HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So it is true (MSG quiets the crowd noise)

Old
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vengeance View Post
yeah, people in my section - myself included - could barely hear the goal song.
its not that they are turning the volume down, they're just playing an instrumental o fthe goal song instead, no words

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 View Post
A tiny bit off topic but did anyone else who was at the game yesterday feel like the speakers were turned down a bit? When the Rangers scored I barely heard the goal horn or the goal song. The first goal was borderline awkward because no one really knew when to start yelling "go-o-oal." A lot of the music and other stuff seemed quieter than usual too. The guy in front of me said the same thing, I just wanna make sure we're not crazy.
Seems like that happens once in a while. Every now and then they will play that instrumental that trueblue mentioned which throws everyone off.

01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Jersey Girl

I totally agree that MSG Network has to be muting the crowd noise to some extent. Almost from the drop of the puck last night you could hear and feel the energy of the crowd. Why MSG Network would want to suppress that, I have no clue. Doesn't even make sense.

The NBC/Versus and now NBCSN mikes make it sound so loud I wanted to buy tickets again. Shouldn't MSG Network be doing that as well?

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
MSG does how many games a yr? I'm not saying they wouldn't benefit from more mics or cams or whatever, but sometimes it's just not in the budget... especially if you're spending that money on new sets, or other technology.

I'd be surpreised if they were spending money to dampen anything.
That doesn't make it sound better - no pun intended - it makes our owner an idiot! No problem dishing out the money for FAs in either hockey or basketball but can't throw in the extra cash to amplify the sounds of the game?

This is also the same guy that has 5 teams playing for his network (Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres, Knicks).

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Weiss View Post
That doesn't make it sound better - no pun intended - it makes our owner an idiot! No problem dishing out the money for FAs in either hockey or basketball but can't throw in the extra cash to amplify the sounds of the game?

This is also the same guy that has 5 teams playing for his network (Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Sabres, Knicks).
I'm not saying that's what it is... just offering a possible reason. I have no idea.

Sometimes upper managment makes decisions to cut cost in areas they feel won't be noticed, or it might have something to do with all the construction... I'm not saying any of these are correct... just possibilities.

I could see the construction maybe playing a part... NBC and their stuff comes in, is set up and then they strike it. MSG may have more permanent mics/equip... that haven't been set-up yet due to the construction.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

I think it's much more likely that they just don't have as good production values/mics set up rather than some kind of conspiracy to dampen crowd noise, which wouldn't make sense.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

MSG is definitely quieter during the broadcasts in general. Having listening to Tampa's home feed and 24/7 it seems that hockey noises are more pronounced. You hear the boards banging better, you hear the skating better. Maybe its just me, but I've noticed a clear difference, between MSG's feeds and other teams feeds.

01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

Crowd noise = essential IMO.

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
I do a lot of live TV for my job...crowd noise can play havoc on the announcers mics...they keep it low for that reason.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Everyone turns down crowd noise, or else the voice of a single commentary would be lost.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

I'd say it has to do a lot with where the home team broadcasters sit. I think we've come to the conclusion that MSG lower's the Devils crowd noise because Steve and Chico sit, in the lower bowl, in the club area and naturally, all noise has to be muted. Think tonights game in Chicago. You can tell how the raise and lower the volume when they score because the goal horn goes from clear to muffled and back to clear.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:33 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
I think it's much more likely that they just don't have as good production values/mics set up rather than some kind of conspiracy to dampen crowd noise, which wouldn't make sense.
Having been inside an MSG Truck I can assure you they have top of the line, state of the art equipment.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
nyrmetros

Crowd is very quiet today.... On msg...

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote