HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part V*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  #51
SherWood Lumber 76
Registered User
 
SherWood Lumber 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
A highlight reel of him playing positional defense? How often do you see those, for anyone? I understand your point but the elements of his game that translate to highlight reels are just what you said you don't want to see.
Dan Girardi highlights wouldn't be too exciting except to Ranger fans - poke check, blocked shot, breakup two on one - I don't even read he's doing these things much less seeing him doing that in games I've watched him play online. Yet he's so positionally sound that team Canada didn't even give him a whiff!

The most unspectacular 10 pick I can recall. That doesn't mean he's garbage, but it also doesn't exude absolute certainty he's gonna be able to do it at the NHL level if he isn't standing out at the junior level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
who are the meanest, nastiest players in the game on the defensive end who can take regular nhl shifts?

how many of them are taken outside the first round?

wasnt a fan of the mcilrath pick, but boy oh boy, if he pans out, adding that kind of nasty to a defense that is already borderline elite (when healthy) makes me absolutely drool.
A player like that could also be totally out of place on a defense that is positionally sound and disciplined.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
  #52
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,441
vCash: 500
That McIlrath hit looks like one of those instances where he's coming in for a big hit and the opposing player side-steps him enough that he has to extend his arms to avoid missing the hit all together. Not dirty, just a natural reaction. He definitely got him with the elbow I think.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
  #53
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post


A player like that could also be totally out of place on a defense that is positionally sound and disciplined.
i dont see how. mean & nasty are not mutually exclusive from positionally sound and disciplined.

In the preseason I'd say McIlrath played equal to or even outplayed most of the defenseman currently on the squad in terms of positional play. granted, it was the preseason, but still, i was VERY happy with his play during the games he got...with that said, he looked awful in traverse city, so there are some warts in his game for sure.

im not a fan of the pick, but ill tell ya, the way this team is currently built, if Mcilrath becomes a mainstay on this club, you'd have the best defense the Rangers have ever had in their history. You could also then move Sauer + for some forward help too.

Girardi - McDonagh
MDZ - Staal (move MDZ over to his offside, he can do it)
Erixon - McIlrath

That's elite right there (if the bottom two pan out.)

Inferno is online now  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #54
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,911
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
Dan Girardi highlights wouldn't be too exciting except to Ranger fans - poke check, blocked shot, breakup two on one - I don't even read he's doing these things much less seeing him doing that in games I've watched him play online. Yet he's so positionally sound that team Canada didn't even give him a whiff!

The most unspectacular 10 pick I can recall. That doesn't mean he's garbage, but it also doesn't exude absolute certainty he's gonna be able to do it at the NHL level if he isn't standing out at the junior level.
I didn't say anything about what he is or isn't. My point was simply that you won't find many highlight reels of teenagers that excel at the poke check or maintaining their lanes.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
  #55
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont see how. mean & nasty are not mutually exclusive from positionally sound and disciplined.
Perhaps not in every case, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. If you look around the league, the players that tend to be the most sound positionally are not overly physical. When you then look at their success rate, you may also see that the former tends to be more integral for winning than the latter.

There are definitely exceptions to the rule, but not many. It's just a natural by product of the way players develop, and this is true in all sports, not just hockey. Physically gifted athletes focus less on fundamentals during their development. What made Michael Jordan so incredible, for example, was that he was the first super-athletic player to also be the most fundamentally sound player in the league. His attention to detail on the fundamentals was as great as his athleticism was advantageous.

So many big power forwards or big physical defensemen dominate in juniors and then get taken to school in the NHL. It's the same reason why so many basketball players who were awesome 1 on 1 players, great dunkers, or fancy dribblers get to the NBA and fizzle out. In the big leagues, they've figured out how to counter those issues, which means players have to change their game. Hard to do if you've never focused on those elements before.

Quote:
In the preseason I'd say McIlrath played equal to or even outplayed most of the defenseman currently on the squad in terms of positional play. granted, it was the preseason, but still, i was VERY happy with his play during the games he got...with that said, he looked awful in traverse city, so there are some warts in his game for sure.

im not a fan of the pick, but ill tell ya, the way this team is currently built, if Mcilrath becomes a mainstay on this club, you'd have the best defense the Rangers have ever had in their history. You could also then move Sauer + for some forward help too.

Girardi - McDonagh
MDZ - Staal (move MDZ over to his offside, he can do it)
Erixon - McIlrath

That's elite right there (if the bottom two pan out.)
Aside from injury concerns, why would you move the one who is the best and most consistent in terms of positioning, while also probably being one of the cheapest? Eventually, a lot of those guys are going to want to get paid, and I suspect that as long as he stays healthy, Sauer will be a much better value than some of the others. I think this team is very close, so guys might be willing to take discounts to stay, but still...only so much budget to go around. Trading Sauer would be a mistake, IMO.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
  #56
SherWood Lumber 76
Registered User
 
SherWood Lumber 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Agreed, he had a good camp, very nice showing.

I don't see much change in his game from last season. Some would say expectations should be higher so should his play.

I like the D pairings you listed, if MCi can keep up the toughness without losing his defensive position its a score, if not he's a liability. I like his chances.

Regardless, I'd like to see him play tough but smart, I know thats asking for way too much

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
  #57
SherWood Lumber 76
Registered User
 
SherWood Lumber 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I didn't say anything about what he is or isn't. My point was simply that you won't find many highlight reels of teenagers that excel at the poke check or maintaining their lanes.
How about a breakout pass or defensive play that leads to a goal, something, anything !

