HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Regin (season ending shoulder surgery)

Old
01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Ice-Tray

vCash: 500
In my opinion, regardless of how any of us feel about Regin, I doubt the organization lets him go for nothing. He is an NHL calibre player, and if he can't win a spot on our team then we can send him down, release him to Europe, trade him, or watch him go on waivers.

Letting assets go for nothing when they are young with upside is probably not the answer.

In addition, this is a top notch organization that has shown tremendous loyalty to it's players in the past. It's not as though Regin is LeClaire or anything (injury wise, or 2 positions vs. 13). I'm sure we will qualify him and give him a chance to get his career back on track. To do otherwise would be a pretty negative message to a player who injured himself playing for your team.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Alf Silfversson

vCash: 50

Why wouldn't the Sens re-sign Regin?

Regin >>>> Konopka
Regin >>> Condra
Regin >> Daugavins
Regin > Butler
Regin >>>>>>>>>>> Filatov

This is a 25 year old with NHL experience, playing a variety of roles, who will come cheap and is superior in his abilities than a number of current roster forwards. His injury history is his only drawback.

Starting when he was 25 Daniel Alfredsson missed 76 games over a 3 year span. It turns out he still had a few good years left in him.

Regin has the ability to fill every spot in the top 6 outside of #1 center when he is healthy. All is rosy with Turris right now, but there is no guarantee that a young player won't struggle for stretches next year. Having someone who can push him or replace him when needed is a good thing.

Alf Silfversson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
No idea if Regin will be-resigned...

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Regin-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Zibanejad-Neil
Greening-Smith-Condra
Butler

IMO, it depends if Petersson and/or Stone (could also be guys like Da Costa, Noesen, Hoffman...) make the team and what kind of impact they can have. But he won't be let go for nothing. He's still an asset and NHL scouts are not blind, Regin is a quality player when healthy.
Stone may make the team on the fourth line, Petersson is a long shot even should Alfie retire.

Silfverberg is probably the only sure player to make the team, with Zimba kind of a wait and see.

Things may get even more complicated if Murray makes a move prior to the trade deadline, since he has clearly said he doesn't want a rental.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Silfverberg-Turris-Zibby
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Regin-Neil.

Mother of god.

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
jbeck5

The sens will resign thim. They may or may not trade him depending on how needed he is, but they definitely won't let him just walk. There will be room. Konopka and winchester won't be back.That opens up 2 spots right there. Throw in the fact regin is still better then condra and butler.

It's bad asset management to let him just walk. I see him being in our top 9 best forwards next year unless we bring in someone new via trade or UFA.

It wouldn't make sense to not qualify him.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
dpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
I don't hate Regin, I just think his time with the Senators is done. I'm actually shocked that me saying he is all but done with this team has produced such a strong response from people. He doesn't do anything special for this team, and he's obviously easily replaced, as evidenced by the play of the Senators this year without him in the lineup.

If the majority of people see Silfverberg and Zibanejad having very good chances of cracking the lineup next year, with Da Costa waiting in the wings, and with Filatov having a relatively outside chance of getting in, I just don't see the need to keep an injury prone player like Regin around when the contract he is taking up can be used to sign someone else. Keep in mind that teams only have 50 contracts to hand out, so why use one on a player who, for all intents and purposes, isn't needed anymore because his spot has already been replaced?

He is a natural centre and he for sure isn't going to bump any of the top 3 centres (Spezza, Turris, Smith), and he's not suited to the 4th line checking role, so he doesn't fit there. He might be able to sneak in on the wing, but he will be in for a dog fight with Michalek, Greening, Condra, Foligno, Alfie (if he doesn't retire), Neil, Butler, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, and Filatov to land a spot in the top 9, not to mention other players who will warrant a decent look in camp like Hoffman and maybe Stone, Prince, Noesen, etc., even though those guys are probably all Bingo bound. I just don't think it makes sense to have a soft player like Regin play on the 4th line in a checking role, even if he has more offensive skill than Daugavins, Winchester and Konopka. They aren't really there to score. They are there to cycle the puck, check hard, be responsible defensively, win key faceoffs, maintain a high level of physical play and wear down the opposing d-men. Regin is not at all the guy you want playing that role.

And let's be honest here, he's not the type of player who can generate offense himself, so if he isn't on a top line, or even an offensive one, he's not going to do much. He's got skill, but not enough to make other players better. Kind of a dime-a-dozen player, really.

I'm of the opinion that the Sens should trade him for whatever they can get (and it won't be much), or just release him and bid him good riddance because the team is able to move on without him and they can use his contract space to either bring in a UFA or sign someone to develop in Bingo.

I agree with your assesment on Regin 100% Harf.

I don't see him playing another game in the NHL let alone the Sens. He is way overrated by many Sens fans becasue he scored a few goals in a losing playoff series 2+ years ago. The guy has done nothing since. We have too many gamers on this team and comming in to fit a non-gamer in the lineup.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Sens Rule

I think the Senators resign Winchester too. He is to useful, as has been shown by how poor the 4th line is without him.

Regin and Winchester resigned (If they appear healthy in June/July), Konopka let go as UFA. Alfredsson is having too much fun winning to quit. Kuba is resigned for 2 or 3 years because he is our second best defenceman all season.

So that makes the forwards next season:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Condra-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith-Regin
Silvfenberg-Winchester-Neil
Butler
Zibanejad
Daugavins

Yeah we have 15 forwards... we also had 15 this year and now Regin and Winchester are injured long term. Depth is good and you can send the rookies to Bingo for awhile... or if they play great then Condra or Greening move down.

Just my opinion. Winchester is useful... very effective PKer and 4th line centre. Regin is excellent defensively and offensively and can play any forward position on any line if he needs to.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Bobby Blowhard

I'll go out and say that Peter Regin is the most underrated player on the team at the moment. His injuries along with the success of the team of late have all but erased many people's memory of Regin. He is a very serviceable player. Can play on a scoring line and has the defensive awareness and speed to play on a lower line if needed. Has a shot, is good in the cycle and above average playmaking abilities.

All Regin needs is a string of games where he remains healthy and on a line that he can find chemistry with, preferably at centre, and there is no doubt in my mind that the flashes of solid top six play that we have seen will become a reliable component of his game.

He is still a developing player and I cant wait to see him back. It didnt take long to prove his worth for his short stint last time and I'm sure it wont again next time.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 03:08 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
In my opinion, regardless of how any of us feel about Regin, I doubt the organization lets him go for nothing. He is an NHL calibre player, and if he can't win a spot on our team then we can send him down, release him to Europe, trade him, or watch him go on waivers.

Letting assets go for nothing when they are young with upside is probably not the answer.

In addition, this is a top notch organization that has shown tremendous loyalty to it's players in the past. It's not as though Regin is LeClaire or anything (injury wise, or 2 positions vs. 13). I'm sure we will qualify him and give him a chance to get his career back on track. To do otherwise would be a pretty negative message to a player who injured himself playing for your team.
I agree, Regin could easily replace Condra on the 2nd line with Turris & Alfredsson. He has the speed & skill to play on the top 6 plus he is just as good defensively. He could also push Z. Smith to the 4th line or to LW should Ottawa decide to go with 3 scoring lines. The point is with Regin on this team Maclean has more options depending on who they are playing against since it looks like they will continue to carry 22 or 23 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Stone may make the team on the fourth line, Petersson is a long shot even should Alfie retire.

Silfverberg is probably the only sure player to make the team, with Zimba kind of a wait and see.

Things may get even more complicated if Murray makes a move prior to the trade deadline, since he has clearly said he doesn't want a rental.
My guess is that Stone will likely start the yr in Bingo & if he can continue to score in Bingo as he has in junior than there is the possibility that he is called up to Ottawa around the trade deadline to see if he is NHL ready before they deal anyone. Keep in mind that Greening, Butler & Condra all have contracts for next season plus Zibanejad & Silfverberg could also be on the roster & they could also re-sign a few players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Silfverberg-Turris-Zibby
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Regin-Neil.

Mother of god.
Why is Greening on your 4th line??? The guy continues to produce yet people still don't think he is good enough to be on the top 6. I know he doesn't have that smooth skating style or elite offensive skill but he does everything well including break up offensive chances against reducing our goals against. He now has 11 goals & 26 pts in 49 games. Did anyone think he would do this well & he could end up with over 30 pts in his rookie yr. It remains to be seen whether Silfverberg will be better than Greening in his rookie season.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Steve Loyd has just tweeted that Regin will be having season ending shoulder surgery, same surgery as before. Another tough yr for Regin.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

why'd it take so long for him to decide to do it?

01-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

So, is there any word on exactly what type of injury it is?

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
KA BLAMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
why'd it take so long for him to decide to do it?
Maybe he tried rehabbing it to no avail?

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Real blow for Regin, not had the best fortune recently has he

But I'm not gonna start with all this "Regin'll come back next season even better", it's been said before (by me, and countless others) and he's not gone on to show that potential he showed in the SC against Pittsburgh... The futures not looking good for Regin

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Real blow for Regin, not had the best fortune recently has he

But I'm not gonna start with all this "Regin'll come back next season even better", it's been said before (by me, and countless others) and he's not gone on to show that potential he showed in the SC against Pittsburgh... The futures not looking good for Regin
From what I remember, it's the same injury that pretty much killed Marek Svatos' career (two surgeries on the same shoulder). This seems eerily reminiscent.

Sucks.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

It's too bad when a player puts off surgery so long that it risks his ability to rehab properly over the summer. He'll have a tough time next year too if he hasn't had time to build up the muscles around that injury. That's an area that takes a lot of pounding. If he plays tentative then he'll be useless to himself and the team.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2012, 11:00 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Sucks for the way it's ending for Regin. For his season and his career with the team. Bye Regin

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 03:51 AM
misplacedsensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
I think the Senators resign Winchester too. He is to useful, as has been shown by how poor the 4th line is without him.

Regin and Winchester resigned (If they appear healthy in June/July), Konopka let go as UFA. Alfredsson is having too much fun winning to quit. Kuba is resigned for 2 or 3 years because he is our second best defenceman all season.

So that makes the forwards next season:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Condra-Turris-Alfredsson
Foligno-Smith-Regin
Silvfenberg-Winchester-Neil
Butler
Zibanejad
Daugavins

Yeah we have 15 forwards... we also had 15 this year and now Regin and Winchester are injured long term. Depth is good and you can send the rookies to Bingo for awhile... or if they play great then Condra or Greening move down.

Just my opinion. Winchester is useful... very effective PKer and 4th line centre. Regin is excellent defensively and offensively and can play any forward position on any line if he needs to.
I agree with this, even with Regin having season ending surgery, he will be cheap to sign on a 1 year deal and if it doesn't work we can try to trade him or put him on waivers. I think it would be worth the gamble, we aren't giving anything up for him other than a roster spot if he is healthy.

I also like the forward group you put together. Mine would be:

Greening-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfie
Foligno-Zibby-Regin
Condra-Smith-Neil
Winchester
Daugavins

I think that is 4 lines that contribute and puts both rookies in positions where they can succeed.

I agree winchester is too useful to let walk, I just hope he can come back from this concussion. I also think Daugavins can be useful, he brings energy and plays hard every shift and is good on the PK.

I like butler and have been impressed in a handful of games, but I think we have better players in the pipeline.

misplacedsensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Proust

I'm not sure you can play in today's NHL after having the same surgey on the same shoulder twice in two years. He might want to consider doing the smart thing and playin a less physical league, before he cannot play at all.

It's too bad... he was a very promising prospect.

Proust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
I'm not sure you can play in today's NHL after having the same surgey on the same shoulder twice in two years. He might want to consider doing the smart thing and playin a less physical league, before he cannot play at all.

It's too bad... he was a very promising prospect.
did he have surgery before?

i thought he didnt...

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Derivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silfverberger View Post

Why wouldn't the Sens re-sign Regin?

Regin >>>> Konopka
Regin >>> Condra
Regin >> Daugavins
Regin > Butler
Regin >>>>>>>>>>> Filatov

This is a 25 year old with NHL experience, playing a variety of roles, who will come cheap and is superior in his abilities than a number of current roster forwards. His injury history is his only drawback.

Starting when he was 25 Daniel Alfredsson missed 76 games over a 3 year span. It turns out he still had a few good years left in him.

Regin has the ability to fill every spot in the top 6 outside of #1 center when he is healthy. All is rosy with Turris right now, but there is no guarantee that a young player won't struggle for stretches next year. Having someone who can push him or replace him when needed is a good thing.
You're only comparing players on overall skill, not the role they play on the team. Regin isn't an enforcer, isn't a hockey player, isn't physical, hasn't shown he hsa a scoring touch and isn't a former 6th overall pick.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
Michalek-Spezza-Alfie
Silfverberg-Turris-Zibby
Foligno-Smith-Condra
Greening-Regin-Neil.

Mother of god.
Alfie's mom is our 13th foward?

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
arglebargle

vCash: 1225
He's not going to get much more than league minimum wherever he goes, and if he pulls through he might be a decent top 6 forward. He's managed to look good in the top 6 before which is more than you can say for a lot of the forward prospects.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:05 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Surgery is always the last option.

It's a shame for Regin. Hopefully he can get himself fixed. I don't know how optimistic I'd be about it though. Once your shoulder is wrecked, it never gets back to 100%.

It's a flimsy joint.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Alfie's mom is our 13th foward?

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote