Rupp? He's gotten into fights with worthless heavyweights this season. So what? How is that a deterrent? All I kept hearing before the season was how he was going to take the load off of Prust. Guess what? Prust fights just as much as he did last season. Do you know why? Because guys like Rupp are completely useless. They don't deter anything because anyone that isn't a worthless heavyweight isn't going to fight them. Prust is the guy who answers the bell for this team. And that has never changed.
Prust has as many majors as he does because Rupp wasn't around (knee surgery) and the guy just can't say no. If you can't see Rupp's impact on the team and on other teams, then you simply aren't paying attention. And, clearly, Sean is a middleweight and can't fill Rupp's shoes in the heavyweight category.

(Edit) I find it pretty interesting, btw, that you chose to completely ignore the fact(s) that Mitchell out produces Avery. Kinda sums up why people are tired of debating you and call you biased.


Last edited by haohmaru: 01-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
  #267
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Don't misconstrue things after the fact. I used Prust as a comparison, that was all. If you're discussing ice time it makes complete sense to question why a fourth line player like Prust, whom I love, is getting twice as much ice time as a player with the offensive ability of Avery. That was my point. Avery never got legitimate opportunities under Tortorella. Aside from when he took over for Renney late in the season, because Torts had no choice. It's funny too, because Avery was arguably our best forward in that playoff series against the Caps and was definitely our best player in Game 7.

Also, in every post I've mentioned Mitchell, Christensen, and Rupp. Two of whom are regulars in the lineup. So how has my argument changed?

And when Mike Rupp makes the money he does and no one cares, yeah, Avery making $2 million doesn't matter to me.
Your point is invalid though because Avery got plenty of ice time early last season. He lost it when Prust began to outplay him and bit into it. Not really looking to rehash this conversation, but let's look back on last year for a moment. Avery averaged a little over 11 mins of ice time. He put up 3 goals. Prust average over 13 a half mins of ice time. He put up 13 goals. You tell me which player look like the 3rd liner & which looks like the 4th liner. There's not as significant of a difference in ice time as you want to pretend. And this is ignoring the other things that Prust brings, while Avery continued his pattern of inconsistent play.

Your argument has changed because you were arguing that Avery should be a 3rd liner. Now your arguing that he should be a 4th liner (like Mitchell or Rupp) or a scratch (like Christensen). You are indirectly acknowledging that he's been outplayed by others.

His pay should matter to you. It's a huge part of why he's not here. You can discount Rupp all you want, but the fact is that he brings plenty more to the table in a 4th line role, which he is, than Avery would. His experience, size, leadership, and yes fighting ability, all play a role. A role that Avery does not bring.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
  #268
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Really? Interesting. I'll do the same for your biased views on all that is Avery. Baggage implies his entire career, that's why it's baggage. I didn't narrow it down to his "tenure as a Ranger", I sum it up as his entire career which isn't even debatable.



Prust has as many majors as he does because Rupp wasn't around (knee surgery) and the guy just can't say no. If you can't see Rupp's impact on the team and on other teams, then you simply aren't paying attention. And, clearly, Sean is a middleweight and can't fill Rupp's shoes in the heavyweight category.

(Edit) I find it pretty interesting, btw, that you chose to completely ignore the fact(s) that Mitchell out produces Avery. Kinda sums up why people are tired of debating you and call you biased.
Exactly. Anyone with a brain that has followed his career should be able to understand that it worked for him when he was here. You have nothing when it comes to his tenure here. Why do I care about Dallas or Los Angeles or anywhere else? I don't. Cause it has nothing to do with him in New York. So thanks for proving my point, because you have absolutely nothing factual to prove anything. Just conjecture and assertions. Your entire argument is based on the fact that he had issues elsewhere.

I can see what Rupp brings to the table just fine. If you can't see how much better a hockey player Avery is than John Mitchell, it's not even worth discussing with you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Your point is invalid though because Avery got plenty of ice time early last season. He lost it when Prust began to outplay him and bit into it. Not really looking to rehash this conversation, but let's look back on last year for a moment. Avery averaged a little over 11 mins of ice time. He put up 3 goals. Prust average over 13 a half mins of ice time. He put up 13 goals. You tell me which player look like the 3rd liner & which looks like the 4th liner. There's not as significant of a difference in ice time as you want to pretend. And this is ignoring the other things that Prust brings, while Avery continued his pattern of inconsistent play.

Your argument has changed because you were arguing that Avery should be a 3rd liner. Now your arguing that he should be a 4th liner (like Mitchell or Rupp) or a scratch (like Christensen). You are indirectly acknowledging that he's been outplayed by others.

His pay should matter to you. It's a huge part of why he's not here. You can discount Rupp all you want, but the fact is that he brings plenty more to the table in a 4th line role, which he is, than Avery would. His experience, size, leadership, and yes fighting ability, all play a role. A role that Avery does not bring.
Why don't you go back and tell me how many of Prust's goals came shorthanded. It's a bit of a different situation. Prust played great last season. I love Prust. How does he look offensively this year?