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
  #58
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
St. Croix just scored a natural hattrick

Nice way to break out of his slump
I was just getting ready to go with the theorem that Newoilburnsclean and MSC are one and the same.

It was no coincidence that since NOBC went on vacation MSC has been scoreless. I am still sticking to that theory.

Edit: That McI hit was a complete elbow. You can't do that in today's game. He deserves to be suspended, not going to opine on length.


Last edited by Miamipuck: 01-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Miamipuck is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
  #59
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !
 
n1cON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here & there
Country: Germany
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doming07 View Post
McIlrath hit starts at 4:12 or so....


If link doesn't work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqf-5...ayer_embedded#!

Kabooom

Hard to say if it´s shoulder to head or even an elbow, happened so fast.
Ayway, just got destroyed...

n1cON is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
  #60
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Kabooom

Hard to say if it´s shoulder to head or even an elbow, happened so fast.
Ayway, just got destroyed...
Not sure why you would be cheering a high hit that nearly got a player concussed. I'm all for huge hits, but McIlrath clearly went high with his arm/elbow. Exactly the type of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. A couple shots like those in the big league and he'll be looking at lengthy suspensions.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
  #61
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,911
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't know that it's "clear," at least from the video posted above. His arm is up after the collision, but that can just be a natural part of the follow through. I'm not saying it definitively wasn't a dirty hit, but I don't know how anyone can watch that video and say for sure that it was.

nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
  #62
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !
 
n1cON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: here & there
Country: Germany
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not sure why you would be cheering a high hit that nearly got a player concussed. I'm all for huge hits, but McIlrath clearly went high with his arm/elbow. Exactly the type of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. A couple shots like those in the big league and he'll be looking at lengthy suspensions.
Sorry mate, didn´t want to sound like I found it ok. You´re right with your point, there´s nothing to say against. Just was some kind of "wow totally owned" as I saw it the 1st time, when I saw the vid the 3rd time I thought, ***k man...

So I had could wait to with my post a bit and better posted after the 3rd time watching it...

n1cON is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
  #63
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,928
vCash: 500
The defensive depth chart is right where it needs to be. The great thing is that if indeed McIlrath does make the big club at some point, it will be on nothing but solid merit. He will likely have to over come some stiff challenges and force some difficult decisions. Exactly as it should be.

I would not be in any rush to trade Sauer. Not at all. He a very fundamentally sound player. And as I've said often, if McIlrath can someday be the player Sauer was pre-consussion.....well then you've got yourself one hell of a player.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
  #64
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't know that it's "clear," at least from the video posted above. His arm is up after the collision, but that can just be a natural part of the follow through. I'm not saying it definitively wasn't a dirty hit, but I don't know how anyone can watch that video and say for sure that it was.
Well I'd say it's closer to dirty than it is to clean, even if we can't be 100% sure. But if you loop the clip from 5:41 to 5:43 and watch it a few times I think it becomes somewhat clear that his arm/elbow is up before he hits his opponent. True, the guy he crushed is a lot shorter than he is, but regardless Dylan appeared to make no effort to keep his arm down and get the guy with his shoulder. It's a high hit, and one that the league does not look favorably upon. I have no argument with him being ejected for it.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
  #65
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Sorry mate, didn´t want to sound like I found it ok. You´re right with your point, there´s nothing to say against. Just was some kind of "wow totally owned" as I saw it the 1st time, when I saw the vid the 3rd time I thought, ***k man...

So I had could wait to with my post a bit and better posted after the 3rd time watching it...
No worries. He did kill that guy...so yeah, it was a sick hit. I just wish he had tried harder to keep his arm down...he still could have laid the guy out with a clean hit as opposed to taking his head off.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
  #66
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
Looking forward to a player who can dish out the punishment on the back-end. Sauer has been awesome when he is healthy.

Make players keep their heads up and take notice for when he is on the ice.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
  #67
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,389
vCash: 500
I really like McIlrath and think his mean game could make the Rangers a lot harder team to play against. Saying that though--to me he targets the head on that play. I like tough but I don't like head shots like that.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
  #68
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,791
vCash: 500
Can McIlrath save some these hits for Celine Dion Phaneuf?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
  #69
E Nixson
Powered by Intel
 
E Nixson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 878
vCash: 500
I hate watching a kid get smoked like that... I Certainly hope he's okay. He could hardly get up.

Gotta know who's wing your flying up on. That said, McIlrath should have held up a bit... There is no way of knowing what his intent was, but that looked vicious.

E Nixson is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:24 PM
  #70
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,911
vCash: 500
Awards:
Yogan with 1G and 1A tonight.

nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
  #71
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
JT Miller had 0 points again tonight. His team lost 3-0 and were outshot 34-9. Maybe the team went out drinking too hard last night?

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:29 PM
  #72
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
ST.Croix hatty http://www.oilkings.ca/

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
  #73
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Can McIlrath save some these hits for Celine Dion Phaneuf?
really cannot wait for a player that hits to destroy someone. were not a soft team but opposing teams definitely don't have to keep their heads up playing us.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
  #74
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,301
vCash: 500
Big fan of JT Miller but this streak is a little unsettling. Hope he can find a way to pick it up.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
  #75
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Big fan of JT Miller but this streak is a little unsettling. Hope he can find a way to pick it up.
One has to wonder if he got hurt at the WJC

NYR Viper is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.