HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Should the qmjhl and whl adopt the exceptional player rule like the ohl?

Old
01-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Should the qmjhl and whl adopt the exceptional player rule like the ohl?

The ohl is currently the only chl league that allows a player to be granted exceptional player status to play as a 15 year old. John tavares was the first player to be granted this, and he seems to have benefited from it as he was a 1st overall draft pick and now an nhl all star at 21. Aaron ekblad was the 2nd player and he is currently playing his 15yo season and from what I've heard he is doing well. The talk now is that 97 born connor mcdavid could get it for the upcoming draft. Personally I think the q and whl should also do this. Players like crosby and mackinnon could have played at 15 in the q and fit in very well imo. Why is it only the ohl does this?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:32 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Each league can grant an exceptional player status to player with permission of Hockey Canada. The Halifax Mooseheads tried to get Crosby exceptional status but the request was turned down.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORTSMANIAC View Post
Each league can grant an exceptional player status to player with permission of Hockey Canada. The Halifax Mooseheads tried to get Crosby exceptional status but the request was turned down.
That was under the old rules where a player could play for his hometown team at 15 and then enter the draft (spezza, fata). The ohl now has an official application process for 15 year olds to enter the draft.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
That was under the old rules where a player could play for his hometown team at 15 and then enter the draft (spezza, fata). The ohl now has an official application process for 15 year olds to enter the draft.
Still each player has to go through Hockey Canada's application process for exceptional player status. Exceptional player status isnt just a rule put in place by the OHL, its governed by Hockey Canada who has the majority of say if a player is granted the status. A player in the Q territory could apply for exceptional status but no one hasnt since Crosby.

It just happens the two most recent cases have come from the OHL

Old
01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Still each player has to go through Hockey Canada's application process for exceptional player status. Exceptional player status isnt just a rule put in place by the OHL, its governed by Hockey Canada who has the majority of say if a player is granted the status. A player in the Q territory could apply for exceptional status but no one hasnt since Crosby.

This is what I thought as well. Players apply to Hockey Canada, and HC has the say, not the CHL.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
BigBlue11

why didn't crosby get it?
size?

BigBlue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 04:35 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

I have never seen why he wasnt given exemption except for this article
Quote:

5'8", 167 lb. Cole Harbor, Nova Scotia native Sidney Crosby, a 14-year-old center who scored an astounding 217 points (106g,111a) in 81 games while leading the Dartmouth Subways Midget AAA team to the finals of the Air Canada Cup in April, will be playing for Shattuck-St. Mary's this fall.

Crosby, who decided on Shattuck yesterday, is the consensus #1 pick for the 2003 QMJHL draft. That means he could be a one-year-player at the Faribault, Minn. prep school, like current Rimouski Oceanic defenseman Brent MacLellan, who played for then-Shattuck coach Andy Murray in 1998-99 before heading for the Q. But it's far from a done deal. There are strong indications that Crosby, an A student in Nova Scotia, might opt for the NCAA, in which case he could be playing Jr. A in the fall of 2003... or even staying at Shattuck. He'll be going into the 10th grade this fall.

Crosby's final choices for the upcoming season were the Notre Dame Hounds Jr. A, the famous prep school/hockey factory in Wilcox, Sask. which competes in the SJHL; the Antigonish Bulldogs, a Jr. A team in Nova Scotia; and the Georgetown Raiders (OPJHL), also a Jr. A team.

The Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL) tried to get a hometown exemption for Crosby so he could play major junior last fall but the attempt failed, which is probably just as good -- 14 is kind of young to be playing in that league. Crosby appears to have never shaved.

Link>>>

Old
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:

There was a story in the Fredericton Gleaner a couple of weeks ago that Luc Deschenes might be applying. He is a 97 age DMan currently playing for the Fredericton Canadiens Midget Major team.

Last Canada Games he was on team NB and was the Captain of the NB U16 team as a 14 year old at the Atlantic Challenge Cup.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
There was a story in the Fredericton Gleaner a couple of weeks ago that Luc Deschenes might be applying. He is a 97 age DMan currently playing for the Fredericton Canadiens Midget Major team.

Last Canada Games he was on team NB and was the Captain of the NB U16 team as a 14 year old at the Atlantic Challenge Cup.
I knew someone from New Brunswick may try to get exemption status I couldnt remember his name, thanks for refreshing my memory

Old
01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
BLBarmada

Nathan Noel is a name that might try.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
I have never seen why he wasnt given exemption except for this article

Link>>>
Thats crazy that Halifax tried to get Sidney Crosby in the QMJHL when he was only 14 years old. I always thought they tried to get him when he was 15 for the 2002-2003 season. No wonder they didn't let him play. Has there ever been a 14 year old to play in the CHL, sounds a little far fetched to me? Also I think Sid is one of the reasons the CHL started doing the exceptional player status for 15 year olds. They realized that Sid probably could have won the scoring title on the Q when he was 15 that year, he was that good.

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 08:09 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Thats crazy that Halifax tried to get Sidney Crosby in the QMJHL when he was only 14 years old. I always thought they tried to get him when he was 15 for the 2002-2003 season. No wonder they didn't let him play. Has there ever been a 14 year old to play in the CHL, sounds a little far fetched to me? Also I think Sid is one of the reasons the CHL started doing the exceptional player status for 15 year olds. They realized that Sid probably could have won the scoring title on the Q when he was 15 that year, he was that good.
I think they messed up in the article he applied to play for the Mooseheads after his underage year in Dartmouth so he was going to be 15 for the season but he was not given the status so he went Shattuck......he did play Jr A for two games as a 14 year old though with Truro Jr.A I watched the games.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Bjindaho

Patrice Cormier tried to get exceptional player status under the new rule.

One of the conditions that hasn't been mentioned before here is that the player would have to be the #1 overall pick to have a shot.

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 03:08 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
Patrice Cormier tried to get exceptional player status under the new rule.

One of the conditions that hasn't been mentioned before here is that the player would have to be the #1 overall pick to have a shot.
I think top 3 should suffice, like Ekblad and Ho-Sang should have been able to go 1-2 last year.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 06:58 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
I think they messed up in the article he applied to play for the Mooseheads after his underage year in Dartmouth so he was going to be 15 for the season but he was not given the status so he went Shattuck......he did play Jr A for two games as a 14 year old though with Truro Jr.A I watched the games.
I do remember reading about Crosby playing a few games or a few shifts with the Truro Bearcats when he was 14 years old. How did Sid play? Did he score at all? Maybe if he would have dominated he would have got a chance to play with Halifax that season in the Q. I know John Tavares played with the Milton IceHawks in Junior A hockey league when he was 13 or 14, and he did quite well.

Also guys is it possible for an american player to be granted exceptional player status or is that rule just for canadiens? Also what are the age limits on playing Junior A hockey in Canada?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2012, 07:27 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Quote:
I do remember reading about Crosby playing a few games or a few shifts with the Truro Bearcats when he was 14 years old. How did Sid play? Did he score at all? Maybe if he would have dominated he would have got a chance to play with Halifax that season in the Q. I know John Tavares played with the Milton IceHawks in Junior A hockey league when he was 13 or 14, and he did quite well.

Also guys is it possible for an american player to be granted exceptional player status or is that rule just for canadiens? Also what are the age limits on playing Junior A hockey in Canada?
I believe you can play junior A in your home province at 16 or younger (as stated above with Crosby and Tavares). I believe at 17 you are allowed to go to the USHL or other provinces junior A leagues if you so choose I believe.

You bring up a great question about American players, I don't see why not but I think the player has to make it very clear he's going going to play major juniors no matter if Baie-Comeau, Kingston, Swift Current, Quebec, London, or Portland has the first pick.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:55 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:

Sid did well he had one assist in two games but he was not played too much but out there he was the best player on the ice, why the Truro coach did not want to play him more blows my mind.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote