HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part V*

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
SherWood Lumber 76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
A highlight reel of him playing positional defense? How often do you see those, for anyone? I understand your point but the elements of his game that translate to highlight reels are just what you said you don't want to see.
Dan Girardi highlights wouldn't be too exciting except to Ranger fans - poke check, blocked shot, breakup two on one - I don't even read he's doing these things much less seeing him doing that in games I've watched him play online. Yet he's so positionally sound that team Canada didn't even give him a whiff!

The most unspectacular 10 pick I can recall. That doesn't mean he's garbage, but it also doesn't exude absolute certainty he's gonna be able to do it at the NHL level if he isn't standing out at the junior level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
who are the meanest, nastiest players in the game on the defensive end who can take regular nhl shifts?

how many of them are taken outside the first round?

wasnt a fan of the mcilrath pick, but boy oh boy, if he pans out, adding that kind of nasty to a defense that is already borderline elite (when healthy) makes me absolutely drool.
A player like that could also be totally out of place on a defense that is positionally sound and disciplined.

Old
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

That McIlrath hit looks like one of those instances where he's coming in for a big hit and the opposing player side-steps him enough that he has to extend his arms to avoid missing the hit all together. Not dirty, just a natural reaction. He definitely got him with the elbow I think.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post

A player like that could also be totally out of place on a defense that is positionally sound and disciplined.
i dont see how. mean & nasty are not mutually exclusive from positionally sound and disciplined.

In the preseason I'd say McIlrath played equal to or even outplayed most of the defenseman currently on the squad in terms of positional play. granted, it was the preseason, but still, i was VERY happy with his play during the games he got...with that said, he looked awful in traverse city, so there are some warts in his game for sure.

im not a fan of the pick, but ill tell ya, the way this team is currently built, if Mcilrath becomes a mainstay on this club, you'd have the best defense the Rangers have ever had in their history. You could also then move Sauer + for some forward help too.

Girardi - McDonagh
MDZ - Staal (move MDZ over to his offside, he can do it)
Erixon - McIlrath

That's elite right there (if the bottom two pan out.)

Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
Dan Girardi highlights wouldn't be too exciting except to Ranger fans - poke check, blocked shot, breakup two on one - I don't even read he's doing these things much less seeing him doing that in games I've watched him play online. Yet he's so positionally sound that team Canada didn't even give him a whiff!

The most unspectacular 10 pick I can recall. That doesn't mean he's garbage, but it also doesn't exude absolute certainty he's gonna be able to do it at the NHL level if he isn't standing out at the junior level.
I didn't say anything about what he is or isn't. My point was simply that you won't find many highlight reels of teenagers that excel at the poke check or maintaining their lanes.

It's just pain.
Old
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont see how. mean & nasty are not mutually exclusive from positionally sound and disciplined.
Perhaps not in every case, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. If you look around the league, the players that tend to be the most sound positionally are not overly physical. When you then look at their success rate, you may also see that the former tends to be more integral for winning than the latter.

There are definitely exceptions to the rule, but not many. It's just a natural by product of the way players develop, and this is true in all sports, not just hockey. Physically gifted athletes focus less on fundamentals during their development. What made Michael Jordan so incredible, for example, was that he was the first super-athletic player to also be the most fundamentally sound player in the league. His attention to detail on the fundamentals was as great as his athleticism was advantageous.

So many big power forwards or big physical defensemen dominate in juniors and then get taken to school in the NHL. It's the same reason why so many basketball players who were awesome 1 on 1 players, great dunkers, or fancy dribblers get to the NBA and fizzle out. In the big leagues, they've figured out how to counter those issues, which means players have to change their game. Hard to do if you've never focused on those elements before.

Quote:
In the preseason I'd say McIlrath played equal to or even outplayed most of the defenseman currently on the squad in terms of positional play. granted, it was the preseason, but still, i was VERY happy with his play during the games he got...with that said, he looked awful in traverse city, so there are some warts in his game for sure.

im not a fan of the pick, but ill tell ya, the way this team is currently built, if Mcilrath becomes a mainstay on this club, you'd have the best defense the Rangers have ever had in their history. You could also then move Sauer + for some forward help too.

Girardi - McDonagh
MDZ - Staal (move MDZ over to his offside, he can do it)
Erixon - McIlrath

That's elite right there (if the bottom two pan out.)
Aside from injury concerns, why would you move the one who is the best and most consistent in terms of positioning, while also probably being one of the cheapest? Eventually, a lot of those guys are going to want to get paid, and I suspect that as long as he stays healthy, Sauer will be a much better value than some of the others. I think this team is very close, so guys might be willing to take discounts to stay, but still...only so much budget to go around. Trading Sauer would be a mistake, IMO.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Agreed, he had a good camp, very nice showing.

I don't see much change in his game from last season. Some would say expectations should be higher so should his play.

I like the D pairings you listed, if MCi can keep up the toughness without losing his defensive position its a score, if not he's a liability. I like his chances.

Regardless, I'd like to see him play tough but smart, I know thats asking for way too much

Old
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Quote:
I didn't say anything about what he is or isn't. My point was simply that you won't find many highlight reels of teenagers that excel at the poke check or maintaining their lanes.
How about a breakout pass or defensive play that leads to a goal, something, anything !

Old
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
St. Croix just scored a natural hattrick

Nice way to break out of his slump
I was just getting ready to go with the theorem that Newoilburnsclean and MSC are one and the same.

It was no coincidence that since NOBC went on vacation MSC has been scoreless. I am still sticking to that theory.

Edit: That McI hit was a complete elbow. You can't do that in today's game. He deserves to be suspended, not going to opine on length.

Last edited by Miamipuck: 01-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by doming07 View Post
McIlrath hit starts at 4:12 or so....

If link doesn't work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqf-5...ayer_embedded#!

Kabooom

Hard to say if it´s shoulder to head or even an elbow, happened so fast.
Ayway, just got destroyed...

Old
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Kabooom

Hard to say if it´s shoulder to head or even an elbow, happened so fast.
Ayway, just got destroyed...
Not sure why you would be cheering a high hit that nearly got a player concussed. I'm all for huge hits, but McIlrath clearly went high with his arm/elbow. Exactly the type of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. A couple shots like those in the big league and he'll be looking at lengthy suspensions.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't know that it's "clear," at least from the video posted above. His arm is up after the collision, but that can just be a natural part of the follow through. I'm not saying it definitively wasn't a dirty hit, but I don't know how anyone can watch that video and say for sure that it was.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Not sure why you would be cheering a high hit that nearly got a player concussed. I'm all for huge hits, but McIlrath clearly went high with his arm/elbow. Exactly the type of hit that the NHL is trying to eliminate. A couple shots like those in the big league and he'll be looking at lengthy suspensions.
Sorry mate, didn´t want to sound like I found it ok. You´re right with your point, there´s nothing to say against. Just was some kind of "wow totally owned" as I saw it the 1st time, when I saw the vid the 3rd time I thought, ***k man...

So I had could wait to with my post a bit and better posted after the 3rd time watching it...

Old
01-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Pizza

The defensive depth chart is right where it needs to be. The great thing is that if indeed McIlrath does make the big club at some point, it will be on nothing but solid merit. He will likely have to over come some stiff challenges and force some difficult decisions. Exactly as it should be.

I would not be in any rush to trade Sauer. Not at all. He a very fundamentally sound player. And as I've said often, if McIlrath can someday be the player Sauer was pre-consussion.....well then you've got yourself one hell of a player.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I don't know that it's "clear," at least from the video posted above. His arm is up after the collision, but that can just be a natural part of the follow through. I'm not saying it definitively wasn't a dirty hit, but I don't know how anyone can watch that video and say for sure that it was.
Well I'd say it's closer to dirty than it is to clean, even if we can't be 100% sure. But if you loop the clip from 5:41 to 5:43 and watch it a few times I think it becomes somewhat clear that his arm/elbow is up before he hits his opponent. True, the guy he crushed is a lot shorter than he is, but regardless Dylan appeared to make no effort to keep his arm down and get the guy with his shoulder. It's a high hit, and one that the league does not look favorably upon. I have no argument with him being ejected for it.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:29 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Sorry mate, didn´t want to sound like I found it ok. You´re right with your point, there´s nothing to say against. Just was some kind of "wow totally owned" as I saw it the 1st time, when I saw the vid the 3rd time I thought, ***k man...

So I had could wait to with my post a bit and better posted after the 3rd time watching it...
No worries. He did kill that guy...so yeah, it was a sick hit. I just wish he had tried harder to keep his arm down...he still could have laid the guy out with a clean hit as opposed to taking his head off.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
NYR Viper

Looking forward to a player who can dish out the punishment on the back-end. Sauer has been awesome when he is healthy.

Make players keep their heads up and take notice for when he is on the ice.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:56 PM
eco's bones

I really like McIlrath and think his mean game could make the Rangers a lot harder team to play against. Saying that though--to me he targets the head on that play. I like tough but I don't like head shots like that.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Can McIlrath save some these hits for Celine Dion Phaneuf?

Old
01-19-2012, 02:20 PM
E Nixson