HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Tortorella

View Poll Results: Torts Job Approval Rating
Approve 83 92.22%
Disapprove 1 1.11%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Let's not make this "clown "'out to be Scotty Bowman and start s ing his D just yet . To use his own logic , he's only as good as his last game . Outside the Stanley cup team Torts has had a pretty poor play off record as a coach . Several missed play offs , one cup one 2nd round appearance and the rest out in first round . The NYR season is just beginning , once again to use Torts logic and nothing is in the barn yet . The teams emergence is as much about the players is it is about "'TORTS "
.The NYR def pay more attention to detail more consistently on defense and this is leading to wins . Lundqvist play is probably the biggest factor and I'd like to think between him and the test if the plAyers most any big leaque coach would win . The reason i say this is most any big league coach would evaluat this group and realize a defensive system is the only way the team as built can compete in the cap era NHL . Any coach that tried to play a European puck possession style ala Red Wings or try and trade chances ala Washington would not keep his job in NY very ling because the team would be losing big .
Torts has done a good job don't get me wrong but unless the team gets at least to a conference final or Actually wins it all according to Torts logic nothing has been accomPlished and therefore is just "'BS " to use his own words
Outside of his greatest success in the playoffs he's had less success in the playoffs...

How about outside of those other playoffs he's been perfect in the playoffs? Just as arbitrary.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Dorado*

Anyone could have coached that team loaded with all stars and won let's call a spade a spade

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
You mean the exact same system that everyone on here loathed when Renney implemented it?
WHOA.

Are you trying to tell me Renney and Torts play the same system?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
WHOA.

Are you trying to tell me Renney and Torts play the same system?
Describe the differences. They both revolve around taking care of their own end first and offense is entirely dependent on forechecking. The only real difference is that Torts has better offensive defenseman to work with and he encourages them to pinch when appropriate. Whether or not Renney would have done that as much isn't even worth talking about because he didn't have the type of D to do that.

Their system's are a lot more similar than they are different. That much is for sure.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
At this point does anyone not support the guy? Just came up in another thread and I was curious if there were any "torts the clown" people still out there, and if so why.
I was clicking my heels together when they hired him and now that he is entrenched in the job, he has created a metamorphisis here in terms of conditioning, hard work and accountability amongst all his players. In my eyes, he is the guy who will lead this team to the promised land if not this year then in the next 2 or 3 years given that he is still our coach. Is he harsh at times? Absolutely! Does he say things that at times are out of character and wrong? No question! But, he is also hands down the best coach this team has had since Mike Keenan roamed the sideline for a resounding one season.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:45 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I was clicking my heels together when they hired him and now that he is entrenched in the job, he has created a metamorphisis here in terms of conditioning, hard work and accountability amongst all his players. In my eyes, he is the guy who will lead this team to the promised land if not this year then in the next 2 or 3 years given that he is still our coach. Is he harsh at times? Absolutely! Does he say things that at times are out of character and wrong? No question! But, he is also hands down the best coach this team has had since Mike Keenan roamed the sideline for a resounding one season.
I don't doubt his influence on this organization in certain capacities. But I do think that a lot of his flaws might be things that keep this team from reaching the promised land. At this point I think he has the ability to take us deep, I just don't know if I believe in him enough when it comes to being an in game strategic head coach to get it done. This is not Tampa Bay. There are not Lecavalier's, St. Louis', and Richards' in their prime.

This team is either going to need an upgrade in offensive talent, and as a coach he's going to need to be accepting of that and find a way to make the most out of that player rather them putting him on one of the bottom two lines and cutting their minutes, or as some point we might need a coach that actually pays attention to the other end of the ice.