Wake me up when any of these guys we're talking about have consistent career numbers of double digit goals and 30 plus points.

Then maybe you guys will have a case.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #269
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 500
Ruckus

Your posts are getting even weaker.

Avery metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization and your defense is that he should be on the Rangers because he is better than Christiansen.

Why do you avoid that pissing off your employer is grounds for dismissal?

Why afraid to address it?

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
  #270
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
There was a link posted on these forums a while back, I believe it may have been Brooks. If I find it I'll post it.

EDIT:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...&postcount=291
Interesting, I missed that. Probably because these days I really only follow the beat guys on twitter and usually don't read what they write in blogs/game stories.

To me, that seems like a minor problem. But I'll say again and again Avery made his own bed here. It's hard to deny that he pissed off Torts, whether or not it was something that should piss someone else off is certainly debatable but I won't get into that here, and Torts is the coach. You're gonna have a tough time cracking the lineup, based on talent or not, when the coach doesn't like you.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:45 PM
  #271
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,614
vCash: 500
Theo Fleury calling out Avery?!??!--you know I liked Theo when he was here but if there was a more ****ed up locker room presence than Theo in the last 20 years I don't know exactly who that would be. I really don't think I'd put a lot of credence in what he says about the Rangers locker room.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
  #272
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ruckus

Your posts are getting even weaker.

Avery metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization and your defense is that he should be on the Rangers because he is better than Christiansen.

Why do you avoid that pissing off your employer is grounds for dismissal?

Why afraid to address it?
He metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization? Huh?

And where did I ever say anything about pissing off your employer?

Again, for the 500th time, if you could give me some shred of evidence about what he did as a Ranger, it'd be easier to address.

But you can't, so you resort to your typical nonsense like this.

As if you're the only one with knowledge of these things.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
  #273
Khelvan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus* View Post
He metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization? Huh?

And where did I ever say anything about pissing off your employer?

Again, for the 500th time, if you could give me some shred of evidence about what he did as a Ranger, it'd be easier to address.

But you can't, so you resort to your typical nonsense like this.

As if you're the only one with knowledge of these things.
That's right! We all know that hockey players never back up their current teammates and would be quite happy to throw Sean under the bus if he actually did anything wrong. Especially on a Torts run team - he doesn't know how to handle the press. Screw respect for the game! That clown doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sean has obviously been a model citizen since joining the Rangers. The fact that no current Rangers have spoken out about him is 100% proof that everyone in the organization loves him. Anyone who says anything different is a hater who has been influenced by the PC, liberal media.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
  #274
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus* View Post
He metaphorically spit on the Rangers organization? Huh?

And where did I ever say anything about pissing off your employer?

Again, for the 500th time, if you could give me some shred of evidence about what he did as a Ranger, it'd be easier to address.

But you can't, so you resort to your typical nonsense like this.

As if you're the only one with knowledge of these things.
You're just going to ignore these, but, here goes:

The Smid "sucker punch" incident
The "whoops, I wasn't supposed to put this heritage jersey pic on Twitter?" incident
The LAPD "fat little pigs" incident
The "OMG, he called me a ***" incident with Simmonds
The "I didn't get the sneaker/T-shirt memo" incident
The "Twice called for abuse of officials in an AHL game" incident
The "Frolov racial slur" incident
The "I'll trash talk my current coach so they'll trade me" incident:

"I have a lot to prove, and I have a lot of game left after not being allowed to play my game for the last four years," the 31-year-old said.

"I guarantee that I'll play my a** off and give everything I have for the team that will give me the chance I wasn't getting (by Rangers coach John Tortorella). That team will be getting a guy who has a lot to prove."

The "wave my stick around like an idiot in front of the goalie and create a new rule" incident
The "whoops, why did Tim Thomas head butt my stick" incident
The "Bodreau weight problem" incident:

But that was tame compared with what Boudreau recalled Avery saying during Game 7 in the first round of the last year's playoffs against the New York Rangers.
"He told me I was the biggest, fattest bleeping pig he had ever seen," Boudreau said in the book. "He told me I was fatter than bleeping Ken Hitchcock. He told me I was going to die because I was such a fat bleep."

etc...

Please, this guy is hardly a model player for what you want for your organization and it's at the point where it's more about Avery and his behavior than it is about Avery and what he brings on the ice.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:12 PM
  #275
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus* View Post
He had 3 goals in 15 games while getting Donald Brashear/Colton Orr type ice time. Rupp has 4 goals in 21 games. And he's lauded on here.
When Sean was waived before the season you said goals (3 goals in 80 games last season) were not that important and pointed to his assists. Now you are talking goals and ignoring his 0 assists in 15 games. Seems a bit contradictory.

By the way Rupp brings a legit heavyweight big, a guy that will throw his body, and a guy that will block some shots. Sean had 10 hits and a single blocked shot in 15 games. You should have at least 3 blocked shots in 15 games by accident alone. Rupp has 38 hits and 8 blocked shots.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.