HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Will Kesler get his speed back?

Old
01-18-2012, 09:44 PM
David71

vCash: 500
came back too early. short-offseason. pushing himself too hard.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Minimalist*

I do not want to share my opinions on Kesler, for fear of being flamed.

What I will say is, that here is a player whose value is higher than his actual worth. Kesler is a great hockey player, don't get me wrong. But I believe he punched above his weight last year.

I expect a 70 point excellent defensively 2c. I wouldn't put such lofty expectations on the guy, if he is on pace for anywhere between 65-75, he is right where he should be imo.

As for his legs, he will get them back. When coming off an injury and getting right back into the swing of things (which is just who Kesler is), fatigue is a very real thing. The body simply isn't used to the grind of being an NHL player, and he will struggle on a physical level something akin to that which he is likely not overly familiar with. It honestly could take months and months for him to get to the point where his body can deal with the grind like it did before the injury. Give it time.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:04 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
He obviously came back too early
The doctors and med staff should of put a rein on him and sat him out an additional month or so

So not fully healed and he's already taken some big hits which doesn't help
Joel Ward hit him hard on his hip the first week he was back and Kronwall hit him so hard,
it sent his forward motion backwards from the impact

Every hard hit he takes is contributing to his hip getting worse

Too bad the AllStar break may not be long enough for him to heal properly
Thanks doc.

If he's medically cleared then he's medically cleared. Probably won't be right for a while, it was surgery. Look at Malkin, or pretty much any other player who had surgery. Gonna take a while before it's back to 100%.

Hopefully he's good for the playoffs.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:07 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post

What I will say is, that here is a player whose value is higher than his actual worth. Kesler is a great hockey player, don't get me wrong. But I believe he punched above his weight last year.

I expect a 70 point excellent defensively 2c. I wouldn't put such lofty expectations on the guy, if he is on pace for anywhere between 65-75, he is right where he should be imo.

As for his legs, he will get them back. When coming off an injury and getting right back into the swing of things (which is just who Kesler is), fatigue is a very real thing. The body simply isn't used to the grind of being an NHL player, and he will struggle on a physical level something akin to that which he is likely not overly familiar with. It honestly could take months and months for him to get to the point where his body can deal with the grind like it did before the injury. Give it time.
The problem is he's horribly inconsistent, does nothing 5 on 5 and is on pace for only 60 points over a full season.

Needs to up his offensive production by a bit and start getting some ESP. It's a major problem for this team, outside of the Sedin line and Hansen.

Old
01-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
The problem is he's horribly inconsistent, does nothing 5 on 5 and is on pace for only 60 points over a full season.

Needs to up his offensive production by a bit and start getting some ESP. It's a major problem for this team, outside of the Sedin line and Hansen.
He was playing quite well before Booth went down.
Now that Booth is back in the line-up again, perhaps Kesler will be able to perform up to par again.

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 04:23 AM
RobertKron

Quote:

Isn't that what he was last year? 73 pts, Selke trophy.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Isn't that what he was last year? 73 pts, Selke trophy.
Well, yes. And no.

He scored 40 goals last year. He was a 73 point player, but nearly a ppg game player the last half of the season. Expectations were incredibly high for him to be around ppg this season.

I said 65, to be generous and avoid flaming, but to be perfectly honest anywhere between 60-70 is fine for him imo. I do not think is is offensively beyond that. Lets all be honest, playing a net presence on a pp with the twins has really padded his stats the past couple years.

Old
01-19-2012, 05:22 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Well, yes. And no.

He scored 40 goals last year. He was a 73 point player, but nearly a ppg game player the last half of the season. Expectations were incredibly high for him to be around ppg this season.

I said 65, to be generous and avoid flaming, but to be perfectly honest anywhere between 60-70 is fine for him imo. I do not think is is offensively beyond that. Lets all be honest, playing a net presence on a pp with the twins has really padded his stats the past couple years.
He's still playing on the best PP unit in the league. Where is the production?

Old
01-19-2012, 05:28 AM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
He's still playing on the best PP unit in the league. Where is the production?
Right where it should be. Which is what I've been saying. I wouldn't expect more than that. If he puts up 70, fantastic. 60ish? Good. That is what I expect out of him.

Old
01-19-2012, 07:10 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Right where it should be. Which is what I've been saying. I wouldn't expect more than that. If he puts up 70, fantastic. 60ish? Good. That is what I expect out of him.
Why not just expect 40 then you can be surprised every season.

He's coming off 2 straight 70 point seasons. why expect his production to drop 20%? That's like saying Stamkos is only a 70 point player.

I can see not expecting 40 goals, I would like 25-30.

Old
01-19-2012, 07:25 PM
WhatSayYou

I feel like he's still getting his garbage around the net hardworking goals, I think what he's missing this year is snipe goals. Last year his wrist shot was absolutely lethal, accounted for atleast 25% goals last year.

Seems like D-men are playing him much more aggressive trying to take away his wrister, alot of shots going into netting, but not the right one.

WhatSayYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Spice Trader

Lets Relax people..

He put up 70 + being a pass first player.
He then put up 70 + being a shoot first guy.
His defence and faceoffs are still top notch.

Kesler has higher expectations on himself than any of us have on him. You do not become a top notch athlete not thinking your one of the best...

Other thing to consider.. he has ALWAYS been streaky to say the least. he would score 9 goals in 10 games then go cold for 5-6 then heat up again.

Look at the time line..
Train like a maniac for Van and USA (dont get it twisted major factor) get extremely good results make it to SCF get a serious injury.

Cant Train but rush back asap cause your that kinda guy and your having an off season.. no puck luck little slower not in the best shape.. you start to push harder grip the stick tighter.. we all know how that goes..

Imo Kesler heats up as his lines gets more than 5 games together and by year end he scores 28-33 and has a great playoffs.

Depending on how we do this year (injuries luck matchups) him and booth train like mad men over the summer and next year lookout.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote