HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds complete buyout of Brett Lebda - (Signed by Columbus on Jan 19th)

Old
08-12-2011, 07:38 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think this is BS frankly. He patiently built the Preds to the point of the 06-07 season...from scratch. In that season the preds were 3rd in the league in points. He had acquired Paul Kariya, traded for Sully, acquired JP and Arny and ultimately traded for Forsberg.

The Preds had the 3rd best record in the league (not division, not conference) behind only the Red Wings and Sabres. They had more wins than the Wings but less OTL's.... 3 measely points from being the #1 seed in the West. We had Must See TV as the best goalie in the league. We had a whopping 272 goals. We had a goal differential of +60, the sign of a dominant team.

That team featured baby players like Hartnell, Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Radulov.
It had everything to win a cup. Everything. Speed, balance, offense, defense, goaltending, toughness, role players.

Then they **** the bed against the Sharks. Good teams do that sometimes before they learn to win. That was a cup contending team if left intact for several seasons.

Then Liarpold shot our franchise in the head and left it to die.

Poile started over, almost from scratch. Lost Vokoun, lost Hartnell, lost Timmonen, lost Forsberg. All as a direct result of ownership. Lost Rads (maybe you can blame him but who knows how this would have turned out). Bye-bye Zids, Zanon, Kariya. Re-build turned over Mason, Hamhuis, JP, Arny, Sully, plus role players.

That 06-07 team had a 3-5 year window with a legit chance to win a cup. Instead, we nearly died but somehow underwent a not-too-painful rebuild that kept us out of the cellar and has us positioned where we are today. We stand a piece or two away from another window that could open for a team built on dominant defense and goaltending.... one of the youngest few teams in the league. One or two of those pieces could already be in house- Ellis, Wilson, Smith, Bergfors. One or two could be acquired this season with our available cash. One could be back next year in Rads.

Can Poile (or Weber/Suter/Rinne or injury or space debris) screw it up? Yes.

But the notion that Poile can't/has never built a team capable of going the distance is like an old wive's tale- a convenient but lazy way to order your life around a misreading of the world around you.
That team was very talented. Very. But, was it built to win in the playoffs? Who knows? Maybe you're right. I don't know and certainly can't fault you for disagreeing with me.

That said, Poile's built a lot of playoff teams. A lot. He's not yet built a Cup team. Me personally, I'm losing faith in his ability to do it.

That might be unfair (he's certainly had his share of bad luck). It might be unwarranted. Regardless, it's the opinion I currently have based upon his history (however unlucky it may be) and the perceptions out there today.

Like I've said before, I've learned the hard way that perceptions are reality until those perceptions are changed.

Now, what got lost in my original post (understandably) was my belief that the Franson/Lombardi/Lebda trade was a good one by Poile as was the buyout of Lebda. I also said that Poile should be given the opportunity to do something with the new found "budget room" and there's still lots of time for that to happen.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I think it a pretty circular argument to say he has "never built a cup team" because he didnt win a Cup.

by that logic, Vancouver's GM hasnt yet built a Cup team, and I think thats patently ridiculous since they reached Game 7 last year.

Poile built a Cup contender in Washington.

It can be argued that he built a Cup contender here but was forced to dismantle it before it could bear fruit.

And I believe he has us on a course to be a Cup contender now. Our window, if we can keep at least two of the Big three, will be these next three to four years.

Does he need to add a piece or two? Absolutely. Does it have to be a $7million 50 goal scorer? No.

So Im gonna wait and see what happens.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:02 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
According to CapGeek, after the buyout, we are now $125,000 over the cap floor.
That's before bringing up a 6th healthy defender.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think it a pretty circular argument to say he has "never built a cup team" because he didnt win a Cup.

by that logic, Vancouver's GM hasnt yet built a Cup team, and I think thats patently ridiculous since they reached Game 7 last year.

Poile built a Cup contender in Washington.

It can be argued that he built a Cup contender here but was forced to dismantle it before it could bear fruit.

And I believe he has us on a course to be a Cup contender now. Our window, if we can keep at least two of the Big three, will be these next three to four years.

Does he need to add a piece or two? Absolutely. Does it have to be a $7million 50 goal scorer? No.

So Im gonna wait and see what happens.
We won't be a Cup contender unless we keep the big Three and add on

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The "add on" is a given; simply can't expect enough scoring out of the kids we have coming up. They may be fine a few years out, but clearly not yet.

signing all of the Big 3 - I'm just not sure I agree that that is necessary to win a cup. I think you can make an argument for keeping any 2 of the 3 - some arguments better than others certainly - and still have an excellent chance at a cup. We have an incredible pipeline of Dmen - Blum can clearly play; all you really have to have is 1 more pan out. We always produce better-than-serviceable goalies.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I can could see a few scenarios where we are still highly competitive without one of the 3.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

He's baaaaaaaack!!!

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=612590

01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

Poor Columbus

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

It's come to this...

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Man, they're already having a bad season that's like salt in a wound.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Predsboro

From Aaron Portzline on Twitter: D Brett Lebda will make his #CBJ debut on Monday vs #Preds. Coach Todd Richards said Lebda will join Fedor Tyutin on top pair.

Lebda ... traded to Preds from Toronto, apparently hated by Wings fans, apparently so unable to break into our lineup with all our D prospects/talent that we bought him out ... playing on the TOP PAIR in Columbus.

Interesting ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
From Aaron Portzline on Twitter: D Brett Lebda will make his #CBJ debut on Monday vs #Preds. Coach Todd Richards said Lebda will join Fedor Tyutin on top pair.

Lebda ... traded to Preds from Toronto, apparently hated by Wings fans, apparently so unable to break into our lineup with all our D prospects/talent that we bought him out ... playing on the TOP PAIR in Columbus.

Interesting ...
It is Columbus after all

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote