HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ted Black changing his tune?

Old
01-19-2012, 02:18 PM
puckish66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Honest question: Are you a lawyer or in politics? Because I've never seen anyone read into statements to pull something else out of it as much as you do.
Fair enough. Am I wrong though?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:25 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Fair enough. Am I wrong though?
If this is an honest question...

Until you're proven right... You're 100% wrong.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Yeah, that's what Gretzky said about the Devils, right before they became a perennial powerhouse. We should be so lucky.
That was the reference, all right.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I think it's a complete overread. It's a figure of speech. Doesn't really mean anything either way.

Maybe he was already planning to go, maybe he wasn't.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
aceface33

I dunno. In earlier interviews he said Ruff had their complete support. In this interview he basically said anyone can be fired. Seems like a change of tone to me.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I dunno. In earlier interviews he said Ruff had their complete support. In this interview he basically said anyone can be fired. Seems like a change of tone to me.
I think we're probably getting into tea-leaf reading territory here, but you could be right. Saying that they've answered that question before is a bit of a non-answer, or at least less definitive than previous interviews.

But honestly, I still think he'll be behind the bench at last until the end of this season.

I think the best/worst case scenario, depending on your perspective, is that Regier gets the boot and Ruff gets moved upstairs, either as GM or some kind of advisory or VP role. If that's what happens this summer, I'd be fine with it, as long as Ruff isn't made GM.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I think we're probably getting into tea-leaf reading territory here, but you could be right. Saying that they've answered that question before is a bit of a non-answer, or at least less definitive than previous interviews.

But honestly, I still think he'll be behind the bench at last until the end of this season.

I think the best/worst case scenario, depending on your perspective, is that Regier gets the boot and Ruff gets moved upstairs, either as GM or some kind of advisory or VP role. If that's what happens this summer, I'd be fine with it, as long as Ruff isn't made GM.
I don't think any legit hockey person would advise Pegula to make a former player, now coach, a GM without any assistant GM experience.

We could very well see something like this: Regier let go, new veteran GM brought in, Ruff promoted to assistant GM and maybe full time GM in a couple of years after he pays his dues.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 06:56 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Regarding Lindy Ruff's job security (yet again). I think that the fans and owners owe it to him to bring him back again next year but on a short leash. He's done SO MUCH for that organization and it would be a sin to abandon him after one very disapointing season that this time, may be his fault (or at least a percentage of it).
One disappointing season? What kind of fan are you? A sadist? We're about to go 5 straight years without 1 playoff round victory.

We owe it to Ruff to keep him for a 15th season? Based on what exactly? It's not a sin to fire a coach that has had his job for this long and has 0 championships to show for it. Far more successful coaches have been fired in far less time. Really? A "sin" ???? Is this the Buffalo Sabres or the Buffalo Ruffs? NO ONE IS BIGGER THAN THE ORGANIZATION.

Man...This is exactly what I'm talking about. How there are still Ruff Apologists after all of this is rather infuriating; and one of them owns the damn team.

ShaPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
Speaking of Sawyer, IMHO there was some pretty big news revealed on Ted's show this morning. It was subtle and open to interpretation, but clear to me.

Howard asked Ted if it's routine for Ken to travel with the team. Ted said Ken's son lives in Winnipeg, so he planned to be on the trip "anyway." "Anyway" is a dead giveaway to me that there's another reason Ken's on the trip.

Anybody's guess, but I think there's a high-level evaluation, of Lindy especially, going on. This makes me hopeful.
I thought I read or heard that Cliff Benson is also along as part of Pegula's advisory team with Black and Sawyer.

As for that evaluation, I think all 4 men being on the trip (and we saw Regier is on the trip as well, based on the pressbox shot MSG had from Monday's game) is evidence of high-level decisions being made. I doubt the discussions will be as much about Regier's or Ruff's future as it will be whether to try and rescue the season or give up and look towards next season. Tied to that would be how they want to approach the trade deadline and player moves.

Like others have speculated, I think ownership will re-evaluate what - if any - changes to management are needed when the offseason arrives.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:11 PM
littletonhockeycoach

All this talk about the Sabres head shed on the road trip reminds me of Joe McGraff joining the bus trip with the Charlestown Chiefs........

"Who'se the owner Joe?"

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
gallagt01

I always find it interesting to read the opinion of established hockey minds regarding the sabres.

Bobby Holik, who now runs a blog, mentioned Ruff in a "Top coaches in the NHL" entry.

Quote:
Lindy Ruff has done great job in his 10+ years in Buffalo, yet he’s finding out that coaching a team with high priced free agents, and resigned Sabres FAs is little different than the cash-strapped Sabres teams of the past. Previously, Coach Ruff worked with whoever Sabres’ GM Darcy Regier brought up through the system or the marginal free agents they had signed. Those players needed different coaching than the big-money-free agents, and Lindy was superior at bringing them success. Look no further then Brian Campbell, Chris Drury and Danny Briere. However, it’s extremely difficult to get a team with home grown players and free agents to gel. Lindy is good enough coach to accomplish that, but judging from the first half, it’s not easy.
I'm not saying I agree, I just think this post can add some perspective to Ruff's situation in Buffalo.

http://holikonhockey.com/bobby-blog/...ches/#more-157

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
All this talk about the Sabres head shed on the road trip reminds me of Joe McGraff joining the bus trip with the Charlestown Chiefs........

"Who'se the owner Joe?"
owns, OWNS

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote