HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

McLellan on FAN590 at 9:20 this morning

Old
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
And we have seen samples of the pre-Lindros JT with the Sharks.
Really? I thought it was pretty much established that after Lindros, Thornton was pretty much scared into playing his perimeter finesse play style and hasn't gone back. While I guess having him act completely like he did in his teens and early 20s is probably a bad idea it'd be nice to see him play a slightly more intimidating game. There's no way he can't find a balance of the crazy pre-lindros Thornton and the more finesse Thornton without hurting the team. Right?

Don't get me wrong though. I love Thornton more than any other Shark, but I dunno something doesn't seem right about his current play.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Really? I thought it was pretty much established that after Lindros, Thornton was pretty much scared into playing his perimeter finesse play style and hasn't gone back. While I guess having him act completely like he did in his teens and early 20s is probably a bad idea it'd be nice to see him play a slightly more intimidating game. There's no way he can't find a balance of the crazy pre-lindros Thornton and the more finesse Thornton without hurting the team. Right?

Don't get me wrong though. I love Thornton more than any other Shark, but I dunno something doesn't seem right about his current play.
I don't know, but the few games I have seen this year. It just seems that thornton just doesn't have the luck as he did before, before if he got a pass off in the offensive zone it was basically a given it was a goal, lately it seems those same passes get stopped most of the time. (Talking about the passes that actually land on his linemates stick)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:30 AM
SJeasy

Quote:

Vancouver, Cooke fight. Anaheim, Getzlaf fight. There have been other occasions. The results weren't there. I want relentless rather than contentious. Keep the puck in the o-zone every time his line is on the ice. Relentless backcheck with steals, like we had a look at last year. Pass and drive the net (give and go, a rarity).

IMO, he is modifying his game yet again. Trying for higher percentage passes. Trying to be less focused on one linemate. IMO, he is being asked to keep his feet moving which is one heavy duty change. Trying to be less predictable. I respect his passing accuracy, but he needs more than that to make himself an SC winner.

I suspect he has been highly opinionated about what works and that it takes a lot for him to change his thought process and game because of the partial successes that he has enjoyed. And his opinions have been strongly reinforced by the unquestioning adulation of the fans, GMs, coaches and hockey players alike. He needs to grow beyond that. Not an easy hill to climb. It's a process where many highly touted players fail and few succeed.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Looking at the scoring list, only Malkin and Giroux are on pace for 100 points atm. The Sedins are on pace for ~90 atm and Stamkos 93. Scoring is either down or just spread out. I think 75-80 pts would be pretty good for an out of his prime Thornton when there's only a couple of 100 point scorers per season the last couple seasons. I think 70 points would be equivalent to a 85-90 point season several years ago when it was higher scoring.

I don't care about Thornton fighting or hitting. I just want him to drive to the freaking net when there's an opening. Who's gonna stop him? Only way they'll stop him is to take a penalty. I hate when he has an opening and he pulls the puck back to look for someone to pass to. Just take it strong to the net. There's been 3-4 times this year when he had a semi-breakaway and he chose to wind up and take a long distance shot into of trying to beat the defenseman to the net and deke the goalie. What's the point of taking a slapper to the net when there's no Sharks around for the rebound. That only worked once against Anaheim when Pavs scored.

Look at the first goal in the video. I want to see him do that.

Last edited by Negatively Positive: 01-19-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:34 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Oh come on... He doesn't play a finesse game anymore. He is constantly in the oppositions face and has become quite the pest.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Oh come on... He doesn't play a finesse game anymore. He is constantly in the oppositions face and has become quite the pest.
Finesse compared his Bruins days.

and thanks for the explanation Easy. I appreciate it.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
zeus

I think what he's missing is a "closer" like Cheechoo was in his heyday!

zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Either coach misspoke or he really said dependable or consistent or there was a less in there. Cuz right now Jumbo does look pretty predictable which is the problem.
Haven't seen a no-look pass by him in months!

Kegsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Haven't seen a no-look pass by him in months!
I have, they just overwhemingly (this season) end up on the stick of a player on the opposing team.

ChompChomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:44 PM
SFtoBoston
Left-Heart-In-SF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
If he did take a hit he'd explode and shatter into a million little Havlats with contracts that are still better than Heatley's.
x2

SFtoBoston is offline   Reply With Quote