It's strange. Everyone was so thrilled about the Safe Is Death mentality when he was signed, and now he's become a coach that openly admits he doesn't give players any instruction when it comes to the offensive end of the ice. It's a pretty interesting turnaround.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
OverTheCap

Renney utilized a 1-2-2 trap and emphasized "five in the picture." Tortorella employs a 2-1-2 forecheck. Both coaches preach defensive responsibility but the systems are different.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Pros

Fixing Del Zotto
Positive development of numerous other young players
Reliance on high IQ players such as Callahan and Hagelin
Team chemistry and work ethic
Strong team defensive concept
Improved line management in 11-12 season
Ability to utilize/revitalize role players and cast-offs

Cons

Mishandling of Drury
Mishandling of Avery
Inability to make the most of a potentially useful asset in Zherdev
Poor line management prior to 11-12 season
Not giving Richards and Gaborik a longer period of time to achieve chemistry
Penchant for over reliance on role players
Continued struggles on the PP (still not enough talent, but they should be doing more with what they have)

Overall, not too thrilled with his performance prior to this season, but he has improved and adapted. He wasn't a great fit for the team as it was constructed before, and if they hadn't made the jump to playoff contention, he still wouldn't be. He's a good fit for the team where it is right now, however. I'm satisfied.
This is an excellent post with very good pros and cons here. I love Torts but I agree he can be a little pigheaded with his decisions at times. That being said, no matter how this team finishes up, it has to win a round or two or it will be an abysmal failure with plenty of blame to go around.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
He's done so many good things for this team that I think it's nearly impossible to disprove he is a great coach for this team. He's turned players who were let go by other organizations and made them into players on this team, mainly Boyle and Prust, partially Feds. Every season, youth is being injected into the line-up and more is on the way. He's also a very good teacher for these younger players. Props goes to Gernander in Hartford, but Torts is getting a lot out of guys that are under 25 and some have never been in Hartford.

Any coach that gets more out of the sum of his parts than what the result should be is a good coach, hands down. I also find he is forgiving to his players when they make mistakes. He comes back to them after their failures and they perform for him. He does preach accountability and he follows what he says. Think about the last couple of games. He put John Mitchell with Gaborik and Stepan because Anisimov is not performing. How does Mitchell reward his decision? Scoring goals in consecutive games. It's also not going to mean Anisimov is going to not get a chance to play with the top 6 again, but he'll have to earn it, same went with Dubi.

That's why I think he's a great coach. The players love him, he tells it like it is, and never lets media sway his mind.
Well done! Personally, I couldn't have articulated my thoughts on Torts and the team any better.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

my only complaint right now his ridiculous favoritism to guys like prust and boyle and how hes extra hard on guys like anisimov and gaborik.

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:58 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Renney utilized a 1-2-2 trap and emphasized "five in the picture." Tortorella employs a 2-1-2 forecheck. Both coaches preach defensive responsibility but the systems are different.
Keyword being defense. Torts also has a better roster defensively, by miles. That helps. Renney was trying to cover up for that porous defense his entire tenure here.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
my only complaint right now his ridiculous favoritism to guys like prust and boyle and how hes extra hard on guys like anisimov and gaborik.
This will never end. He doesn't accept players who don't throw their weight around physical and go to dirty areas all the time. Which is why it's so strange to me that he likes Richards.

Old
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Cons

Mishandling of Drury - He stunk/was average before Torts ever arrived and became chronically injured. Torts also felt that guys like Callahan, Staal, and Dubinsky should be the leaders of the team and gave them big minutes in big spots; something that is paying off now

Mishandling of Avery - As much as I liked Avery, in the grand scheme of things, he was such an insignificant part of the team that no one can bash Torts for it. I know he disliked him from the start, but let's not make Avery out to be that big of a piece of the team's success. This coming from the person who made the "Avery Effect" (although it was half jokingly made) thread earlier in the season.

Inability to make the most of a potentially useful asset in Zherdev - Zherdev was lazy, soft, and didn't fit in the system. He failed everywhere else he's gone. You can't turn crap into gold

Poor line management prior to 11-12 season - Ok

Not giving Richards and Gaborik a longer period of time to achieve chemistry - I think having Gaborik on one line and Richads on another was genius. Why stack your lines when you can win by having the two guys separated and create matchup issues? Stepan and AA stepped up and have played very well with Gaborik. Gaborik has 23 goals, Richards has 15. I'd say that both are are par for their normal seasons

Penchant for over reliance on role players - Over reliance? Sure he plays Boyle and Prust a lot, but this isn't the Renney days where the fourth line was on the ice after every goal and when the team desperately needed a goal (Torts only does this when the other lines have sucked balls and the 4th line has been generating offense all game)

Continued struggles on the PP (still not enough talent, but they should be doing more with what they have) - The biggest issue I have
Bolded

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
because Tortorella rewards effort, he knows what guys like AA and Gaborik are capable of and wants to get as much out of them as he can. If Boyle and Prust are producing at 100% and Gaborik and AA are producing at 80%, then of course Torts is going to try to get the other 20% out of the other two. He knows that they are both good players and wants to help them consistently realize that potential. If you're a manager and you have someone who works their ass off and does average work and then you have someone who kind of half-***** it and does just as good work, don't you think you're going to push the 2nd guy harder because you know they're capable of more? Plus people make it out like Torts treats them like crap, which is probably far from the truth.

It also sends a message that if you try hard and give your all, you will be rewarded.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
because Tortorella rewards effort, he knows what guys like AA and Gaborik are capable of and wants to get as much out of them as he can. If Boyle and Prust are producing at 100% and Gaborik and AA are producing at 80%, then of course Torts is going to try to get the other 20% out of the other two. He knows that they are both good players and wants to help them consistently realize that potential. If you're a manager and you have someone who works their ass off and does average work and then you have someone who kind of half-***** it and does just as good work, don't you think you're going to push the 2nd guy harder because you know they're capable of more? Plus people make it out like Torts treats them like crap, which is probably far from the truth.

It also sends a message that if you try hard and give your all, you will be rewarded.
Is that why he threw Gaborik under the boss after we lost to Philly two years ago...You know, the year the Rangers wouldn't have even had a chance to make the playoffs if it weren't for Gabby and his 42 goals and 86 points..

Old
01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I've seen enough to know that if I was a player a) I'd pour out my guts for Tortorella and b) I could see right through Laviolette. That's more than enough for me.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
56 to 0 to 1?

Wow, I am the clear minority on HF these days

Only because ODC went missing.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Went unsure...

While most of the reason that the Rangers are at the top is in goal. So maybe this should be a Benny Allaire poll instead?
Yep, tonight proved it. The Rangers have been pretty average of late everywhere but in net.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:35 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
WE LOST...season over

GET RID OF HIM, SEASON OVER.

WHAT WAS HE DOING OTNIGHT SERIOUSLY MY GOD SEASON OVER FIRE HIM HE SUCKS

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
tlallstar6

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to tlallstar6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlallstar6 View Post
WE LOST...season over

GET RID OF HIM, SEASON OVER.

WHAT WAS HE DOING OTNIGHT SERIOUSLY MY GOD SEASON OVER FIRE HIM HE SUCKS
the horror. tank now

tlallstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:44 PM
THOR77

this should be the line up tort need to stop ****en line combo up

FORWARDS
Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / John Mitchell ($0.650m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
Anton Stralman ($0.900m) / Stu Bickel ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

THOR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Dorado*

TORTS has to be held accountable for wanting his beloved " RICHIE " here who will one of the big culprits for the massive 2 nd half collapse we are about to undertake . 6.6 M reasons why we won't be able to bring a few more offensive players here . Newsflash as good as Lundqvist is and as good as some of our young D Men and " system" is this team can not generate any offense on a consistent basis . You can't expect to win every game 2-1 3-0 with an empty netter . It's unreasonable to think that D men or forwards or goalies are going to occasionally not play a perfect game . One thing that always keeps you in games is an ability to score . Earlier in the season we came from behind A few times but the last few weeks once we give up the first goal or fall behind it's back to the same old Rangers who can't generate any offense . It's not just one game or a " skid " this is what this team was predicted to do and water is starting to level . I hope I'm wrong but the writing is on the wall . The team is headed in the right direction but the " scorers "
On this team have completely dried up . Richards has been brutal and unnoticeable as of late . Passing up that shot on the PP to make a bad pass through traffic at the end of the second last night was a huge momentum swing moment and "'Captain Clutch " choked on it . I wish Torts and Glen would have done like Olivia Munn and just liked Wade Richards as " just a friend " . He has a lot of playing to do to make up for this last 2 months of sucking . He deserves 4th line ice time

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote